New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Meh, it only has that affect on Americans.

I will say that not everyone spreads it thick like peanut butter, but there are some that do.
    Nah, I also heard it from Europeans and the Japanese.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

You need to be raised on it, IMHO, to have a taste for it.

Vegemite is great for hangovers and when you're feeling sick.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. It certainly is an acquired taste. It took me years to be able to stand it.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

My nan used to use it in gravy.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I will say that not everyone spreads it thick like peanut butter, but there are some that do.
    My husband does that... though he freely admitted to me once that he usually only did it to freak out the exchange students at their 'welcome to Australia' breakfasts (he had a scholarship to uni that involved a student exchange, so he had to take part in these things - or something). He got a kick out of freaking them out.

You need to be raised on it, IMHO, to have a taste for it.
    Agreed.

My nan used to use it in gravy.
    oooh yum - I bet it's great in gravy

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Vegemite and cheese is actually the god king of all toast toppings. No exceptions.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Again, Peregrine does that (well, he does vegemite and cheese sandwiches, but same principle). On the other hand, I think that's just wrong...

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Other than AFL and Vegemite I don't think there's anything left to make me proud to be Australian*

*(This is a joke, don't get all ANZAC day and/or first female suffrage or whatever at me)
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2012-05-09 at 07:49 AM.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I just found out tonight at my weekly game of darts that my parents have recently spent 4k on my brother because they bought him a laptop and paid for his car to get fixed after he got into an accident.

There is now no way in the fiery lakes of Heck that I can let them do anything for my birthday because I can't in good conscience let them waste any money on me after they're already so much out of pocket on my brother.

They're going to do their darndest to do something for my birthday, any ideas on how I can circumvent them paying and pay myself if they do somehow coerce me into it?
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Move to the wilds of Siberia.

Seriously though, just plain tell them that you don't want them to spend money on you.
    However, in the long run, if they're determined to get you something, there's not much you can do, so tell them that you really really want a particular thing that also happens to be cheap. That, unfortunately, has a low chance of success.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    *(This is a joke, don't get all ANZAC day and/or first female suffrage or whatever at me)
    I won't. First female suffrage was New Zealand, not Australia (well, one of the first at least, NZ was the first country to give women the vote, I know that much).

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    There is now no way in the fiery lakes of Heck that I can let them do anything for my birthday because I can't in good conscience let them waste any money on me after they're already so much out of pocket on my brother.

They're going to do their darndest to do something for my birthday, any ideas on how I can circumvent them paying and pay myself if they do somehow coerce me into it?
    You could just graciously accept that they're your parents and they love you and let them do something nice for you, you know... They know what they can and can't afford, and it wouldn't kill you to just accept that they want to do something for you. However, I know you and I know that you won't so Elemental's idea is the best... come up with something not too expensive and just tell them that's what you'd like (for instance, when asked what he wanted for his birthday by his mother, my husband said 'licorice' - and that's exactly what he got).

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

But I can't afford to move to Siberia.

And honestly, I really truly hate getting gifts. It makes me feel both really guilty and kinda makes my skin crawl because it feels kinda patronizing. I'm a big boy now, my birthday isn't important anymore and people don't need to try and make it out to be something special because I really don't think it is anymore :/

And I know they love me, that's precisely why I don't think it's fair that they should have to get me something for my birthday after forking out so much money on my brother recently.

Also the fact that there is nothing that I really want that I would term cheap that I can't just get for myself. And that most of the things that I'd like to buy aren't even released yet so I'm just pre-ordering them anyways.

I don't know. I just feel too old for people to make a big deal outta my birthday anymore :/
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

In that case, I have no idea what you can do.
    Except for accepting your fate stoically and insisting on practical or edible gifts.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-05-10 at 06:04 AM.

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    I won't. First female suffrage was New Zealand, not Australia (well, one of the first at least, NZ was the first country to give women the vote, I know that much).
    You weren't your own country til 1907, so no credit for you silly kiwi
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

15. - Top - End - #495
    Orc in the Playground

Monkey island is my favourite game and I will never, ever get tired of it. I still have my Monkey island Madness CD that I got in 96, which has the first two in the glorious 8 bit with limited colours and midi music.

This is the only way to play it, IMHO.
    One of my favourite characters ever was in Monkey Island. The blind lookout.... I played that game back in the early 1990s on my 16-bit Commodore Amiga. Around that era, I was running several 1st Edition D&D games.

Although we didn't have spot checks like modern D&D, I made sure to include a couple of blind lookouts in a couple of adventures, with players who hadn't played the game.

One group of mainly evil PCs were really dismissive of the guy and killed him for fun. So later his blind and deaf brother came back for revenge... however this guy didn't need to see or hear, he had stacks of magical abilities that meant he really didn't need to..... the PCs really under-estimated the threat he was. That was a lot of fun, all based on 1 guy from the game.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    In that case, I have no idea what you can do.
    Except for accepting your fate stoically and insisting on practical or edible gifts.
    The only thing I actually really want though is really stupid and probably expensive so I can't ask em for it. What I want is a really high quality chefs knife with a sharpening kit, because cooking is a passion of mine and I think a good knife is an awesome thing to have but I'd feel really stupid asking them to buy me that :/

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

The only thing I actually really want though is really stupid and probably expensive so I can't ask em for it. What I want is a really high quality chefs knife with a sharpening kit, because cooking is a passion of mine and I think a good knife is an awesome thing to have but I'd feel really stupid asking them to buy me that :/
    I don't know why they'd object to that. It's a very practical gift that you'll have for years.
    You could subtly mention in conversation how hard it is to cook without proper knives (let's face it, you need different sized ones). If you're lucky, they'll get the hint, and you'll get some knives.
    My brother got my Mum a set of knives for her birthday last year, and they have been amazing (not so much for me, but I can only poison people, not cook).

Dragons!

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

It's bad luck to get knives as a gift, you should trade them for a 5c or something.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ettin in the Playground

It's bad luck to get knives as a gift, you should trade them for a 5c or something.
    Really? I wasn't aware of that.
    I suppose, it would probably be a mortal insult in certain situations.

Dragons!

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

They're buying me a laptop and won't let me pay them back with the reasoning that they didn't give me anything for my 21st birthday and that they've spent a lot of money on my brother lately D:

I mean don't get me wrong I could use a new laptop, but this is too much and I don't like the implication that they're trying to even things out between the children.

It makes me uncomfortable D:

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

Just turn around and buy them something really nice.
    And when they say you shouldn't have, counter by telling them that they shouldn't have got you that laptop.

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Or... you could just be gracious, say thank you and not spoil it for them... since they clearly want to do something nice for you.

And they're parents, they will always want to try and 'even things out' - because they don't want to feel like they're showing favouritism - it doesn't matter if you don't see it that way, it matters that they most likely do and if you stubbornly insist that they don't need to you're just going to end up making them feel bad.

I should know... I am 29 and my sister is 32 and my mother still does this with us. It's not as bad now that I live in Australia, but I remember quite clearly, every year my mother would lay out Christmas presents on her bed and match up the things she'd gotten me to the things she'd gotten my sister to make sure they were equal. And if they weren't (in her mind) she'd go out and buy something else to remedy the situation. And no matter how many times my sister and I told her it didn't matter, she didn't listen. Eventually we realised that this was something she needed to do for herself and we shut up about it.

Just let your parents do something nice for you - if they want to feel like they're keeping things even between you and your brother - it's not really any of your business, it's their decision, not yours.

(and yes, I know I'm kinda ranting... I just have a bit of a pet peeve with people {myself included sometimes} who are great at giving to others, but are utterly incapable of receiving graciously.)

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

I found that out later on about parents and presents, sometimes it's what they want to give rather than what you want to get.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Or... you could just be gracious, say thank you and not spoil it for them... since they clearly want to do something nice for you.

And they're parents, they will always want to try and 'even things out' - because they don't want to feel like they're showing favouritism - it doesn't matter if you don't see it that way, it matters that they most likely do and if you stubbornly insist that they don't need to you're just going to end up making them feel bad.

I should know... I am 29 and my sister is 32 and my mother still does this with us. It's not as bad now that I live in Australia, but I remember quite clearly, every year my mother would lay out Christmas presents on her bed and match up the things she'd gotten me to the things she'd gotten my sister to make sure they were equal. And if they weren't (in her mind) she'd go out and buy something else to remedy the situation. And no matter how many times my sister and I told her it didn't matter, she didn't listen. Eventually we realised that this was something she needed to do for herself and we shut up about it.

Just let your parents do something nice for you - if they want to feel like they're keeping things even between you and your brother - it's not really any of your business, it's their decision, not yours.

(and yes, I know I'm kinda ranting... I just have a bit of a pet peeve with people {myself included sometimes} who are great at giving to others, but are utterly incapable of receiving graciously.)
    But I don't want to be gracious. It honestly does feel really patronising that they feel the need to try to equal things out like they were keeping some kind of list of what they've bought and done for all of us over the years. I really do try my best to pay my own way and be vaguely self sufficient because that was what was drilled into me at an early age. I've always grown up knowing that money was tight and that my brothers were more important because of that. I don't resent them for that. It's just what had to be done at the time.

I'm okay with being ignored and flying under the radar. That's why I really don't like people making a big deal out of my birthday and things. I just don't want to be made a fuss over >_>

I know people think I'm just being ungrateful and that I should just accept it, but I can't. I just don't see myself as being important enough for people to go to such lengths.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

All I can say now is, if they're going to ignore your every objection, you'll just have to accept it.
    Perhaps ask them to donate to a charity instead?

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

But I don't want to be gracious. It honestly does feel really patronising that they feel the need to try to equal things out like they were keeping some kind of list of what they've bought and done for all of us over the years. I really do try my best to pay my own way and be vaguely self sufficient because that was what was drilled into me at an early age. I've always grown up knowing that money was tight and that my brothers were more important because of that. I don't resent them for that. It's just what had to be done at the time.

I'm okay with being ignored and flying under the radar. That's why I really don't like people making a big deal out of my birthday and things. I just don't want to be made a fuss over >_>

I know people think I'm just being ungrateful and that I should just accept it, but I can't. I just don't see myself as being important enough for people to go to such lengths.
    I think you're important enough, Moonshadow.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else getting Diablo III? My fiance has my copy and I'm getting home to him ASAP so we can count down the hours.

After 10 years of waiting it's hours away!

My Blog The Level 1 GM

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

My friend's getting that. My computer won't run it unfortunately.
    But I am getting a new computer soonish.

Dragons!

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

I was debating getting it, but with my attention span these days and my general uninterest in the Diablo series apart from the story lead me to pass on it.

Still on the fence about Borderlands 2 as well, actually.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

Servers aren't responding. Stupid unpreparedness!

My Blog The Level 1 GM