The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    I would like a new base class a NPC of which is capable of being a tough fight for a group of 4 moderate-to-high optimization, equal leveled (to it and each other) Gestalt characters. The NPC is on working its own (no allies or minions), and the class takes up both "sides" of the gestalt. The class should be focused on Arcane magic, and should:

    • grant secrets of from all 3 Towers of High Sorcery (dragonlance)
    • grant an Archmage's High Arcana, though at a reduced rate
    • count as a Spell Savant of half level for the purpose of Legacy Weapons (or whatever those things are called)
    • have Knowledge and Music as a bard
    • have other class features, too


    The character is a BBEG, and I would like the class to be incredibly over-the-top. Also, the game is very Epic-level, and the character has really high (even for his level) mental ability scores.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2011-11-19 at 10:17 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Hiro Protagonest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Lightning Warrior, but only if you give it familiar and specialization and all the class features you specified.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-11-19 at 10:29 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Lightning Warrior, but only if you give it familiar and specialization and all the class features you specified.
    While recognizing the joke, an animal companion might be better. Not sure, though, since the familiar would be stronger than a Wizard's or Sorcerer's familiar due to being derived from the Lightning Warrior's stats...

    But a tier 0 class should definitely have the option of having a panther or such familiar.
    3DS Friend Code: 4742-9573-4652

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Seerow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    The big thing you're going to want is a ridiculous amount of action economy. If this guy is facing 4 high op epic level gestalt PCs, he needs both a ton of defenses, and a huge number of actions to keep up. You want a minimum of 3 full turns every round, depending on the quality of the group, you may want that number pushed as high as 6-8. You also want immunity to just about everything, high saves, and lots of HP. And probably want to throw on elusive target or an equivalent ability just in case there's a charger in the party with NI damage.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grod_The_Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Make sure it has the ability to take standard actions at least once per round outside its turn. Help him take on multiple PCs by himself.

    STaRS (and STaRS Lite)
    A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system, by me. Now officially released!

    Grod's Guide to Greatness
    A big book of player options for 5e, by me

    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Wait... Mando Knight responded to my thread?

    THE Mando Knight?

    AWESOME!

    Could he, or someone else, stat out the class fully? Please?
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gooddragon1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    -Casts as a sorceror (but can spontaneous metamagic without increasing casting time) and same spell slots as a sorceror.
    -Can learn spells of scrolls as a wizard regardless of the list (not into a spell book, into his mind with no cost and no limit other than the time to memorize them).
    -d12 HD
    -All saves good
    -Full BAB
    -Fighter weapon and armor proficiencies
    -Can cast in armor with no spell failure chance
    -No armor check penalties, armors are always treated as light armor, no max dex when wearing armor
    -Has something like divine metamagic in that he can sacrifice a pool of points to reduce the slot adjustment of a spell affected by metamagic (set the pool to increase per level as you see fit).
    -Intelligent stone golem companion (Improves as Skeletal Companion does) and gains the benefits that a familiar (same int as a familiar) does as well.
    Need more?
    -Casting funtions off intelligence and give an AC, Saves, and attack roll bonus also based of intelligence.
    -Spell Resistance equal to level + 10
    -Mettle
    -Evasion
    -Improved Evasion
    -Uncanny Dodge
    -Improved Uncanny Dodge
    -Construct Immunities with none of the drawbacks
    -Can cast 1 spell per round as an immediate action or something

    Am I reaching the tier -1 level now?

    Alternatively, the beholder mage from lords of madness is recognized as a tier 0 class.

    Both the above class and the beholder mage can go toe to toe in the action economy. Have some transmute mud to rock spells to fully heal the stone golem companion when it gets damaged.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2011-11-19 at 11:31 PM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    If you really want to make it a tough fight for a particular group of significantly optimized characters, the best way is probably not to just pile on the powers. Instead, identify the abilities that make them above tier 3, and give him the means to shut them down. So if they use combat control, give him Freedom of Movement and Dimension Door at-will. If they rely on action economy, give him some sort of Slow ability. If they try to end the fight in one round with save-or-lose spells, give him stuff like Mind Blank and Death Ward. Don't cut off all their options (that would make it no fun for them), just the top "end the fight in one round" ones.

    Then give him a decent offense and general defenses (including the features you mentioned) so he can challenge them, and it should be a fight to remember.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NeoSeraphi's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Then give him a decent offense and general defenses (including the features you mentioned) so he can challenge them, and it should be a fight to remember.
    Alternatively, make her a frail-looking redheaded sorcerer chick with a cute smile and sincere eyes. Then halfway through the fight, have her shapechange into a titan. That will be a real fight to remember.

    As for tier 0 abilities, the ability to summon minions who break the action economy is definitely tier 0. Grant her the ability to summon a greater beholder as a swift action, at-will. A greater beholder is like a beholder but with much more awesome eye rays (epic hold monster instead of sleep, maximized greater harm instead of inflict moderate wounds) and say, doubled hit dice, double ability scores, and a doubled range on the antimagic eye cone.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    lost in my own mind

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    My suggestion is to look at this and try to make it a base class, plus some other abilities as suggested here. I also think you may want a custom race that resists most one shot kills and jacks his stats way up. Maybe some sort of super-human offshoot of a normal race.

    And the "fight to remember" bit is important; the big bad in my epic campaign I'm writing is a 12 year old girl who single-handedly beat down the gods and has the Tarrasque as a guard dog. Make it strong enough to last. A boss fight should last a long time; the last one I threw out lasted 2 sessions, and the group still remembers it, mostly because it had most of them in the single-digit HP range and cost all their spells before the new guy got lucky with his Fighter. General guideline I use is that a boss should be 3-4 CR higher than the current party, maybe more if they're highly optimized (my groups rarely are).
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2011-11-20 at 12:27 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Alternatively, make her a frail-looking redheaded sorcerer chick with a cute smile and sincere eyes. Then halfway through the fight, have her shapechange into a titan. That will be a real fight to remember.
    Well, unless the party (who I understand to be at least tier 2, with the abilities that implies) manage to end the fight in 1 round, or at least with a potentially-1-round ability, thereby making it impossible to determine when "halfway through the fight" will be.

    Shapechanging into a titan is a possibility (although an epic sorcerer probably won't get all that much from the shapechange), but you still need the counters to the party's tier 2 abilities in order to even force the fight to go on long enough to be appropriately epic.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zeta Kai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Final Chapter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    -Casts as a sorceror (but can spontaneous metamagic without increasing casting time) and same spell slots as a sorceror.
    -Can learn spells of scrolls as a wizard regardless of the list (not into a spell book, into his mind with no cost and no limit other than the time to memorize them).
    -d12 HD
    -All saves good
    -Full BAB
    -Fighter weapon and armor proficiencies
    -Can cast in armor with no spell failure chance
    -No armor check penalties, armors are always treated as light armor, no max dex when wearing armor
    -Has something like divine metamagic in that he can sacrifice a pool of points to reduce the slot adjustment of a spell affected by metamagic (set the pool to increase per level as you see fit).
    -Intelligent stone golem companion (Improves as Skeletal Companion does) and gains the benefits that a familiar (same int as a familiar) does as well.
    Need more?
    -Casting funtions off intelligence and give an AC, Saves, and attack roll bonus also based of intelligence.
    -Spell Resistance equal to level + 10
    -Mettle
    -Evasion
    -Improved Evasion
    -Uncanny Dodge
    -Improved Uncanny Dodge
    -Construct Immunities with none of the drawbacks
    -Can cast 1 spell per round as an immediate action or something

    Am I reaching the tier -1 level now?

    Alternatively, the beholder mage from lords of madness is recognized as a tier 0 class.

    Both the above class and the beholder mage can go toe to toe in the action economy. Have some transmute mud to rock spells to fully heal the stone golem companion when it gets damaged.
    Based on that:

    Majilocalypse
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
    1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Spell Resistance
    2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Evasion
    3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Uncanny Dodge
    4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Improved Familiar
    5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Bonus Feat
    6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Improved Evasion
    7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Improved Uncanny Dodge
    8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|Mettle
    9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Greater Familiar
    10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Bonus Feat
    11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Reduced Spell Failure
    12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Ephemeral Armor
    13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Lesser Immunities
    14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|Superior Familiar
    15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Bonus Feat
    16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Negated Spell Failure
    17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Pool of Arcana
    18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Greater Immunities
    19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Ultimate Familiar
    20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Bonus Feat
    [/table]

    Spells Per Day
    {table=head]Level|0SL|1SL|2SL|3SL|4SL|5SL|6SL|7SL|8SL|9SL
    1st|5|3||||||||
    2nd|6|4||||||||
    3rd|7|5||||||||
    4th|7|6|3|||||||
    5th|7|7|4|||||||
    6th|7|7|5|3||||||
    7th|7|7|6|4||||||
    8th|7|7|7|5|3|||||
    9th|7|7|7|6|4|||||
    10th|7|7|7|7|5|3||||
    11th|7|7|7|7|6|4||||
    12th|7|7|7|7|7|5|3|||
    13th|7|7|7|7|7|6|4|||
    14th|7|7|7|7|7|7|5|3||
    15th|7|7|7|7|7|7|6|4||
    16th|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|5|3|
    17th|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|6|4|
    18th|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|5|3
    19th|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|6|5
    20th|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|7|7
    [/table]

    It still needs something to improve its action economy; perhaps, instead of those Wizard-like bonus feats, the Majilocalypse (as I dub it temporarily, until a better name comes along) could gain an extra standard action per round @ 5th/10th/15th/20th level. Thoughts? Comments? Reactions? This is as cheap & OP as I could make a class; any more & I'd be dipping into my own craziness about superhuman BAB/save progressions, along with some cheap form of I-Win buttons.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2011-11-20 at 01:50 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #13

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    4e actually has good inspiration for this in the form of solos. Salient takeaways: immunities to the most common lose conditions and/or an ability to shake them off quickly, bonus actions to compensate for the action economy being so stacked against them, and ideally out of turn actions to avoid making turns too cyclical.

    I mean, an omnigestalt is a trivially easy to make T0. It's also much trickier to balance between it getting dogpiled too early to make a properly climactic encounter, or chewing through PCs fast enough to TPK.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    NeoSeraphi's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    My skills exceed yours!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    He should be immune to [mind-affecting], [death], slow, petrification, paralysis, magical sleep, nausea, stun, daze, being held, and [fear].

    Also, another fun way to screw the party is to have him cast imprisonment. Unless the party casters have freedom prepared, they just lost one of their men, and not even a miracle spell will get him back.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zeta Kai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Final Chapter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Yeah, just think of boss fights from near the end of any Final Fantasy game: cheap immunity to all status effects, an implausible amount of HP, & the ability to seriously harm several PCs every round. That's where your aiming.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    absolmorph's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    A place with no pants

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Give them a full turn on two initiative counts, and Cunning Surge at any point in the round (with Inspiration points as a normal Factotum of their level, at the least).
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

    If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post

    Shapechanging into a titan is a possibility (although an epic sorcerer probably won't get all that much from the shapechange), but you still need the counters to the party's tier 2 abilities in order to even force the fight to go on long enough to be appropriately epic.
    Why not make it a titan shaped into a cute redhead? Obviously a cr21 monster is no use against high tier opponents so gestalt it to give it 21 levels of tier 1 casting and a custom graft that gives it an extra standard action each round.

    Alternatively, make it just a titan that can generate a 30 mile antimagic field that penetrates objects.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    Give them a full turn on two initiative counts, and Cunning Surge at any point in the round (with Inspiration points as a normal Factotum of their level, at the least).
    Pretty much this. What I'd personally do is give this guy an extra initiative count at 6th level and every 5 levels afterwards.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zeofar's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wyvern
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    You want an arbitrarily powerful BBEG that does not need progression up to epic levels, using a class that will never be taken by a player, and you already know what you want him to be able to do? From what I can tell, all you want is a homebrewed monster that's also a human. Just fill out the stat block with abilities.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Zeta Kai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Final Chapter
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeofar View Post
    You want an arbitrarily powerful BBEG that does not need progression up to epic levels, using a class that will never be taken by a player, and you already know what you want him to be able to do? From what I can tell, all you want is a homebrewed monster that's also a human. Just fill out the stat block with abilities.
    That would the most simple solution, admittedly. It's not like this is gonna seen by the players. That's kinda a 4E approach, whereas the 3E in me begs to have a class progression. A weakness, to be sure, but there it is.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    I would like a new base class a NPC of which is capable of being a tough fight for a group of 4 moderate-to-high optimization, equal leveled (to it and each other) Gestalt characters. The NPC is on working its own (no allies or minions), and the class takes up both "sides" of the gestalt. The class should be focused on Arcane magic, and should:

    • grant secrets of from all 3 Towers of High Sorcery (dragonlance)
    • grant an Archmage's High Arcana, though at a reduced rate
    • count as a Spell Savant of half level for the purpose of Legacy Weapons (or whatever those things are called)
    • have Knowledge and Music as a bard
    • have other class features, too


    The character is a BBEG, and I would like the class to be incredibly over-the-top. Also, the game is very Epic-level, and the character has really high (even for his level) mental ability scores.
    I can do this without homebrew at all. How do you feel about illithid savant?
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I can do this without homebrew at all. How do you feel about illithid savant?
    I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound likely to grant bardic music, which was one of the requirements.

