New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Metal Thread
    VI
    We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Welcome to the sixth iteration of the GitP metal thread, created nearly a year after the beginning of the fifth thread.

Recent topics of discussion: copious amounts of incredibly bleak nothing.

Complementary music suggestions:
    I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots.
    Our Fortress is Burning... II: Bloodbirds

Previous Threads:
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2011-12-03 at 01:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

oh my

new thread
    YAY
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

i just discovered a sick unsigned band called Hhogwash
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hurray, my thread title was used.
    And seeing as it's Black Metal themed, let's have some trve kvlt forstbitten grim Black Metal from the furthest reaches of... umm... Australia.

Seriously, anything which involves Tim Yatras is awesome. It's just a fact of life.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    There is no word for how badly I want a Michael Amott Signature Tyrant (the third one down with the blood splatter finish).

This belongs here because it's such a METAL GUITAR \m/\m/
    Very classy.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I was a bit confused by the middle bit of Song of Myself. It sounds exactly like the start of Anathema's Temporary Peace, off A Fine Day to Exit. Same tone, same voice. Hell, same accent, even. Bit strange, to say the least.
    You managed to set me on an Anathema kick. Not that there's anything wrong with that; Judgment is easily on my top 10 list of albums. It's just that I kind of liked being happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no word for how badly I want a Michael Amott Signature Tyrant (the third one down with the blood splatter finish).

I have to say that while I don't necisarilly dislike his Dean signatures, I think it's really too bad he didn't stick with ESP. This guitar just seems so much better designed than the Dean ones despite being around the same price
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I still think Dylan Carlson's Tele's pretty metal. How much bawlls does it take to walk onto a stage, plug in, and start playing drone doom with one of these?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

While I'm not an authority on the subject by any stretch of the imagination, I can't help but think of my little brother's joke that Deans are only good for smashing at the end of shows. It is nice looking to my untrained eye though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, as far as shape I don't really see it as drastically different from the Tyrant. Plus, no splatter finish = not as metal. >.>
    Looking pretty and being cheap are Dean's two sole selling points, so

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I still think Dylan Carlson's Tele's pretty metal. How much bawlls does it take to walk onto a stage, plug in, and start playing drone doom with one of these?
    Heh, I had a similar thought when I saw Jari rocking out on a teli in Wintersun's "beyond the dark sun music video". I think it may officially mean that they are the first hipsters of their respective genres.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    You managed to set me on an Anathema kick. Not that there's anything wrong with that; Judgment is easily on my top 10 list of albums. It's just that I kind of liked being happy
    Heh. I'm with you there. But I've got so much downer music I tend not to even notice Anathema these days. Which is a shame.

Also, I think I meant the end of Temporary Peace. And on relistening, it's actually not exactly the same. But it's darn similar.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

oh just wanted to check with you guys

what is the most metal color of the Rhand Rhoads FlyingV?
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Dimmu Borgir's guitarist has this custom V the colour of dried blood. It's a pleasing colour for me, for some reason.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Dimmu Borgir's guitarist has this custom V the colour of dried blood. It's a pleasing colour for me, for some reason.
    i will look into that
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. So I just found out about Morten Veland's side project, Mortemia. One release so far. I'd never known about it. Reviews seem good, I'm going to check it out. Anyone else know of it?

One reviewer made me chuckle. "Why aren't you as good as Moonspell?". Indeed.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

morternia is pretty sweet and rather kvlt

Blackspell I just discovered this band from a place where metal is illegal
    SO KVVVVVLT
    My Metal Blog

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, it's essentially Sirenia without the poppy-girl vocals. Not that that isn't awesome. Cause it totally is.

Is it too early to start listing our favourite albums of the year?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, I'm in love with Surtur Rising, but I don't know if it's really my best of the year.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

i think its fine so i'll start

Back through time-Alestorm

this album is melodic and also the best thing ever and PIRATES

also
    new metallica EP out today of outtakes from Death Magnetic

I find some of the songs to be too long and lacking direction

thoughts everybody?
    (theres a review on my blog if you're interested)
    My Metal Blog

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

As of right now, Iconoclast - Symphony X followed closely by Dystopia - Iced Earth, but some sources have suggested that the second Control Denied album will finally be released on the 27th, so that could potentially still snag the top spot.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Today, I'll be listening for the most part purely to Death. Because, as I'm sure you all know :v, December 13, 2011 is the tenth anniversary of Chuck Schuldiner's death. The man was very inspirational to me, as a guitarist, as a lyricist, and as a person (as you can tell, because some of his lyrics are in my sig). Not much more I can say here. Today I am paying my respects to one of the greatest metal musicians of all time; hopefully everyone else here sees fit to do so as well, in their own way and however they like. You may not be a fan of Schuldiner's music with Death, but his...well, death, robbed the world of a brilliant metal musician, a powerful personality, and a great human being.
    Last edited by Comrade; 2011-12-13 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Let's see. Mine are:

Falkenbach - Tiurida. Been waiting like 6 years for this bastard and it didn't disappoint. It really has everything I ever wanted from Falkenbach. Some people might say it's repetitive, or derivative, but honestly I don't care. It's just too good.

Iced Earth - Dystopia. Pleasant surprise of the year. I didn't expect it to be good, but it really was. I almost won't miss Matt Barlow.

Midnattsol - Metamorphosis Melody. Mostly because it's so much better than their previous album. And I can't help it, but I really like this kind of music, heh.

Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa (I had to look it up to type that colossus of a title). At first I didn't like this one, but mostly I think that was because their previous albums were just so good. After a few replays though, I really like this one. In fact, I really like everything Moonsorrow does.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Today, I'll be listening for the most part purely to Death. Because, as I'm sure you all know :v, December 13, 2011 is the tenth anniversary of Chuck Schuldiner's death. The man was very inspirational to me, as a guitarist, as a lyricist, and as a person (as you can tell, because some of his lyrics are in my sig). Not much more I can say here. Today I am paying my respects to one of the greatest metal musicians of all time; hopefully everyone else here sees fit to do so as well, in their own way and however they like. You may not be a fan of Schuldiner's music with Death, but his...well, death, robbed the world of a brilliant metal musician, a powerful personality, and a great human being.
    And here I am, thinking I was alone in my "Death full immersion"... glad I was wrong.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see. Mine are:

Midnattsol - Metamorphosis Melody. Mostly because it's so much better than their previous album. And I can't help it, but I really like this kind of music, heh.
    this album is all kinds of awesome

on the Chuck Schuidiner thing here is the guitar world obituary
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Favourite Albums 2011?

For me there was:
    Disturbed - Asylum
    Destruction - Day of Reconning
    Sepultura - Kairos

Best gigs 2011 in no special order:
    at Wacken:
    Kreator
    Skindred
    Blind Guardian
    Knorkator
    Sepultura
    Onslaught

There might be more, but I am currently at work.
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2011-12-14 at 06:38 AM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll just leave this here then, the mighty Gene doing his thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nb1BZ5-D_v0
    If you don't grok it, drokk it!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

What's this I hear about a second Control Denied album? I am not a fan of Death, but Control Denied was awesome. I'm sad I didn't discover them until after Chuck Schuldiner's death, but I've enjoyed The Fragile Art of Existence for a long time. If there's more on the way, is it unfinished material from back before he died, or did the other band members decide to find somebody else and continue on?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    What's this I hear about a second Control Denied album? I am not a fan of Death, but Control Denied was awesome. I'm sad I didn't discover them until after Chuck Schuldiner's death, but I've enjoyed The Fragile Art of Existence for a long time. If there's more on the way, is it unfinished material from back before he died, or did the other band members decide to find somebody else and continue on?
    CONTROL DENIED Frontman Issues Update On Long-Awaited Second Album - Dec. 4, 2010
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I guess the new Nightwish album came out yesterday?

Who's interested? I kinda am.
    I discovered the fact yesterday while looking at a Christmas new releases advert for JBHIFI and have been listening to it on youtube a heck of a lot and have fast tracked it to my "buy this for Christmas, no questions" list.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet