New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Thaumaturge

1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thaumaturge

__ __
    \'/ \'/
    _____

Wendy, what did you do....
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Update!

Also, so many references in the alcohols! Let's see, I recognize: Team Fortress 2 (Haxton Sale= Saxton Hale), Mario (Bullet Bill), Mass Effect (2, specificially "Shepherd's Suicide Mission"), and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Applejack, which is also a real alcohol, funnily enough, and Twilight Black, which might be a reference to the same or to the book series. Not really sure). The others, however, are lost on me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

BLACK*STAR is probably Soul Eater, I would bet Elric is Full Metal Alchemist, and Whitebeard is One Piece. Cider is indeed likely MLP, since it looks like the label is Applejack's cutie mark.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    Update!

Also, so many references in the alcohols! Let's see, I recognize: Team Fortress 2 (Haxton Sale= Saxton Hale), Mario (Bullet Bill), Mass Effect (2, specificially "Shepherd's Suicide Mission"), and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Applejack, which is also a real alcohol, funnily enough, and Twilight Black, which might be a reference to the same or to the book series. Not really sure). The others, however, are lost on me.
    FMA: Elric's Brew. One Piece: Whitebeard Whiskey

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Update!

Dammit, Shepard even made me think of ME and I still didn't get it!

Whitebeard Whiskey = One Piece.

Edit: Damn ninjas!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-04-25 at 08:25 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #486

Planetar

So, the question remains: is the Twilight Black a reference to Twilight Sparkle, or Stephanie Meyer's novel, which could explain the broken condition (thrown against a wall in disgust)
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Update!

This page...Best Page! And no abyssals in sight.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

8. - Top - End - #488
    Banned

So, the question remains: is the Twilight Black a reference to Twilight Sparkle, or Stephanie Meyer's novel, which could explain the broken condition (thrown against a wall in disgust)
    I'm assuming that Twilight Black is what he was drinking here and broke here.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

The ironic thing is that after Scarecrow-Death-guy says "Do you have anything not made for little girls?", he decides to pick the one based on MLP.

Elagune, I applaud you, and your awesome references.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Loved all the references. Fun page
    Truth resists simplicity.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

Elagune, you are awesome.

12. - Top - End - #492

That was pretty funny actually. I'm loving Scarecrow Guy.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

"Don't be silly! Teachers don't sleep!"
    Wendy is looking a little tipsy herself in that panel... probably drunk off the excitement.

...If Mr. Death Sopher hasn't heard of Shepard's, how does he know it isn't very strong? Given the name "Suicide Mission", I'd say it's strong enough to kill.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Meh, Shepherd's mission, probably some drink for some Little Bo Peep who lost her sheep."
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #495
    Barbarian in the Playground

New page up!

Ugh, I'm so sorry for the delay. Personal issues and perfectionism.

Anyway, I love throwing references into things! Like paintings, for instance.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Scarecrow looks really intimidating in that last panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Anyway, I love throwing references into things! Like paintings, for instance.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

As if Blackstar alchohol wasn't enough of a reference to that, now we have a sideways painting.
    Been watching that show on my wii recently... Really good show.

I'd be quite willing to read Thamaturge/Soul Eater Crossover Fanfic, if anyone was willing to write it. Anyone? There's cookies for you in it...

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    As if Blackstar alchohol wasn't enough of a reference to that, now we have a sideways painting.
    Been watching that show on my wii recently... Really good show.

I'd be quite willing to read Thamaturge/Soul Eater Crossover Fanfic, if anyone was willing to write it. Anyone? There's cookies for you in it...
    I haven't seen or read it, but I have watched one scene on YouTube...

"You wrote it!?"
    "No autographs!"
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #499

Soul Eater is an excellent manga (I don't know much about the anime honestly.)

It's actually one of the most amazing manga when it comes to fight scenes, tying with One Piece in my opinion but with wildly differing styles. Soul Eater's manga employs a lot of still-shots that serve as snapshots into the action, and its the line of action in the figures that gives Soul Eater its charm. The posing of the characters makes you feel the action despite being still images, and his art style works incredibly well with his story, usually going abstract and different when appropriate in the story. He's a guy who really likes to experiment, despite this being his sole source of livelihood, and that really gets my respect.

His character design is also really interesting, as well as the idea for the manga. The idea of living weapons is just far-out enough to be exciting, yet he grounds the idea within solid characters. His background design is also very interesting, often exaggerating things and making the setting feel more like it exists inside a painting rather than a living, breathing world, which is another thing that really works with this piece of work. His previous series, B. Ichi, uses a similar exaggerated style, but because it takes place in a facsimile of the real world it's actually really jarring. A fantasy world helps suspend disbelief and really helps with melding the setting together.

Some of the greatest chapters in Soul Eater for me are the first Justin Law vs. Giriko fight, the Sid vs. Mifune fight, the Black Star vs. Mifune fight, and the battle against Noah (Greed). The composition and pacing is really great, but more suitable for a monthly series than a webcomic.

As for things I don't like, I really don't enjoy his everyday scenes. I find that the characters have faces that don't really get emotion across very well - the guy is just too good at drawing disturbing imagery that he can't really make normal situations convincing. His humour works in certain situations, but those tend to standout rather than be seamlessly intertwined with the narrative. One Piece is much better at keeping a contant pace of humour and seriousness, similar to My Little Ponies.

But all-in-all, Soul Eater is definitely a manga to check out. I find it most interesting that the author actively eschews the standard cutesiness of Japanese culture and instead adopts a more grotesque approach to visual styles.

Annnnnd it turns out I've gone on a rant again. I'll just leave this here in case you find it interesting.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Orc in the Playground

Very nice pacing. I'm impressed.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Soul Eater is an excellent manga (I don't know much about the anime honestly.)

Annnnnd it turns out I've gone on a rant again. I'll just leave this here in case you find it interesting.
    I read it right through (your rant, not the manga). Your experience with the anime might be more than my experience than the manga, but here's what I can tell you:

I thought it was a almost entirely humorous series during the first three episodes I watched. Blaire is definitely a source of humor (Cat!), and possibly any male viewer's favorite character (Except I like the misunne sisters more (I know I misspelled that)). It definitely has gotten darker as it has progressed, though, and where I am, well, not to spoil anything, but the skies across the world are turning red.

The grinning moon with the bloody smile is a little bizzare, and the laughing sun just as much, but they are key to some conversations. This may be the same in the Manga. I also felt the living weapons idea was quite ingenius, and have felt the desire to have one of my own on several occasions. Three weapons come to mind that would fit me: Claw Gloves. A wide bladed sword that the guard is an extension of the blade, that extends below the grip. And a even wider bladed sword, with a curved handle at the base, that forms a half circle, joining with the blade again.

The fights take place... I haven't seen One Piece, so I can't say whether the comparison stands or not. But they stand still panting and talking a lot during a lot of the fights - interspersed by really rapid action. More action than talking, really, but they describe the abilities more than they perform them, with the exception of their signature moves, and moves that they don't understand and won't get explained for several episodes.

They get emotion across fairly well - but though we can plainly see them, the characters seem oblivious to each others emotion. The remaining humor is spaced out, but mostly revolves around manipulating those emotions. Such as Chrona's emotions - one of the main plot sources at the point I have watched to.

I'd say both the manga and anime have their goods and their bads. I don't know about the manga, but you do. And... I rant back. Oops.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502

The main thing I think sets Soul Eater apart is the highly stylized look of the series. Most of the environments have a kind of gothic feel, but exagerated to cartoony extremes (I'm pretty sure cartoony is a word).

But maybe we should stop talking about it before we derail the thread.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiosity Elagune, have you ever looked at Yumekui Merry or the manga adaptation of The Saga of Darren Shan?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist View Post
    The main thing I think sets Soul Eater apart is the highly stylized look of the series. Most of the environments have a kind of gothic feel, but exagerated to cartoony extremes (I'm pretty sure cartoony is a word).
    Gotta agree here. The character and eviroment design is really, really cool. I like to call that look "burtonesque". Which I'm very sure isn't a word, but I like to think does the job.

25. - Top - End - #505

New page up!

I'm surprised that nobody found the other reference in the previous page. At least I'm all caught up to my schedule now.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotta give props to the Tesla-tor. Very alternate history world, eh?

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Banned

New page up!

I'm surprised that nobody found the other reference in the previous page. At least I'm all caught up to my schedule now.
    The Xykon quote or the MLP reference?

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

I'm quite sure everypony saw it. Just no one mentioned 'em.

Awesome little snippet of world-building here. So, B.A.E.? Before something Era? I suppose Wendy is reading up on this Loewe, so the date is probably equivalent to the mid-16th Century.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-04-30 at 01:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

New page up!

Wendy! Why did you stop reading?! I was finding all that very interesting!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

30. - Top - End - #510

Where did all the mooks go? Are they just laying unconcious outside the ranch?

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.