New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Who's Going to Destroy Girard's Gate?

Seeing as we're rounding the bend to the final leg of this arc, it seems inevitable that Girard's Gate will be destroyed. So the question is, who's going to destroy it? A few options seem possible.

Nale: While Nale is hunting the Gates, it's unclear as to exactly what he wants to do with them. Seeing as he's not epic, isn't a caster (or at least not much of one), and doesn't know the secret Snarl control rituals, it's hard to imagine what he could do with them. It seems likely that once Nale realizes he can't use the Gate, he may attempt to destroy it out of pettiness (i.e. "If I can't have it, no one can!")

Sabine: It's been made clear that Sabine has some special mission as given to her by her masters, and it seems likely (or at least possible) that their plans for the Gates involve their destruction. Hence, Sabine could be called upon to clandestinely ensure the Gate's destruction in furtherance of the IFCC's plans.

Vaarsuvius: We know that the IFCC are going to gain control of V for the better part of an hour. Perhaps, assuming their primary minions fail to accomplish their goal of destroying the Gate, they might call upon their sleeper agent, whom the Order would never suspect of treachery.

Tarquin: Tarquin clearly knows something about Girard, and while it's not clear exactly what, if he has knowledge of the Gate, he too may be trying to harness its power. That said, he could simply see its power as a threat to his perfectly ordered empire, and decide that once it's clear how to do it, he needs to destroy it before someone else uses it against him.

Those are my theories. Anyone else have others?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Who's Going to Destroy Girard's Gate?

Nale is at least an 8th level sorcerer. I believe Redcloak was only a 9th or 10th level cleric when he tried to conquer Lirian's Gate, so Nale could be powerful enough for the ritual. Though that doesn't answer how he would gain the ritual in the first place.

However, I am betting on Nale intentionally destroying it, either out of pettiness or because he sees Xykon is winning and he'd rather get a second shot at Kraagor's Gate than risk Xykon taking over the world (which also fits the IFCC's desire to see neither the OOTS nor Xykon succeed).

I could also see Xykon destroying it in a fit of rage after learning the truth about the ritual or seeing that there is no Snarl on the other side (if you can see the other side through the Gate), though I have trouble seeing what he would do afterward.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I highly, HIGHLY doubt Girard himself would destroy it, but with his paranoia about Soon/anyone not in his party of trustables, and Ian Starshine's paranoia in general and the theory they might know each other, Ian might convince him to do so, or Ian himself may

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Directly destroying a gate directly tends to be fatal. Who do we know is going to die?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Nale is at least an 8th level sorcerer. I believe Redcloak was only a 9th or 10th level cleric when he tried to conquer Lirian's Gate, so Nale could be powerful enough for the ritual.
    Right. The gate-controlling ritual only requires high level spellcasters. It is actually creating a gate that requires epic spellcasting.

Though that doesn't answer how he would gain the ritual in the first place.
    Yeah. For a guy that’s into complex plans, he doesn’t have much foresight.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I highly, HIGHLY doubt Girard himself would destroy it, but with his paranoia about Soon/anyone not in his party of trustables, and Ian Starshine's paranoia in general and the theory they might know each other, Ian might convince him to do so, or Ian himself may
    Not a bad point. We have still yet to meet Girard's agents, who must be lurking somewhere about, as they've been heavily foreshadowed but still not met. One of them could certainly pull a Miko and destroy the Gate.

7. - Top - End - #7

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMcW View Post
    Directly destroying a gate directly tends to be fatal. Who do we know is going to die?
    Not necessarily. Miko died, sure. But Redcloak survived destroying Lirian's Gate, and Elan survived destroying Durokan's Gate, so it all really depends on how it's destroyed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Too early to tell. Dorukan's Gate was destroyed by idiocy. We can't be sure something like that won't do the same.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

"Gate? What Gate? Hey, what's that cracking sound?"
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the gnomes of war! Or something...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    ...We have still yet to meet Girard's agents...
    Are you sure about that?
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

ok how about this for a mind-warp. Girard was charged with protecting a gate right? And he knows his buddies are all going to protect theirs right? And he knows that the destruction of a single gate wont put anyone in danger right? So he blew up his own gate 60 years ago, and is covering up the hole with an illusion. Problem solved. In the most chaotic manner possible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    ok how about this for a mind-warp. Girard was charged with protecting a gate right? And he knows his buddies are all going to protect theirs right? And he knows that the destruction of a single gate wont put anyone in danger right? So he blew up his own gate 60 years ago, and is covering up the hole with an illusion. Problem solved. In the most chaotic manner possible.
    This is a fairly cool theory, but it requires the Oracle to be either wrong or lying. His prophecy to Roy states that Xykon will be in the vicinity of "Girard's Gate", not "Girard's Rift", before he is in the vicinity of Kraagor's Gate.

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    I suppose not, but at the very least, we don't know that we've met any of Girard's agents, or who they might be. That's as good as having not met them for the moment.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    This is a fairly cool theory, but it requires the Oracle to be either wrong or lying. His prophecy to Roy states that Xykon will be in the vicinity of "Girard's Gate", not "Girard's Rift", before he is in the vicinity of Kraagor's Gate.
    It's possible that Xykon was simply near the Gate decades ago without even knowing it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It's possible that Xykon was simply near the Gate decades ago without even knowing it.
    Nope. One reason. Roy’s Question:
    If the lich sorcerer commonly referred to as “Xykon” will ever be, at some future point in time, within at 1000-foot-radius of one of these two magical gates, of which of those locations will he be in said radius first, chronologically?

Emphasis mine.

16. - Top - End - #16

Shouldn't this thread be spoilered?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to call Sabine here
    Lirian's Gate -- Redcloak -- Team Evil
    Dorukan's Gate -- Elan -- Team OotS
    Soon's Gate -- Miko -- Team Azure City
    Girard's Gate -- ??? -- Team Linear Guild?
    Serini/Kraagor's Gate -- Not Destroyed?
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Why? Unless Rich himself comes in here and says what will happen, it's not like anything here actually CONTAINS spoilers. This is all pure speculation and conjecture.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Noooooope.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    This is a fairly cool theory, but it requires the Oracle to be either wrong or lying.
    It would also require Girard either not to care about the destruction of the world, or to have faith in one of his companions to protect his/her Gate. And the reason for the split in the Order of the Scribble was that each of them was convinced only his/her method could successfully protect a Gate.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Nope. One reason. Roy’s Question:
    If the lich sorcerer commonly referred to as “Xykon” will ever be, at some future point in time, within at 1000-foot-radius of one of these two magical gates, of which of those locations will he be in said radius first, chronologically?

Emphasis mine.
    An illusory magical gate is also a magical gate. So could the self-opening gate that leads to Girards mansion. The oracle only needs a little bit of wiggle room to come up with accurate but useless information.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs down Re: Who's Going to Destroy Girard's Gate?

Quote Originally Posted by rbetieh View Post
    An illusory magical gate is also a magical gate. So could the self-opening gate that leads to Girards mansion. The oracle only needs a little bit of wiggle room to come up with accurate but useless information.
    Yeah, because the Oracle was totally looking for wiggle room when he asked Roy to rephrase the question.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Please no more crazy theories about the Oracle's prophecies... they cause me pain...

The Belkar ones are bad enough.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect:
    Girard's -- Linear Guild (either Nale or a mook of Nale's (such as Thog) commanded to do so, possibly after Sabine suggests it to Nale)
    Kraagor's -- The IFCC through V (I think all the Gates will be destroyed and this time the rift problem will be permanently solved)

It's also worth noting that all 3 Gates have been indirectly destroyed by their respective Scribbler in some way:

Lirian's -- The two treants may have done it intentionally; Lirian doesn't act shocked when she hears the explosion, so she may have told them to do so under desperate circumstances
    Dorukan's -- Self-destruct mechanism set up by Dorukan
    Soon -- Two paladins of Soon made the decision to destroy his Gate; a former paladin of Soon ultimately did the act, inspired by O-Chul's position

Just a coincidence?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

24. - Top - End - #24

Lizardfolk

I'm leaning towards Durkon destroying the gate and dying as a result. I'm of the belief that Durkon will be killed during the turn of events revolving around Girard's Gate. I've been trying to theorize how he would actually die and self-sacrifice to prevent Xykon from claiming the gate sounds up Durkon's alley and pretty epic to boot. Maybe it would earn him a special place up in the clouds with Thor until the Order resurrects him. Think of all the comedy potential with Durkon and Thor together.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaran View Post
    I'm leaning towards Durkon destroying the gate and dying as a result. I'm of the belief that Durkon will be killed during the turn of events revolving around Girard's Gate. I've been trying to theorize how he would actually die and self-sacrifice to prevent Xykon from claiming the gate sounds up Durkon's alley and pretty epic to boot. Maybe it would earn him a special place up in the clouds with Thor until the Order resurrects him. Think of all the comedy potential with Durkon and Thor together.
    I kinda doubt that would happen. Who would res Durkon? That scenario kinda gets rid of the walking box of band-aids in the party. If Durkon dies, there are only really two possibilities: either the party has to travel with his body for a while until they find someone who can res him, which has already been done with Roy and would just seem like a repeat, or someone (like Malack, for instance) would res him instantly, making his death completely extraneous and pointless - why have him die if he comes back to life ten minutes later? Wouldn't it just be easier to have him just live, and not waste a filler strip rezzing him?

I think if someone in the party dies from hereon, they will not be coming back (such as Belkar's prophecy states). Secondary and tertiary characters could still be brought back if they die, though. Probably. Maybe.

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

I kinda doubt that would happen. Who would res Durkon? That scenario kinda gets rid of the walking box of band-aids in the party. If Durkon dies, there are only really two possibilities: either the party has to travel with his body for a while until they find someone who can res him, which has already been done with Roy and would just seem like a repeat, or someone (like Malack, for instance) would res him instantly, making his death completely extraneous and pointless - why have him die if he comes back to life ten minutes later? Wouldn't it just be easier to have him just live, and not waste a filler strip rezzing him?

I think if someone in the party dies from hereon, they will not be coming back (such as Belkar's prophecy states). Secondary and tertiary characters could still be brought back if they die, though. Probably. Maybe.
    We all know that Durkon will enter his homelands posthumously. I'm in the camp that believes that Girard's Gate will be destroyed AND Durkon will die before events with the next gate truly unfold. Through deduction it's commonly believed that the last gate is in dwarven lands so the Order, after in my current theory, want to res Durkon for his heroics and need to get to the last gate. Thus they bring Durkon with them on their quest to the last gate, in dwarven lands, and presumably find a cleric of Durkon's order to res him. Anyway, in an attempt for me not to derail this thread I'll just point you in the direction of a thread I posted a few months ago on this topic that you can take a look at: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205521.
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Personally, I'm betting Belkar will destroy the Gate, and die in the process.

Kind if similar to Dakaran's scenario, my theory. Just have it in my head as a kind of 'final redemption' for Belkar, sort of thing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Perhaps Durkon and Belkar will work together to destroy the Gate; both die, Belkar permanently and Durkon until he can be resurrected.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Durkon entering his homelands posthumously and then being ressurected is extremely likely and would fit the last story arc perfectly as well as the Oracle's prophecy.

That said, I highly doubt the destruction of this gate will be anything premeditated as none of the previous gate destructions were. All of the previous gates were destroyed through an accident, right after one of the sides won. First Xykon and Redcloak won, then the OOTS won, and then Soon won. So I'm voting for accident. I'm also voting for one of the sides actually winning the conflict before this happens. Maybe Tarquin.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I stand corrected. Good to know. :)
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!