Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 912
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Moonshadow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Labyrinth

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Melbourne :/ It's just a good thing I rarely have call to go into the city these days.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

    AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Woooooaah... That's truly incredible...

    I wish I could fly, as well...

    Sir, are you by chance a bird enthusiast? I like birds, but I wouldn't be able to recognise most birds that landed on my face, despite my best attempts.
    I've been a birdwatcher since the day I was born. It's just the way I am wired. When I was a kid people would always say that I would grow out of it. They were wrong. I am doing my Ph D on the now! (speaking of my Ph D I REALLY should finish that research proposal...).

    As to learning to identify birds, everyone was at your level at the beginning. Just pick up an identification guide and start with the ones in your backyard. I am sure you can tell a Magpie from a Pigeon and a Cockatoo from a Rosella. But did you know that Australia has 24 species of pigeon and doves (Some are quite spectacular) and that in all likelihood you have two species of rosella visiting your yard?

    The fantastic thing about birdwatching is that you can practice it anywhere above ground anywhere in the world. You really only need a field guide (a camera and binos and scope help a lot, but you don't need them to watch birds).

    It's also a fantastic mental practice that has made me very perspective and you never know what you will see (e.g. my Godwit :))

    Ok I will stop now

    R.P.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    It's amazing what you find out when you Google something.
    I always thought that Rosellas were called so because of their red feathers (yes, I know that not all are red). Turns out they were named after Rosehill, the place they were discovered.
    You learn something new everyday.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    It's amazing what you find out when you Google something.
    I always thought that Rosellas were called so because of their red feathers (yes, I know that not all are red). Turns out they were named after Rosehill, the place they were discovered.
    You learn something new everyday.
    Indeed!

    They were also called pie birds as you needed 12 to make a decent sized pie back in colonial times.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Roc Ness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I've been a birdwatcher since the day I was born. It's just the way I am wired. When I was a kid people would always say that I would grow out of it. They were wrong. I am doing my Ph D on the now! (speaking of my Ph D I REALLY should finish that research proposal...).

    As to learning to identify birds, everyone was at your level at the beginning. Just pick up an identification guide and start with the ones in your backyard. I am sure you can tell a Magpie from a Pigeon and a Cockatoo from a Rosella. But did you know that Australia has 24 species of pigeon and doves (Some are quite spectacular) and that in all likelihood you have two species of rosella visiting your yard?

    The fantastic thing about birdwatching is that you can practice it anywhere above ground anywhere in the world. You really only need a field guide (a camera and binos and scope help a lot, but you don't need them to watch birds).

    It's also a fantastic mental practice that has made me very perspective and you never know what you will see (e.g. my Godwit :))

    Ok I will stop now

    R.P.
    Woaaaaah... its like a "follow your dreams" story ripped from a fairy tale.

    I myself am proud to say I know my Indian Minahs from my Noisy Minahs, except that I can't for the life of me remember what was the appropriate spelling for "minah", or even if they both are spelled the same. I myself love to draw birds, except they don't stay still enough for me to do so...

    Would you mind PMing me some career advice? See, I have a close friend who is incredibly passionate about birds, far moreso than myself, and is looking down the path of ornithology but has little idea what to do (and is also somewhat pessimistic about his chances/parent's approval and all that). I think it would be incredible for him to get some advice from you! 8D

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    It's amazing what you find out when you Google something.
    I always thought that Rosellas were called so because of their red feathers (yes, I know that not all are red). Turns out they were named after Rosehill, the place they were discovered.
    You learn something new everyday.
    Oh my god I live near there! XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Indeed!

    They were also called pie birds as you needed 12 to make a decent sized pie back in colonial times.
    ...
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2012-02-18 at 03:34 AM.
    HOHO! GUESS WHO JUST FINISHED HIGHSCHOOL!


    Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Oh god, they want to basically renovate the CBD to make it Manhatten style <_< More traffic congestion and even more people on our already struggling public transport system?


    ZE HORRORRRRRR!
    That's better than what the planned redevelopment is over here. They want to create an island in the shape of a swan. What are we, Dubai?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    They were also called pie birds as you needed 12 to make a decent sized pie back in colonial times.
    They made pies out of rosellas? That's just wrong.

    I think I'll stick with knowing the difference between a willy wagtail and a crow


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Firstly, as to the spelling: Indian Mynah and Noisy Miner.
    What is with this spell check? It recognises neutrino, but not mynah?

    Back to the topic at hand:
    What is with these city-planners? Artificial islands? Manhattanisation?
    Fix the problems that exist already!
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Woaaaaah... its like a "follow your dreams" story ripped from a fairy tale.

    I myself am proud to say I know my Indian Minahs from my Noisy Minahs, except that I can't for the life of me remember what was the appropriate spelling for "minah", or even if they both are spelled the same. I myself love to draw birds, except they don't stay still enough for me to do so...