    EDIT: I just realized Bardic Music is useless without allies. Oops. But does it really fit ALL of the other requirements?
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2011-11-20 at 01:29 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Seerow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound likely to grant bardic music, which was one of the requirements.

    EDIT: I just realized Bardic Music is useless without allies. Oops. But does it really fit ALL of the other requirements?
    Ithilid Savant eats peoples brains to steal their class features. So yes, it can have bardic music, and just about anything else you could ever want.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?


  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbownaga View Post
    Why not make it a titan shaped into a cute redhead? Obviously a cr21 monster is no use against high tier opponents so gestalt it to give it 21 levels of tier 1 casting and a custom graft that gives it an extra standard action each round.
    At that point, there isn't much point in it being a titan, is there?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    gkathellar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beyond the Ninth Wave
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Tristalt Wizard//Psionic Artificier//Factotum.

    Optionally, replace the Wizard side of the equation with Beguiler/Rainbow Servant, then toss in a level of Wizard and Versatile Spellcaster for all Cleric and Wizard spells as known spells. This lets you do anything at any time, thus covering all of your bases.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Prime32's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Gestalt StP Erudite//Jack Rakan.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-11-22 at 09:37 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    The wonderful thing about having a class is that it's adaptable to all levels.

    ...My poor, poor, mid-optimization, low level PCs.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2011-11-22 at 11:19 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr.Orpheus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Deanimating the dead.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    The Ozodrin class can get fairly broken if you know what your doing (Witch is pour all your points into Basic Eyes, Bite, Special Eyes, Flesh, and Spawn), also Gestating with sorcerer would be crazy.

    This is not a class idea, but you could give any creature with high con the final strike feat from savage species, diehard feat, and regeneration 1 overcome by something crazy rare. Then use the self mutilation thing from BoVD to reused his max HP to -9 and you will have a continually dying, exploding, and reforming creature. This can be applied to basically anything, but I would use a Forsaker from masters of the wild to get a higher con. Then you will have a high natural armor so make the thing that will bypass your regeneration a non touch attack
    Last edited by Dr.Orpheus; 2011-11-22 at 12:36 PM.
    "If you are after mere parlor tricks you will be sorely disappointed, for if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, BUT YOUR VERY SOUL!" The Venture Bros.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    I'd suggest something like the following.

    The NPC has the power to Agent-Smith himself into specially prepared followers. He gains full access to his abilities through each body but uses the physical stats and abilities of the body as per Shapechange, and can simultaneously possess up to 3 such hosts. Worse yet, he has just completed a magical engine that automatically summons from a pool of such prepared bodies or dynamically creates then on the spot with a variation on Wish, such that once a round a new body emerges.

    The engine itself is in a hidden chamber with an Energy Transformation Field set to convert spell uses of an at-will item in the chamber into Teleport spells, sending the new bodies to the battlefield. Your party can short-circuit the encounter somewhat if they can deduce or divine the location of the chamber and destroy the engine, but they still have to deal with his hosts.

    The NPC starts the fight playing it as a wizard, and as his spell slots run out he starts having the engine create more and more monstrous bodies for him to possess. In general he favors bodies with nasty passive effects so that he can focus on his spellcasting (things like damage auras, auras of fear effect or the death giant aura that auto-kills things below 10hp).

    If the party kills all three hosts two rounds in a row, they have killed his hosts faster than he was able to possess them and have won. If they destroy the machine and kill all existing hosts they have won.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: Please help make a tier-0 class. You'll see what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Orpheus View Post
    This is not a class idea, but you could give any creature with high con the final strike feat from savage species, diehard feat, and regeneration 1 overcome by something crazy rare. Then use the self mutilation thing from BoVD to reused his max HP to -9 and you will have a continually dying, exploding, and reforming creature. This can be applied to basically anything, but I would use a Forsaker from masters of the wild to get a higher con. Then you will have a high natural armor so make the thing that will bypass your regeneration a non touch attack
    The Tarrasque?
    YouTube channel:

    The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •