New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [Wild West Settlers]OOC: Into the yonder we go!

Welcome to the Wild West Settlers, a Weird West FFRP of survival in a harsh land and the supernatural.

Welcome to the settlement of Buckeye, a small little oasis in the center of a harsh environment set in the late 1800s. Try not to stray too far by yourself, because aside from the desert there may be unexplainable things that will try to claim you too. Located in the harsh southwestern desert, somewhere in a fictional Arizona, the frontier settlement of Buckeye is doing its best to make a name for itself and simply survive what nature has to dish out.

Story has it that there here be gold in these rocky hills and was the incentive for most folks to come and establish this here settlement. Though others also came for a fresh new start, adventure opportunities, and some may have come to escape the law. While many have their different reason, one thing is the same, is the need to work together if they're going to survive this unforgiving land.

The Quick and Brief History of Buckeye
    Spoiler
    Show

Buckeye
    , is the name of the settlement, named after the founder, sorta. His name was Thompson Jones but he had an accident where he was bucked in the face by a horse over a dare to stick his head behind the horse's butt. He wasn't very smart. He died a week later when he ate some bad raw eggs.

At the start of the game, its been three months so far since Buckeye was settled. A lot of it is still a raw frontier town.

============================================

Map of Buckeye and the Surrounding Desert

Spoiler
    Show

============================================

Points of Interest
    Spoiler
    Show

In Town

The General Store- It more of a small shed with limited stock where most of the settlement's resources are kept. Also is where you can order items, though shipment can take a while since couriers would have to travel to other towns which are a bit on the far side. Manned half the time by the Smith siblings.

The Spit Take Saloon- Well its not really much of a classic saloon as it is your below par watering hole. You can find a decent variety of watered down alcoholic drinks and gruel. Most folks come here to just mingle and share stories, its more of a social gathering place. Manned by an NPC at the moment.

The Desert

The Devil's Door- A mile wide sinkhole, some 30 miles North of Buckeye.

-More Areas to be added when they're suggested or come up-

Character Sheet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name:
    Skills: (I figure that our characters have at least two to three skills, such as wood chopping, carpentry, farming, etc. If you have an idea for a skill and are unsure if its an okay one, feel free to inquire about it)
    Personality:
    Appearance:
    Background:
    Relationships: {i.e friends, family, enemies, romantic interests, stuff like that)
    Weapon: (Most will probably use guns, from that cowboy time period of course, so none of them modern weapons. Most bladed weapons are fine too, along with most bludgeoning weapons)

=====
    =====

Last edited by Benson; 2011-12-07 at 02:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Wild West Settlers]OOC: Into the yonder we go!

I want to make an outlaw type character! A leader of a bandit group! I don't have much right now except her name will be Suzannah Stone. Or something similar to that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes! First to make a farmer!
    Name: Johnny Mcgoldric
    Skills: Farming, Carpentry, Whittling
    Personality: To be seen
    Appearance: A dusty man with sun bleached hair from working his farm and tan skin from working along with a tough body also gained from working. His eyes are dark brown.
    Background: Johnny Mcgoldric was one of the very first who came here and he quickly claimed a fertile plot of land for farming. He took one of the few pieces of land with trees and quickly built his farm, ordering seeds from the General Store. He has planted various types of crops and is a big supplier of wood to the town(he replants trees that grow fast) currently. His trees will run out soon, but he cuts very few down.
    Relationships: He has a wife and two sons.
    Weapon: None really unless you count his tools for carpentry. And a knife, for whittling.
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2011-11-04 at 09:17 PM.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

4. - Top - End - #4

About how many characters will we want before we start up with RP? Five or seven seem like good numbers to me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Nathan Shantar
    Skills: Hunting, Blacksmithing

Personality: Nathan is a man of few words. He isn't particularly rude, but he isn't the kindest person, either. He isn't all too sociable, but is more than willing to share a drink or two with a friend.

Appearance: The man is tall, has sandy skin, and is well-built. He has black hair, but it's almost always covered by his hat. He tends to wear a long leather duster over his normal clothing. Unlike most hunters, he keeps his spare ammunition in a pouch on his hip, rather than a bandolier.

Background: Nathan came to Buckeye roughly two weeks after it was founded. When he came, he had little more than a fully loaded rifle, extra ammo, his clothes, and dreams of finding gold. He's since become a supplier of furs and meats from his hunting skills, and is also a decent enough blacksmith.

Relationships: He tells people about his friends at another city, but never mentions any sort of family or relationships.
    Weapon: Winchester lever-action rifle.
    Last edited by Devixer; 2011-11-04 at 05:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Just remember even the fastest growing trees will take several months to grow, and its only been around three months. The settlers would likely first start off with wood and supplies they brought with them in their wagons, and supplement the rest with a mix of McGoldrics and the few surrounding droves of trees, at least until McGoldric's trees get big enough to cut down again, which would be while. This is a RP about survival in a harsh land, can't have it too easy for them can we
    ==
    ==

I'm going to play the "sheriff" type leader guy/settlement leader's son, it only makes sense. xD

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Bill Jones
    Skills: Gunplay and holding his liquor

Personality: He's ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, must be an inheritance from his late father, but he's that naive fool with a heart of gold. He believes in justice and fairplay, and tends to take another at face value. He's that chaste hero sort.

Appearance: He's of that brainless beauty variety with a dash of a young Gary Cooper with some peach fuzz. He sports a dark brown duster coat, vest with chain that's attached to his pocket watch, sports a red bandana around his neck, black slacks, typical cowboy sheriff gear.

Background: He's the son of the late Thompson Jones, founder of the settlement. After his father died he took over in leading the community. Surprising he's fared as a decent leader, though it helps that nothing *that* significantly troubling has happened. Like female bandit leaders

Relationships: His momma who he loves dearly.
    Weapon: Two colt frontier revolvers

Sure, when we get about 5-7 players we'll start. As for things like fluff and establishing the setting, fleshing it out some more, I figure as we go along it'll become more clear.
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-11-04 at 06:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moofin Bard View Post
    I want to make an outlaw type character! A leader of a bandit group! I don't have much right now except her name will be Suzannah Stone. Or something similar to that.
    Can I work with you on this Moofin? Cuz I was also thinking of doing this. I could play some guy who was co-leader or something like that.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sure Shiro! Actually she would most definitely be in charge. But she'll probably let him pretend to be in charge. They can be siblings! PM me?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony

8. - Top - End - #8

Sure Shiro! Actually she would most definitely be in charge. But she'll probably let him pretend to be in charge. They can be siblings! PM me?
    Sure thing. Gun toting duo?
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Fixed Farmer Mcgoldrick's profile in mind with Benson's suggestions.

On that note, would anyone like to RP one of the Mcgoldrick boys or Mrs. Mcgoldrick?
    I think it would be especially fun if someone RP'ed on of the sons to want to draw and be an artist so his father would be able to constantly shoot down his dreams
    Busy with Life

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Fixed Farmer Mcgoldrick's profile in mind with Benson's suggestions.

On that note, would anyone like to RP one of the Mcgoldrick boys or Mrs. Mcgoldrick?
    I think it would be especially fun if someone RP'ed on of the sons to want to draw and be an artist so his father would be able to constantly shoot down his dreams
    I kinda wanna be the wife... But I don't know if I should play two characters or not...
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah I finally put my bandit up. Enjoy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Jessie Smith
    Skills: Rationing, Math and whatnot
    Personality: Jessie is a stern and confidant young woman when she's working and wont take any nonsense from anyone. When she's off work however, she's kind and friendly and really talkative. She's also a little ball of energy.
    Appearance: Jessie has long, curly black hair and deep blue eyes. Her skin is pale. She's tall and wears black and white dresses, with vertical striped black stockings, and black boots.
    Background: Jessie arrived here only a few weeks ago with her older brother and they're a couple of the newer settlers in town. Since she has a good head for numbers and rationing, she volunteered to work in the general store and make sure everyone has enough food and supplies.
    Relationships: She's kind of close with her brother but doesn't seem to like his no good ways.
    Weapon: Why would a lady carry a weapon?
    ------
    (This is the same person!)
    Name: The Coyote
    Skills: Leadership skills, some skills with a gun, more with knives
    Personality: The coyote is said to be ruthless. She is one of the bandits that have sprung up in this small settlement. She doesn't really take sass from anyone and is quick to anger. She loves adventure.
    Appearance: She has a black braid and that's all one can really tell physically. She wears a long red duster coat over a red and black corset, black pants, and red and black boots.
    Backstory: No one actually knows much about the coyote except that she's always seen around the that other Smith. In reality, she's the one in charge and giving her brother the orders. She lets him pretend to be in charge because he's the better fighter and more people accept a male leader.
    Weapons: Three small daggers hidden in her boots and a double barrel shotgun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Samuel Smith
    Skills: An expert marksman who is skilled in gunmanship and hunting.
    Personality: Though rowdy and violent, he does care deeply about his sister.
    Appearance: He has short black hair and blue eyes, he is pretty tall compared to most people. He wears pretty sweet cowboy clothes.
    Background: Samuel arrived here only a few weeks ago with his younger sister and they're a couple of the newer settlers in town. Though he is known to be a trouble maker in town, he does provide the town with much needed meat from his hunting trips. Word has it he has become a bandit of late.
    Relationships: His sister Jessie.
    Weapons: Two Smith & Wesson revolvers, some throwing knives, and a whip.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so I has an IC Thread up

Wild West Settlers

14. - Top - End - #14

Betty McGoldric

Spoiler
    Show
    Skills: Housekeeping, farming, bullying her husband.
    Personality: A tough woman, she is hard working and as brave as any many. She has a powerful personality.
    Appearance: A large heavy-set woman, she is very strong, and has scraggly brown hair and hazel eyes. She usually wears something both nice, and sensible for farm work.
    Background: Betty Mcgoldric was one of the very first who came here and she quickly claimed a fertile plot of land for farming. She came with her husband and works hard on the farm and as a mother and wife.
    Relationships: Her husband Johnny and two sons.
    Weapons: Herself. She's pretty damn strong.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Mindfreak, I'd be interested in playing the artistic son, if you don't mind. ^_^

Also, someone mentioned this as having 'd&d elements'. Therefore would it be possible to be a herbalist/medicine dealer who really is a mage, but is hiding his identity?
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    Mindfreak, I'd be interested in playing the artistic son, if you don't mind. ^_^

Also, someone mentioned this as having 'd&d elements'. Therefore would it be possible to be a herbalist/medicine dealer who really is a mage, but is hiding his identity?
    By d&d elements I meant more like the dnd monsters that exist in the desert. Most of these characters are of the normal commoner variety, who'll likely face off against things that just ain't natural. Though the herbalist/medicine dealer concept sounds pretty swell. This settlement could use a doctor

17. - Top - End - #17

Ah, well. I'll just stick with the bit of a mystic medicine man then.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems as though Jessie is already the settlement's most eligible bachelorette as she's the only non married female we have so far. This might make things interesting.

Unless I eventually make my inventor girl who might eventually invent steam power thus allowing us to be a bit steampunkish.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just looking forward a little bit when the naive Bill finds out that the sweet Jessie who gives him apples every so often is really a badguy bandit leader.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking of making a rancher or a gunsmith...
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey he doesn't have to find out. Besides, no one even knows she's the leader besides her brother. Everyone thinks he is. Besides, The Coyote is the bandit. Jessie's just a young lady working at the general shack.

EDIT: Do eeeeet. We'd love you.
    Last edited by Moofin Bard; 2011-11-05 at 12:48 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Hey he doesn't have to find out. Besides, no one even knows she's the leader besides her brother. Everyone thinks he is. Besides, The Coyote is the bandit. Jessie's just a young lady working at the general shack.

EDIT: Do eeeeet. We'd love you.
    Oh but he's gonna want to take/track down this 'fella' and bring him to justice and all that yadda yadda cliche. He's lawful naive like that.