    Would you mind PMing me some career advice? See, I have a close friend who is incredibly passionate about birds, far moreso than myself, and is looking down the path of ornithology but has little idea what to do (and is also somewhat pessimistic about his chances/parent's approval and all that). I think it would be incredible for him to get some advice from you! 8D
    If you think I can be of any help, please go ahead and PM me :).

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Firstly, as to the spelling: Indian Mynah and Noisy Miner.
    What is with this spell check? It recognises neutrino, but not mynah?

    Back to the topic at hand:
    What is with these city-planners? Artificial islands? Manhattanisation?
    Fix the problems that exist already!
    Tell me about it. You'd think that they would have learned something after all these environmental collapses across Australia/the world... Perth is especially bad atm... all this reckless development... We don't have water for all these people!
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    I have a feeling the swan island isn't going ahead any more - everyone rose up in complaint. Kinda like when they tried to bring in daylight savings over here. I think I was the only person in the state who genuinely didn't care. But then again, I grew up with it, so it doesn't really bother me.


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    V'icternus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Why are the trains in Sydney so much better than the ones in Melbourne?

    Seriously, the gap in quality and service is monstrous.

    And airport access via train! That's inspired! Why can I not have this?

    First time in Sydney since... the Olympics, actually, and I was impressed.

    Though I did notice a lot of out-of-order elevators. Get that looked at.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Avatars below thanks to the amazing Ceika!

    Current Avatar done by me.


    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm just the token penguin on the team.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you think you know me well enough, or just want to chat, PM me for my Skype info sometime!

    Warning: May contain high traces of Aussie

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Anuan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Handme Downs, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    You think Sydney trains are better than Melbourne? I've found them to be far more confusing, on par punctuality-wise, and many, many times more expensive. Plus since you buy a direct ticket instead of a zone ticket, if you don't take particular route - sometimes a particularly awkward one - the ticket won't go through the machine at the end and you get an awkward conversation with the guard. I'd much rather pay three bucks and get wherever I want however I want.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    They made pies out of rosellas? That's just wrong.
    From a certain perspective, it's no more or less wrong than making pies out of pigeon, or even out of chicken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    I think I'll stick with knowing the difference between a willy wagtail and a crow
    Except there are no crows in Western Australia - just ravens.
    Avatars: "Fetlock Equinari, Ponytrician of Flanhk-Marepork, featuring Bank Chairman Mr Fusspot" by Dirtytabs; Ponified Othar Tryggvassen by Madcrafter; "Dexam with April from CRFH!!!" by Maritza Campos.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Except there are no crows in Western Australia - just ravens.
    Are they ravens? really?

    Every single person I've ever met or talked to in the five years I've been here has called them crows. Are the annoying big black birds all actually ravens?


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    From a certain perspective, it's no more or less wrong than making pies out of pigeon, or even out of chicken.



    Except there are no crows in Western Australia - just ravens.
    Weeeeelll, if you are in southern WA that's true. You only get Australian Ravens... if you are in norther WA you get Little Ravens and Torresian Crows...

    Generally the name 'Raven' is used to describe a larger species while 'Crow' for the smaller ones . In Australia the size difference is only a few cm with considerable overlap. So it's pretty much useless in the field. Call, range (and to a lesser extent behaviour) are the best way to tell them apart as they all look more or less the same:
    Australian Raven, Little Raven, Torresian Crow

    You can find their calls with a quick google search if interested further :).
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-02-19 at 10:37 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Keeping it Simple in the Playground Administrator
     
    Rawhide's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    A little short notice, so I don't expect many responses. Plus, you know, it's a Monday. Anyone want a game of Killing Floor tonight? No recording, mics optional, normal difficulty.

    "My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Thurbane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Terra Australis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    You think Sydney trains are better than Melbourne? I've found them to be far more confusing, on par punctuality-wise, and many, many times more expensive. Plus since you buy a direct ticket instead of a zone ticket, if you don't take particular route - sometimes a particularly awkward one - the ticket won't go through the machine at the end and you get an awkward conversation with the guard. I'd much rather pay three bucks and get wherever I want however I want.
    I was in Sydney for the BDO last year (I'm a native Melbournian), and I found the PT system a bit lacking as well. Unless I was missing something, you basically needed to buy a ticket for each leg of your journey - one night, I had to buy a train ticket, bus ticket and ferry ticket separately...

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    You can find their calls with a quick google search if interested further :).
    Not really I must confess. I'm just satisfied with knowing that there aren't many around where we live so I don't having to listen to their stupid cawing at every hour of the day. The last place we lived had heaps and they were the most annoying dawn chorus I've ever heard in my life.


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DarkLightDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    They've never really bothered me. I think the singing of magpies is much nicer, though.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

    Avatar-Wayril!
    4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

    Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    I'm pretty sure magpies are songbirds, so that would make sense

    And there are no crows (or ravens or whatever they are ) in New Zealand (which is where I'm from), so I'm really not used to the horrible noise they make. Plus being woken up every morning at 5am because of their crowing really got on my nerves after a while...


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DarkLightDragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    I can understand that. Maybe they don't bother me because I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. It unfortately takes me forever and a day to actually get to the 'being asleep' stage, though.
    Click to view my dragons and help them grow!
    Please help my Pokemon!

    Avatar-Wayril!
    4TH DEGREE!
    Winner of the 1st, 7th and 8th rounds of original Ready, Aim, Fire!

    Pokemon X Info:
    3DS Code: 3110-5232-7003
    Character Name: Gwendolyn
    Pokemon for trade: Here

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    I'm pretty sure magpies are songbirds, so that would make sense

    And there are no crows (or ravens or whatever they are ) in New Zealand (which is where I'm from), so I'm really not used to the horrible noise they make. Plus being woken up every morning at 5am because of their crowing really got on my nerves after a while...
    Crows and Ravens are songbirds (perching birds) too.

    And smart Europeans thought it was a brilliant idea to introduce Rooks to New Zealand... Though I am under the impression that they are being culled atm.

    The only bird call that I do not like are the shrieks of the Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and only during early in the morning. Otherwise I really don't mind any bird calls.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    I personally find it annoying when the rainbow lorikeets gather in our neighbour's tree when it flowers. They can certainly make a racket.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    _Zoot_'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I've been a birdwatcher since the day I was born. It's just the way I am wired. When I was a kid people would always say that I would grow out of it. They were wrong. I am doing my Ph D on the now! (speaking of my Ph D I REALLY should finish that research proposal...).

    As to learning to identify birds, everyone was at your level at the beginning. Just pick up an identification guide and start with the ones in your backyard. I am sure you can tell a Magpie from a Pigeon and a Cockatoo from a Rosella. But did you know that Australia has 24 species of pigeon and doves (Some are quite spectacular) and that in all likelihood you have two species of rosella visiting your yard?

    The fantastic thing about birdwatching is that you can practice it anywhere above ground anywhere in the world. You really only need a field guide (a camera and binos and scope help a lot, but you don't need them to watch birds).

    It's also a fantastic mental practice that has made me very perspective and you never know what you will see (e.g. my Godwit :))

    Ok I will stop now

    R.P.
    Can I just say how awesome that is? It really isn't that many people that can say that they have followed their dream from an early age through to an opportunity like that.

    Anyway, my own Bird knowledge (while a little more advanced than most of my peers) comes to "Ohhh, look at the pretty bird!" when faced with birds that don't live in my area...
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Rising Phoenix's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    Can I just say how awesome that is? It really isn't that many people that can say that they have followed their dream from an early age through to an opportunity like that.

    Anyway, my own Bird knowledge (while a little more advanced than most of my peers) comes to "Ohhh, look at the pretty bird!" when faced with birds that don't live in my area...
    Thanks. It doesn't look that awesome now that I am writting my research proposal though

    XD
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

    My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show


    My characters

    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Crows and Ravens are songbirds (perching birds) too.
    Seriously? But they make such a horrible racket...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    And smart Europeans thought it was a brilliant idea to introduce Rooks to New Zealand... Though I am under the impression that they are being culled atm.
    Don't know anything about that, though it wouldn't surprise me. Europeans thought it was a good idea to introduce a lot of things to New Zealand... but yeah, if they're there, they'll be being culled.


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Moonshadow's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Labyrinth

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Seriously? But they make such a horrible racket...



    Don't know anything about that, though it wouldn't surprise me. Europeans thought it was a good idea to introduce a lot of things to New Zealand... but yeah, if they're there, they'll be being culled.
    And yet... no one wants your wetas :P
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

    AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Seriously? But they make such a horrible racket...
    Yes, crows are songbirds, I was shocked when I found out too.
    Anyway, it makes sense that some songbirds sing badly. I mean, not everyone who sings is actually a good singer.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-02-21 at 11:41 PM.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    And yet... no one wants your wetas :P
    Yes, but wetas are indigenous, so they're actually helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Yes, crows are songbirds, I was shocked when I found out too.
    Anyway, it makes sense that some songbirds sing badly. I mean, not everyone who sings is actually a good singer.
    Not really... I mean, one would assume that the songbird name came about because the birds within the category all had a song-like quality to their calls. Otherwise they'd be songbirds-and-others


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    I blame the people who began classifying animals.
    They obviously started by noticing that all the birds we commonly think of as songbirds were alike, so grouped them into one category; Songbirds.
    However, when it came time to place crows, etc., they were too lazy to fix their mistake, and now we're stuck with it.

    As an aside:
    How could you Benjamin Franklin?! Now the diagrams don't make sense!
    Ignore that, I was just being crazy.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-02-22 at 05:23 AM.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Serpentine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Adrift in a sea of woe.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

    My mum and her husband were doing a bunch of birdwatching around their place. They were listing every single species of bird they saw, but within a specifically defined range - I think on the beach from the headland to part-way down the beach, in the sand dunes, and a specific distance inland. Last I heard they were up to something like 120-150 species before they ran out.
    I'm thinking I should get a bird book for the UK... And maybe animals - I saw deer today

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •