New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 'And once more shall the gods of men walk among their people.' [IC]

V556

The assassin stares at the custode blankly, surprised to be addressed. He nodded in ascent though, he knew well that his kin had killed one before. It wasn't common knowledge the how an assassin was trained.

It may be easier to head into the Eye. It has the highest target density.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Atticus raises his palms, indicating that Arkinger should slow down somewhat.

"Please, let us not get ahead of ourselves, esteemed Magos."

He continues slowly and deliberately, once he has the Tech Priest's attention.

"We are assuming that we are in possession of all the facts regarding the psyche of the Primarchs."

He draws in a deep breath, then exhales in a resigned fashion.

"For one, we cannot place our full trust into any of the Primarchs, save one."

He explains his reasoning carefully.

"Roboute Guilliman, as some of you may know, arrived after the Emperor defeated Horus and crushed the Heresy. Can we be so sure that he simply did not pick the winning side?"

He seems to be detailing the potentially living Primarchs, detailing their imperfections,

"Lion'el Jonson, well... he is far too secretive to be trusted at all. Both Jaghatai Khan and Leman Russ, although loyal unto death, are known in legend for being brash and headstrong, which could likely lead us to catastrophe. Corax also had his quirks, as did Vulkan."

He stops, as if preparing his thoughts, and clears his throat.

"The others are either compromised or deceased... with perhaps one exception..."

With this, a blade extends from his forearm, a power field being generated from this forearm blade with a bright flash, which then subsides as it is deactivated, although the blade remains extended. The Inquisitor then cuts a shallow wound in the palm of his right hand, and holds it out in front of him, dripping several drops of blood onto the floor before himself.

"...the blood and spirit of Sanguinius of the Blood Angels."

He closes his bleeding hand into a fist and continues.

"The traditions of the Blood Angels, and their successors, involves infusing their Sanguinary Priests with the living blood and soul of Sanguinius himself.

Add to that the rumours, myths and legends of actual angelic figures appearing to aid them in times of crisis, we may have another avenue of investigation, and hopefully a fruitful one, as Sanguinius was the most righteous and noble of all the Primarchs."

In truth, it was something of a mere passing thought of the Inquisitor's, but, considering how things were playing out, a vast multitude of alternatives had to be looked at before committing to anything. In his mind, Lucien Atticus had already come to the conclusion that it would need to be thePrimarch of the Dark Angels, Jonson, that needed to be contacted, if indirectly...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kylissa

At her name, Kylissa simply stared at the Custodian for a moment. She didn't need to glance down at the Eldar gem upon her waist, nor at the weapon's case nearby that contained a mighty prize from a battle long ago. The man was observant and well-informed, to say the least; no need to insult such effort with mock surpise or false denials. Inclining her head slightly, she let the Vindicare respond before adding her own perspective.

"Making contact with a Troupe is easy. Breaking contact alive is not. Their council on such matters may deny Chaos and benefit the Eldar, but destroy humanity."

Leaning back, she thought on the last time she saw the Eldar, and wondered how many would die should she see them again.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Add to that the rumours, myths and legends of actual angelic figures appearing to aid them in times of crisis, we may have another avenue of investigation, and hopefully a fruitful one, as Sanguinius was the most righteous and noble of all the Primarchs.
    I do not need to remind you: *click* Ladies and gentlemen, we are going to use the 'mortal' shell of a Primarch as the spiritual anchor for the return of the Emperor.
    Unless you have data suggesting the possibility for the resurrection of Sanguinius I will have to rule out the possibility for his hosting the Emperor.

What you suggest is not invalid. Data on the personalities of the Primarchs would be helpful, though it would be an inquiry for a later however imminent point in time.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

"You are not incorrect, my learned comrade," agrees Atticus with Arkinger, "but my point was that, for the purposes which we need, Sanguinius may in fact be considered alive, but, like a pane of glass, shattered into thousands of tiny pieces."

He raises a finger,

"I am but brainstorming, of course, but my idea is that we may be able to host thousands of aspects of the Emperor in smaller vessels, such as the heirs of Sanguinius..."

He freezes at this point, looking Kylissa up and down, his eyes focusing on her Xenos trophies.

"Aspects of the Emperor..."

He remains frozen still, his pacing stopped, and looks to his fellow Inquisitor, Cassandra, as well as his trusted advisor and friend, Marachena, asking them the following,

"Perhaps treating Primarchs as Daemonhosts would be incorrect. The eldritch Xenos of the Webways, the so-called Eldar, seem able to temporarily house their pathetic Gods in shells of iron. I have heard the term 'Avatar' being used by some of my educated colleagues... could we do the same, and allow the Emperor temporary abode in the bodies of lesser mortals?

Surely they would be destroyed by the end of the process, but this might offer less risk... providing, of course, we can gain access to the Black Library..."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-26 at 02:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: 'And once more shall the gods of men walk among their people.' [IC]

V556

The assassin looks to the inquisitor and magos before asking his question in his low gravelly voice, vindicare assassins not being known for conversation.
    Why discuss the unlikely when we can travel straight to one of several known targets
    . To the assassin the solution seems simple. Assuming your ship will agree to carry us? The question tinged with sceptiscm for the navy born of dozens of missions and a handful of ships that were mysteriously lost with all hands after a visit from the assassin.

Spoiler
    Show

I know influence can buy a ride on a cruiser but how long will the cruiser be on the team?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

"Said targets may be non-compliant, brother. In addition to this, their imperfections or flaws may have unforeseen consequences. I would not wish to take any undue risks with such an operation.

I do not wish for us to rush in blindly at this point, especially when we have possible alternatives. Our Imperial Majesty has been sat upon his Throne for ten millenia... I would assume that being as cautious as possible seems best... another year or two should be nothing to our Lord Terra."

After patiently explaining the situation, Inquisitor Atticus straightens up and informs the Vindicare about the ships under his command.

"Both the Sirius and Gethsemane are sworn to my service for life. They go where I go, should it be necessary. I served on both of these vessels before my ascension to my current position of privilege. They're fine craft, but may not be suited to certain tasks.

Should we require a different class of ship, I will be able to pull strings with the Battlefleet Koronus, but this will, of course, take time."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-26 at 04:53 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

'We can hold the Cadian system, at least for a time. The forces of the Warmaster are puissant indeed, but their strength is in land warfare - while we can keep pouring more soldiers, Astartes, and ships into the region, we can certainly keep them at bay, if at an ultimately unsustainable expense. I would give us three years, if nothing changes - it's almost inevitable that the 14th Crusade has fight in it yet.

As to Sanguinius - that … that is a conclusion I had not considered, Inquisitor Atticus. The blood of a Primach - still living, as you say - might certainly have a powerful effect. I would worry that, as your Magos says, it would not suffice to give the Emperor a new body, but it might certainly help to expedite the process, provided you can secure a sufficient sample.

The Avatar idea is interesting - a Machine-God, perhaps? Or merely the Thorian notion of finding another Sebastian Thor - but as Kylissa alludes, the Eldar of the Black Library are historically averse to giving up their secrets. That's not to say you couldn't force your way in - I am acquainted with a certain Inquisitor who's been there once - but that would be another difficult task. Possible, though.
    '

He balances his hands, weighing them, as if with a scales.

'In all, I would suggest that this represents a trade-off between two approaches. On the one hand, you could be crusaders, taking the Emperor's sword to valiantly cut down all challengers between you and the Primarch of your choice. The Emperor desire a crusade, does He not? I believe that you could certainly strike the first blow, between your skill, cunning and martial expertise. Alternatively, you could be tricksters, seeking to bring the Emperor's light to the esoteric of this galaxy, and tearing asunder the works of Man, Daemon, and Alien to reach your prize - which would certainly be following in His footsteps in another way.

The former is more certain, but a direr task; the latter is uncertain, but may yield unexpectedly proximate results. Which do you feel more suits you all, and your capabilities?'

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that, via your Commodore, you already own a cruiser, to be honest. Plus, using your Influence score of rather high, you can probably secure one for as long as you like. You've also got an elite military unit of Sororitas, advised by a rather proficient Stormtrooper, to put on board it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

V556

The assassin looks non-plussed by the Sharp reply. All the primarchs were flawed. None will do this willingly. All man is flawed, there are no pure in the Empire of Man. Better to use a broken reed than waste a good one.

He looks around the room for opinions before returning his gaze to his fellow assassin seeking her opinion. Most others in the room matter less, the Temple is all.

10. - Top - End - #40

The God-Machines of the Legio Ignatum have stood forever vigilant at the Eternity Gate for millenia. If The Emperor could inhabit the body of one of the avatars of the Machine God, he would have done so. The Magos remarks bluntly. Though the Inquisitor indeed brings up a point about Sanguinius. Prehaps cloning the body of the Primarch could be possible? Certainly the clones of Macharius have been total failures, but the Lord Solar is not a Primarch. This presents new opportunities along with new challenges.

He pauses, running data through his head.

I prefer to follow definite leads. Guilliman is the easiest to locate, and the technology to bypass a stasis field to implant a bionic neck may be within reach. I will search for 'The Heidenhammer' on my own time.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

"Personally, I would suggest we follow the Lionel'El Jonson lead first, although not directly via the Dark Angels.

I would suggest contacting Fallen Angels, who have been scattered across time and space, meaning that we can get in touch with potential loyalists from the time of the Heresy itself. The Emperor's grace will prevent any subterfuge and lies on their part.

One so-called Fallen Angel is of particular interest, and has so far continued to evade my own investigations as well as those of the Dark Angels themselves, is one known as 'Cypher'. He appears to have motivations involving the redemption of his chapter...

...of course, this would not be seen as a positive development from the Dark Angels and the Unforgiven, but, personally, I couldn't care less. They aren't known for playing well with the Emperor's other children anyway. Their long-time rivals, the Space Wolves, will be more inclined to offer honest help."

Atticus is obviously displeased about having to involve the Astartes at all, really. He would probably rather just hit the books and try to come up with an alternative, which is the impression that his serene, gentle voice gives.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ahem. I have two cruisers permanently under Atticus' command, not just one! :P

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kylissa

Listening to the discussions, Kylissa wondered about her own role in the plot ... for wasn't that what this had become? These seven people, sharers of a common dream, were trying to figure out out how to bend not just the Adeptus Astartes in useable tools, but which Primarch they wished to target as a vessel for the return of the Emperor ... with or with their permission.

It wasn't the enormity of what they suggested that surprised her. Nor was it the targets they considered. It was the idea of pitting themselves against one of the universe's deadliest killers on little more than a hunch, and feeling completely sanctioned.

Oh, the Chapter who's Primarch they targeted might not see it as sanctioned ... hell, this might be the reason they need to take by force what they had sworn to defend. If handled poorly, this gambit could send humanity back into a civil war - this time over variances in a common ideology.

She noticed the Vindicare looking at her and she shrugged slightly, uncertain of how this would turn out. All she knew was that she would be there, where the fighting was the thickest, her blade the altar and her adversaries blood the offering ... all in the name of the Emperor.

Clearing her throat slightly, she spoke softly, her words not directed at anyone in particular. "My blade will be where the Emperor needs it most; shadows or light, we won't balk at hard tasks - only ill-conceived plans."

"You seek Primarchs, but rumor has it the Emperor is a Primarch of sorts. What of the Grey Knights? Are any of them sufficient to His needs?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

'My suspicion is that we're beyond the level of needing particularly well-conceived plans. Action without thought may reduce the likelihood of success, possibly beyond acceptable parameters, but even if you can bring back the shattered, barely-living wreck of one of the Twenty, nothing else matters. Nothing else would matter, could matter - for we would have Him back. The Grey Knights are one of a number of back-up plans, should the Primarch acquisition fail - there are several candidates of sufficient physical and psychic fortitude, but they are, in the end, only human. Only posthuman.

As to Guilliman, he certainly is a possibility - it would simply be a matter of turning off the stasis field, as you say, to gain access to him. The issue would come when you needed to keep him alive, since he's an instant from brain-death from Fulgrim's poison. I suspect that this is your domain, rather than mine - is there any effective means of interacting with objects inside a stasis field, without shutting it off.

