New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Binder/Hellfire Warlock

I hear there is a way to negate the con damage from being a hellfire warlock by being a binder. Which vestige does this?
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Binder/Hellfire Warlock

Naberius. It's not exactly negation, hee just lets you restore 1 con damage per round
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Naberius. It doesn't negate, it heals it.

That said, the Vest from Magic of Incarnum is a feat, rather than a dip, so you don't lose as much for a similar benefit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Little Brother View Post

That said, the Vest from Magic of Incarnum is a feat, rather than a dip, so you don't lose as much for a similar benefit.
    but that one is open to discussion, Naberius isn't... it all depends on your DM since not even BG and GitP have formed a conclusive answer on the whole stronheart vest thingie...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    but that one is open to discussion, Naberius isn't... it all depends on your DM since not even BG and GitP have formed a conclusive answer on the whole stronheart vest thingie...
    We haven't formed a conclusive answer in the same way we haven't formed a conclusive answer about monks v. wizards.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, but Strongheart Vest is kinda controversial. OP, ask your DM about it, because spending a feat is nicer than dipping into another class, but keep in mind that s/he might say no. Binding Naberius, since it takes a dip and doesn't actually prevent the Con damage, will probably be easier to swing.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by onemorelurker View Post
    Yeah, but Strongheart Vest is kinda controversial. OP, ask your DM about it, because spending a feat is nicer than dipping into another class, but keep in mind that s/he might say no. Binding Naberius, since it takes a dip and doesn't actually prevent the Con damage, will probably be easier to swing.
    Actually I'm the DM but I don't know incarnum.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Can't you get Naberius through feats as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Can't you get Naberius through feats as well?
    Only the diplomacy bits, not the ability damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Why hasn't BG or Giantitp come up with a conclusive answer? The Vest blocks a point of ability score damage, Hellfire deals a point of ability damage. Why wouldn't it work?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

We haven't formed a conclusive answer in the same way we haven't formed a conclusive answer about monks v. wizards.
    This^

Monks and people against HF locks need DnD lessons.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    Actually I'm the DM but I don't know incarnum.
    Basically, the Strongheart Vest reduces any Str or Con damage by 1, which means that a Hellfire Warlock would take 0 Con damage. Some people interpret this as violating the "can't be immune to Con damage" thing HWs have, which is why it's controversial.

If you're disallowing incarnum, of course, that's a moot point.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

If the Strongheart Vest isn't allowed since it prevents CON damage, how come Naberius is okay?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Okizruin View Post
    If the Strongheart Vest isn't allowed since it prevents CON damage, how come Naberius is okay?
    You still take the damage, you just heal it later. If healing it later wasn't ok then nothing could be a Hellfire Warlock unless it was both vulnerable to Con damage and had no natural ability healing.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nabeuris heals it, but you still take the damage, so it works.

It is debateble whether with strongheart vest you still take the damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onemorelurker View Post
    Basically, the Strongheart Vest reduces any Str or Con damage by 1, which means that a Hellfire Warlock would take 0 Con damage. Some people interpret this as violating the "can't be immune to Con damage" thing HWs have, which is why it's controversial.

If you're disallowing incarnum, of course, that's a moot point.
    I'm not disallowing it I just don't quite get how it works yet.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not disallowing it I just don't quite get how it works yet.
    The vest reduces con damage that you take. Default is 1 point. Hellfire costs you one point so the combo means you take no con damage. The question is whether reducing damage to 0 effectively makes you immune to the damag1e and thus makes hellfire not work. Essentially there are two camps.

1. You are not immune to con damage so it works. being able to reduce to 0 on hellfire does not make you immune similar to DR reducing damage to 0 does not make you immune to damage. Fluff wise the vest is made up of souls so stealing from it makes fluffy sense as they say the devil will apreciate you getting around the agreement by offering other soul energy.

2. Since it always reduces hellfire to 0 it makes you immune to hellfire damage which violates the idea of hellfire. Fluff wise they will say that the devils want your soul , not just any soul, and will not accept the vests soul energy.

In the end there is only DM ruling and this is one of the conversations I put on my "will generally kill a thread" list. It often gets that ugly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pringle talking about incarnum in general not just the soulmeld(I would be very embrassed if I wrong but that what it sounds like to me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

You want to learn a bit more about Incarnum? There's a couple of tutorial threads on the matter, I think there's even one here on the boards that Shneekythelost was involved in starting up.

Incarnum Handbook on BG, WOTC.

Incarnum and You: A Reference Guide here on GITP. And some further discussion that tried to make one here.

Great subsystem that seems pretty interesting, takes a bit of reading of the book itself to get all of the information necessary due to some unfortunate editing decisions meaning that information was not quite as centralized as one would like for a skim or first read-through.

As for Naberius, the bit where one takes a point of damage and then heals it at the end of one's turn seems to have been explained. Then again, I might have misunderstood it, but I thought it was at the end of one's turn, might just be at any time during one's turn though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    The vest reduces con damage that you take. Default is 1 point. Hellfire costs you one point so the combo means you take no con damage. The question is whether reducing damage to 0 effectively makes you immune to the damag1e and thus makes hellfire not work. Essentially there are two camps.

1. You are not immune to con damage so it works. being able to reduce to 0 on hellfire does not make you immune similar to DR reducing damage to 0 does not make you immune to damage. Fluff wise the vest is made up of souls so stealing from it makes fluffy sense as they say the devil will apreciate you getting around the agreement by offering other soul energy.

2. Since it always reduces hellfire to 0 it makes you immune to hellfire damage which violates the idea of hellfire. Fluff wise they will say that the devils want your soul , not just any soul, and will not accept the vests soul energy.

In the end there is only DM ruling and this is one of the conversations I put on my "will generally kill a thread" list. It often gets that ugly.
    I mean I don't understand the incarnum system.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    ~~~~~

21. - Top - End - #21

Incarnum is easy, someone had a guide somewhere even.

Basically, you have soulmelds. You know all the soulmelds for your class, like a cleric would, and every day you can shape (prepare) the amount you're entitled to, also like a cleric. Then, because you're awesome, you can do two more things:
    Invest essentia: Every incarnum class gets some essentia points. Essentia can be rearranged among your shaped melds as a swift action to make those melds better, depending on the meld.
    Bind soulmeld: As you get more levels, you get chakras, which are kind of like item slots. Binding a shaped soulmeld into a chakra makes it do more stuff, depending on the soulmeld and the chakra.

If you're not a meldshaper, you can still take feats to gain access to a single soulmeld, some essentia and a chakra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Spamalot in the Playground

Read Coidzor's post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    This^

Monks and people against HF locks need DnD lessons.
    Ok look; I would personally allow Strongheart Vest+Hellfire but this is just wildly disrespectful. Whatever you seem to think, D&D has no RAW definition for "immune," so it's falls to each individual DM to rule on what counts or what doesn't. You can disagree with a DM for ruling in a way you wouldn't, but no amount of "DnD lessons" can conclusively answer a situation that the rules simply don't cover.

So rather than waste the Giant's bandwidth endlessly wrangling over something that none of us can conclusively settle, let's just move on, live and let live.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

mind, it's probably best not to overthink the fluff involved. I find it ... amusing.