New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Someone, I beg you, make a slay of this or something. I don't know how much of this I can take.
    Behold this Cross-Post Reacharound brought to you by Schlega:
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlega View Post
    The past year's worth of Deegan has been amazingly uninspiring, but I'm starting to feel classy again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like the Slays of old, it makes DD hurt less
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XLI: No Morals! No Quarter! All Brutal!

Oh man, I miss Schlega's slays. Where has he been?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Oh man, I miss Schlega's slays. Where has he been?
    Uninspired for 2011, but who can blame him?

Heck, we had no more than 1-2 slays per month for most of 2011, compared to the Slay-Offs we had back in the day. I was worried that we'd lose the art of Slaying entirely at this rate

But this slay, man. It shows how Mookie's Art and Mookie's Words can be recombined to create horrors that seem to have flowed from the man's pen itself. Incredible.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

On today's comic: ech.......
    As others have said, lightly gag-inducing sappy dialogue. For me the big thing is panel four, where the flounderfaces, contorted into grimacing approximations of what I assume is supposed to be a romantic look. Makes Dominic look like some kind of doppelganger mirroring Luna. Seriously, why did his eyes shrink compared to his face? It looks like Mookie copy-pasted Luna's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    You should also check out the video of the annoying kid he mentions once or twice. No ten seconds pass without someone doing or saying something almost painfully stupid.
    Wow. That was cringe-inducing. Do you think that guy knows what the word maven means by the way? It feels like a misuse of the word. I wouldn't trust this guy to provide me any information, let alone on media.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-12-13 at 10:44 AM.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Yeah. The "6-8 hours per comic" bit was what inspired our drawing diversion, by the way.
    You should also check out the video of the annoying kid he mentions once or twice. No ten seconds pass without someone doing or saying something almost painfully stupid.
    Wow... I didn't think I'd ever see someone who made Mookie look so professional.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing that annoys me the most is the reason for the romantic moment.

It's not character development, not plot that is going somewhere, and not even natural reaction of the characters.
    It's specifically meant to drag time until next year.

Mookie, if you need a break, just take it.
    Fill it with fan arts, or even with just a page saying "taking a break".
    BUT DON'T DRAG THE COMIC MORE THAN YOU USUALLY DO JUST TO MATCH IT TO OUR WORLD'S NEW YEAR!!!!

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm. On one hand, Mookie uploaded a annoyingly filler-ish comic today. On the other hand, he just linked to this on his Twitter.

I like him today. or I just wanted an excuse to share. Cuteness overdose ftw!
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2011-12-13 at 11:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    The thing that annoys me the most is the reason for the romantic moment.

It's not character development, not plot that is going somewhere, and not even natural reaction of the characters.
    It's specifically meant to drag time until next year.
    And what annoys me about that is that this going-nowhere arc started in late November. Mookie chose to burn an entire month because the end of the year was looming. If Mookie had any sense of pacing or an idea of where he was going he could have spent this month setting up all the pieces to fly out of the gate in 2012. But instead he's going to have to spend January doing what he could be doing now. And that's the best case - the likely case is a replay of 2011 where we begin the year with another series of pointless mini-arcs because Mookie hasn't a clue where he's going with this Beast plot.

Did Mookie once say he was planning on wrapping up Dominic Deegan around the ten year mark? That would be May 21, 2012, which is unlikely. As well as the timeframe I'm not sure Mookie could bring himself to draw DD to a close and make the leap to something else. He's certainly not making any signs that he plans to wrap everything up next year.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    And what annoys me about that is that this going-nowhere arc started in late November. Mookie chose to burn an entire month because the end of the year was looming. If Mookie had any sense of pacing or an idea of where he was going he could have spent this month setting up all the pieces to fly out of the gate in 2012. But instead he's going to have to spend January doing what he could be doing now. And that's the best case - the likely case is a replay of 2011 where we begin the year with another series of pointless mini-arcs because Mookie hasn't a clue where he's going with this Beast plot.
    Hmmm... There are all these stupid talks about the world ending in 2012, and DD was planned to end at 2012.
    Coincidence? I don't think so!

Did Mookie once say he was planning on wrapping up Dominic Deegan around the ten year mark? That would be May 21, 2012, which is unlikely. As well as the timeframe I'm not sure Mookie could bring himself to draw DD to a close and make the leap to something else. He's certainly not making any signs that he plans to wrap everything up next year.
    You forget Mookie's definition of "wrapping things up".
    It can end with a wedding after closing all open events with in a single strip of talking faces, assuming the events don't get completely ignored.

10. - Top - End - #970

GnomeWizardGuy

You forget Mookie's definition of "wrapping things up".
    It can end with a wedding after closing all open events with in a single strip of talking faces, assuming the events don't get completely ignored.
    Mookie would have to wrap up the Beast storyline by February to have three months of wedding nonsense involving all his favourtine author insert characters. It's not impossible, but I doubt Mookie will figure out what to do by then.

Although I supoose Mookie could just do the wedding and do his usual trick of having the Beast fly at them in a rage going all arglearghargh only to get one-shotted by insert-mookie-insert-here. Then repeat for the king.

The other thing is that Mookie's just got married, and that often means a couple plans to start a family. Unless the infertility arc was based on real-life (and good grief I hope it wasn't) there might be a baby on the way in 2012. There's no way Mookie's current routine will survive that, so if he can't learn how to plan ahead and make a buffer then it's the end of Dominic Deegan.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2011-12-13 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971

Why does this arc have such gigantic walls of text? Has Mookie become so inept at writing that he needs so many words to tell so little story?

This is the most boring arc ever. It would be more entertaining if Mookie didn't update at all and I just looked at the same strip everyday.

12. - Top - End - #972

This is basically how the comic For Better or Worse ended, so, uh. Be careful what you say callously with the desperate hope that you won't be right, but a tiny voice whispers in your ear that it isn't impossible, it isn't even unprecedented.
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

13. - Top - End - #973

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Wow... I didn't think I'd ever see someone who made Mookie look so professional.
    I agree.

Though it's impressive that he's willing to wave the "my family is made of lawyers!" threat at a youngster. And by impressive, I mean somewhat depressing.
    LGBTitP

14. - Top - End - #974

GnomeWizardGuy

Stupid obnoxious kid, semi-professional interviewers only derail their videos for Deadpool.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    This is basically how the comic For Better or Worse ended, so, uh. Be careful what you say callously with the desperate hope that you won't be right, but a tiny voice whispers in your ear that it isn't impossible, it isn't even unprecedented.
    No need to look far, this is how the last few arcs ended.
    Unlike other weird guesses, this time I suspect that my estimation is more than likely.
    In fact, I half WANT it to be true, because I fear that the alternatives will be worse...

16. - Top - End - #976

BlueWizardGirl

17. - Top - End - #977

Sneaky Gate

Future Link

Oh no, Luna's lactating from her eyes again. Also, I wish Melna would come in and punch Luna again.

Edit; AHH! NINJA! But yeah, those aren't tears. More like the consistency of mayonnaise. And I just made myself mildly ill.
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2011-12-14 at 01:59 AM.
    - George Orwell, 1984

18. - Top - End - #978

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd. I knew this was going to be Luna's turn for romantic twaddle, but I wasn't prepared for this level of "LOOUUHHUH".

I hope the king is slowly torching their house and/or Spark & Donovan while they waste time with this nonsense. If only they had the foresight to do something instead of absolutely nothing.

19. - Top - End - #979

AssassinGuy

Knowing this was coming didn't make it any easier to look at.

I'm actually curious about how Mookie can feasibly drag this out for another two weeks.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feddlefew View Post
    Oooh, manga style tears.
    Or maybe it's tentacles?

Anyway, not much to say or snark about.
    Don't think it will change soon.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Goddammit, Luna, you're supposed to wet your SLEEVE with tears! God, you are so not miyabi! This isn't even aware! (No, not that kind of aware. The other kind. It's a Heian Era joke. DON'T JUDGE ME.)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #982

No, no, I understand the strategy perfectly. It's rather brilliant, actually.

Would you keep the Deegans under psychic surveillance if this was what you had to watch to do so?
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

23. - Top - End - #983

That is just...
    so
    Mentally I was thinking of that as a strip slay. The last 4 panels are just...
    How do you write things like that and keep a straight face? He HAS to be snarking the readerhood.

24. - Top - End - #984

NecromancerGuy

Luna is such a pathetic character.

25. - Top - End - #985

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Goddammit, Luna, you're supposed to wet your SLEEVE with tears! God, you are so not miyabi! This isn't even aware! (No, not that kind of aware. The other kind. It's a Heian Era joke. DON'T JUDGE ME.)
    I doubt Luna is capable of emotions as complex as mono no aware. I knew it was going to be something along these lines, but I thought it was going to be something a little bit deeper than "I just love him soooooooo muuuchhhhh *bawls*"

Luna is so two-dimensional she'd disappear if she ever turn sideways. Hey, maybe that's why they have flounder face. All the characters are shown from a static angle, they just morph and rearrange their features on their front plane.
    - George Orwell, 1984

26. - Top - End - #986

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobikus View Post
    Luna is such a pathetic character.
    "I am now a strong independent woman now I have a strong, capable man."
    (Cue Melna fist upside head.)

27. - Top - End - #987

NecromancerGuy

"I am now a strong independent woman now I have a strong, capable man."
    (Cue Melna fist upside head.)
    Wouldn't annoy me half as much if Mookie didn't actually think he's making a good female character. (Luna's even worse than a serious version of Kate Beaton's "Strong Female Characters")

28. - Top - End - #988

This is a terrible terrible page.

I'm wondering if any of Mookie's fans are actually enjoying this?

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

This is a race to the bottom, isn't it?

Things that I'd rather read about than this utter dreck:

• Orc rape
    • Dominic naked in a young lad's head
    • Lobsters
    • Werewolf Sue-boobs
    • Cattleblaster facial hair
    • Magical fertility clinics
    • Sword-scrying
    • Supergreg
    • Callanian laws
    • Elven tree-nobles
    • Facebath

Yes, I said it. Facebath is less painful than this.

Congratulations, Mookie. You're making Facebath look good.

I want to believe that he can't keep this up for another week and a half, but I know the mantra. It always gets worse.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

30. - Top - End - #990
    Troll in the Playground

Panels 5-7 rival Moonface. 7 is just ridiculous. How can someone think that looks acceptable.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2011-12-14 at 03:20 AM.