New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

Okay They seemed enthusiastic, there's nothing in the job that I can't do.

They are currently halfway through interviewing the half-dozen short listed applicants and I will find out next week what happened. I'm guessing the rest of the people will be interviewed today, possibly Monday, so at least I won't have to wait too long to find out. Got the impression they want to fill the job asap. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I kinda really want this job. It sounds like fun.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

So.... Bank post record profits yet again, then proceed to raise the interest rates, and now I believe the ANZ has just sacked 1000 people, citing it as "necessary to maintain profits".

What the hell. Seriously?
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Who wants to set up a 6 player game of Killing Floor, everyone links to an always on voice conference, then we record the whole event (at least one ingame video and everyone's voice) and put it on YouTube?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    So.... Bank post record profits yet again, then proceed to raise the interest rates, and now I believe the ANZ has just sacked 1000 people, citing it as "necessary to maintain profits".

What the hell. Seriously?
    I'm not sure it's a good thing to talk about on this forum, but suffice to say that running a bank isn't as easy as the media and politicians make out.

And to address that question, it makes sense that they would remove obsolete positions in order to maintain profitability, considering that the cost of credit has gone up massively because of the global economic situation (that is, it costs more for the banks to borrow money) they need to do something to save money.

(And for the record, I will not hear arguments about excepting lower profits, we live in a capitalist economy, it makes no sense to demand that someone put in the time, effort, energy, capital and risk required to run and maintain a large business then demand that they not make money off it).

Errr... Sorry if that sounds like a rant. I've had one of those days, and this is a topic I've had my ear chewed off about.
    Last edited by _Zoot_; 2012-02-13 at 07:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Who wants to set up a 6 player game of Killing Floor, everyone links to an always on voice conference, then we record the whole event (at least one ingame video and everyone's voice) and put it on YouTube?
    I'd be up for this, it sounds like fun.
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Possibly. I can volunteer my computer to record and upload, if I ever get time to a) play, b) edit it all.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    I'm not sure it's a good thing to talk about on this forum, but suffice to say that running a bank isn't as easy as the media and politicians make out.

And to address that question, it makes sense that they would remove obsolete positions in order to maintain profitability, considering that the cost of credit has gone up massively because of the global economic situation (that is, it costs more for the banks to borrow money) they need to do something to save money.

(And for the record, I will not hear arguments about excepting lower profits, we live in a capitalist economy, it makes no sense to demand that someone put in the time, effort, energy, capital and risk required to run and maintain a large business then demand that they not make money off it).

Errr... Sorry if that sounds like a rant. I've had one of those days, and this is a topic I've had my ear chewed off about.
    It's cool. I do understand that running a bank isn't "hurrrrr press button get moneys". And it's not getting rid of obsolete positions at all, they're simply sacking people here so they can send the jobs to India and the Phillipines. That really does not seem fair at all. They're already making billions of dollars. I don't think cutting the quality of customer service because you want to save a few bucks is a good thing at all.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post

Fair enough, except that there is a large gap between "demanding that they not make money off it" and expecting that they might consider leaving a few hundred jobs as-is rather than doing everything they possibly can to push the profit margin ever higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm in a much better mood than when you talked to me on Steam, so I will officially accept your offer and hope I don't derp up too badly. Advance warning, though: I wear special glasses when using the computer and my mic headset isn't that comfortable, so there may be sudden stops in my movement between rounds/when I have few zombies on me while I adjust/clean something. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be the case, but yeah...

...Anyone able to recommend a headset that has a good mic AND is comfortable?
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

10. - Top - End - #130

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    It's cool. I do understand that running a bank isn't "hurrrrr press button get moneys". And it's not getting rid of obsolete positions at all, they're simply sacking people here so they can send the jobs to India and the Phillipines. That really does not seem fair at all. They're already making billions of dollars. I don't think cutting the quality of customer service because you want to save a few bucks is a good thing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanealien View Post
    Fair enough, except that there is a large gap between "demanding that they not make money off it" and expecting that they might consider leaving a few hundred jobs as-is rather than doing everything they possibly can to push the profit margin ever higher.
    Those are good points, I hadn't really considered that they might simply be moving the positions to an other country, because in that case I'd be tempted to agree. It would be better to keep them here (even if it does cost more) both for customer service reasons and public relations (it's good to be seen to be keeping jobs in country).

