New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    No. As in it's in the past.
    They seem to ignore it still exist (worse than before).
    For them it's past, it's finished, and should have no influence on the important plans ahead of them, like weddings and stuff.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    I'm the happiest orphan ever.
    "Kill one person and you can solve so many problems. I wonder at the possibilities."
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I liked that line, coming from Luna (and only from Luna). It's as if Mookie remembers that peoples' emotional problems aren't instantly forgotten when they're "solved" - and actually, that's one thing he's reasonably good at. Instantly forgiven, yes, forgotten, no.

Man, why do I defend parts of this comic when the strip as a whole was patently stupid?

And Mr. Travoria was mentioned in the past only to say that Mama Travoria had him killed, as an off-hand "oh, I should have seen this coming" remark by Luna on Amelia's plot to kill Szark way the hell back when they were introduced.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #785
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait a minute... Wasn't it established in this strip that the Beast actually isn't a threat? Shouldn't they be worrying about the King instead? Or did Mookie forget about that strip and is actually trying to revamp the Beast's threat level? If it's the latter... HAAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

6. - Top - End - #786

Imp

That is the worst interviewer I've ever seen. Ever.

Although I am amazed that Mookie is able to say that something he wrote was bad. I shudder to think what he thinks is worse than Dominic Deegan.

And then there's this: "Stealing from people is not a sexy fantasy thing... it's stealing from people, and it's mean and it's awful." Stealing is serious business, guys. It's not something you can do flippantly, like rape.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    And then there's this: "Stealing from people is not a sexy fantasy thing... it's stealing from people, and it's mean and it's awful." Stealing is serious business, guys. It's not something you can do flippantly, like rape.
    Is that an actual quote from him?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

8. - Top - End - #788

Imp

"Stealing from people is not a sexy fantasy thing... it's stealing from people, and it's mean and it's awful" is a direct quote.

As is "I wanted to make a sexy rapist."
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

9. - Top - End - #789

I...think I just hit snarkstrumentality.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

10. - Top - End - #790

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    That is the worst interviewer I've ever seen. Ever.
    Curse you obnoxious kid!

It was hilarious how the interviewer thought it was okay to invite a guy dressed as Deadpool to interrupt the video, then doubly hilarious that he later learned it was the head of Team Four Star of Dragon Ball Z Abridged and was beating himself up that he didn't dump the Mookie interview for him.

Stuff I learned:
    • Mookie spends 6 to 8 hours per strip.
    • More confirmation that Mookie's approach is to try and flip what he thinks are fantasy cliches (orcs are now heroes! thieves are now mean! Siggy is a jerk!)
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-08 at 04:46 PM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

6 to 8 hours... that's how long i take for drawing things i really, really don't want to be doing but have to anyway. (Luckily that is in the past.)

And Mookie isn't even striving for visual appeal or drawing all that much in general. There's barely any content in any given page.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #792

So, um, I was reading
    Spoiler
    Show
    in the hopes that it would include a DD burn. (I don't think it does.) And I ended up wondering how to explain the magic in DD. And then I remembered that there was a subplot about all of the mages in Callan fizzling (I think Dominic was hanging out in Maltak where he was powerless anyway, at the time.) except for Miranda, who got turned into a walking multi-use nuke. And then she earthed her extra power in magical items that I'm sure will have no significance whatsoever (I am going to cry if that actually ends up going nowhere).

So, what I'm wondering now is... did the whole "O NOES, R MAGIKS IS DEED" plot go anywhere after that? I mean, Papa Masters did say he was going to get his seers to investigate... which means that either that problem got resolved and I forgot, it got resolved offscreen and nobody commented on it, or the Masterses are getting swindled again.
    Last edited by mwchase; 2011-12-08 at 05:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    So, um, I was reading
    Spoiler
    Show
    in the hopes that it would include a DD burn. (I don't think it does.) And I ended up wondering how to explain the magic in DD. And then I remembered that there was a subplot about all of the mages in Callan fizzling (I think Dominic was hanging out in Maltak where he was powerless anyway, at the time.) except for Miranda, who got turned into a walking multi-use nuke. And then she earthed her extra power in magical items that I'm sure will have no significance whatsoever (I am going to cry if that actually ends up going nowhere).

So, what I'm wondering now is... did the whole "O NOES, R MAGIKS IS DEED" plot go anywhere after that? I mean, Papa Masters did say he was going to get his seers to investigate... which means that either that problem got resolved and I forgot, it got resolved offscreen and nobody commented on it, or the Masterses are getting swindled again.
    Wow, that has one of my favorite series in it. I love the Dark is Rising, and no one ever seems to have heard of it. There's no Enchanted Forest Chronicles though, that makes me sad.

That's pretty much all I have to say.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #794

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    So, um, I was reading
    Spoiler
    Show

Didn't they find out that the Beast was feeding on the magic? And the reason it was never resolved was because Mookie can't make up his mind about what the Beast feeds on?

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Well, there's the explanation then, the beast just changed its diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I liked that line, coming from Luna (and only from Luna). It's as if Mookie remembers that peoples' emotional problems aren't instantly forgotten when they're "solved" - and actually, that's one thing he's reasonably good at. Instantly forgiven, yes, forgotten, no.
    I thought it wasn't bad at all until I read the newspost and saw that, apparently, Luna is supposed to genuinely feel nothing but what she said there and Mookie thinks of this as a sign of her having become so much stronger.

16. - Top - End - #796

6-8 hours is how long it takes for me to do my good comic pages, even more. The ones I do quickly take 4 or less, like my Mousehunt fancomic.

EDIT: Maybe I should redraw one of Mookie's ages to prove it doesn't take that long to draw.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2011-12-08 at 07:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    I thought it wasn't bad at all until I read the newspost and saw that, apparently, Luna is supposed to genuinely feel nothing but what she said there and Mookie thinks of this as a sign of her having become so much stronger.
    Again, STEP ONE OF ENJOYING ANY WEBCOMIC: DO NOT READ THE NEWSPOST, EVER. Literally the only exceptions to this are ones where the newspost is nothing but a second punchline/extended alt text, like Darths & Droids.

Of course, it's too late for Dominic Deegan as a whole so I guess it doesn't hurt.

That said, I think if you translate this from bizarre Mookie logic into human thought, it makes sense. Luna has gotten stronger and moved on. Her words, expression, and the tone that both imply clearly indicate she's still bitter and scarred by her parents and their fates, but it's just scars, no longer gaping suicide-inducing emotional wounds.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    EDIT: Maybe I should redraw one of Mookie's ages to prove it doesn't take that long to draw.
    I was just going to suggest the following: Now that we know how long it takes Mookie to produce a strip, we can measure ourselves against him. So this weekend, we sit down to write and draw Monday's strip, and upload it at some point on Sunday, preferably before the Sneaky Gate is opened, and say how long it took us.
    Then we see if anyone wrote or drew something worse than Mookie and laugh at these people and their strips, as well as - most likely - Mookie and his.

Who's in?

That said, I think if you translate this from bizarre Mookie logic into human thought, it makes sense. Luna has gotten stronger and moved on. Her words, expression, and the tone that both imply clearly indicate she's still bitter and scarred by her parents and their fates, but it's just scars, no longer gaping suicide-inducing emotional wounds.
    Oh, it makes sense, but I wouldn't say it indicates she got stronger as a person, just that she's slowly working towards really moving on or something - I don't know, psychoanalyzing sock puppets is hard. I can only definitely say that I don't see it as a praiseworthy display of inner strength, yet I apparently am supposed to.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-12-08 at 07:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #799

GnomeWizardGuy

Panel 2 isn't so bad if you take it to be a whole mix of conflicting emotions. "Happiest orphan ever" is wrong and clunky, but it isn't too far fetched for someone to say that with all those different emotions battling it out.

What makes it uncanny valley weird to me is how Luna gets from there with no beat to Panel 3 "Let's make our marriage all about us and our love". Talk about mood whiplash. (Especially since Dominic was there when Luna was made an orphan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    6-8 hours is how long it takes for me to do my good comic pages, even more. The ones I do quickly take 4 or less, like my Mousehunt fancomic.
    I sometimes take 6-8 hours for one of my crappy comic drawings. It's usually 3 hours of erasing mistakes and 3 hours of playing around with colour like a kindergartener. I'd think if I stuck to B&W line art and worked daily I'd get faster.

I was just going to suggest the following: Now that we know how long it takes Mookie to produce a strip, we can measure ourselves against him. So this weekend, we sit down to write and draw Monday's strip, and upload it at some point on Sunday, preferably before the Sneaky Gate is opened, and say how long it took us.
    Then we see if anyone wrote or drew something worse than Mookie and laugh at these people and their strips, as well as - most likely - Mookie and his.

Who's in?
    I would be in, but does this technically count as genuine Dominic Deegan fan art? I'm not sure that's a line I want to cross.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Dwarf in the Playground

The interviewer was more obnoxious than the "annoying kid". Mookie's inability to remember his own plot at the time was mildly amusing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Toast1862 View Post
    Wow, that has one of my favorite series in it. I love the Dark is Rising, and no one ever seems to have heard of it.
    I loved that series as a kid, and I had the same problem. The one friend I had talked into reading it returned the first book complaining that it was too slow.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Panel 2 isn't so bad if you take it to be a whole mix of conflicting emotions. "Happiest orphan ever" is wrong and clunky, but it isn't too far fetched for someone to say that with all those different emotions battling it out.
    Yeah, I really think I wouldn't mind it at all - clunky or not - if it weren't for the newspost and my unwillingness to give someone who tries to write sexy rapists the benefit of the doubt.

I would be in, but does this technically count as genuine Dominic Deegan fan art? I'm not sure that's a line I want to cross.
    Nah, it's not fan art.

It's fan fiction in comic form.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2011-12-08 at 08:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #802

Who's in?
    Or, we can spend all weekend trying to figure out what the Huss is going on over in Homestuck, though I suppose maybe I should just subscribe to that thread, as well.

Seriously, though, I'll give it a shot. Probably not going to have anything of high quality past the linework, though. I don't have a scanner, just a camera that can be messed with to take high-res images that then have to have all the noise flattened out. Alternatively, I could try using my tablet, but that's, um, it has facilities for drawing, but that is not its primary purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

23. - Top - End - #803

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I did do a version of the DD cast in vectorised form last year. I never posted it because it was half-finished, half-assed and half-horrible.
    Spoiler
    Show

Apparently there was going to be Spark as there's a sketch file here but the image was aborted before I got that far:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #804

BlueWizardGirl

I cannot draw*, and I have finals to study for. Maybe over Christmas break I could give writing 800 words worth of story a try.

Edit: That's probably 300x more content then the average strip!

*Dysgraphia is a terrible thing.
    Last edited by Feddlefew; 2011-12-08 at 08:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Colossus in the Playground

sexy rapists
    Honestly, is this line going to be the equivalent of CAD's miscarriage arc? Constantly brought up, over and over and over again? Oh what am I saying, there are at least 5 different "miscarriage arc" type things in DD.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    Didn't they find out that the Beast was feeding on the magic? And the reason it was never resolved was because Mookie can't make up his mind about what the Beast feeds on?
    It's quite simple - magic is based on fear.
    The more terrified you are of wizards, the more power that they exert upon you. And, of course, the more power they exert upon you, the more you come to fear them.
    Wizards cultivate this fear through ignorance, and acting like there are great and hoary secrets of magic, world- and mind-shattering things behind it. But there is none. A wizard's shield is his arrogance, and your cowardice forges for him a fine sword.

Or, y'know, Snuggly just eats what he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Maybe over Christmas break I could give writing 800 words worth of story a try.

Edit: That's probably 300x more content then the average strip!
    Are you implying that the average strip has a mere 3 words (rounding) in it? A LUDICROUS CLAIM.
    Last edited by rocketpony; 2011-12-08 at 09:33 PM.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

27. - Top - End - #807

BlueWizardGirl

I meant 300%. But the more important question is if I/you/one can sum up a week's worth of strips in 21 15 words...

Edit: fix'd.
    Last edited by Feddlefew; 2011-12-08 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Honestly, is this line going to be the equivalent of CAD's miscarriage arc? Constantly brought up, over and over and over again? Oh what am I saying, there are at least 5 different "miscarriage arc" type things in DD.
    Well, that story arc is what Dominic Deegan is most infamous for.

(Plus it's not as if CAD doesn't have a chain of other terrible elements.)

29. - Top - End - #809

Nah, it's not fan art.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help in drawing fanfiction comics of DD, but I could help with writing if this becomes a project for us...

It might give me something to do with my outline revising DD's story arc almost in its entirety, anyhow. >> << >>

[/notacompulsiveficcer]

And you have to give Mookie credit, even the War in Hell had nothing on CAD's miscarriage.
    Last edited by BlackDragonKing; 2011-12-08 at 09:47 PM.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

30. - Top - End - #810

Consequences?

We Shall See

So looks like Mookie has been reading forums again, and has realized that all the meddlin' those darn Deegan kids have been doing might have aroused the ire of the powers that be. If this does lead to a wedding cancellation, this means all of this build-up was utterly without point. Huzzah.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984