New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Lol, of course it looks like poo-poo. Since Mookie doesn't put any effort into his pages, why the hell should I? Nice that they like the direction I was going for tho.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2011-12-11 at 03:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Welp, here's my page, took me 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Remember back then when Mookie treated 4 panels as 1 update and when he started doing 8 panels it was like getting double updates everyday? I decided to go for that coz I couldn't find any way to stretch the script for 8 panels. I like my plot straight to the point.

EDIT: Fixed grammar mistake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice. Admittedly the white voids and similar faces are far more noticeable with decent art, but hey - if you were doing this for real you would have five more hours to play with. And I think you've moved the plot in one strip further than it will for three months for real.

I'm stumped with mine. I haven't drawn enough comics yet for this to come naturally. And it's the writing where I'm completely stuck - I can't write Dominic without choking. Everything turns into mockery instantly.

And I think I've burned two hours already trying to draw enough arrogance into Dominic. It's never enough smug.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show

You see?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-11 at 07:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #873

Remember back then when Mookie treated 4 panels as 1 update and when he started doing 8 panels it was like getting double updates everyday? I decided to go for that coz I couldn't find any way to stretch the script for 8 panels. I like my plot straight to the point.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...I just saw this and thought that maybe I'd missed an extra strip or something, since I didn't remember a strip moving the plot in the last week at all.

Needless to say, I'm terribly disappointed that not only there wasn't any such strip, but I also had to soak in the difference between Humbug's drawings and the terrible, bizarre concept that Mookie believes is drawing.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

You see?
    Reminds me of Scrooge McDuck.
    Last edited by Castel; 2011-12-11 at 07:53 AM.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

It's the eyes and eyebrows, I think. They look more angry than smug.

5. - Top - End - #875

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Reminds me of Scrooge McDuck.
    Now I can't unsee that. (Although I was sort of inspired by Ebenezer Scrooge.)

@Johnny: I was going for something that exudes hubris, so something that could range from arrogance, smugness, sneering and contempt.

I have a design for the king too, but it was kind of cheating as it was one of the only two kinds of kings I can do: athletic Henry VIII versus chubby Henry VIII.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-11 at 08:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

You can do as many looks for kings as Mookie can for an entire sex. I say that's something.

Also, your Dominic's got hubris covered alright.

Oh, and stop making up excuses before even uploading something. I can't draw at all; there's a very high chance that whatever primitive carvings I end up oploading will look worse than Mookie's crap, a problem I don't see you having.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Barbarian in the Playground

Now I can't unsee that. (Although I was sort of inspired by Ebenezer Scrooge.)

@Johnny: I was going for something that exudes hubris, so something that could range from arrogance, smugness, sneering and contempt.

I have a design for the king too, but it was kind of cheating as it was one of the only two kinds of kings I can do: athletic Henry VIII versus chubby Henry VIII.
    I think the big nose is the problem. It makes him look like some snooty rich guy. Shrink the nose and it'll be a perfect Dominic, I think.

8. - Top - End - #878

And I think I've burned two hours already trying to draw enough arrogance into Dominic. It's never enough smug.

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show

You see?
    How 'bout this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Smugbrows are a powerful weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Troll in the Playground

Why is it shaking its ass.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I started now and I think this joke may just end up being made at my own expense.
    Also, damn hands, why do we even have those stupid things?

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Why is it shaking its ass.
    Dominic is trying to trick the king by playing dead.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Gez, did you just pull a mouthflip there? I have such mixed feelings about that—but I'm still laughing.

I also love how his scarf is nowhere near his neck.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aw. That just made me curious for an strip that I can never read

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the point where this idea become plagiarism.
    Couldn't it pass as an exercise in art drawing? I heard art students copy art at batches during their study to learn. As long as now ownership is claimed, and the exercise is dominating, couldn't it pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #883

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Gez, did you just pull a mouthflip there? I have such mixed feelings about that—but I'm still laughing.
    Mouthflip and smugbrow.

I kinda regret the mouthflip because (beware: can't unsee):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It makes the overbite kinda look like a scrotum, what with the big honking phallic nose above it. But on the other hand, it emphasizes that Dominic is a prick.

14. - Top - End - #884

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The goons apparently missed that it was an exercise seeing how long it actually takes to make a Mookie comic. (Eight hours of work according to Mookie, vs. two hours and twenty minutes.)
    To be fair, that's pretty positive commentary as far as Goons go.

Spoiler
    Show

You see?
    Heh, I like it. Very "old Sunday comic strip" feel to it.
    LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #885
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Aw. That just made me curious for an strip that I can never read

Couldn't it pass as an exercise in art drawing? I heard art students copy art at batches during their study to learn. As long as now ownership is claimed, and the exercise is dominating, couldn't it pass?
    If you did it once or twice then yeah it would count as an exercise in art drawing, but my idea of basically redoing every comic as its released so as to make it better is plagiarism.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #886
    Troll in the Playground

Damn it, can't get my scanner to work - I probably could if I looked for the software and drivers, but not now.
    I'm done drawing now, though, just need to color it or at least do some proper outlines.

I kinda regret the mouthflip because (beware: can't unsee):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It makes the overbite kinda look like a scrotum, what with the big honking phallic nose above it. But on the other hand, it emphasizes that Dominic is a prick.
    And you regret that?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

riiiight…..because becoming the very thing we snark against is such a smart move……

I'm going to continue to snark at the real comic, thanks.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #888

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    riiiight…..because becoming the very thing we snark against is such a smart move……
    When you snark too long into the terrible, the terrible snarks back at you.