I'm warming to the idea of the Dark Angels, I must say. The Sons of Russ might take a little persuading to quit the defence of the Eye and resume their old role as executioners and retrievers, but it's certainly possible. A full-scale assault might be inadvisable, though, since it would risk destroying the prize - Caliban is hardly stable. If you can find some way of gaining access to the Rock - hardly an easy feat - then I'd say you have a chance, especially if the Wolves are waiting in reserve, waiting on your word to move into position. And The Cypher remains a rather puissant ace up your sleeve, if you are right about him, and he should choose to smile on your venture.

Should you wish to enlist their help, I believe I could secure an audience with Lord Grimnar - as well as any other groups you might be wish to meet regarding this matter. As long as the information remains on a relatively need-to-know basis, that is.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry this has all been very talky so far! It's giving me a lot of opportunities to work out some delirious ultraviolencenasty scenes later for y'all, though - I'm just trying to get a handle on what sort of horrifying slaughter and slaughter-filled horror you're particularly interested in.

14. - Top - End - #44

A concern with using the Grey Knights is that they are to The Emperor what the Blood Angels are to Sanguinius. If my knowledge is accurate, the process in the creation of a Custodian is similar to that of a Primarch.

I do not think the Scions of Fenris would move against the Angels of the Lion without severe skepticism. I am inclined against active hostilities of an entire Adeptus Astartes chapter. The Wolf may be more easily recovered if leads can be divined from the Chapter Master. It is questionable whether Arkinger doesn't know whether the term is Great Wolf, or whether or not he simply refused to use it.

Cypher is certainly an interesting lead, but he is continually hunted down by multiple chapters of Adeptus Astartes, and has been for thousands of years. Our efforts respecting him would be in vain, unless he can be attracted to us.
    All of this is being said while data from the Magos' considerable memory stores respecting the function of stasis fields of all patterns and models flow through his mind.
    Even if I were able to revive Guilliman from stasis successfully, I have no doubt the Warp will make our endeavors simple.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

V566
    The lion you say? It may not be my first encounter with the so called Angels of Death, infiltrating their chapter fortress will tax even Kaylissa and myself.

While the words show doubt they do exude quiet confidence.
    It would still be prudent to use a heretic for this. Better to Target a known enemy than an ally. Particularly while we are so close.

The last words punctuated by the Vista of the eye outside the view port. If we challenge the first legion it will be gruelling and bloody with many loyal astartes dying without true cause. A sorry fate for any of the astartes

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marachena leans over to Atticus' side and whispers into his ear.

Spoiler
    Show

In the Throne-agent tongue of of Atticus' cadre
    "Lord, when you invoked your prayer to scour away the shadows of deceit with the Emperor's white-hot scrutiny. For an instant, the room seemed much better lit than it was, and where the Inquisitor and the Custodian were standing a pair of blazing pillars of light illuminated the room. The vision passed, but both figures seem a little winded, and less imposing, now."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kylissa

Kylissa nodded slightly at the Vindicare's assessment. "Targeting minions of Chaos holds us as true blades of the Emperor ... attacking loyalists will damage that image. I care not what others think, but such perceptions will make our work ... complicated."

However, journeying into the Eye shouldn't be done on a whim. We will be in their world, fighting on their terms. Not impossible, but by no means quick ... or guaranteed.

As for the Lion, you just need the right carrot. Hunting Cypher may work for three reasons - if his body is sufficient, he can be the vessel; if not, he makes for an excellent bargaining chit; and either way, you have the infamous Cypher for interrogation.

Regardless, if word reaches the Lion that three Inquisitor's of your stature are hunting Cypher, or that you have a good lead on his whereabouts ... you may discover the Lion will come to you."

Kylissa never changed her posture or demeanor, leaning rock steady agains the walls with her arms crossed over her chest. If it were not for her lips moving in time to the words, one would wonder if she had indeed spoken. However, if you could see her eyes, you would note them glance over at the Sister-Sage.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2011-11-29 at 08:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Atticus nods as the power-armoured woman whispers in his ear, smiling slightly to quietly thank her.

He quietly mutters to her, using the code-speak, 'Koronus Passage Cipher', that the pair had diligently developed over the past few years.

"Good eye, Sister. I noticed the Custodian, but not the other, although I cannot say I am unsurprised."

The code-speak itself makes them sound like they are discussing starships, provided anyone is able to listen in.

He then speaks to the others, more clearly, of course.

