New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Bad DM's. Bad games. Bad groups.

Hi all!

There's always 'praise your DM' threads at most sites, so now here's one for not praising!

Post your horror stories about DM's, games and groups!

I've been in, I think, four groups. My latest is one I'm technically still in, but have been 'kicked out of,' for the duration of the current campaign.

This group is usually good. One player always charges in and somehow manages to avoid death (usually scoring far too much bonus XP for roleplaying and such). Another plays combat beasts, and intentionally gets his non-combat-PC's killed so he can play something else. Another refuses to help out when his PC can get killed, stating arguments like 'I can't get there,' or 'my PC wouldn't get himself killed.' And another whinges when things don't go his way.

But it's a good group, all in all. Lots of fun.

It's the DM I hate.

He's a homebrew champion. He never runs games in Faerun, but in his own worlds, with his own rules. He hates casters with a passion, so outlaws them (unless you're his brother-in-law). He rules things in favour of realism, instead of the actual rules. Usually a good idea, but not always apt.

In all our games, we've reached no higher than level 5. This is because he feels that 'levels above 5 are just silly.' We've never seen a magical item, and usually pay more than triple the price (with half the gold gathered than normal) for most magic or masterwork items.

I need a new group! But it's hard, living in South Australia.
    Man was made at the end of the week, and God was pretty tired. Imperfections, flaws, weaknesses - this is the price we pay for being the last off of the assembly line.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Bad DM's. Bad games. Bad groups.

Move up to the Sunny Coast, mate.

Our group has been losing members lately, so some fresh blood would be good.

But seriously, have you tried talking to him about it?

Or maybe even change dm for a campaign? That's what our group does and it works quite well.
    "You would not want to be staring that way at me." -Al Swearengen

"Crush your enemy, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

Let's harvest some kidneys!!

I'm not a magic fan but...:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Banjo
    Move up to the Sunny Coast, mate.

Our group has been losing members lately, so some fresh blood would be good.

But seriously, have you tried talking to him about it?

Or maybe even change dm for a campaign? That's what our group does and it works quite well.
    Well, I'm not exactly going to move just for a D&D game. ;)

But we've tried talking about it. He feels that he's justified, and generally tells people to deal.

As it is, he kicked me out of the current campaign in favour for someone that he dislikes DMing for!
    Man was made at the end of the week, and God was pretty tired. Imperfections, flaws, weaknesses - this is the price we pay for being the last off of the assembly line.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Senshi Esquire
    But we've tried talking about it. He feels that he's justified, and generally tells people to deal.
    Then his game is never going to change, so you'll just have to accept that fact. Instead, you get to learn to GM-- and offer a new game, on a night other than the one he runs on. That's the solution I chose when I got fed up with a GM who was cheating us. Feel free to invite him or not as a player, as long as it's clear that you're the GM of your game and your decisions are the ones that are final here. :)

You may find it's a ton of fun running, and that the rest of the group will take turns so you can play again. You may find you need to find new players to help bulk out the group-- but I find it better to have too few than too many. Too few can always be bulked out with hirelings and redshirts. Too many makes it hard to rp, and hard to coordinate a schedule.

Good luck with your choice! :)
    "But Mr. Davidson, even your own faith teaches that the world must end someday."
    "Yes, well, that's the point. Someday. Not Tuesday!" --Roy "Cappy" Davidson, Thrillseekers, (D20 Past)

5. - Top - End - #5

So just as an addition to what Gordon said. If you haven't DMed before it may take a little bit of the mystique out of the playing as a PC, because now you know what the "rules" are. Though I've not had that problem, but one or two of my friends have had it. And as I am sure you know, DMing is a lot of fun, but also alot more work. And I have one small suggestion, something that my DM did, and that I do, if you have your characters roll for stats require that one be under 10. At least for me it made me feel like my character wasn't incredible at everything. Kinda forcing a little weakness in the characters. Good Luck!

