New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Sorry. Mostly I don't have any actual hate for the comic (But by god is it awfull). Its also hard to convey pronunciation and the phrase through text. But il try to tone it down.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    But il try to tone it down.
    That would be much appreciated.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    How is racism is one of the unforgivable sins in this comic, but classism is somehow acceptable? And yea, people who are called self centered pricks don't automatically go puppy eyed and remorseful. Especially when it's the truth.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Best Jayden arc EVAR!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    How is racism is one of the unforgivable sins in this comic, but classism is somehow acceptable?
    In Dominic Deegan, everyone is working class.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofOdd View Post
    How is racism is one of the unforgivable sins in this comic, but classism is somehow acceptable? And yea, people who are called self centered pricks don't automatically go puppy eyed and remorseful. Especially when it's the truth.
    Speaking of which, other than research what does an illusionist do?
    What is Miranda's father job?

Entertainment?
    Business simulations?
    Security?
    Magical thief?

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Actualy, i think todays comic were one of the better ones, i liked the way Miranda managet to handle the situation like an adult.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Actualy, i think todays comic were one of the better ones, i liked the way Miranda managet to handle the situation like an adult.
    Yes, but that only worked because Miranda's family used all the wrong arguments and ways against Donoven.

Would that reply work if Miranda's mother would simply state her fears based on the fact that Donoven does not have any stable job or roots anywhere?
    Would that work without making Donoven the victim of physical and mental torture?

9. - Top - End - #549

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    The last panel ruins it. The whole of the last week was Miranda's parents being unreasonable. Now Miranda gives one little talk and suddenly they're reasonable?

If Miranda's parents are angry about the wedding, and Miranda snaps at them, it seems far more in character for them to get more angry. In terms of the story, that's a good thing. There's conflict, Miranda might be forced to make a choice between Donovan or her parents, maybe they have to do something to try to patch things up. That's interesting.

Instead it looks like we're getting a Mookie story of the tale of how Miranda's parents were dismissive of Donovan until called on it, and then everyone was happy. Riveting stuff.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

The last panel ruins it. The whole of the last week was Miranda's parents being unreasonable. Now Miranda gives one little talk and suddenly they're reasonable?
    It's not ruined yet.

We see that what Miranda said had a big effect, which makes sense.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that the parents will instantly accept Donoven now, or like Miranda's choice.

If from here it goes to "first it felt forced and awkward, but over the years they slowly learned to accept it and even enjoy Donovan's talent", it will actually be good.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It doesn't necessarily mean that the parents will instantly accept Donoven now, or like Miranda's choice.
    "You underestimate the power- of lazyness and ignorace"

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsenal View Post
    "You underestimate the power- of lazyness and ignorace"

That's why I said it's not ruined YET

13. - Top - End - #553

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    We see that what Miranda said had a big effect, which makes sense.
    Not really. Last week it was Miranda's parents being all unreasonable. Miranda gives her Deegan speech, and now they're reasonable all of a sudden. Guilt trips don't work like that.

But hey, Mookie managed to have character conflict between "good" characters for about a week. That might be a new record.

14. - Top - End - #554

AssassinGuy

The best conflict we've seen in a while in DD -- and it's one with a foregone conclusion since it's in a flashback.

15. - Top - End - #555

Ughhhh. Mookie does it again. Miranda's mother says something that makes no sense, so that Miranda can rebut it with a nonsense comparison.

"He's a bard, deceiving people around him."

How exactly does Donovan deceive people around him? How is this a criticism of him, at all in keeping with what has been said previously? It doesn't, it was only said so that Miranda an chirp back up with he clever little retort about her father. Arguments don't work this way.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

16. - Top - End - #556

So, this is closer to an actual guilt thing, because Miranda's saying "You guys are being terrible and that's hurting my feelings," as opposed to last week's "You weren't a monk before you got married, and that's unreasonable." Hooray!

What does an illusionist do? My guess is extort people. If an illusionist walks into town, the town better start paying protection money, or discover that all of their coins have turned into POISONOUS SNAKES AHHHHHHH
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Let's come up with harder to refute Bard's flaws that Donovan might have.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

18. - Top - End - #558

Griffon

Guys, you're all missing a crucial point made in today's comic.

A Deegan has declared that illusions are "selfish" and "a deception" (ie: bad).

Man, it's a good thing that none of our other First-Tier Protagonists have ever relied on them as a primary form of defence, even against muggle villagers and innocent Dwarves who don't know anything about them, or as a means of amusing themselves when other people would have to rely on actual conversations or something....

.....Oh.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

19. - Top - End - #559

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    How exactly does Donovan deceive people around him?
    Well later on there is that little thing of pretending not to understand orcish for twenty years...

Edit: BTW it annoys me that Donovan is a "bard" instead of a musician or a minstrel or something more accurate to what he does. Mookie isn't bothering to hide he's cribbed everything in the Deeganverse from D&D.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-05 at 08:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think today's comic is bad, actually. Apart from the art, of course - check out old Stravo giving us his best blasé upper-class look in panel 2, by the way.

I can see this whole scene play out just like that. I can't see it as the moment that ended all arguments about Donovan, his idea to elope, and the marriage forever, which I assume it will be in the comic*, but hey, it's something.

*: I also hope that this is over now. I really want to go back to Jayden, at least her story looked like it would be funny. This just bores me. Giving us more details than just "My grandparents didn't like my father at first, so they made him feel bad. A lot." was such a terrible idea.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-12-05 at 08:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561

Griffon

In fairness, I'm more annoyed that he keeps using the word "Bard" when in the Medieval era (in which DD:OfH is supposedly set) it actually means "poet" rather than "singer" or "musician".

At best, Mookie has confused the term for "minstrel", which was basically a poet who accompanied his poems with an instrument and generally lived a vagrant lifestyle. THAT - a guy who is basically a hobo with a lute - would be something for a well-to-do family like the Deegans to be wary of, rather than the professional musician that Donovan is portrayed to be.

It's a 19th-20th century romanticism that makes the word have anything to do with singing. It was never accurate in the first place, and Mookie is misusing even that much. Author's License and all that, but still..... Call a rabbit 'a rabbit', if you want your audience to follow what's going on easily.

Incidentally, in looking for that link I said the word 'rabbit' out loud ten times in a row. It has weirdly lost any sense of meaning to me.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2011-12-05 at 09:10 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #562

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Incidentally, in looking for that link I said the word 'rabbit' out loud ten times in a row. It has weirdly lost any sense of meaning to me.
    That'd be the semantic satiation kicking in. Repeating any word long enough makes it harder to think of it as a word.

My guess about where this came from: not strictly autobiographical. Rather he was worried that something like this would happen, played out scenarios in his head, and then everything went better than expected. Since he'd thought of sweet comebacks to cutting insults, he decided he couldn't just throw them away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    My guess about where this came from: not strictly autobiographical. Rather he was worried that something like this would happen, played out scenarios in his head, and then everything went better than expected. Since he'd thought of sweet comebacks to cutting insults, he decided he couldn't just throw them away.
    So... replace "Bard" with "Webcartoonist?"

Re: Comic
    Honestly, this crap is becoming more like LICD with its blatant wish-fulfillment and plotlessness every day. At least DD used to have the pretension of some plot that existed outside the narrow desires of the protagonist

Also: From The Newspost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie
    On WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7 at 3pm US EASTERN STANDARD TIME, which is two days from now, a very limited number of Dominic Deegan scarves will go on sale in the SEER'S CATALOG. Be sure to get them while supplies last!
    Shall we criticize the scarf now? It will likely be more interesting than the comic.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2011-12-05 at 09:24 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Am I the only one who's just glad this was resolved like adults instead of having a week of Miranda beamspamming her parents and Donovan hitting them with a guitar?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

25. - Top - End - #565

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Am I the only one who's just glad this was resolved like adults instead of having a week of Miranda beamspamming her parents and Donovan hitting them with a guitar?
    To be honest, that sounds hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

This strip comes closer to being decent than any other has in quite a while. That said, as has been mentioned, the last panel sabotages the whole thing a bit.

Sigh.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #567
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Yeah, I can see them getting into a beamspam fight over it and then making up at the end... I prefer the quick guilt trip, which isn't entirely mature but better. Also, we CAN assume for our own sanity that Dominic is summarizing the argument, which may not have been as clean-cut as we saw. It probably WAS, but we can pretend.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

28. - Top - End - #568

But hey, Mookie managed to have character conflict between "good" characters for about a week. That might be a new record.
    Except they clearly weren't supposed to be good. They were strawmen who just happened to be related to one of the good guys, and just now they've seen the light and been redeemed.

This strip made me want to run my head through the wall. As soon as Miranda started her walls of text I could predict what the end was going to be. As if she wasn't already enough of a Mary Sue.

29. - Top - End - #569

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Shall we criticize the scarf now? It will likely be more interesting than the comic.
    You leave Scarf out of this! He's done no harm!

I don't really have an opinion on what's going on in comic right now, but it is kind of sobering to realize that I don't want Mookie to go into more detail on Rilian or some of the other characters' backstory after seeing this. It seems like it'd just be best for him to leave the past mysterious for most of the characters.
    Last edited by BlackDragonKing; 2011-12-05 at 11:16 AM.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    I don't really have an opinion on what's going on in comic right now, but it is kind of sobering to realize that I don't want Mookie to go into more detail on Rilian or some of the other characters' backstory after seeing this. It seems like it'd just be best for him to leave the past mysterious for most of the characters.
    Its the Cod. The camera of death. When ANY character has the spotlight on him they end up stupid, crazy and dull.