New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

tough. she already gets a charm for getting more arrows. if she wants to always have more on hand, make her carry a plant around or just say she always has a reasonable amount of arrows because the ST says so. the amount of arrows isn't important to the story, so just assume she will always have a reasonable amount on hand.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by KaganMonk View Post
    Think of it as plot proofing your main form of attack. The guards took your quiver away at the gate? Joke's on them!
    Yeah, that's how I think of those charms - ways of making sure that regardless of your circumstances, you have your proper appropiate firepower available.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Isn't Archery already one of the better combat paths you can go in Exalted?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that the ammunition charms are indeed a combination of
    A) Exalts can fire a lot of arrows.
    B) Plot-proofing: Nobody can say you don't have arrows. Ever.
    C) Cool alternative summoned arrows.

(But there is indeed a healthy amount of D - they make darn good speedbump charms and Archery doesn't need a buff...)

If you want a quiver that makes arrows, may I recommend a bow which makes them, instead, and/or having the arrows possess a distinctive feature or two?
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2011-11-30 at 05:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

tough. if she really wants more arrows on hand, make her carry a potted plant around!

In other news…

One/Two new Lunar artifacts!

Handheld Moonsilver Toolbox
    Artifact 2
    Attunement: 5
    This handheld rod of moonsilver can replicate any mundane tool that can be held in one hand by spending one mote. It can even replicate a mundane knife, but no other weapon other than that.

Two-Handed Moonsilver Toolbox
    Artifact 3
    Attunement: 8
    As Handheld Moonsilver Toolbox, but it can replicate any mundane tool held in two hands for two motes, as well as any mundane weapon. It can even be used to replicate rope and ropes with grappling hooks.

Also a new crafting idea:

Blessings! Stuff gods can craft! they are like normal artifacts, but they are intangible and attach themselves to the person or thing with the Blessing! allows more flexibility of powers and such! also expands the world of Exalted a little, while still remaining consistent with it! after all, only the mightiest of gods like the Incarnae could do N/A Blessings.

also, Blessings are a way to explain in mutations without using the Wyld.
    "how did you get those wings?"
    "A god blessed me with them cause I helped him out."
    "Cool."

that and there could be plot hooks for Blessings! like maybe the Immaculate Order hates the gods giving Mortals Blessings or something and comes to stomp them out.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Aren't there already Spirit Charms for that?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

yes, but artifact Blessings are more customized and unique.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

You could have an infinite quiver come with each powerbow.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

9. - Top - End - #129

How many arrows can they fire in one minute?
    Absent Extra Action Charms? Thirty. On the other hand, though fights have taken upwards of four hours IRL to resolve, they've never taken more than forty seconds in-game, absent Mass Combat (which I intend to avoid).

I prefer the more economical route, though, of firing one arrow and hitting a bunch of people with it. Arrow Storm Technique is awesome like that.

Sure they could headshot everyone in an army, but should they really have that many arrows available in an instant?
    Again, I love Arrow Storm Technique. Rain of Feathered Death is also fun that way.

The one I know best is the Solar charm, which lets you create any of the 3 types of arrows instantly, and the upgrade adds a bonus.
    Fair enough - for comparison, the ones created by the Terrestrial Charm are actual arrows, made by imbuing your Essence into a plant, which then grows said arrows into existence.

Think of it as plot proofing your main form of attack. The guards took your quiver away at the gate? Joke's on them!
    I still prefer Generalized Ammunition Technique. Yank the drawstring from someone's jacket, and murder someone with it.

Plus, I would think that Summoning the Loyal Bow would work for the accessories of the weapon - after all, keeping your sword in Elsewhere but still having the sheath belted would look a little suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    tough.
    tough.
    So nice you had to say it twice, huh?

if she wants to always have more on hand, make her carry a plant around or just say she always has a reasonable amount of arrows because the ST says so.
    That's what I was going to do in the first place.

the amount of arrows isn't important to the story, so just assume she will always have a reasonable amount on hand.
    Again, it's what I was intending already...

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Yeah, that's how I think of those charms - ways of making sure that regardless of your circumstances, you have your proper appropiate firepower available.
    Fair enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Isn't Archery already one of the better combat paths you can go in Exalted?
    For Solars? Yes. Not experienced enough with Dragon-Blooded to know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    Plot-proofing: Nobody can say you don't have arrows. Ever.
    Eh, I really wasn't intending to take them away in the first place.

