New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [DnD 3.5] [NPC Class] Gunpowder Trooper [PEACH]

Gunpowder Trooper

NPC "Warrior" for a society where gunpowder weapons are becoming more common place in the standing armies.

Hit Die
    d6.

Class Skills
    The Gunpowder Trooper’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Knowledge (Military Tactics), Ride (Dex), and Spot (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level
    (2 + Int modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
    2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
    1 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | Firearms Formations
    2 | +2 | +0 | +0 | +0 |
    3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
    4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | +1 |
    5 | +5 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Bayonet Techniques
    6 | +6/+1 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
    7 | +7/+2 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
    8 | +8/+3 | +2 | +2 | +2 |
    9 | +9/+4 | +3 | +3 | +3 |
    10 | +10/+5 | +3 | +3 | +3 | Cool Under Fire
    11 | +11/+6/+1 | +3 | +3 | +3 |
    12 | +12/+7/+2 | +4 | +4 | +4 |
    13 | +13/+8/+3 | +4 | +4 | +4 |
    14 | +14/+9/+4 | +4 | +4 | +4 |
    15 | +15/+10/+5 | +5 | +5 | +5 | Firearms Expertise
    16 | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +5 |
    17 | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +5 |
    18 | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +6 |
    19 | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +6 |
    20 | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +6 | +6 | +6 | Bayonet Expertise
    [/table]

Class Features
    The following is a class feature of the Gunpowder Trooper NPC class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    The Gunpowder Trooper is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons, Bayonet's, all firearms (as listed in the DMG), light and medium armor and all shields (except tower shields).

Firearms Formations
    These apply only if EVERY member of the unit has these abilities.

Musket shot wall
    When a unit of Gunpowder Trooper's fire a volley that is not a concentrated volley, the Reflex save to avoid being hit is at +5DC.

Cloud of lead
    If firing a concentrated volley using only muskets an 1 damage dice is added to the dice total.

Move and Fire
    If a unit is 4 or more ranks deep the unit may fire a full 2-rank volley every round. If doing so it advances 10' each round as the ranks swap around regardless of if it want's to or not. This may only be used if the unit is in light armor and not carrying a heavy load.

Bayonet Techniques
    Troopers learn how to quickly and efficiently fix and remove Bayonet's and how to effectively use them in combat.

Fixing a Bayonet is a move action instead of a standard action.

In combat when fighting with a Bayonet the Gunpowder Trooper may block attacks with the rifle itself. This gives a +2 Dodge Bonus to AC. This may only be used if the character is in light armor and not carrying a heavy load.

Cool Under Fire
    Now a seasoned Veteran the Gunpowder Trooper does not flinch when under fire from enemy troops.
    These apply only if EVERY member of the unit has these abilities.

Gunpowder Trooper units receive +4 to morale checks from taking casualties from missile fire.

Gunpowder Troopers also receive +2 to saves against fear effects.

Firearms Expertise
    An expert in the musket the Gunpowder Trooper wields it to greater effect at range.

All Musket volleys lead by the Gunpowder Trooper with this ability receive +2 to hit.

If an entire unit has this ability, or the Gunpowder Trooper is alone then Muskets receive a +10% skilled bonus to range increment.

Bayonet Expertise
    The Bayonet becomes a lethal weapon in the hands of the truly experienced Gunpowder warrior.

A Fixed Bayonet now deals an extra +2 Damage in melee.
    The Dodge bonus to Armor class improves to +3. This still only applies if the character is in light armor and not carrying a heavy load.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2011-11-16 at 09:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 3.5] [NPC Class] Gunpowder Trooper

Weapons

{table=head] Simple Weapons* |Cost |Dmg (M) | Critical | Range | Weight | Damage | Type
    One-handed
    Pistol | 250gp | 1D10 | x3 | 50ft | 3lb | Piercing
    Two-handed
    Musket | 500gp | 1D12 | x3 | 150ft | 8lb | Piercing
    Extras
    Bayonet+ | 10gp | 1D6 | 19-20/x2 | -- | 2lb | Piercing
    [/table]

See page 145 of the DMG for full rules and costs associated with muskets.

*Only if these firearms are commonplace in your world. Else they are Exotic Weapons only.

+Bayonet may be used like a knife one-handed. This incurs a -2 to attack rolls. When fixed for a musket it functions as a spear and must be used two-handed. It receives no additional penalty to wield it when fixed to a musket.

Heroes of Battle additions

Muskets do not work as per normal when firing volleys.
    Musket volleys may only fire direct volleys, never indirect volleys (see Heroes of battle page 69).

A unit of musket-wielding soldiers may chose one of the following:

• The first two rows of a musket line may fire at once but the unit cannot move that turn as per normal.
    • The first row only may fire and the unit may move it's normal move rate x1 as part of the volley action.

Commander Aura

Musket Line Commander
    Commander Rating: 3+
    Prerequisites: Proficient in firearms, Knowledge (Military Tactics) 7+
    Benefit: Units within 30' of you that are comprised only of troops armed with muskets may re-roll 1 non-concentrated fire roll each turn.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2011-11-27 at 04:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 3.5] [NPC Class] Gunpowder Trooper [PEACH]

I am aiming for a low tier NPC class that low level followers can take in order to become effective battlefield musket infantry using the Heroes of Battle book.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Way way way too good as a 1 level dip. I mean it doubles damage for all intents and purposes with an already decent maneuver, were I using this I'd give a few groups of 10 elite soldiers arrow slits (9/10 cover or some such silliness) than have them rain down destruction on key components of the enemy army while firing en mass at the opposing army over a wall, than sprinkle in some clerics (I'm good with clerics) to keep everyone perfectly healthy. To double that damage for a one level dip would be silly
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

That is not how it works.

I strongly suggest that you read pages 68-70 of the Heroes of Battle book about volley fire in large scale battles first before further commenting.

A concentrated volley affects only 1 square/1 target. Damage is normally 1/5th. So this increases damage to 2/5ths is all. However it has a high DC to hit (DC 20) and only BAB, INT of the unit leader and range penalties are used.
    A typical unit leader or unit captain is no more than 1-2 levels above the troops.
    So a level 1 unit of musketeers lead by a level 3 commander has generally at best 4-range penalties (usually -2 at least).

Thus a unit of 10 musketeers in a 5x2 formation with only 9 men firing should have 1D20+2 roll DC 20 to hit with a concentrated volley dealing 4D12 damage only with no chance of a crit roll (they are no crits on volleys), firing only once every second turn.

Also muskets cannot indirect fire only direct fire so no firing over walls. Arrow slits break up for the formation meaning that they cannot perform grouped fire actions. Which means that none of these abilities apply at all in such an instance.

It must be a solid block of men at least 2 ranks deep in order for any of these to function.

But as I said. In order to fully understand the implications of this class I strongly suggest you read the Heroes of battle book.

This class is not usable by PCs to any real serious effect.
    You need entire units of men in order for it to have any function.
    It is an NPC class only.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2011-11-16 at 04:45 PM.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'll speak bold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    That is not how it works.

I strongly suggest that you read pages 68-70 of the Heroes of Battle book about volley fire in large scale battles first before further commenting. I did...

A concentrated volley affects only 1 square/1 target. Damage is normally 1/5th. So this increases damage to 2/5ths is all. However it has a high DC to hit (DC 20) and only BAB, INT of the unit leader and range penalties are used.and 1/5->2/5 is doubling as I said, as is removing a save for half
    A typical unit leader or unit captain is no more than 1-2 levels above the troops. True, though were I to use this I's make one elite unit and were this available I'd take a 1 level dip to give them 2X damage on concentrated volleys specifically since than they may fire extra arrows.
    So a level 1 unit of musketeers lead by a level 3 commander has generally at best 4-range penalties (usually -2 at least). true

Thus a unit of 10 musketeers in a 5x2 formation with only 9 men firing should have 1D20+2 roll DC 20 to hit with a concentrated volley dealing 4D12 damage only with no chance of a crit roll (they are no crits on volleys), firing only once every second turn. I understand this

Also muskets cannot indirect fire only direct fire so no firing over walls. Arrow slits break up for the formation meaning that they cannot perform grouped fire actions. Which means that none of these abilities apply at all in such an instance. Ah, forgot about that bit, than a caster with a readied wall spell to use in the case that the oncoming attack looks to bad

It must be a solid block of men at least 2 ranks deep in order for any of these to function. I know

But as I said. In order to fully understand the implications of this class I strongly suggest you read the Heroes of battle book. Sorry, I thought you meant the whole book, not just this section

This class is not usable by PCs to any real serious effect.
    You need entire units of men in order for it to have any function.
    It is an NPC class only.This I also understand, and it's good for say a player with the leadership score to use for his followers, were this faceless character to have higher level followers than the elite group with concentrated fire would work all too well at taking out lone targets. (due to the limit of people that can launch concentrated fire at any one square)
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The removal of the save for half is only applied with a normal volley at normal damage. I should clarify that.
    The extra damage only applies to concentrated shot (which allows the Ref save).

This class and it's abilities only applies to those using muskets in large formations. Someone taking a dip in this and using bows/crossbows would gain no benefit at all.
    In fact a dip in this class is only useful for the firearms proficiency. Nothing else can be used except during large scale battles using the HoB volley rules and only when the entire unit is armed with muskets.

Yes a caster could just raise a wall of some-sort rendering the muskets useless. lol.

As for taking out lone targets well. The DC is not mutable or changeable nor are the bonuses. I don't know, maybe a block of sun elves with muskets would do super well. lol.

But given that on average you will need an 18+ just to hit and the damage is variable (you double the number of dice rolled, not the actual damage) the chances of a PC being killed by concentrated musket fire is low.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I made some clarifications above.

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still bold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    The removal of the save for half is only applied with a normal volley at normal damage. I should clarify that.
    The extra damage only applies to concentrated shot (which allows the Ref save). It was clear, but that's the majority of volleying that's doubling there between the two...

This class and it's abilities only applies to those using muskets in large formations. Someone taking a dip in this and using bows/crossbows would gain no benefit at all.
    In fact a dip in this class is only useful for the firearms proficiency. Nothing else can be used except during large scale battles using the HoB volley rules and only when the entire unit is armed with muskets. I know, but you can still enchant them and get characters with more attacks/round for your 'elite squad' no?

Yes a caster could just raise a wall of some-sort rendering the muskets useless. lol. Readied actions are my best friend

As for taking out lone targets well. The DC is not mutable or changeable nor are the bonuses. I don't know, maybe a block of sun elves with muskets would do super well. lol. The DC pales at higher levels, and half damage with good dice behind them is still good, and few laugh at the possibility of getting that extra dice/round, not to mention doubling that.

But given that on average you will need an 18+ just to hit and the damage is variable (you double the number of dice rolled, not the actual damage) the chances of a PC being killed by concentrated musket fire is low.I tend to call a fireball doing 20d6 double the damage of one dealing 10d6 despite variability. As I saw it we're attacking the square, so we have a decent chance to hit... Not to mention what no save does when this is used en mass at the little guys...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Most volleys on the battlefield are standard volleys at DC 15 only. Else you would never kill enough enemy soldiers.

Concentrated volleys are more for large monsters etc.

No matter what you do a musket unit can only ever fire 1 volley a turn at best because it takes a standard action to reload. lol.

So enchanting/characters with more attacks, makes no difference with a musket unit. Which is why they require some extra abilities over an archer unit that can fire half a dozen volleys a turn if done right.

The DC does not change at higher levels and if you field huge armies placing a level 20+ character in every unit of 100 musketeers just is not going to happen. lol.

Under standard epic leadership even, you would not expect the captains of each squad to be higher than level 5. So 1D20+5 (int cancelled out by range) as a total is about as good as it gets.

I changed it to +1 1D12 dice only. So no doubles anymore.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

a standard action goes to less than a move action with rapid reload feat... (full round goes to move), also you misunderstand, a volley is a full round action anyways, it's that you could fire more than 1 attack/troop with concentrated fire. than again with quick draw you could still flip through muskets and reload later

All the same it's not the major unit I'm as worried about as lets say we had he bizarre senerio in which you had a million musket men with line of sight with an army of a million, you would be able to hit them all and plow them down at great distances without them even having the chance of a save, surly were there level 10s in there they could probably make the saves, and anything higher will more than likely make it in this bizarre epic thought experiment, so than could you see how double damage could do a real number on them? (especially if they must traverse the (130' range increment*10 max range increments) 1300' between them and you before really fighting back?

Now I know muskets are cool, but I suggest you spread it out more and don't toss such bonuses for the first level

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

lol. Yes I could make a unit 1 million guys with muskets and drop a level 30 character in it so that they always hit. Then no save would screw the enemy and I could easily pick of even epic characters with double-damage concentrated fire.

But units should not be more than 100 at a time anyway.

Actually 20 across and 5 deep, with a standard bearer, drummer and captain is a complete unit and what should be fielded.
    Also note that only the front 2 ranks can fire at best. So that is a typical area 20 across and 2 deep. If they were archers they could fire 20 across and 5 deep. So musket units are already pretty heavily penalised in comparison.

I changed damage to +1 dice only, regardless of the numbers of dice being used.
    I changed the save to +5DC instead.

I added a requirement for the entire unit the have the same ability in order to be able to use it and some abilities now require the troopers to be in light/no armor and un-emcumbered as well.
    Last edited by Gaiyamato; 2011-11-16 at 10:26 PM.

Show