New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default The Thieves' Guild (IC)

Osevna. The crossroads of the world. An island in an ocean between three continents. An eye in the frequent storms that buffet the Unsleeping Sea. A welcome beacon of hope to the ships that dare the perilous crossing during the storm season. A halfway stop for sailors to fritter their gold away on drink, games and mistresses before they return to the watery embrace of their wife the sea. A metropolis to rival the capital of any empire. A city of trade and trades.

What once began as a sleepy village by a cresent-shaped harbour grew and grew over centuries, until its boundaries were pushed so far out that it covers the entire island and the waves now lap at its great stone walls. Concentric inner walls tell the history of Osevna, like rings in a tree trunk. Each layer sits on higher ground than the one outside it, but this hill is no natural feature – no, after the city walls were pushed all the way to the ocean’s edge, there was no place to build but up and down, and so the rich built up on top of older buildings, while the poor were left to scrape holes for themselves below ground. As some said, the surface city is but the tip of the iceberg.

The Harbour Ring is the outermost ring of the city and houses the docks where ships of all nationalities drop off their goods and pick up exotic wares for the trip home. This close to the shore, the ground is soft and has never been able to support much of an underground city beyond a few sewers, nor has it been able to support buildings more than a few stories high. Rich and poor alike mingle in narrow crowded streets as they go about their business. The air is filled with the sounds of merchants hawking their wares and sailors enjoying their furloughs.

It is on these streets that someone jostles each of you, at different places, and each time disappears into the press of the crowd before you can see who it is. You quickly discover that the pickpocket has relieved you of much of your coin, leaving you with no more than five pieces of gold, but in their stead you find an unsealed letter written in dignified, heavy writing:

“Greetings, future thief. You have been chosen because your potential has caught my eye. Few individuals are so lucky, and I have never been wrong. However, no matter how much potential you have, it will all be useless unless you learn how to realize it. Fortune awaits you, friend, if you will but accept my offer. Go to the Fallen Paladin Inn and ask for the private booth reserved by one Mister Wolf, and we will speak more. Yours truly, The Recruiter.”

The Fallen Paladin Inn is a well-known tavern, of honest repute as far as such things can be said of such places. It is particularly popular for the strong liquors and spirits it carries, many times stronger than the standard brews and never watered down. It is also infamous for the extraordinary number of bouncers it retains, to handle the inevitable drunken brawls. In fact, one corner of the floor is marked for pugilist matches, so that the drunks have a legitimate outlet to vent their violent impulses. Rumours abound that those knocked out in the Fallen Paladin Inn, whether it be by alcohol or punch, are kidnapped and sold off to passing slavers, but these rumours have never been proven.

Should you ask for the private booth reserved by Mister Wolf, you would be led to a relatively quieter side of the floor, where there are booths set against the wall and set apart from the rest of the tavern and each other by heavy curtains. The booth you are shown is a cramped space with two chairs around a small table. A single candle provides just enough light to see by, and probably leaves it dark enough to be unable to see whatever you’re drinking. The ambient noise of merry drunks all throughout the tavern would make it hard for anybody, even as close as an adjacent booth, to eavesdrop.

Of course, there are two people who received this invitation, Mister Wolf won’t arrive earlier than either of them, and there are only two seats in the booth…

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Thieves' Guild (IC)

Harper slowly and cautiously walks through the tavern, uneasy around so many people, and as quietly as possible asks the bartender, I'm here to see a Mister Wolf?" After seeing the booth, she sheepishly approaches one of the bouncers and requests him to stay near and watch the booth while she meets the pickpocket. She offers to pay him if he likes. She firmly decides not to drink anything.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bounding through the tavern doors a bald, middle aged man half staggers towards the bar. Stopping by slamming his hands down on the counter he orders a good strong ale before looking around the room for this Mister Wolf, once hes found the booth he will order another ale for good measure before sitting down with his feet resting on the other emtpy chair.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The bartender, a large red-headed and red-bearded man, doesn’t even look at Harper as he points to the booth. “O’er there, lass.” He continues to serve his paying customers and pays no further attention to Harper.

On the other hand, the burly half-orc bouncer stares at Harper silently for a few seconds, before finally shrugging. “I’m not yer errand boy, lady,” he grunts and returns to his post at the front entrance of the tavern.

Quote Originally Posted by Effect
    -2 to Disguise checks against this NPC
    When the bald middle-aged man arrives, he too is pointed to the booth by the bartender. “Thar’ll be two coppers for the ale,” the bartender adds.

After both invitees are in the booth, a half-elf wench brings and sets down on the table, uninvited, a large tray. “Your order, messirs,” she mutters bluntly and walks off without another word. On the tray are several items: an uncorked bottle of wine, two wineglasses, a letter and an envelope sealed with an unmarked drop of wax.

The letter is in the same handwriting as the previous.

Quote Originally Posted by Letter
    Greetings, future thief.

You have been chosen because your potential has caught my eye. Few individuals are so lucky, and I have never been wrong. However, no matter how much potential you have, it will all be useless unless you learn how to realize it.

Seeing how you have followed my instructions, I shall take the liberty of assuming that you accept my offer. I regret that we cannot yet speak face-to-face, for there is still one more task that you must accomplish; consider this a test if you will.

There is an alchemist by the name of Quinsley who lives in the Harbour Ring. He has almost completed work on a concoction that will cause much distress to the well-being of the Thieves’ Guild. Quinsley’s work must be destroyed and his notes delivered to the Thieves’ Guild. Furthermore, you must ensure that Quinsley cannot resume work ever again, so that his fate becomes a warning to all who would cross the Thieves’ Guild.

As this is your first job I shall provide suggestions to help you succeed in your task. Whether you take heed of my advice is of course entirely up to you, and rest assured that I will not feel insulted either way. Quinsley is a moderately successful alchemist and his name is not unknown. It should not be difficult to gather information about the whereabouts of his laboratory, where his research and notes should be stored. Make your way inside through whatever means you deem necessary, keeping in mind that the Thieves’ Guild frowns upon killing guards – although monsters, undead and constructs, should you encounter them, are fair game. Take what you can with you and sabotage the rest. As for Quinsley himself, you may plant the sealed envelope in his possessions, and an anonymous tip shortly after will lead a patrol of city guardsmen to find the package and enough incriminating evidence within to lock him up for the rest of his life.

Upon the success of your mission I shall contact you again.

Yours truly, The Recruiter.

P.S.: Do enjoy the wine. It is not drugged, and its price of twenty gold pieces has been charged to your table. You may wish to note that the Fallen Paladin Inn does not accept tabs, nor does the establishment look kindly upon deadbeats who drink without paying. My apologies! You do not have twenty gold pieces, even between the two of you, do you? I am sure that you will think of something. Let me leave you with a few final words of advice. Don't rush. Stop and think first, then act.
    You are currently on the ground floor of the Fallen Paladin Inn.

On the north side are a pair of double doors which serve as the main entrance in and out of the tavern. It is guarded by a pair of bouncers, one of whom is the one Harper spoke to earlier. The bouncers are muscular half-orcs, with cudgels at their sides.

In the centre of the floor space are many long tables and benches. Many patrons are seated, eating, drinking and singing, while serving girls snake among them bearing trays laden with food and drink. It is crowded enough to lose sight of someone in this area, and impossible to travel through at any great speed without knocking people down. Another pair of bouncers are seated close to the main doors, enjoying a break and a meal.

Over on the eastern side, a boxing ring is roped off and judging from the cheers of the crowd gathered around there, there must be two boxers going at it. Two more bouncers keep an eye on the fight, while the spectators make bets on the outcome of the match.

The western side contains the booths, some of which are occupied with the curtains drawn for privacy, and one of which is being occupied by Harper and bald middle-aged man.

The southern side sports the bar, where patrons are seated on high stools and served drinks directly from the bartender. On the southeastern corner there is a doorway which, from the smells and wisps of wood smoke coming from it, must lead to the kitchens. That, and the fact that there is a steady procession of serving girls going back and forth, bringing out full cups and bowls and returning with empty ones. On the southwestern corner is a stairway leading both up to the second floor and down to the cellar. A single bouncer leans against the wall, supposedly watching the staircase, but nodding off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Harper looks up from the letter and meets the eyes of her new partner-in-criminated, before looking back at the wine bottle with a disappointed look on her face. "I don't suppose we could just return this."

6. - Top - End - #6

"Ah what fun! Hmm I think ive got it..." Jeffrey chuckles as he scans the room for a moment, pours himself a glass of wine "Well we cant return it now" and swigs it down.

"Ok girly this is the plan, sit tight, look casual and wait for my distraction then head for the doors. Got it?" He says with a wink a smile.
    Last edited by GodGoblin; 2011-12-30 at 05:29 AM.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"...will you talk to me about this first? Wolf did say to think it out..." Harper says, wide eyed and frowning a little. She thinks for a split second, then reaches across the table with a more serious look and lightly grabs your wall-side arm, "I can get out those doors just fine, but why take the risk?"

8. - Top - End - #8

"I have thought it out lass! And why risk? Because risk is fun! Now be alert and watch this..." Jeffrey closes his eyes and concentrates, his facial features begin to shift and contort until the person sitting in front of Harper is no longer an old man but a young handsome Elf. With yet another wink he takes the letter and tucks it in his jerkin before standing up and walking towards the bouncers by the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Disguise self, Ill stop what he does there to give Harper another go at reacting etc.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"..." Harper stares expressionlessly at him for a few seconds, blinking once or twice, then, "Where do we meet once we're out of here?"

10. - Top - End - #10

Jeff turns around as he walks "Oh ill just be outside!" He strolls to the bouncers handing them a silver each "Mighty fine establishment here my good men, the girl over there's got the bill" And with that he goes to walk past the guards and out to the streets. The young ones these days are far too trusting...
    Last edited by GodGoblin; 2011-12-30 at 12:36 PM.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The bouncers pocket their bribes and hold the doors open for him with little more than a grunt. After he's gone, one of them waves over one of the tavern wenches and whispers something in her ear while pointing directly towards Harper's booth. She begins picking her way through the crowded tavern and makes her way towards Harper’s booth…

Meanwhile, as Jeff leaves the Fallen Paladin Inn, a covered cart drawn by a pair of draft horses is passing by. With a sudden crack and snap the front wheel dislodges itself from the axle and flies off – and Jeff is right in its path!

Spoiler
    Show
    Make a reflex save!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Harper "happens to notice" the waitress coming towards her and looks at her and raises her hand, beckoning her over to the booth, a light and easy smile on her face.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The young human serving girl weaves her way through the crowd and reaches the booth, guided by Harper's beckoning hand. She is wearing a waitress' uniform that marks her as an employee of the tavern, which she fills out nicely especially around the chest and hips. As she steps into the booth, the heavy curtain flows back into place behind her, blocking those outside from looking inside.

Erm... excuse me, miss, but your man said that you would pay? she asks a little nervously.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"My man?!" Harper exclaims, surprised. "...I'll bet he did." She finishes drolly. "But no, not yet, I'm expecting another guest shortly." She lightly lifts the empty wineglass from across the table, "Could you bring me a clean gla-", while handing the glass to the serving girl, she "accidently" knocks her own glass onto herself.

UH!" She stands up and back a bit, arms raised and looking down at her midsection. She closes her eyes as if stressed out, "Perfect. Well," she says, clearly irritated, "is there somewhere I could wash this off before my employer arrives?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The serving girl shakes her head. I'm sorry, miss, but I think you are the last to leave. I'll be more than happy to take you to the back to clean up, but please pay up first...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sorry lass, but no. Fetch the bartender if you don't believe me, and bring me a towel while you're at it." Harper states flatly while picking up the fallen glass and sitting it back on the table.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alright miss. Please wait here. The waitress draws the curtain back, turns around for one more glance at Harper, suspicion on her face. Then she heads towards the bar...

The bouncer at the staircase snoozes as Harper sneaks by him and up the stairs. She finds herself at one end of a long hallway. On the left side there are a number of closed doors, five in total, spaced evenly along the wall. On the right side some shutters are left open to let the sun in, but barred to make it a tight squeeze for anyone trying to enter - or leave - that way. At the end of the hallway, a ladder leads up to a hatch in the ceiling.

There are sounds of sudden commotion below. Where did the bitch go! Watch all the exits! Someone, check upstairs!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

(!!!) Harper sprints down the hall to the last door, and tries to open it while looking up at the hatch in the ceiling to see if it is barred, locked, or otherwise going to be hard to open.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There is a sturdy padlock holding the hatch shut.

The room is empty of people. It is decorated sensually, with light and billowy drapes of pink dangling from the walls and ceiling. In the centre of the room is a large four-poster bed, and off to one side is a large wardrobe. At the other end of the room is a barred window (glassless) with the shutters closed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"Corellon, surely you jest." Harper mutters with a nervous chuckle, then whips out her set of thieves tools and rushes up the ladder as quickly as possible and starts working at the lock.

Spoiler
    Show
    If she can make the check before being tackled, here's the roll.
    Open Lock: (1d20+10)[12]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Unfortunately for Harper, the lock refuses to yield. Footsteps can be heard coming up the stairs...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Harper, as calmly as possible, starts to pick it again, doing her best to ignore the sounds behind her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Open Lock: (1d20+10)[12]

23. - Top - End - #23

Seeing the speeding cart approach Jeff makes a slightly awkward dive for someone of his age in an attempt to avoid it. "By the Rogue!" He exclaims mid flight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex (1d20+1)[5]

Sorry for the delay here guys, havent been on due to new years and all but back on track now
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Unfortunately for Jeff, he isn't quite fast enough to dodge the wheel, which smacks against his forehead with a loud thud. At least, it doesn't see as though it will do much more harm than leaving a painful purple bruise. The horses whinny as the cart comes to an abrupt stop and wobbles precariously on its three remaining wheels. An old man pokes his white bearded face out from the driver's seat of the covered cart and speaks with a raspy voice and toothless gums.

Woah 'ere! 'orry abou' 'a', 'ranger. Can ye help an old man ou'?

Inside the tavern, one of the half-orc bouncers reaches the top of the stairs and takes a step into the corridor, whereupon he spots Harper fiddling with the lock. His jaw drops soundlessly and he stands there rather idiotically for a moment, then reaches for his sap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20)[20]
    If Harper beats this initiative, then go first.
    Bouncer AC is 10.

(Badly drawn) map with (badly representing) tokens:
    Harper is the one on the right and the bouncer on the left. Squares are standard 5-feet squares.

25. - Top - End - #25

Jeff grumbles as he clutches his still Elven head "Wha-Help you out? You just hit me with a cart and you want me to help?" He says as he cautiously gets back to his feet.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+8)[17]
    I'll edit my action in under this.

edit: nevermind.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2012-01-04 at 03:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oi, what're you doing up here?

The bouncer tosses the question at Harper as he closes the distance between them while drawing his sap. When he is next to her, he takes a wild swing that whiffs through thin air and misses Harper.

Sho' an old man 'ome kin'ess and help me pu' 'e wheel bac' on, w'ya?

The old man gets off the cart and looks at the wheel, scratching his bald head.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Oh fine, lets see what we have here.." Jeff walks over to the cart and inspects the wheel, while really trying to peer inside and seeing what the cart is carrying.
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Harper, ignoring the bouncers' question, leaps away from the ladder and the bouncer, flipping and twisting through the air to land in the hallway outside of the last room, then darts in and moves towards the window, leaping over the bed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Total defense action, tumble into the last square of the hallway: (1d20+8)[28], jump the bed if necessary: (1d20+5)[22].

That makes her AC 20, and her speed is 40ft. - 10ft. for the tumbling, plus up to 30ft. to get to the window.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The bouncer swings his club again and misses again as Harper leaps out of the way. She easily jumps over the bed and her momentum takes her through the window, shattering the shutters into bits of wood and splinters in her wake. Below she sees someone conveniently located to break her fall...

Meanwhile, Jeff hears a loud crashing sound from above and a shadow falls over him...

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble check for Harper
    Reflex save for Jeff
    Good luck!