Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Art Upgrade Project (Image Heavy)

I was talking to Thanqol about this, and after a few days of thinking it over it doesn't really seem like a terrible idea, so:
    Art Upgrade

A group "learns-to-draw" thread, except you don't post everything you draw

• A new exercise per week (or fortnight) every now and then (...). Many exercises may span a single theme, like line or tone.
    • Try and complete it to the best of your ability. Ask questions here if needed and we'll try to answer them together.
    • Post up your art by a deadline. Once we've got some art in the thread, everyone should try and leave some comments on other people's work.
    • There is no need to pad criticism as long as it is constructive.

We will be focusing on fundamentals for now because that's a) ultra important and b) everyone could use more work on their foundations. For instance, my school provided us with art materials then left us to figure it out on our own. So I can do shiny stuff with pencils and Photoshop but my foundations aren't as solid as I'd like. The focus will probably tend towards figurative art, though we'll probably have some experiments in abstraction too. (Figurative includes both realism and manga/other stylized forms in my book.)

Interested? We've started, but you can still join - reply with a link to your art; what you're interested in drawing/painting/whatever; and what media you have access to (pencil, paints, tablet etc.)

Quick Links to Exercises
    1. Line quality
    2. Basic forms

Here's mine:
    Spoiler
    Show

Art: thread in my sig and http://jess-sketches.tumblr.com/tagged/art
    Interested in: I dunno, everything? But mostly humanoid character-driven illustrations (with backgrounds), comics, digital art and learning how to use oil paints
    Media: tablet, pencils, colored pencils, pens, charcoal, acrylic/watercolor/oil paint, umm a lot of stuff basically

For my convenience:
    Mailing list - Eleanor_Rigby;Glass Mouse;Thanqol;Trazoi;Capt. Ido Nos;Fri; Kasanip;Kaytara;SiuiS;ninja_penguin;Remmirath;Sean Mirrsen;Zorg;Savannah;ShadowySilence
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2012-01-05 at 08:14 AM.

I draw pictures:

(haven't been updated in a while and you can read the comic here)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Gauging Interest] Art Upgrade Project

I'm going to follow along for the challenges if no other reason

Profile Cardin'

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: The daily update goes here, the stuff I like goes here.
    Interested In: At the moment, getting the hang of digital colouring, whatever that means.
    Media: Tablet, occasional pencils.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-11-22 at 07:00 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, this is somewhat similar to the Challenge thread, innit? Except more on the informative side than the practice side.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mm, not quite. More of like a structured pseudo-art course thing for now.

I draw pictures:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm interested; it would help to have some concerted direction for these drawing thingies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Art: My daily art thread
    Interested in: Most things, aiming towards cartooning/comic style stuff, goal of a webcomic and/or game illustration
    Media: Pencil, digital ink/paint, vector
    Learning Inkscape - An Order of the Stick Guide
    Spoiler
    Show

Some of my Avatarist Awards: (click the award to go to the image!)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I might be interested in this...
    I'll be honest and say I get fairly anxious about putting my stuff 'out there' for people to see, when it's my personal drawings, at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: I've not got a thread or other particular online gallery (my photobucket is too scrappy to count) but I'll edit some examples in here later, probably I inked and coloured some of Mazeburn's sketches, have started and failed to complete a few multi-paged fancomics for the Murphy's Law fancomic, contributed to the late collaborative forum comic, Round Robin and have posted a couple of things to do with the play by post campaigns I'm in
    Interested in: illustrative stuff and sequential art and you know... just doodling.
    Media: Varies.

...huh. There are pretty much no finished pieces in there. Ah well.
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-11-22 at 12:53 PM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Hm, this is somewhat similar to the Challenge thread, innit? Except more on the informative side than the practice side.
    In the "something is drawn every week" sense, I guess so. But the Challenge is more of a quantity/practice based ironman thing with a lot of freedom, where this seems much more focused and... what Saeyan said

In any case, this is a great idea. I'm in!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Art: Here.
    Interested in: Humanoids, sequential art, illustrations, getting better. I'd like a more expressive, comic-y style, but I really need to get... everything down first.
    Media: Pencils, digital colouring and shading. Starting up on inks.
    Catch me on: Twitter - DeviantART

Are you a creative person? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE and up your productivity!

Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge, courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't promise to participate with any degree of consistency, but sure, I'm in. :D

Profile: Kaytara
    Spoiler
    Show

Art: Fantasy Art, Odds & Ends
    Interested in: Humanoids - poses and the like. But pretty much anything fantasy related. And horses. Also backgrounds and settings.
    Media: Digital, pencils, crayons, markers
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2011-11-22 at 01:04 PM.

*Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My OotS fanart thread: click here for proof that I have no life. Or, if you're debating with me and need fuel for an ad hominem, click for proof that I AM hopelessly fixated on Vaarsuvius.:)
    Spliced!Kyrie avatar by Zanaril. Who else?

My Deviantart gallery

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

This sounds like a fantastic idea! Heaven knows I could use a little direction and a lot of work on the fundamentals. Consider my card thrown into the pile.

Me Myself and Ido:

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: Drawthread is right here, and I might throw in a link to my dA eventually, once I decide to update it for the first time in a few years >___>;;
    Interested In: Improvement. I'm stagnant, and the thought of that is even worse than my skill level. Ultimately interested in character drawing, cartooning, and animation. The odd landscape is fun, and I can never draw too many world trees.
    Media: Primarily tablet w/Photoshop Elements. Pencil too, but my scanner... less than ideal right now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Okie Doke, sure. I could certainly stand to improve, if only so I don't lose sight of Thanqol over the horizon

Spoiler
    Show
    Art I have a bunch of stuff scattered throughout. Bits in Thanqol's art thread, some in Ponythread learns to draw (Together!) and all the rest scattered throughout the MLP:FiM threads proper. I have an old dA account I'm not allowed to link to, as well, but that was mostly for social networking XD

Interested In depth; I've seen a pics by a friend and was blown away by the feel of of it. Clean line work; because. Cartooning/Sequential art; because it's my usual medium despite my sucking at it. Digital painting & color theory; because Moe is inspirational, and I can only go so far with a mechanical pencil and some 2b lead.

media is pencil and paper. I have an old, old tablet somewhere, and could probably grab a digital program, but want a better understanding of what I'm doing, so I don't light it on fire in frustration.

Now to add this to the subscription list so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle... here's hoping I don't drag the rest of you good artists down
    "Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems like fun, so I want to try too! I will do my best. Let's enjoy drawing together.

Spoiler
    Show

Art: I have sketchbook thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139582
    Interested in: I want to join in the community, I want to learning digital drawing, to make beautiful coloring, and landscape with characters. I want to make another comic, maybe for English. I want to make 'finished picture'.
    Media: Pen tablet, pencil, pen
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I"d be interested if only I understand what this thread is about even by a tiny bit.

You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.
    Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I"d be interested if only I understand what this thread is about even by a tiny bit.
    As far as I understand, it will go something like this:

- Let's draw something involving lots of dramatic lighting, people!
    One week later:
    - Okay, here's mine!
    - Here's what I did.
    - OMG, that sucks!

..Except, you know, with more constructive criticism.

*Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My OotS fanart thread: click here for proof that I have no life. Or, if you're debating with me and need fuel for an ad hominem, click for proof that I AM hopelessly fixated on Vaarsuvius.:)
    Spliced!Kyrie avatar by Zanaril. Who else?

My Deviantart gallery

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    As far as I understand, it will go something like this:

- Let's draw something involving lots of dramatic lighting, people!
    One week later:
    - Okay, here's mine!
    - Here's what I did.
    - OMG, that sucks!

..Except, you know, with more constructive criticism.
    haha! A little bit, but probably more boring for now. Basic shapes, lines, simple perspective...I'm thinking the first one will be on lines and line quality - a very basic 'varying line weight' kind of thing. (Feel free to skip the earlier things Kay; I'll be forcing myself to go through all of them because I really need to work on foundations)

I'm considering keeping technical exercises like that in this thread, but also getting you guys to draw things specifically applying what you learned from an exercise, posting that in your own art threads, and linking them back here. Was sick and can't really think straight so I'll come back later with some diagrams to make things clearer.

Fri, think "Drawing 101".
    SiuiS, what do you mean by 'depth'?
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2011-11-23 at 10:37 PM.

I draw pictures:

15. - Top - End - #15

It sounds like fun (and useful). I've been rather busy with school of late, so I might not be able to participate very consistently, but I'd like to take part.

Spoiler
    Show

Art: My website hasn't been updated in some time, as you can see, but there's still a lot on there.
    Interested In: People in fantasy settings, armour, weapons, fight scenes, dragons, that sort of thing. Occasionally other things as well.
    Media: Mostly I just use a mechanical pencil, but I'm interested in other things also. Digital painting, for instance.

16. - Top - End - #16

I think I'd like to pitch my hat into this; I've been trying to work on drawing again, and this would help the motivation/inspirations, I guess.

All my stuff is going to look hilariously extra horrible though, due to lame scanners and the like.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in, when I can. I like having a set timeframe to do it in, forces me to get on with the job

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: Some on my blog.

Interested In: I can draw people - I need to draw people in action more, with more expressions and that sort of thing. Drawing dudes. Also working without line art into a more realistic style than semirealistic (think the face at the end of this post).
    Better shading.

Media: Pencils - B&W as well as watercolour, felt tip pens. No didgital except minor touchups.
    Last edited by Zorg; 2011-11-25 at 03:19 PM.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

great, more people! I have two exams, two interviews and one university application due soon so maybe we'll only get started proper around 2nd Dec. Everyone interested is still welcome to throw their hat into the ring.

ninja penguin do you have any art posted online?
    zorg, that's a decent tutorial which covers many points I'm also planning to go through. But I am not a fan of the erase-the-lines-later approach. If you can help it, start light and let your shading overtake the lineart as the picture progresses.

I draw pictures:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I understand what this is about now.

Anyway, my gallery is in my sig, and what I'm interested in is slightly different.

What I'm interested in is constructive criticism. For a while, I've been feeling that my drawing isn't improving. I've been stuck in this amateur level for a long time, and I want to know, what's missing from my drawings to make it looks professional.

A lot of artist community are stuck in 'if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything.' I wish to know what do I miss to make my drawings looks more professional because I can't find it myself.

You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.
    Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    A lot of artist community are stuck in 'if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything.'
    /cups hand next to ear
    What's that you say? deviantART?

Don't worry, I'll crit you hard (though that may be difficult for the simpler exercises) and hopefully set the tone for the whole thing.

First exercise will be on line weight and line quality, how about that?
    Last edited by Saeyan; 2011-11-26 at 04:48 AM.

I draw pictures:

21. - Top - End - #21

I can probably try and participate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: I'm a pretty haphazard kind of artist, so I rarely keep everything in any one place. For the occasion however, I've thrown just about everything I could remember together and stuck it into my Dropbox gallery.
    Interested in: Anything and everything. My focus shifts with time, and right now it's somewhere on shading and lighting. I do know I still need to improve some of the basics too, but I'm a little too random to actually get to working on it. Right now I'm interested in ponies, so I'm drawing that, and practicing shading while I'm at it.
    Medium: Initially Paper&Pencil, still do doodle periodically. Right now I got a tablet, but still prefer thin softened brushes to keep "sketching".
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Iunno, you might wanna start off with something easier than lineweight, since you need to understand weight first for that to work. Maybe go for "break a body down into basic shapes" first?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyan View Post
    /cups hand next to ear
    What's that you say? deviantART?
    Do you know of any moderately-big places where a budding artist can network and get critisism? Like deviantart, just serious about it. I know of conceptart.org, but the overall skill level is sliiiiiiiiiiiightly above mine, and I had very little succes here on gitp.

@Fri, if you come to DA, I'll be more than willing to exchange critisisms (same with any other online art gallery, but I don't know any better). I suspect Domo would be delighted, too - he's great at kicking my butt, at least
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-11-26 at 10:18 AM.
    Catch me on: Twitter - DeviantART

Are you a creative person? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE and up your productivity!

Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge, courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe go for "break a body down into basic shapes" first?
    Line weight does require some knowledge of weight but that comes in mostly in gesture drawing, which we are nowhere near yet. For now it is more about creating a visual effect (light and shade, some rhythm) instead of conveying the weight distribution of the object. And most of us need to work on line quality. But that is a good idea, maybe for the second exercise.

Do you know of any moderately-big places where a budding artist can network and get critisism? Like deviantart, just serious about it. I know of conceptart.org, but the overall skill level is sliiiiiiiiiiiightly above mine, and I had very little succes here on gitp.
    Networking, yes, DA is valuable. Crit, hardly. CA is starting to become a bit of a mixed bag now...there are more people coming in who crit without the art to back it up. But it's a good place. Love it to bits.

I draw pictures:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

haha! A little bit, but probably more boring for now. Basic shapes, lines, simple perspective...I'm thinking the first one will be on lines and line quality - a very basic 'varying line weight' kind of thing. (Feel free to skip the earlier things Kay; I'll be forcing myself to go through all of them because I really need to work on foundations)

I'm considering keeping technical exercises like that in this thread, but also getting you guys to draw things specifically applying what you learned from an exercise, posting that in your own art threads, and linking them back here. Was sick and can't really think straight so I'll come back later with some diagrams to make things clearer.

Fri, think "Drawing 101".
    SiuiS, what do you mean by 'depth'?
    Difficult to explain. A sense of three-dimensionality in a single figure; I create 'depth' between different subjects, but I can't create depth in a single subject, even though logically parts of a body are further back that others. Instead, they come out flat.

Does that make sense?

Also, I need this sort of thing more than I thought; you only Wen into line weight and you've already lost me.

26. - Top - End - #26

ninja penguin do you have any art posted online?
    I do not, I'm afraid. I used to draw a bit, and tried to do a webcomic in high school. It was one of those godawful things that you do in high school and thank the gods that keenspace crashed and blew it up so nobody ever saw it.

I'm a bit of an incurable doodler, and I've been working at trying to develop my creative stuff to some unknown extent as a hobby. I understand basic proportion, but fail hard at shading and implying 3-dimensionality. I also have the problem that my eyes see things in realistic detail, but I draw in rather simplified ways so there's a serious disconnect with what I see, what I draw, and how happy I am with it.

As for a 'medium', right now my art supplies consists of a mechanical pencil with .5mm HB lead. My theoretical goal is to get my drawings up to the point where I can theoretically ink and color them on a computer, I guess. That help a bit?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    I do not, I'm afraid. I used to draw a bit, and tried to do a webcomic in high school. It was one of those godawful things that you do in high school and thank the gods that keenspace crashed and blew it up so nobody ever saw it.

I'm a bit of an incurable doodler, and I've been working at trying to develop my creative stuff to some unknown extent as a hobby. I understand basic proportion, but fail hard at shading and implying 3-dimensionality. I also have the problem that my eyes see things in realistic detail, but I draw in rather simplified ways so there's a serious disconnect with what I see, what I draw, and how happy I am with it.

As for a 'medium', right now my art supplies consists of a mechanical pencil with .5mm HB lead. My theoretical goal is to get my drawings up to the point where I can theoretically ink and color them on a computer, I guess. That help a bit?
    who are you and how have you lived my life?
    I couldn't remember that keenspot URL if I tried...

This is basically what I'm working with, if it helps at all Saeyan.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I may be interested... Well, I'm interested in getting better at art, but I tend not to do well with structured activities and am quite busy, so no promises.

29. - Top - End - #29

I would be very interested in joining, I really want to improve my abilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Art: In my signature. DA Link
    Interested in: Overall improving my abilities, like some of the other posters have said I feel as though I am stuck in a rut and can't really improve.
    Media: Inkscape (what I mainly use), pencil, colored pencils, markers, calligraphy set (I have one somewhere, but don't know how to use it), pens
    Love shows itself more in adversity than in prosperity; as light does, which shines most where the place is darkest. ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Spoiler
    Show
    Shadowysilence's Drawing a Day/Gallery- Critiques are Welcomed!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cool, anyone else?

Looking through everyone's work, first exercise is definitely going to be about line quality. Will get it up over the weekend. Is this load for homework okay, too much or too little? --> A page of line exercises, one observational drawing and optionally one drawing from imagination.

I draw pictures: