The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default How much money would this character make if he sold all his stuff?

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=279012

I've played this character for about two years, he's the only D&D character I've ever played, and our campaign just ended. I won't be playing him again.

I'm not all that familiar with D&D, and almost all of these items were rewards for completed quests, or looted treasure. I don't know their monetary value. So I'm wondering, if this character sold all his stuff, how much money could he make? Is it enough to live comfortably?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: How much money would this character make if he sold all his stuff?

The +7 breastplate alone would be enough to live comfortably on.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

+1 shocking greatsword = 8350 GP
    +3 flaming greatsword = 32350 GP
    +1 greataxe = 2310 GP
    Spiked gauntlet = 5 GP
    Gauntlet of Rust = 11500 GP
    +7 mithral breastplate = 494200 GP (This stuff is epic, hence ridiculously expensive)
    Necklace of barkskin +2 = 8000 GP
    Ring of Protection +2 = 8000 GP
    Ring of Water walking = 15000 GP
    Cloak of Resistance +1 = 1000 GP
    First greatsword = 50 GP, if not masterwork
    40' rope = 0.8 GP
    Currency = 75.49 GP

30 precious stones = indeterminable

Net worth = 580841.29 GP, or 290458.39 GP after liquidation. This is a fortune.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-11-15 at 06:15 AM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    +Net worth = 580841.29 GP, or 290458.39 GP after liquidation. This is a fortune.
    It is also fairly meaningless out of context. So, lets look at the cost of living chart in the DMG. Based on memory:
    40 Gp/Month = Comfortable life.
    290458 Gp/ 40 (Gp/Month) = 7,262 months.
    7,262 months = 605 years.

So, you get to live comfortably for 605 years on this, and nothing else. Moreover, this is based on the D&D equivalent of staying in a nice hotel for all that time, so it goes up significantly if you assume a house. Some rounding was involved for the figures.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2011-11-15 at 06:31 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow, I had no idea this character had so much money. Thank you so much Ernir for calculating all that, and Knaight!

Since he's a human, he definitely won't live 605 years (unless he wants to pass money onto his children, if he has any).

How expensive is a house? Would he be able to afford a decent one for the rest of his life, assuming he lives to, say, 50? I think that's how long people lived back then.
    Last edited by Bogard; 2011-11-15 at 07:04 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

D&D has basically the equivalent of modern medicine in the form of various healing magic and in some cases far beyond. Someone that wealthy would be able to avail themselves of such services and probably live longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bogard View Post
    How expensive is a house? Would he be able to afford a decent one for the rest of his life, assuming he lives to, say, 50? I think that's how long people lived back then.
    A few things.
    1) Life expectancy is primarily a function of infant mortality. The whole 30 year figure gets thrown around a lot for the middle ages, but if you made it past 2 and didn't get sucked into a war you could expect to live well past 30. That said, medicine does have an effect - and D&D magic outpaces modern medicine rather significantly. So, assume he lives to be 80 at the very least.

2) A house is 1000 gp for something like a standard house for someone of most classes. If you want to go for the rich merchant house, you get a good 5000 gp. So, even with the rich merchant's house, you get to live there a good 590 years, while paying hotel prices. If you wanted to just blow your money on houses, you could have a village of 1 luxurious house and 285 normal houses, all funded by you. And that assumes you are buying existing things. In short, this house is practically a rounding error.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2011-11-15 at 07:17 AM.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.