Back on the real topic of this thread:
    I haven't been in too many groups but in the last group I played in there was one player that did get on my nerves a bit. Actually a good player for the most part, but I think I had problems with the kind of characters he would come up with. I guess it was he wanted to be the overpowered character, he wanted to be the drow ranger, or the half celestial, or some specialized spear fighter that gets all sorts of mad bonuses for no real reason.
    gNorm's Last Words: *click* "damn..." *BOOM!*
    Just when you think your flamethrower is foolproof you have to do something stupid like try to use it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'd just leave if you are not having fun.

Sounds like the worst kind of game to me..

Find an online roleplaying group.

or.. get ahold of Neverwinter Nights and expansions and play on an online persistent world.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Encourage your DM to use a system geared for his particular play-style instead.

Warhammer Fantasy RolePlayingGame was recently released in a new edition, and it sounds as it should suit your DM like hand in glove. (At least WFRPG was just like that in the first edition, I have only skimmed the second and there is a risk that casters migyht actually be playable now, but they can always be forbidden away without much ado)

Or try to move to Shadowrun/Cyberpunk, Kult or d20 modern. (I haven't played d20 modern, but I added it as a suggestion should your DM complain that he doesn't want to have to learn a lot of new rules - but from what I gather d20 modern has considerably less magic ;))

Or go for something outlandish - there are still fanbois printing Space 1889 and Twilight 2000 as far as I know :P
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

Hmmz, most of my DM's read here...

I had one once, that kept describing all area's inside whatever as "little rooms" and ALL creatures as "little creatures"

"you enter another little room, and you see a little creature"

"well, I step on it!"

"the little creature is 10 feet tall, has red, glowing eyes, horns, and isn't pleased you stepped on him..."

Like I wouldn't notice the horns, the eyes and especially the fact that it's 10 feet tall in the first place. As if I can get my halfling foot all the way up to its head!...
    War does not determine who is right.
    It only determines who is left.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Meh, I've only had one DM. Let's just say that it wasn't smooth sailing.

I suppose there's something to be said for the fact that it was 2nd Ed., which is a lot more complicated than necessary, but he didn't teach us very well.

Then, of course, when he made a mistake, he killed all our characters off, made us make new ones, and started over. Like it's our fault he let a Wood Elf have a Katana. :|

OH YEAH. Then there was this one time he wasn't quite done making an important NPC, so he stuck me in jail while he did it. Not so bad, right? Under threat of bodily harm to my character, I had to escape. There's a door with a bunch of locks on it. Okay, fine. I acquired the keys (think I killed a guard for them), and set about trying to open the door.

There were far more keys than there were locks, and they were identical and unlabeled. Put the key in the lock, FWOOSH, flame trap. Great.

So I'm barely conscious, lying on the floor for a few days (nobody really knew I was there, I guess), and try it again. I eventually find the right keys (after EXPLODING a few more times), and get about halfway, then screw up. Not only do I explode again, but the lock resets.

All while he's here picking skills for this chick I was supposed to meet, only looking up to say, "Wrong one. Roll a d6 for damage."

Did I mention I was level 1?

Oh well. Now I'm out on my own, learning 3.5Ed. by myself... and setting out to be a better DM than he ever was. ^^

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

The worst DM/game experience I ever had was actually one that never happened.

It was supposed to be an enlightening experience where we were going to learn AD&D instead of playing 3.5 and the DM that was supposed to run it always seemed to have something going on that kept him from writing anything...3 months later I gave up on him and left the group...shortly followed by the other members who were waiting for someone to make the first move.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had a GM I played some games with for a while, but had to drop. One of the other players was his ex-girlfriend. Ok, a little wierd I thought.

Then I found out he's living with her. Weirder.

Then we play, and it all becomes clear. He is absolutely desparate to get her back, and she seemed to enjoy leading him around by his privates. So if any other player did something that she didn't like, she'd whisper in his ear after the game, and next week he'd come back and announce some kind of change to make it better for her, and to screw us.

So my spouse and I thanked him, told him the game wasn't right for us, and we'd be looking for a new one. He seemed genuinely upset and surprised. Go figure.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Ohboy. I get to post one story, and maybe I'll post some more later, since I have had...my fair share.

Actually, this first story didn't happen to me, but I got to hear all about it. Anyway. At our school there is a society of RPG players. There's about 60 people in the society, and the executives encourage the various members to play with different people, so that you get exposed to all sorts of different types of roleplayers and DMs. We also, since we're in a university environment, encourage that you play responsibly. That is, no more than twice a week, so that you have time for things like homework and projects.

Now, at the beginning of the year (September, 2003), one of the players who was obsessed with AD&D cornered a group of our beloved "n00bs", as we affectionately call the frosh who join the society. Normally, one of the executives runs a couple "orientation sessions", during which new players get a chance to become familiar with D&D and the d20 system, as well as to get familiar with role-playing. It's a bit of a task, considering there's anywhere from 5-15 n00bs per year, and you have to run this with all of them. But the AD&D DM (as I'll call him) secluded his small group of players from the rest of the group.

The result, after the first term, was that these six people had played with noone but themselves, despite the fact that their games ended periodically. They ended up playing around four nights a week. Sure, this sounds not so bad. Well, here's the player breakdown:

Player 1: Male, the DM considered his character idea inferior, and went out of his way to try and kill the character so many times as to reduce his constitution to 0 from the resurrections. Total deaths: 25.

Player 2: Female, the DM's girlfriend. Never died. Got everything she ever wanted.

Player 3: Female, the girl the DM wanted (and, to this day, is still trying to get into the pants of). Got pretty much everything she ever wanted. Someone always married her characters.

Player 4: Male. No matter what they were playing, this guy always played the odd man out. If all the party was evil, he was a paladin. If all the party was good, he was an assassin.

Player 5: Male. No matter what, he was the comic relief. His characters were usually (and still usually) geared for role-playing. Since 99% of the adventures were hack-and-slash, he was always made fun of.

By October, the DM had publically annouced his intention to kill Player 1's character until he could be killed no more. In December, the group's campaign ended with an epic battle of good vs. evil. The premise: the gods were destroyed by their infighting, and now the mightiest of the two sides have to decide the victor in a massive battle. Oh, by now the DM had converted to D&D 3.5.

Wow, what a SNAFU. Alright. Most of the PCs were on the side of good. Meanwhile, Player 1's character had been killed (no duh), but the DM gave the option to raise him as a lich, and to lead the forces of evil. The Player said yeah, and asked the club's VP to help him build the lich and the lich's mount, a great wyrm red dragon, using "any books you want to."

Obviously, the combination is huge. So the two armies are assembled. During the battle, Player 2 (the DM's girlfriend) uses an Orb of Dragon Control on the big ugly red dragon. The big dragon - obviously - passes the DC 30 will save:

Player 2: That's not fair!
    DM: Okay. There's no save then. The dragon is under your control.

Anyway, the player immediently ordered the dragon to kill itself, which is against every single mind-control spell that WotC (and I'm pretty sure TSR) has ever come up with. The dragon's spell is broken, so on its turn it kills 4 titans. Then the good wizard casts imprisonment on the lich. So the lich is out, but there's absolutely nothing left for the army of good, and this massive, powergamed dragon is about to ream the hell out of it.

DM: An entity, a being higher than the gods, comes down and declares good the victor.
    Club VP, Player 1: But the battle's not over! We were just about to win!
    DM: Yeah, but evil can't win. That's not allowed.
    (I need to note that when this happened, the VP was rolling the dice to attack the girlfriend's character, who looked like she was about to cry.)

Anyway. Player 1 is now upset (understandably). But they continue playing after the Christmas break - and play more often - every day a week for the first month! Player 1's character continues to die. Eventually, he stands up and leaves, after a fairly sad ruling by the DM:

The PCs are fighting 2 beholders. Player 1's PC charges in and is stoned. During the battle every other PC is stoned, killed, or incapacitated except the paladin, who simply cannot fail the saving throws without rolling a 1. Eventually, the last beholder is about to die. Rather than continue to fight, he turns, looks at the array of stone PCs, and uses his disintigration ray to destroy - you guessed it - Player 1's character. That was it. Player 1 up and left.

The two ended up almost in a fistfight. At the end of the year, we had a long talk with the two fellows. Neither have played with the other since, and I am pleased to say that most of the other players have since played with, and been much happier with, other DMs.

But I do have more horror stories from the annals of Imagine X.......
    Tonight, on silver wings;
    We'll be soaring through the mountains of the moon...
    On our silver wings;
    Flying where no angels fly...

13. - Top - End - #13

Wow....just...wow...

I've taken measures to try and kill off a PC before, an action I wasn't totally proud of (but he was driving me nuts with his cheating/rule bending), but killing that PC every session and more? Wow...
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

The worst part is that, near the end, these two guys were at each other's throats every day. We usually eat lunch/supper together, and there were just constant arguments. So yes, it is a D&D horror story, of the utmost.
    On our silver wings;

15. - Top - End - #15

Yeah, reading that reminded me of another one:

My old group (which I had played 4 other games with no real fighting) decided that my girlfriend was stealing me away and hoarding my soul, and rather than confront me about it decided to post it on the internet in a blog. This of course happened 2 days before our next planned session, and rather than talk about the little spat we were having they wanted to just play DnD despite the fact that I was royally pissed at the way they were treating my girlfriend when we tried to talk about it and solve our problems later...apparently DnD is more important than friendships are to them...and I haven't really talked to any of them since. It's not that I'm unwilling to forgive them, I just feel we have nothing to talk about anymore.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Back in college, I knew a horrific GM, a guy who saw D&D as a battle between the DM and the players. His job, he thought, was to beat the PCs. An example of his tactics. We use ESP on the goblins and all they think is "KILL KILL KILL." They use ESP on our scouting rogue, and learn all of our plans -- even though the rogue didn't know what the plans were.

I played a little then quit, but a friend stayed in his campaign. One night he comes to me, all upset. He had actually managed to get a character up to 7th level... and he died. Between taxes, expenses, raise dead costs, and "dungeon use" fees, the party was deeply in debt. If he didn't come up with 500 gp, fast, his character was history.

"No problemo," I told him. "Get me an invite to your game and I'll get you out of hock."

"You don't understand," he moaned. "Most monsters only have a few silver. We've never even HAD 500 gp." I told him to trust me -- and he got me invited to next Sunday's game.

I roll up a fighter. 1st level, standard starting gear. When we came to the first door I said, "I run up and kick it open."

The DM starts snickering happily. "The door was trapped! Fire sprays out, doing... 20 points of damage to you. You're dead!"

Party strips my corpse. I smile and roll up another fighter. We make it to the second door. "I kick it in."

DM snorts and chuckles. "A rock drops on your head, doing 7 points of damage."

Me: "What's on the other side of the door?"

DM: "Fifteen goblins."

Me: "I charge 'em."

Cleric: "Uh, you've got 2 hp. Want me to heal you?"

Me: "Nah, save your spells."

DM: "Hee hee hee, hahaha! Three arrows slam into you doing... 12 points of damage. You're DEAD!"

Me: "Cool." <starts rolling another fighter>

And so the evening went. The monsters we killed did, as predicted, drop about 50 gp of treasure. But I died 15 times. Giving the party 15 sets of fighter starting gear to hawk. And so, by the end of the night, the PCs were indeed out of debt.

The punch-line? As I left (never to return), the DM looked at me in puzzlement and said, "I don't understand how you died so many times. I'd heard you were a good player...."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

True or not - damned funny in any case.

(And if true, then it is also kind of sad that he never realized he was handing out free loot through you)
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Teehee, comedy gold. I can think of some DMs I know who would be pleasantly blinded by the pleasure of murdering PCs like that.
    On our silver wings;

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trust me, Ancilla's story is true. Horribly true. Why people played with that GM I'll never know, but I knew him. He really did think it was the GM's job to "beat the players". It never seemed to dawn on him that since he was the GM beating the players was easy and not the point.

I played with him once or twice and never went back.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

(For the record, Severus was not the player with the dead character -- that was a mutual friend. Don't want to besmirch poor Severus' reputation by suggesting that he might have played in that campaign! ;D )

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Senshi Esquire
    Hi all!
    He's a homebrew champion. He never runs games in Faerun, but in his own worlds, with his own rules. He hates casters with a passion, so outlaws them (unless you're his brother-in-law). He rules things in favour of realism, instead of the actual rules. Usually a good idea, but not always apt.
    He shouldn't be playing D&D.

Really.

Maybe he should try D20 Modern. Maybe he should try a completely different system which is more geared towards low-magic, high-combat and skills. I think he would get a kick out of Palladium, which does very well if played that way. But he really shouldn't be playing D&D. The style he likes doesn't seem to mesh with a lot of the assumptions of D&D.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx

He shouldn't be playing D&D.

Really.

Maybe he should try D20 Modern. Maybe he should try a completely different system which is more geared towards low-magic, high-combat and skills. I think he would get a kick out of Palladium, which does very well if played that way. But he really shouldn't be playing D&D. The style he likes doesn't seem to mesh with a lot of the assumptions of D&D.
    There are a few low-magic settings I'd suggest for him: Spellslinger, Trojan War, Skull & Bones for starters.

The part that speaks against his running D&D says to me not so much "avoid D&D" as "avoid DMing," because he sees it as his job to beat the players. Paranoia, actually, would be perfect for him.
    "But Mr. Davidson, even your own faith teaches that the world must end someday."
    "Yes, well, that's the point. Someday. Not Tuesday!" --Roy "Cappy" Davidson, Thrillseekers, (D20 Past)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

My Worst DM had 1 problem.
    He cheated. A lot. He didn't cheat because he liked it, but to "balance" the game. If you hit your enemy for max damage (including power attack, secondary attack, ... ) he never ever went down. He would get some more hp, or a better AC, or some freaking ability. But this isn't the worst, cause, hey, the bad guy Could have had this DR ability, or that much hp., the real problem was, by changing the bad guy, he changed the CR. Wich lead almost to getting beaten up. But did we die? nope, suddenly he gets easier to hit, does less damage, ...
    And when he goes down, jippie, we win, aren't we happy we killed him all by ourselves.

24. - Top - End - #24

Well...technically it's not cheating cause he's the DM, it actually talks about doing stuff like that in the first chapter of the DMG, but to only do it sparingly, and you certainly shouldn't ever let your players know.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Horror story-MAJOR post: This one went a long way to ending my friendship with the guy who intraduced me to DND 8 years previously.

This was going to be THE BIG GAME. it had been theorized about for years where my DM (who will go only by A) was going to get all his friends together for a game. He told us to roll up characters before we got there, or at least he told one group of his friends and said he told everyone. I rolled up an elven thief. The DM and I co created a world andthis was to be its big introduction....to compensate for player knowledge I gave him lots of profiecy (2e) in local knowledge. The semi-multual friend who was introduced at the same time i was (and with whom i often played) rolled up a cleric, others a mage. However, the day the event was to be played his (the cleric) family was out of town and would have to be introduced in the next session
    (3 others had to miss this opening session..2 of whom were of the older style gaming i shall discuss below)(that second session would never happen).

Unfortunatly by bringing all his friends he slammed together 2 very differently styled groups:

The older(as in had played with him for years) group were deep rollplayers who stayed in Character and considered the Game an acting exercise and way to explore different points of view as much as anything....
    The group he had joined when he went to HS was....munckin...loved to get their hands on any new book that may have new rules that would give them an advantage iiin combat and well.....they were into getting that one extra XP you couldn't get by double leveling up by urinating...preferably in public. (at the time you could never get enough XP to level up more than once from a single encounter remaining only 1 point shy of gaining that second level)

The day of....
    I found out that the only characters built were a fighter (whose player had never played but lurked with us for years, was the only female, and based her character on Xena) and a ranger (who was (NG), used the falconer kit, and because the guy had lucky dice- none of his scores were below 16).

Then i found out that the DM would be using psionics for the first time....Now I became slightly concered. The lucky dice gave the above mentioned ranger a pair of wild talents for turning into animals and teleporting.
    Then somebody made a bard with the jester kit.
    Then somebody make a psionisist (sorta noob)
    Then somebody created another thief
    Then somebody created a third thief
    Then somebody created a psionisist with multiple personalites who had different powers, weapon profiencies, and little NG vs NE personality war.
    I became seriously concered at this point with where we might be going.

The Game begins
    We appeared in the middle of an open field. We are told the party is a couple of miles from the ocean (and a small forest that ran along the coast) and three days north of a town. The dm says "You're in camp...what do you do?"...(looks confused then points at me.)
    "I break camp" next player: "I start a fire",nest says "I break camp", "I change into a brighter costume" (that was the bard), ... the game went down hill from there....it took us three goes round before everybody chose to pack up and head for the coast where we could at least walk in the shade under the trees instead of in the sun on the plain.

By the time we got there the fighter had kicked the bard, the bard had tied up ... someone, the dual persoanlity psion had switched personalities and had to stop to don his armour and switch his bolas for a mourning star...and I was seriously annoyed. When we arrived at the coast i told them that due to my knowledge of geography (and they all knew i helped build this world) i recomended we go north where a city was to be found five days away...it would be a farther walk but we would have a better chance of finding work in a small city than a small town. That story was a pack of lies. I knew that to the north there was a nasty forest that we set asside as an area that should be limited to PC's 6th lvl and up which was a dead end (this was an archipelago).

Of cource the party believed me and except for a few more PC to PC bruises we decided to make camp several miles north (being an elf and a thief i put a hamoc in a tree). I went off to get firewood while the rest set up the kitchen and stuff. When i get back, i find that the good ranger has decided to kill the two giant wild boars that have wandered into the camp because "we can sell their tusks"....struck me as very 2e ranger compatible playing (in 2e rangers were always good and love nature and balence and hated overhunting). I go up my tree and just wait for this idiocy to blow over since the boars are trying to GET AWAY...the fighter nearly dies and i let her up the tree with a rope. The psion with the bolas (he switched personalites again somewhere) got hurt and the ranger shoots the second fleeing boar in the bum. This confirms to me that my plan for the night was the right thing for my character to do.

I the middle of the night i wake the fighter (who seems useful to have around) and sneak off south.

We make good time but somehow the ranger turns into first a monkey, and then an Eagle (both times without a power check) and holds the shape change for the entire day it takes to catch up with us. (which i found agrivating since i had left him for a reason but he and i could mesh stylistically when away from the bard and psychotic psion).

The dual-personality psion and the jester head south at movement rate 15 leaving the other theif and other psion going south at movement rate 12 (something to do with their str and con scores led to them having differnt overland speed)
    Finnally the third thief continued north for a day before turning around.
    Now this was more of a mess than i had expected. The only other player besides myself who could have led this motly bunch was the ranger who i had specifically left behind to do just that.
    Group 1 (the fighter, ranger and I) made it to the town mentioned at the start of the session. There we stole 2 fine horses and a charger (exceptional horses with movement and str bonuses) we then ran past an orc raiding post and got hit by one arrow. The bard/psion pair made it to town day and a half later and stole 1 nag (poor quality horse with str and move penalties) that a couple days later turned into two normal horses overnight (just the first of the space time discontinueities we were to see). They also attacked the reienforced orc raiding post a few miles outside of town. The psion in his evil version (again with power checks or monitereing duration or Psp's) used psionics to "track" the first party down.
    After getting into a bar fight the Psion/thief pair thought they should buy a horse (which they did from gambling proceeds where they had cheated at cards (i mentioned a bar brawl?))...then proceed to get killed when the orc possition was reenforced again to company strength and they thought they could take them all on because they were PC's and the orcs were not.
    The final thief had turned around by this point and picked up a highly magical ring somewhere(it was so magical it STANK of magic) and proceeded to steal a horse and thoughtfully rode by the orc battalion where he was reduced to 1 hp by arrow volley fire....he was seven days behind us when the next series of events went down.
    A griffon attacked the rangers falcon (who was scouting) and while the bard/psion pair, who were still 3 days behind us, suddenly came round the corner. While this was hapening the griffon got my horse and the ranger teleported onto the griffon's back where a critical to the neck (while we are 1st lvl still) killed it in one blow. I disappear into the grass in disgust over the space time discontinuity of the psion/jester pair showing up. The ranger (again with no power checks or Psp's) turns into a vulture and finds me...I say fine draw my sword for the first time point it over their heads and say "Tallyhoe". I was actually thinking that whatever i'll just have to live with a party more twisted than a corckscrew. The psion (back in his evil mood today) used adrenilin control to kill me in one hit...the ranger turns into a giant wolverine and those two kill each other by having the same initive and dealing enough damage to kill lvl 1 characters in one hit. Right about now a thief stuck full of arrows draped over his horse comes round the corner. Somewhere in this mess the bard/jester got in bad shape too. About this time the sun starts to set (I had walked into grass about 9am...they found me in 20 minutes....we fought for 20 seconds and now it's evening?) and they hear werewolves howling...I tell the fighter to put on the smelly magic ring and walk away from the injured folk who don't notice that they have walked all over three dead bodies...they head off the other way and since no silver was availible i point out that the werewolves are more likly to hunt 2 injured people that then strong confident one smelling of magic.
    The only survivor in the party is the one who has never played before which i thought was ironic enough to be worth a few laughs.

I found out afterward that he, the DM, had quite a campign planned out for us but it started at lvl 3 and he had no plans for how we were to get to lvl 3

I blame the DM for slamming such disparte groups together whichout checking to see how they might mix first. I blame him for not having an andventure for us to do at first level. I also blame the DM for the space time problems and the never asking of power checks or Psp's running out. I blame the other players for not having the basic sence of playing the game for things like breaking camp...not beating each other up, not acting acording to thier alignment...And i blame myself for overreacting and acting childish about it.

Edit sorry bout the grammer middle of the night post i was really going strait from memory to keys without thinking about actually putting into a sensible fashion.

26. - Top - End - #26

Sorry, but I had trouble reading that. Can you post with better grammar? Im not trying to be a **** or anything but it is pretty hard to read.
    I'll have to sink my fangs in someone else's heart to heal my own.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SKTarq
    Horror story-MAJOR post: This one went a long way to ending my friendship with the guy who intraduced me to DND 8 years previously.

This was going to be THE BIG GAME.
    Like a train wreck that you can see coming, but can't do anything to stop.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

In retrospect, it seems that my DM was pretty mild by some standards. o_o;;

My old group (which I had played 4 other games with no real fighting) decided that my girlfriend was stealing me away and hoarding my soul, and rather than confront me about it decided to post it on the internet in a blog. This of course happened 2 days before our next planned session, and rather than talk about the little spat we were having they wanted to just play DnD despite the fact that I was royally pissed at the way they were treating my girlfriend when we tried to talk about it and solve our problems later...apparently DnD is more important than friendships are to them...and I haven't really talked to any of them since. It's not that I'm unwilling to forgive them, I just feel we have nothing to talk about anymore.
    Sad to say I know exactly what you mean. Just because I'd rather spend time with her sometimes means I'm whipped, blah, blah, blah.

Needless to say, this "group of friends" turned out to be pretty lousy friends. Haven't seen or heard from them for a long time, good riddance. Hopefully with this upcoming campaign, I'll have the opportunity to build some better memories of D&D. ^^

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryver
    Sad to say I know exactly what you mean. Just because I'd rather spend time with her sometimes means I'm whipped, blah, blah, blah.
    Just laugh and say, "Yep, I sure am. Guess I'll just have to console myself with all that good lovin'. Poor me, huh?" and then smile to yourself.
    ;)

30. - Top - End - #30

Real friends are the ones who stick with you and support you even when you do things they disapprove of. That's the difference between friends and acquaintences. A friend will help me out when it's not to their immediate reward. An acquaintence or gaming buddy will show up to game, but without the game they have zero interest in hanging out or helping out.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!