Though Its not gonna be something that happens in one day, it could be a mini arc taking place over several weeks or months as he tries to figure out the identity of The Coyote.
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-11-05 at 03:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post

Indian Medicine Man?
    They had those.
    I think.

And it would be awesome to RP with you!
    So yeah, I don't mind. (^-^)
    Busy with Life

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

So, a little plot thread idea.

After Bill finishes up his business with Nathan about the rattlesnake, he goes back to riding around the perimeter of the settlement to keep an eye out for trouble and stuff. Just off in the distance possibly near an out cropping of rocks, he sees what looks like a body of a man. Concerned he goes to check this out and it turns out its not a townie but some new stranger. A quick examination reveals him to be a bit alive with what looks to be animal bites. Well this ain't nothing strange, as coyotes do roam the area. However, this stranger has quite the tale to tell about an encounter he had.
    --

Essentially, it'll be the settlement's first contact with the whole Weird West genre as I like to think that so far, that the first 3 months went relatively fine with just minor problems like coyotes stealing chickens and stuff.
    Oh Buckeye, yer like an oasis in this desert really, naturally trouble's gonna be attracted to it

Also, I need to get around to drawing a map and include other special land marks around the area outside of town.

Feel free to contribute ideas on the sort of land marks. Such as perhaps up 30 miles north there's an impressive sinkhole said to be so deep that some call it the Devil's Door. Whether that's true or not, no one knows for sure, as far as anyone knows its just a superstitious folk tale.

A lot of these locations could be used as sites for future plot arcs/episodes.
    Last edited by Benson; 2011-11-05 at 11:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I kinda want a plot where the bandits try to shake the town down for cash.
    Then the town has a war with them.
    Or something like that.

I feel like having Farmer Mcgoldrick eventually allow his son to be an artist though(if Bladescape is still up for that).
    Busy with Life

26. - Top - End - #26

Now y'all just hold your horses. We'll be getting to bandit plots soon, don't go worrying your purty little overalls off.
    LGBTitP
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    I kinda want a plot where the bandits try to shake the town down for cash.
    Then the town has a war with them.
    Or something like that.

I feel like having Farmer Mcgoldrick eventually allow his son to be an artist though(if Bladescape is still up for that).
    Hey that can happen to! That could be the focus of the next plot line. After a brisk flirtation with the supernatural that only brings up more questions and offers very little answers, our characters will find themselves a bit thankful for a less confusing problem xD

Though frankly, out here, bandits would more likely try to shake the town down for supplies and food rather than gold.

Also, at some point, a mine for gold will get established in an area that they think there's gold desposits. Hey, that's what most of the people here came for

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so I fixed up the OP post to make more...presentable and organized. As always if ya think I should add something to it, please let me know.

29. - Top - End - #29

May I join in?

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Matthias Koch
    Skills: Mining, demolition, digging
    Personality: He is an optimistic and eccentric man, a horrible enemy, and a great friend. He is lighthearted, and it takes a lot to get him angry, but when he does be prepared. He is not at all shy, and loves to meet new people. When there are festivities he gets extremely boisterous.
    Appearance: He has medium long black hair and a bushy mustache, which he grooms with great care. He wears overalls when working, but when going into town for more formal affairs can be seen wearing a nice set of average clothing. He is not a very large man, but his countenance is proud and strong.
    Background: Ever since he was a little boy in whatever area this world calls Germany Matthias has dreamed of striking it rich in the land of economic opportunity. He heard about the rich mining opportunities and quickly became attached to the idea of becoming the greatest miner, and opening up his own company. Once he makes enough money he would also like to send some back to his family in Germany.
    Relationships: Matthias hitched a ride with another German family who came out this way but decided to continue past the town rather than stop, they were his only relations in pretty much the whole country.
    Weapon: Pickaxe, dynamite (if he has any), shovel

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

By all means please do!

And yeah the bandit arc probably wont be started until the town gets settled a little more. There's not much to steal now anyway. Until then, Jessie will just be pilfering a few extra supplies that she can get away with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral itP
    Couple itP
    Pyrope FwM pony