And like you say, it isn't like they don't have a little money to spare.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds like fun. If I ever suck it up and buy that game <.<
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    This sounds like fun. If I ever suck it up and buy that game <.<
    BUY IT NOW!

85% OFF!

$2.99 USD ONLY! (Less after conversion.)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, why not.

Bought it, but can't install for ten days or so, when the internet resets.
    Last edited by Anuan; 2012-02-15 at 01:22 AM.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm in, just give me an idea of when.
    Last edited by SilverSheriff; 2012-02-15 at 06:43 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, sounds like a good way to get into Killing Floor. I've gone and bought it too, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    And two out of three leading anthropomorphic personifications of death agree on the matter.
    Happy to be PMed for rants about stuff, lousy jokes, challenges to a duel because I impugned your honour in that restaurant last night. Look, how was I supposed to know it'd fly that far?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Sounds like an entertaining spectator sport

What? I'm not a big computer-game-player, but I enjoy watching other people play. I do that with Peregrine all the time

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Sounds like an entertaining spectator sport

What? I'm not a big computer-game-player, but I enjoy watching other people play. I do that with Peregrine all the time
    At $2.99 USD, you and Peregrine should totally buy a copy each.

Rising Phoenix, you too.

18. - Top - End - #138

Rawhide is like our own personal Steam advertiser.
    Thanks to Skeppio for my avatar.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Level8Mudcrab View Post
    Rawhide is like our own personal Steam advertiser.
    Only for items I'm passionate about.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Rising Phoenix, you too.
    I've hardly got time to play games these days... but I'll buy it cause I can...

In other news... I've discovered WA's first Hudsonian Godwit on the 11/02/12...and Australia's 5th one overall...

This species breeds in arctic North America wintering in southern South America... this is one very lost bird!

The bird did a dissapearing act for three days, but thankfully re-appeared today. What's more exciting is that it sports a red flag on its left leg indicating that it was banded in Chile! So this bird has flown from North to South America back and forth at least once AND from North Asia to Australia!

... ah to have wings...

Edit: If you are wondering how I felt when I saw the bird it literally was like seeing a unicorn... I mean the statistical chances were so remote...
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-02-15 at 09:47 AM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Rising Phoenix, you too.
    Does it run on Linux? because we only have one Windows machine in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    In other news... I've discovered WA's first Hudsonian Godwit on the 11/02/12...and Australia's 5th one overall...
    Well done! That's awesome!

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Does it run on Linux? because we only have one Windows machine in our house.
    Yes, it does.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

This species breeds in arctic North America wintering in southern South America... this is one very lost bird!

The bird did a dissapearing act for three days, but thankfully re-appeared today. What's more exciting is that it sports a red flag on its left leg indicating that it was banded in Chile! So this bird has flown from North to South America back and forth at least once AND from North Asia to Australia!

... ah to have wings...

Edit: If you are wondering how I felt when I saw the bird it literally was like seeing a unicorn... I mean the statistical chances were so remote...
    Wow, that's really awesome! Lucky you, discovering that little gem, huh? *high-fives*

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

... ah to have wings...

Woooooaah... That's truly incredible...

I wish I could fly, as well...

Sir, are you by chance a bird enthusiast? I like birds, but I wouldn't be able to recognise most birds that landed on my face, despite my best attempts.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
    ...Anyone able to recommend a headset that has a good mic AND is comfortable?
    In that situation I would say disregard a headset, get a standalone table mic (they aren't too expensive, logitech make some) and get a good set of earbuds or earphones, they're a lot more comfortable with glasses.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Woooooaah... That's truly incredible...

I wish I could fly, as well...

Sir, are you by chance a bird enthusiast? I like birds, but I wouldn't be able to recognise most birds that landed on my face, despite my best attempts.
    IIRC, Phoenix is an ornithologist. And awesome.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Just thought I'd say hi to my fellow Australasian OotS reader.

So... Yeah... Hi!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Just thought I'd say hi to my fellow Australasian OotS reader.

So... Yeah... Hi!
    Welcome! ^_^

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god, they want to basically renovate the CBD to make it Manhatten style <_< More traffic congestion and even more people on our already struggling public transport system?

ZE HORRORRRRRR!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Which city are they doing this terrible thing to?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!