Cool alternative summoned arrows.
    Aside from the fact that you can have pulled them from a field of grass, there's not much that's impressive about the Dragon-Blooded's summoned arrows.

But there is indeed a healthy amount of D - they make darn good speedbump charms and Archery doesn't need a buff...
    I'm not that fond of speedbumps in the first place.

If you want a quiver that makes arrows, may I recommend a bow which makes them, instead, and/or having the arrows possess a distinctive feature or two?
    Go on...

Also a new crafting idea:

Blessings!
    Gods can already bless people. They have, like, a million ways of doing it.

Have you made a Devil-Tiger yet? I suggest you do so, with reinventing the wheel being one of the themes in its Excellency.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-11-30 at 06:24 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

I think I ninja'd you while you were writing your long post. Just want to make sure my suggestion isn't missed.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

………aaaaaaaw.

oh well. at least I made Handheld Moonsilver Toolbox.

I'm just…..gonna go ignore the duration part of the blessing thing for character creation and do whatever I want with blessings that already exist and such….

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I think I ninja'd you while you were writing your long post.
    You did, in fact.

I guess I'll talk to her again about it.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

I think you should ask her about why she wants the infinite ammo quiver.

Also, with regards to the familiar, you could use something along the lines of the proposed 'legendary familiar' rules. Make it a god-blooded, with inheritance equal to it's background rating.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

So, a question came up with my GF the other day. Does checking off your incapacitated lethal health level while By Agony Empowered is active and not healing it start you dying when the scene ends? I don't think it does...
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Er... I LIKE the craftable Artifact 'Blessings' idea.
    I've already been considering trying out some immaterial artifacts with my Defiler, and were I to ever read the Abyssal books I would very much like to stitch together my very own ghosts (Zombies and necrotech war machines are just too crude!)

Now, crafting 'blessings' for mortals, I don't see that being needed. But crafting immaterial or semimaterial things - let's have as an example a floating servitor made of light, or fire - does interest me.

The original idea was artifacts that were little more than wisps of structured motes, which behave similarly to Touhou familiars (They're hugely expendable little balls of light that fire bullets.)
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

My idea for Blessings is simply a thing that closely RESEMBLES an Exaltation, but isn't, the idea being that the normal Celestial Exaltation is probably an N/A level Blessing or something.

which basically means it exists in an immaterial state and is grafted onto the soul.

as for Abyssals….eh Necrotech is all they have in that book aside from Abyssal charms. the main stuff for manipulating ghosts is Necromancy and Roll of Divinity 2.

that and it wouldn't just be for mortals….I imagine Exalts would want some Blessings to, to get powers they normally can't do. that and semi-material stuff like a sword made out of some gods purview like light or hope does sound like something possible within Exalted.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

Light and Hope sound like marvelous ingredients for an Artifact. Hope you could get a Raksha to solidify for you, I think. And I can almost imagine a Sidereal turning Light into an arrow with their charm.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Light and Hope sound like marvelous ingredients for an Artifact. Hope you could get a Raksha to solidify for you, I think. And I can almost imagine a Sidereal turning Light into an arrow with their charm.
    Wyld-Shaping can turn them into solid things as well.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

also I think Blessings would be a background available to certain types of Exalts:

Solars and Lunars would probably be normal. As well all "outcast" characters like Ronin, Casteless and Outcastes.

Dragon-Blooded Dynasts and Lookshyans would probably not have this at all. Immaculate Order and all that.

Sidereals and Abyssals would probably get more since they are surrounded by spirits.

Infernals eeeerrrrh….they are also surrounded by spirits but the spirits aren't really nice, either more or normal.

Alchemicals……no…..not with the way Autocthonia is set up, the spirits there are very material, and Blessings are immaterial so…no craftable Blessings for Alchemicals.

Raksha probably get this background as normal, since they can probably make immaterial stuff in the Wyld.

Heroic Mortals could probably get this background, but it would cost more since the mortal would have to go through more to get a god to make something for them.

Dragon Kings and Jadeborn are probably normal as well, since they each have a relationship of dealing with spirits in some manner

edit: the only problem is that Blessings, since they are grafted to the soul, are already attuned to you, so the cost of having a Blessing might mean higher mote payments or other different costs to activate their effects.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-11-30 at 10:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Dragon-Blooded Dynasts and Lookshyans would probably not have this at all. Immaculate Order and all that.
    The people of Lookshy don't quite go with the Realm's version of the Immaculate Order.

Raksha probably get this background as normal, since they can probably make immaterial stuff in the Wyld.
    We've seen the kind of blessings meschlum can cook up - they really don't need more.

(And no, "but those are material" doesn't fly - he will make immaterial blessings if he wants them. )

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Spirits in Autochthonia can be just as immaterial as ones in Creation. It's just that Autochthonia exists both in the material and immaterial, for the most part. Thus, being immaterial isn't as huge an advantage for them.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post

...also interesting. Tell me, how is it that you plan to mechanically forbid Solars and Lunars from manipulating basic thaumaturgy...like geomancy?
    That's a good question, actually. I like mortals being able to build manses, but I'd have Dragon-Blooded have the unique abilty to create new demenses and change the power and aspect of existing ones. This would only work with elemental demenses. Granted that's not exactly what was in the description, I'll revise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    It would be simple enough to remove these charms from the Solar tree. Perhaps not elegant, but simple.
    Right, I'm pulling stuff out of the Solar charmset to make the other splats interesting. Wyld-shaping going to Lunars is not actually my idea, I saw it suggested on the White Wolf forum. It's true that this will leave Lore a bit skimpy, but those charms were an awkward fit for Lore anyway.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Fractional Cosmic Repetition
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Cytherea 0, Essence 6; Type: Simple
    Keywords: Combo-OK, Blasphemy
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: Big Bang Attack, Mass Singularity Defense

There are certain rules that the universe imposes that even its creators cannot cast aside. One can halt the flow of time, alter its current, but never travel backward through what has already transpired. Cytherea is an immortal being, however, ancient before even the eldest Primordials can recall. In her old age, she begins to see patterns, and it is not as if she does not have the time to wait.

By activating this charm, the Infernal leaves. He just goes. He goes to sit and wait. In the trillions of exaseconds that pass, the entire cosmology of the Exalted Universe collapses and reforms an arbitrarily large number of times. When a universe forms that is identical to the one that he left, the Infernal slips back into place, like a missing puzzle piece fitting into its perfect slot. However, the Essence of the Divine Ignition spent to fuel this charm allows some wiggle room - the Infernal may take his place 1 tick before he used this charm in the prior universe he existed in.

There are some side effects. Essence, Health Levels, Willpower, and so on, are properties of the Exalted universe, and while waiting outside of it, the Infernal cannot spend nor regenerate these resources. Additionally, the Infernal's perception of time will continue to extend as they get older during their waiting period (much as how a year is perceptually longer when you're 10 years of age than when you're 50 years of age). When they return, they may experience some minor dilation to the tune of hundreds of millennia passing in what they perceive as seconds.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Spirits in Autochthonia can be just as immaterial as ones in Creation. It's just that Autochthonia exists both in the material and immaterial, for the most part. Thus, being immaterial isn't as huge an advantage for them.
    darn! hrmmm….but still I think Alchemicals should be techno and artifact and not Blessing methinks.

also, now I'm confused of how to deal with Blessings in places like the Underworld, Malfeas and Autocthonia….hrrmmm….

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    The people of Lookshy don't quite go with the Realm's version of the Immaculate Order.

We've seen the kind of blessings meschlum can cook up - they really don't need more.

(And no, "but those are material" doesn't fly - he will make immaterial blessings if he wants them. )
    1……eh, looks like I'll have to pick up Compass: Scavenger Lands rather than South next time I get an Exalted book.

2. good point. no Blessings for Raksha.

@ Xefas: Watched that episode of Futurama have we?