19. - Top - End - #889

GnomeWizardGuy

Smugbrows are a powerful weapon.
    Ah, what I was missing was arching the eyebrows. Dominic does that all the time and it adds to the insufferableness.

Mouth flipping works a little too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Also, damn hands, why do we even have those stupid things?
    Don't get me started on hands. They take as much time as the rest of the image combined and they still end up awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    It's not a good idea to get drawing tips from copying Deegan. That way madness lies.

The most annoying thing about trying to capture a Deegan character is the hair, because when you translate it into your own style you realise all the main characters have exactly the same hairstyle.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-11 at 04:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #890

Imp

When you snark too long into the terrible, the terrible snarks back at you.
    We are become Mookie, Dominus of Worlds.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #891

It is 9PM EDT, and I'm about to get started. Current progress: panel borders drawn with ruler, do not line up, probably too small.

... It's my style!

EDIT: Update ten minutes later. Panel 1: penciled, Panel 2: BURN IT. BURN EVERYTHING.

(I decided on a hamfisted segue into a Nimmel interlude.)

(Besides the fact that this... involves Nimmel, it also involves his hair. I think I might give him an adorable fur hat.)

Panel 3 penciled: **** * it, I'm going full subnormality on this terrible, terrible idea.

*Asterisks manually typed.

Panel 4: No, wait, that's even worse. Augh the legs are terrible.

BONUS: I now know how this comic is going to end.

HAHA, Oh, man, this is not even quarter-assed. Attempting to emulate Dominic Deegan is a terrible way to try to hit the ground running.

Wait. Why am I drawing bodies? This is DD, that's silly. Going to fix this grievous error now.

Panel 6: Oh no, Nimmel, put on a snorkel, or you'll suffocate on that thought balloon!

Panel 8: He was so surprised that his head melted and his hat flew off!

Okay, writing is done, pencils are done. Let's get this travesty inked and edited.

Wait Nimmel where are your ears. Put them back on.

Panel 1, bold text, and some commentary text inked. This is going to be a: TERRIBLE, and b: done in a bit over an hour, tops.

THERE IS INK AND PAIN EVERYWHERE.

... Also, this is a fairly accurate representation of what DD sounds like when described, IMO.

Okay, it's inked and erased, I think. I'm going to give my hand a break before I take the picture and edit it a little.

Okay, on the one hand, this was done in a fourth of the time, or less. On the other hand, it's pretty much worse than DD can possibly be.
    Spoiler
    Show

DO ****ING BETTER THAN THIS, MOOKIE.

(I like how I evidently missed some of my spelling mistakes with the eraser.)
    Last edited by mwchase; 2011-12-11 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizor View Post
    If I go crazier and end up writing fantasy, my magic will not be called the Power or the Talent or the Gift.

It will be called by ancient Elvish words that translate as Oh Dammit.
    Great Szark avatar by Toast1862.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    We are become Mookie, Dominus of Worlds.
    I See The Truth of what you did there.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #893

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    On the other hand, it's pretty much worse than DD can possibly be.
    No! You said it! Now it will happen!

By the way, your strip makes zero sense to me. But Mookie's strips make negative sense, so your strip is better in that area.

Sneaky gate is sneaky.
    Future link is... in the future.
    Boring strip is boring.
    Last edited by Mr. McGician; 2011-12-11 at 11:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Troll in the Playground

I got my scanner to work.

The world ain't ready.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

I love this one-- not only did he copy/paste a panel, he digitally sized it down (probably in mspaint) to match his sloppy, lazy panels when he could have just used a template so it wouldn't be a problem.

Spoiler
    Show

Look at that. I did nothing but overlay them. This is incredibly shoddy. I'm impressed.
    With Open Eyes
    A terribly formatted, unfinished site containing a bad comic.
    Oh and I also have a dA account.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #896

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mwchase View Post
    Okay, on the one hand, this was done in a fourth of the time, or less. On the other hand, it's pretty much worse than DD can possibly be.
    Spoiler
    Show

DO ****ING BETTER THAN THIS, MOOKIE.
    Man you're shaming me by posting a complete strip. I must rectify this.

Spoiler
    Show

You can barely tell the difference from the real thing.

27. - Top - End - #897

Well, the difference is Trazoi, that yours actually made me laugh. And mwchase, that is pretty bad, lol. Do better.

28. - Top - End - #898

I'm still amazed at Mookie's drawing skills. How can he manage to make a kiss look so incredibly... wrong. It's just... good grief, man.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

29. - Top - End - #899

GnomeWizardGuy

Huh I didnt know the comic had updated. I'm not that shocked my strip was so close, because we all know how this goes by now.

The smart thing for them to do is book the wedding in, say, ten years. Now they're invincible for a decade.

Edit: What is up with that duplicated panel? It doesn't even make sense from the flow of the conversation. Was there something really awful there originally in panel 5 that needed covering up?
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-12 at 12:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. McGician View Post
    No! You said it! Now it will happen!

By the way, your strip makes zero sense to me. But Mookie's strips make negative sense, so your strip is better in that area.

Sneaky gate is sneaky.
    Future link is... in the future.
    Boring strip is boring.
    "Something bad could happen to one of us at ANY time"
    Yes, that's why doing something that might distract our attention from danger sounds like the best idea at the moment.