"I am strongly in favour of finding Cypher first. I believe that although this will be exceptionally difficult, it will be less dangerous, and easier to manage than the alternatives. It will not accomplish our final goal, but will allow us to gather additional information, or could provide us with additional resources.

The fact that I've been searching for him previously may, of course, leave me somewhat biased, but it also means that we have a starting point, too. The fact that I was already looking for him may be a reason why I was contacted, but that is, of course, pure supposition.

I believe that avoiding the Dark Angels entirely, and picking up Cypher, preferably not on hostile terms, appears to be a positive way to get started.

I will also have words with various sources, starting with the Ecclesiarchy but, more importantly, with Inquisitorial experts on the Return of Our Liege-Lord, regarding prophecies and theories surrounding his leaving his Golden Throne. There is a vast wealth of knowledge which must be tapped before we spring into action."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-29 at 11:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I am uneasy at the prospect of coming into conflict with some of the most esteemed of the Astartes chapters," Cassandra said. "While loyal, they are prideful and answer to none but themselves, and may misunderstand our project as a threat, especially chapters known for keeping secrets."

"But what about another option? What if we simply create a host from scratch, as opposed to finding one? I will admit I am not as knowledgeable about the original Primarch project as others, so perhaps this line of investigation is misguided, but is there any information on how the primarchs were originally created? If so, could we replicate such a feat? It would be far more controllable and less risky than traipsing about the galaxy looking for that which has been lost for millenia."

She paused for a moment, as if considering something of great importance. Then she said, carefully picking her words, "Though if we wanted to find a loyal primarch suitable for the task, it would appear that we would have to head into the Eye. That is, of course, if we could even track down any clues of their whereabouts."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"My assumption has always been that immense psychic power was used to create the Primarchs, likely in conjunction with technical expertise far beyond us.

The technology we could reclaim, of course. However, if it were mere technological and biological expertise alone, and, please Magos Arkinger, do not take this as an insult, we would be able to make thousands of Primarchs.

My assumption, therefore, is that it required something of the Emperor himself, relating to his prodigious psychic powers. He was only able to create twenty, and could not perform it again after initially having his children swept away from him."

For some reason, Atticus is obviously troubled by the assumptions he is making here. Of course, his problems with the Primarch Project remain unspoken. His unspoken worries largely circle around the fact that the Emperor may have done something excessively Radical in order to create his sons.

He sighs, then continues to answer his fellow Inquisitor.

"As you well know, there are many problems with navigating the Eye. There is no true where. There is no true when. Logic is thrown out of reality and warped into something unrecognisable to all reasonable beings.

Finding a Primarch in the Eye of Terror would be like finding a needle in a haystack, with the added complications of having your eyes burned out and your hands cut off."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Cassandra nods, agreeing. "It is not my preferred plan, that much is certain. But it is possible, as the Space Wolves have shown. Their forays into the Eye to search for their primarch and retrieve relics are not wholly unsuccessful. And of course, their Thirteenth Company emerged relatively unscathed during the last Black Crusade. Even short raids and pursuits by the Imperial Navy through the Cadian Gate have been done, and they are protected by nothing other than faith and Gellar fields. If not the Eye or coming into conflict with loyal space marines though, then what?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Kylissa

As the others continued to speak, Kylissa quickly realized the Inquisitors had returned to form, talking amongst themselves while the others simply sat by and waited. There was something about Atticus she did not care for. Perhaps it was his look; perhaps his outlook. Maybe it was the way he sounded ... unconvince ... about the nature of their 'summons.' Most likely, it was her disdain for most people of a certain station, a feeling that took her back to her childhood on Dusk. No, not childhood, since she didn't have one of those. Nay, better to call it her forging ...

Back to the room, the arguements were revolving around who to target ... for all the attempts to simplify their focus, additional ideas and issues kept rising to the surface. If the choice was between Cypher and the Eye, you might as well ask would you rather hunt smoke or beard a daemon in it's own demense?

Glancing around the room, she studied the others, eyes lighting on the Soldier for a moment, since he had been silent since the discussions had started.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2011-11-30 at 11:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

"The idea of hunting Cypher, and very quietly making non-hostile contact might serve to save us from denouncing any so-called loyalists. Asking a few pointed questions of himself, and of Grand Master Azrael, might save us a lot of effort and risk; risks which I am not keen to take, with billions of lives likely depending on us."

With that, he turns to his confidante, Marachena, and specifically asks for her input.

"Sister, you have been somewhat quiet; I do believe that you would have valuable input here. This all seems too close to the ideals of Moriana, and the later Horusians for myself, I must admit."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-30 at 01:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"What manner of resistance would we run up against if we were to pursue this 'Cypher'? Would we face one or many?" Drake asks, his own mind piqued at the thought of only facing a single Astartes rather than a large group of them, or worse a Daemon-Primarch surrounded by Chaos Space Marines in the middle of the Eye of Terror.

"If he is but a single Astartes, then subduing and capturing him for use in our ends seems simple enough in theory, if not in practice. Though I would daresay that our chances of success in this endevour are far greater than they would be in doing the same to one of the traitor Primarchs or coming into conflict with any of the Loyalist Chapters."
    Last edited by Daisuke1133; 2011-11-30 at 01:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

"Good points, soldier.

As far as I'm aware, Cypher has been captured before. Something, likely relating to the Warp... or maybe the Emperor, always ensures his escape from his parent Chapter, the Dark Angels, or whosoever else might capture him.

Interestingly, should the Dark Angels hear of even rumours of him, they often end up in hot pursuit, attempting to retake him with extreme violence, in order to protect their secrets. For that reason we will have to be very careful, and very subtle.

Failing that, and they find out, I may have some contingencies available. The threat of Excommunicate Traitoris may be enough to stall them, especially if we have the backing of other groups... which we shall.

I am of the suspicion that finding him won't prove terribly difficult... he seems to appear where the Imperium needs him to be, after all... even if this is never immediately apparent. His appearances may actually be able to be predicted, too..."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-30 at 02:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

If you can get a solid lead on the location, or soon to be location of Cypher, I would encourage you to pursue it. Tread carefully though, he is one of the most wanted individuals in the Imperium. There is a probability of attempting to bargain with the Grand Master using Cypher as leverage will result in the bargaining being undergone at the barrel of a holy bolter that you would be well-advised to take note of. The Adeptus Astartes are fickle, and the Dark Angels even more so if their secrets are in danger. You should set up contigencies should the Dark Angels, or any other Adeptus Astartes chapter dismiss your claims as heretical machinations. The threat of Exocommunicate Traitoris is not to be taken lightly.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

V566
    You speak of this Cypher Inquisitor. Yet he is neither a Target of has acess to one. Mission focus and Target priority are the keys to a hunt. No matter the target.

We should choose a primarch and set off. One lies near death and in stasis. One hides in a fortress of the Dark Angels and they will not yield him easily and I think it will be beyond any single man's power to declare them traitor and the 1st legion are beloved of the imperium. They have allies of their own. One lies in the webway. The rest are lost in the Eye.

At mention of the Eye he will gesture out of the view port beyond the wreckage of Cadia. His voice firms slightly, throat dry and scratchy from having spoke so much. A rare occurrence for the normally solitary assassin.

We have targets we can see and what you see you can kill. He looks at the mechanicus and Atticus. We were summoned to retrieve a primarch. Not pursue a personal quest against some astartes that has remained lost and hidden for millenia. Personal goals do not find happy purchase in the imperium when greater goals are desired. The last is said with a grim countenance of one who has seen what befalls those who place their interest before that of the Lords of Terra.
    Last edited by DrK; 2011-11-30 at 02:42 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Atticus resists the urge to grin at the mention of Cypher being amongst the Imperium's Most Wanted. He responds in a flat tone.

"Finding wanted individuals is something the Inquisition is known for. And, rather fortunately, I've had a keen interest in this individual for some time."

With that, he hands a datapad to Arkinger, after deleting a large chunk of data from it, so that it contains only relevant information.

"This contains a map and timeline with reported sightings of Cypher, along with analyses of their reliability. Perhaps with the use of Adeptus Mechanicus cogitators, combined with, perhaps, use of the Emperor's Tarot, we could divine his next location."

Responding to the Assassin, he explains his position,

"We aren't here to kill anyone, if at all possible. Zero kills would be ideal, although this is highly unlikely. Untimely deaths attract attention.

We don't know what we are even doing. All of the valid targets in the Eye of Terror will be harder to pick up than a Primarch whom we have been told is alive and well on the Rock, apparently.

Cypher, however, appears to be strongly connected to the redemption of the Lion. By contacting him, we could contact the Lion...

...or...

The good Custodian could arrange for a semi-public meeting between myself and Grand Master Azrael of the Dark Angels. I will ask of him several questions, with several powerful, loyal individuals in sight, such as Logan Grimnar of the Space Wolves.

He will find it impossible to lie or withhold the truth from the loyal servants of the Emperor, and with that, we'll have access to the Lion. Either that or he'll condemn the Dark Angels as traitors.

This plan, I dislike. It could get violent, and there is the potential that the Chapter Master of the Dark Angels will be ignorant, and therefore dangerous."

After explaining for some time, he pauses, and raises an eyebrow at the Vindicare, showing no sign of offence, strangely enough for one of his station...

"My personal goal, much like the personal goals of many other Inquisitors whom I associate with, is finding methods of resurrecting the Emperor... and it has been my personal goal for my whole career. It is not arrogance speaking when I say that I have at least some knowledge of our goals and how to go about achieving them, and whether doing so is in fact safe for the Imperium and Its Lord."
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2011-11-30 at 02:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I must agree with the Vindicare, I believe that hunting this Cypher will prove fruitless and ultimately, useless. First, I find it exceedingly unlikely that this individual even exists, or if he does, as a loyal Astartes and not some daemon plaything. Given that he supposedly has been around since the time of the Heresy leads me to believe the latter. Next, you wish to confront the Chapter Master of the Dark Angels? And entrap him into deceit or heresy? Or have him give up perhaps their chapter's largest secret, one which I myself was not aware of until ten minutes ago. I can tell you exactly what would happen if you were to proceed along that plan. First point of failure, you would be refused an audience. Second, you would fail to get all these people together. Third, the Grand Master would laugh in your face and tell you to not ask so many questions. If you're lucky, you might leave that room alive."

Cassandra took a moment to let that settle in. She was rather put off by this other inquisitor, who seemed to have great resources and experience, and was understandably proud of his accomplishments and abilities. But not even an inquisitor lord would dare try some of the things he was proposing.

"And finally, do you think that the threat of declaring the Dark Angels Grand Master is going to be taken seriously by anyone? Declaring a single Astartes battle-brother heretic is bold enough, and requires backup in the form of other space marines. But a Chapter Master? Of a First Founding chapter? Unless he has engaged in outright heresy in front of witnesses then it would be impossible. It is obvious that you have put a lot of thought and research into this, but I do not think it is the solution to the problem we have been faced with."

Dredging up an old bit of memory, Cassandra continues "I have heard a legend about the Salamanders Primarch, Vulkan, that may prove useful though. Vulkan hid powerful artifacts around the galaxy for his legion to find, saying that he would return when they proved their worthiness by finding them all. To date, they have found some, but others remain missing. Perhaps if we were to assist them in their endeavor, it may lead us to him, or at least clues to his wherabouts."

30. - Top - End - #60

The Magos recieves the datapad, copying and downloading relevant information with nothing more than a thought.
    You are mistaken Inquisitor Atticus, I am a cogitator. The inquisitor is also foolish to think the machine spirit so easily forgets knowledge, and this error cannot be easily recovered by an Adeptus Mechanicus Magos. A folly Arkinger plans to exploit at some point in the future as he reverses the Inquisitor's deletions and downloads the forbidden information. Knowledge is power.
    Other possibilities cannot be ruled out. If there is a way to contact Magnus the Red we take advantage of it. Prehaps the same may be possible for Lorgar. Traversing the Webway may bring The Khan to us, and there is great value in restoring a Lost Primarch to the Imperium. So much lost lore could be divined from inquiry.
    There is no doubt the forces of Chaos will do what they can to undermine such an endeavor. They would even decieve us with a daemon to impersonate someone such as Magnus or Lorgar. What can be done to ensure that if we were to bring a "primarch" into custody that he is truly one of The Emperor's sons?