@V Sanguine: Authors!? Writers!? Best. Explanation. Ever. Now I definitely want to play a Solar, since now I actually have a way of expressing my love for writing and novels in game.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-11-30 at 11:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    It's true that this will leave Lore a bit skimpy, but those charms were an awkward fit for Lore anyway.
    I actually saw an interesting justification for Wyld-Shaping being a Lore Charm. It was tied into the doing human things only turned up to 11 aspect of Solars. Authors* create entire new world and people and any number of other things in their imaginations. There are similarities between the imagination fueled realms of mortal dreams and the Wyld. As evidenced by Quicksilver Hands of Dreams and a few Fair Folk Charms. Now with that similarity in mind Wyld-Shaping is only different from what an author does in that it's creations are able to interact with "reality".

I hope that was coherent; it's just about midnight here and I really need to get to sleep.

*Which the justification pointed out was more a Linguistics thing. But Lore works to a lesser extent.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 2011-11-30 at 11:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Here's Solars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Solar Exalted can excel in every field of human endeavour, becoming undefeatable in almost any activity they choose to specialise in. The exceptions are impersonating specific people, communicating with other Exalts, and manipulating and enhancing mortals. Other Exalts can match Solar abilities in these areas. Solars are capable of granting mortals the ability to channel essence, but cannot share motes with them.
    Lawgivers have the most powerful attacks and most efficient defences of all Exalts. Their abilities extend beyond extraordinary talent into the supernatural, but always have some connection to skills of mortals. A mortal swordsman may draw his weapon so fast it seems to appear from nowhere – a Solar can simply retrieve a sword from Elsewhere. But no mortal can fly, so neither can a Solar. Lawgivers can extend their powers beyond these limits by using Sorcery, the Adamant Circle of which is exclusive to them, or the first two Circles of Necromancy. The Obsidian Circle of Necromancy is restricted to Deathlords.
    Solars can easily conceal themselves but have difficulty concealing the mark of the Unconquered Sun. In extreme cases fortresses may appear to be infiltrated by disembodied, glowing caste marks.
    Lawgivers can easily become immune to the dangers of the Wyld, the Underworld, and Malfeas, and can prevent areas of Creation from being absorbed by any of these planes of existence. However, they are incapable of extending Creation into the Wyld, shrinking shadowlands by other than mundane effort, or expelling intrusions of the Yozis into Creation.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by gareth View Post
    Their abilities extend beyond extraordinary talent into the supernatural, but always have some connection to skills of mortals. A mortal swordsman may draw his weapon so fast it seems to appear from nowhere – a Solar can simply retrieve a sword from Elsewhere. But no mortal can fly, so neither can a Solar.
    Mutation: wings. Various power armors. Sorcery. Fair Folk artifacts.

Seriously, though, I guess I just find it odd that banishing and retrieving a weapon from Elsewhere gets a pass by this rubric, but flying as per Eagle Wing Style doesn't.

Anyway, a little more development on my Lookshy game...
    Spoiler
    Show
    I spoke with the "magic quiver" player, and explained to her how I have no intention of screwing her over by forcing her out of her element and declaring her to be out of arrows. Still haven't had the chance to talk about the Familiar issue, but I'll see about it soon enough. She in turn has decided that despite being a Wood Aspect, her character was born into Gens Karal.

She also gave the Medicine Charms a look, and decided she might take a few of them.

The martial artist PC, on the other hand, belongs to Gens Teresu, and a member of the navy of Lookshy - however, his biggest affinity is for the martial arts, hence his desire to learn Water Dragon Style.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-12-01 at 01:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Mutation: wings. Various power armors. Sorcery. Fair Folk artifacts.
    That one athletics charm: eagle wing style (on looking it up).

And pretty much everything you said about other realms of existence is wrong, gareth. Solars can create creation out of the wyld, extending its borders (the order conferring trade pattern in the first age is an example of how they stabilized it), they have magic to shrink shadowlands (whether through sorcery or I can't remember if they have a charm for it, I want to say they do but I can't remember it), and they can most definitely deal with yozi intrusions: it's what they were built for, and the original primordials were a quite a few notches up. They can call on surrender oaths, or failing that just beat the everliving (literally) crud out of them.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    That one athletics charm: eagle wing style (on looking it up).
    I was referring to options mortals for flying, since he said mortals can't fly.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

I was referring to options mortals for flying, since he said mortals can't fly.
    Yeah, but your version was all altered mortals and basically outside items flying and taking the mortal along for the ride (sorcery excepted). My point was pointing out how *incredibly* wrong it was to imply solars can't fly under their own power.
    Spoiler
    Show