New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,478 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    Yes, it is a valid option. But, hey, not in direct combat. As neph wrote:
    Well, that depends on your definition of direct combat. Your definition seems to only include white room battles, in which case yes, he is invincible. But the thing about white-room battles is that they don't actually happen in 'real' circumstances. His virtues are deliberately set up so that one can force him to suppress them, making him no longer invulnerable.

Additionally, having any character be insurmountable in any endeavor is, well, it's bad design, given Exalted's themes. It can be appropriate in other games(though it often get quite a bit of flak even there, from what I've seen), but Exalted is all about how, given effort, you can surpass anyone in any endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    It is what I am refering to. Essence 10 Solar don't steamroll everything. This is they haven't steamroll everything before Holden proclaimed them most powerful of all beings.

I just don't agree with it. Because while the Exalted are the main characters, this does not mean that they are invincible, that they deserve to have everything, that they deserve to have anything handed to them on a platter.
    Umm... you might want to look at canon again: Solars have been the most powerful for a long, long time. Heck, I've seen some long rants by posters from 1st edition on how the current Unconquered Sun is too powerful, and doesn't match his original vision.

And the idea that they've been able to dwarf and surpass their creator? That's been canon from the very beginning.

Plus, your argument is based on extremely false pretenses. Solars can surpass the Unconquered Sun, yes. This doesn't mean it's easy, nor something handed to them on a platter, nor that they are invincible(though it's interesting to me that you want a NPC to be that way). Solars can also defeat Primordials: this doesn't make such victories certain or easy by any means. And yet, one of their core descriptions is part of the force that did defeat the Primordials.

I do like the way you imply that reaching Essence 10, something extremely few Exalts ever do, and something that probably less than a hundred beings have ever done in setting, is somehow easy, and a Solar's due.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread VIII: Ten Thousand Playgrounders Post As One!

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    Well, yeah. I mean, if I had a band, I might do a growl album with nothing but children's songs just for fun. The key is the structure of the word; it doesn't have to make sense to have certain associations. For example, "cellar door" is oft lauded as the most beautiful phrase in the English language. Does it have anything to do with beauty? Not at all. Likewise for Chernozem. Except instead of just being nonsense, it sounds really poser-ish.
    Okay, being a Slav (actually Polish, and Chernozem is taken straight out from Polish, in which it basically is the name for the best type of soil that is) I can tell you with all honesty that it does not sound poser-ish at all, and actually has a decent ring to it.
    (02:10:41) Emily Lorn: that's beyond angsty
    (02:10:45) Emily Lorn: that's /depressing/
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---
    Pink haired Sister of Battle avatar by Akrim.elf

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Recruitment thread for Creation Ruling Mandate game here.

Even if you don't have Masters of Jade, you're welcome to come!
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #1474

Quote Originally Posted by Gargulec View Post
    Okay, being a Slav (actually Polish, and Chernozem is taken straight out from Polish, in which it basically is the name for the best type of soil that is) I can tell you with all honesty that it does not sound poser-ish at all, and actually has a decent ring to it.
    That's because you're used to it. To the standard English-speaking audience who only have experience with Germanic- and Russo-styled languages through metal (often of the darker variety), it sounds sinister. While it would be fine for an off-term like how Sol is occasionally referred to as Ignis Divine, the developers seem to be pressing for Chernozem for the main name rather than Liminal, not to mention that it doesn't really fit with the other epithets.

Compare:
    Solar::Lawgiver/Prince
    Lunar::Steward
    Sidereal::Vizier
    Terrestrial::Dragonblood
    Abyssal::Deathknight
    Infernal::Prince
    Alchemical::Champion
    Liminal::Chernozem

What is this, I don't even. It reminds me of all the bad things detractors have said about Infernals. There's a definitive difference in breaking the mold and lighting the mold on fire.

Also, who's making the new thread?

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gargulec View Post
    Not really, in Polish it would be written as Czarnoziem, and I'll here is spelling.
    http://translate.google.com/?sl=pl&t...|en|czarnoziem
    On my translator it spat out Mold as one of the possible translations.

In direct "word to the word of the same meaning" translation, a Black Earth.

Chernozem is from different slavic language, unless it was simply poor translation from one of the modern ones. Or "translation" meant to be pronounceable by native English-speakers.

EDIT: Where is new thread ? Pretty please ?
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2012-02-11 at 02:31 AM.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

6. - Top - End - #1476

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    That's because you're used to it. To the standard English-speaking audience who only have experience with Germanic- and Russo-styled languages through metal (often of the darker variety), it sounds sinister. While it would be fine for an off-term like how Sol is occasionally referred to as Ignis Divine, the developers seem to be pressing for Chernozem for the main name rather than Liminal, not to mention that it doesn't really fit with the other epithets.

Compare:
    Solar::Lawgiver/Prince
    Lunar::Steward
    Sidereal::Vizier
    Terrestrial::Dragonblood
    Abyssal::Deathknight
    Infernal::Prince
    Alchemical::Champion
    Liminal::Chernozem

What is this, I don't even. It reminds me of all the bad things detractors have said about Infernals. There's a definitive difference in breaking the mold and lighting the mold on fire.

Also, who's making the new thread?
    Mr Gensh, you're the only person I recall feeling like that about the term "Chernozem". Are you sure it isn't localized among you and your inner circles?

7. - Top - End - #1477

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post
    Not really, in Polish it would be written as Czarnoziem, and I'll here is spelling.
    http://translate.google.com/?sl=pl&t...|en|czarnoziem
    On my translator it spat out Mold as one of the possible translations.

In direct "word to the word of the same meaning" translation, a Black Earth.

Chernozem is from different slavic language, unless it was simply poor translation from one of the modern ones. Or "translation" meant to be pronounceable by native English-speakers.

EDIT: Where is new thread ? Pretty please ?
    Of course it would be written "czarnoziem" in Polish, but it is transcribed as "chernozem" to preserve its sound in English (also due to to Polish/other Slavic languages -> English translation conventions). In the same way, Chernobyl is written "Czernobyl" in Polish and Chernobog is actually "Czernobóg".

"Cherno" comes from "czarny" (I am not saying that it orginated in PL, but Slavic languages are actually quite similar to each other: I could talk with a guy from Slovakia without knowing Slovak and understand most of what he is saying) which means, literally "black". "Zem" is from "ziemia" ie. "soil". Chernozem literally means "black soil". Because the soil that it describes happens to be richly black. Duh.

(Same goes for Chernobog which "Black God" literally).
    Last edited by Gargulec; 2012-02-11 at 06:58 AM.
    (02:10:41) Emily Lorn: that's beyond angsty
    (02:10:45) Emily Lorn: that's /depressing/
    (02:10:55) Emily Lorn: you're fired as my angst consultant for being overqualified
    ---
    Pink haired Sister of Battle avatar by Akrim.elf

8. - Top - End - #1478

New thread. PM me if anything in the first post is wrong :D