New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    hmm
    i'm on step two then... on your chart that is

for me being kvlt is more of a viking metal thing, and there is no post viking metal so yeah...
    The chart isn't really about genres, more about bands and sounds. Most of the Viking Black Metal stuff would kind of fit on stage two though.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    The chart isn't really about genres, more about bands and sounds. Most of the Viking Black Metal stuff would kind of fit on stage two though.
    i understand what your version of the chart is nameless and i agree about the viking black metal stuff

but i feel that some genres get less weird than others

BM gets really screwed up, whereas viking stuff stays pretty tight to the name...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Rant on Sunn, Metallica rules, blah blah blah, controversial statement, blah blah blah.

I've been listening to some Motorhead and Diamond Head lately. Great bands. Good music. Even some Motley Crue, but whether you call that metal or just hard rock is up to you.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

You're not trve until you've gone through what I like to call "The Four Steps to being Kvlt".

- Firstly, you Listen to Black Metal. (Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal etc.) The stereotypical stuff.
    - Then, you start listening to good Black Metal, the underground stuff, the Kvlt stuff. You know, the bands no one really knows about unless you're in to Black Metal.
    - After this stage, you discover the Atmospheric, the Progressive and the Depressive Black Metal. The kind of songs that last for at least nine and a half minutes.
    - Then you reach the final step. This is where you finally grow up and become a trve kvlt pretentious douche. You listen to Post-Black Metal. the Avant Garde Black Metal, The Shoegazy stuff. The kind of music that get's labeled as Black Metal, but you're never quite sure why. But that doesn't matter, because while you sit in a dark room, listening to 20 minute songs with echoey guitars and dreamy vocals, which every so often gets interrupted by by blast beats, low quality screechy guitars and and distant screaming and hollering, you'll know (or at least feel) that you know all there is to know about Metal. Because you're listening to Post-Metal, so that makes it one step above.
    So, basically, if you listen to Alcest, then you're trve?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    Here's a good question: What is "trve" and "kvlt" and all these weird "v-but-no-vowels" terms?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe your tastes are just too casual to understand.

In other news, Dopesmoker* is getting both remastered and re-released on Southern Lord, including a bonus live rendition of Holy Mountain.

* droooooooooooooooop ouuuuuuuuuuuut of life
    with boooooooooooong innnnnnnnnnn haaaaaaaaaaaaaand
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-03-10 at 03:27 PM.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

If you come at it as a Black Metal fan, rather then a Shoegaze or Post-Rock fan, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Here's a good question: What is "trve" and "kvlt" and all these weird "v-but-no-vowels" terms?
    v = u in Latin.

It's just a term that a lot of the old pretentious Black Metal fans used to describe Black Metal that was "true", the gritty, underground stuff that only die-hard fans listened to. "Kvlt" in the same sense as a "cult" film.

These days, most people I know use it in a tongue-in-cheek manner. (including myself)
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-10 at 03:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

You're not trve until you've gone through what I like to call "The Four Steps to being Kvlt".

- Firstly, you Listen to Black Metal. (Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal etc.) The stereotypical stuff.
    - Then, you start listening to good Black Metal, the underground stuff, the Kvlt stuff. You know, the bands no one really knows about unless you're in to Black Metal.
    - After this stage, you discover the Atmospheric, the Progressive and the Depressive Black Metal. The kind of songs that last for at least nine and a half minutes.
    - Then you reach the final step. This is where you finally grow up and become a trve kvlt pretentious douche. You listen to Post-Black Metal. the Avant Garde Black Metal, The Shoegazy stuff. The kind of music that get's labeled as Black Metal, but you're never quite sure why. But that doesn't matter, because while you sit in a dark room, listening to 20 minute songs with echoey guitars and dreamy vocals, which every so often gets interrupted by by blast beats, low quality screechy guitars and and distant screaming and hollering, you'll know (or at least feel) that you know all there is to know about Metal. Because you're listening to Post-Metal, so that makes it one step above.
    what

Mayhem (when Euronymous was alive), especially Deathcrush, isn't stereotypical. It's ****ing amazing. Immortal is pretty good too, though I actually prefer Old Wainds for that kinda thing. Dimmu Borgir sucks I hate those choads. ]:< Step two seems kvlt, as long as you're talking about stuff like Moonblood demos and LLN stuff. I don't know where you're getting steps 3/4 from. Alcest is about as far as you can get from kvlt. God I hate like 75% of his music. I hope Shyy and all those other band-wagon riders die in a fire when the fad ends and the wagon flies off a cliff.

It's just a term that a lot of the old pretentious Black Metal fans used to describe Black Metal that was "true", the gritty, underground stuff that only die-hard fans listened to. "Kvlt" in the same sense as a "cult" film.

These days, most people I know use it in a tongue-in-cheek manner. (including myself)
    I use it semi-seriously. I love "kvlt" black metal, both old school stuff like the Norway bands, LLN, Archgoat, Beherit's demos, Havohej/Profanatica, all that good stuff, and newer raw bands like Baptism or whatever.

I've never been a viking/black person but I tend to like most modes of BM, largely because I think of BM as inherently experimental or semi-experimental and enjoy listening to its variations, presuming they're good.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    what

Mayhem (when Euronymous was alive), especially Deathcrush, isn't stereotypical. It's ****ing amazing.
    i think he means "Stereotypical" in the sense that they're one of the first black metal bands you get into...
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Troll in the Playground

Oh. I find a lot of people don't get into the old school Norwegian bands first because they tend to be rawer or more challenging to listen to or understand. People tend to go for melodic or symphonic stuff.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #701
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Oh. I find a lot of people don't get into the old school Norwegian bands first because they tend to be rawer or more challenging to listen to or understand. People tend to go for melodic or symphonic stuff.
    THIS. I don't know anyone who starts listening to BM through Mayhem, or Bathory, or Celtic Frost. They'll start with Emperor (if they're awesome), or, more likely, either Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth. Just like nobody starts listening to extreme metal through Venom, even though chronologically, that would make the most sense. People get introduced to styles of metal through bands that are the most accessible; most metal fans will be introduced to screamed/growled vocals through metalcore or Nu Metal (or possibly Amon Amarth), long before they discover the creators of the vocal style.

Of course, there are exceptions...

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

what

Mayhem (when Euronymous was alive), especially Deathcrush, isn't stereotypical. It's ****ing amazing. Immortal is pretty good too, though I actually prefer Old Wainds for that kinda thing. Dimmu Borgir sucks I hate those choads. ]:< Step two seems kvlt, as long as you're talking about stuff like Moonblood demos and LLN stuff. I don't know where you're getting steps 3/4 from. Alcest is about as far as you can get from kvlt. God I hate like 75% of his music. I hope Shyy and all those other band-wagon riders die in a fire when the fad ends and the wagon flies off a cliff.
    Well, firstly, I said it was stereotypical, not bad.

Secondly, saying that about Mayhem and Immortal followed by what you said about about Dimmu Borgir and Alcest makes you sound like a bit of a hypocrite. Just sayin'.

Thirdly, That post was meant to be humorous, not serious.

i think he means "Stereotypical" in the sense that they're one of the first black metal bands you get into...
    Kinda. Also because it's the kind of sound most people associate with Black Metal and understand to be Black Metal.
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the 90's Norwegian stuff. Mayhem had a few songs I liked though.

True. But it is the first Black Metal sound 90% of people hear of first and understand to be Black Metal (at least from what I've seen). Which is why so many Metalheads I speak to are put off by Black Metal very quickly, including myself at first. After a few years, I listened to some more Mayhem and found a couple of songs that I liked and got into a couple of the more "mainstream" BM bands. Over all though, I didn't like BM for a very long time. Sienbenburgen and Mirzedah were the bands who got me in to the genre more heavily. After a while I discovered the atmospheric and progressive stuff. Then I started listening to Depressive Black Metal and got into the more Avant Garde side of the genre, that's about when I got in to the Post-Black metal sound and the Shoegazy stuff.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-11 at 04:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ogre in the Playground

THIS. I don't know anyone who starts listening to BM through Mayhem, or Bathory, or Celtic Frost. They'll start with Emperor (if they're awesome), or, more likely, either Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth. Just like nobody starts listening to extreme metal through Venom, even though chronologically, that would make the most sense. People get introduced to styles of metal through bands that are the most accessible; most metal fans will be introduced to screamed/growled vocals through metalcore or Nu Metal (or possibly Amon Amarth), long before they discover the creators of the vocal style.

I started my path into DM with motor head and venom :P,

those are actually bands my dad really digs (he's into early 80s metal) so he got me into them and slowly as i looked for something more brutal i got into some of the melodeath and viking gods

i think it makes more sense to start at the beginning in a general sense though. For example Death is not really as heavy as Revocation. So it would make more sense for me if somebody got into Death first and then Revocation. Venom, is a lot easier to get into than Mayhem because Venom is nowhere near as heavy! i dig what you said about metalcore and nu metal though and i do think some people do get into metal thataway.
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #704
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I started my path into DM with motor head and venom :P,

those are actually bands my dad really digs (he's into early 80s metal) so he got me into them and slowly as i looked for something more brutal i got into some of the melodeath and viking gods

i think it makes more sense to start at the beginning in a general sense though. For example Death is not really as heavy as Revocation. So it would make more sense for me if somebody got into Death first and then Revocation. Venom, is a lot easier to get into than Mayhem because Venom is nowhere near as heavy! i dig what you said about metalcore and nu metal though and i do think some people do get into metal thataway.
    Like I said, some exceptions. Like, I got into metal through Iron Maiden, but it wasn't until I discovered Killswitch Engage *shudder* that I actually became accustomed to screamed vocals.

Also, your dad is awesome

15. - Top - End - #705
    Troll in the Playground

Like I said, some exceptions. Like, I got into metal through Iron Maiden, but it wasn't until I discovered Killswitch Engage *shudder* that I actually became accustomed to screamed vocals.
    Killswitch Engage almost turned me off of harsh vocals forever. I first heard their cover butchering of "Holy Diver" just a few months after Dio died and was not amused. Fortunately I got into Dream Theater later that summer when I found out they were opening for Maiden, which led to me discovering and enjoying Opeth. Still, even though I really liked the growls, I was enjoying Opeth more as a Prog Metal fan than a DM fan. It was hearing Death's cover of "Painkiller," and subsequently youtubing through the rest of The Sound of Perseverance that really got me into DM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

My first black metal band was Emperor! Anthems, specifically. Not very fond of that album now, but everything before it is still pretty fantastic to me. It took me a while to *get* BM though. Like, all I listened to was Emperor and Naglfar, and then somewhere along the line I found myself listening to LLN demos and Peste Noire, and the rest is herstory. :B

Also, the exceptions are often people who grew up in the 80s and 90s. :B

Well, firstly, I said it was stereotypical, not bad.

Secondly, saying that about Mayhem and Immortal followed by what you said about about Dimmu Borgir and Alcest makes you sound like a bit of a hypocrite. Just sayin'.
    I thought you meant "stereotypical" in a bad way. Mah bahd.

How is that hypocritical though? I think Mayhem/Immortal are/were good and Demon Burger and Alcest aren't. :B Well, Le Secret is pretty great, but his full lengths have each been disappointing for me. Every time it's like half good songs, half bad songs. Also, I'm less frustrated with Alcest and more with this BS "blackgaze" fad. I hate fads. I take everything too seriously grrrr.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

How is that hypocritical though? I think Mayhem/Immortal are/were good and Demon Burger and Alcest aren't. :B Well, Le Secret is pretty great, but his full lengths have each been disappointing for me. Every time it's like half good songs, half bad songs. Also, I'm less frustrated with Alcest and more with this BS "blackgaze" fad. I hate fads. I take everything too seriously grrrr.
    The comment about the Alcest and the everyone jumping the bandwagon makes you sound like a bit of a hypocrite because you could say the exact same thing about all the Norwegian stuff and the Black Metal you listen to. You say you hate "fads", but all that stuff is just as much of a "fad" as this Blackgaze business.

There was a reason the the Dimmu Borgir part of my comment... I just can't... remember... what...

Sorry, I nitpick the crap out of hypocrisy, it's something left over my my teen angst years.

Also, have you listened to Alcest's new album by any chance? It's his best work yet in my opinion, even better then Le Secret. Nice blend of dreamy dream and screamy scream.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-03-11 at 12:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ogre in the Playground

i forgot to mention that i also got into DM doing unsigned reviews of bands for my blog, really two guys is what turned me into a Hard(er)core metalhead

from there i started to develop an appreciation of screams...
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #709
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My first black metal band was Emperor! Anthems, specifically. Not very fond of that album now, but everything before it is still pretty fantastic to me. It took me a while to *get* BM though. Like, all I listened to was Emperor and Naglfar
    Exactly the same for me. I listened to Anthems and Naglfar's Pariah for the longest time before actually getting into BM. Also Impaled Nazarene, specifically Pro Patria Finlandia.

It wasn't until I listened to Transylvanian Hunger and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss that I really started understanding what Black Metal was, and it was all uphill from there.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

The comment about the Alcest and the everyone jumping the bandwagon makes you sound like a bit of a hypocrite because you could say the exact same thing about all the Norwegian stuff and the Black Metal you listen to. You say you hate "fads", but all that stuff is just as much of a "fad" as this Blackgaze business.

There was a reason the the Dimmu Borgir part of my comment... I just can't... remember... what...

Sorry, I nitpick the crap out of hypocrisy, it's something left over my my teen angst years.

Also, have you listened to Alcest's new album by any chance? It's his best work yet in my opinion, even better then Le Secret. Nice blend of dreamy dream and screamy scream.
    Black metal wasn't a fad in the beginning, and has never been, on the whole, as a genre, a fad. Sure there are faddy bands, or bands that try really hard to immitate a specific sound, which is where a lot of "industrial" or "avant-garde" BM comes from, but black metal isn't. It's beginnings were incredibly diverse. Listen to first wave bands like Bathory and Sarcófago, and then the early to mid 90s work of bands like Mayhem, Darkthrone, Ildjarn, Burzum, Beherit, Sigh, Mutiilation, Black Funeral or Havohej. Sure, all those bands are black metal, but from the start it was a very (I'd dare say) individualistic and avant-garde genre of music, that has since both proliferated and stayed solid. You still have bands like Sargeist, who play a more traditional black metal sound, and also bands like Deathspell Omega, that have pushed the envelope of the genre much more. You have small labels that specialize in black metal and will release tapes and vinyl and CDrs with crappy and cheap inserts despite how completely unprofitable that is, and you have fans who will buy that stuff. Canadian black metal fans will mail well hidden cash to Polish distros to get a cassette mailed to them. That's the thing about cult genres, they have a specific sound that remains present over time despite expansions within the genre, and a very dedicated fan and artist base that will operate underground for no reason other than the music. You see it with hardcore punk or extreme industrial as well.

It all comes down to this: black metal, extreme punk, extreme industrial, and other cult genres are going to be alive decades from now. People will still be listening to Discharge and Darkthrone and Whitehouse and Amebix and Throbbing Gristle and Mayhem, and they'll still be making black metal and power electronics and noise and crust punk. In ten years, there's still going to be a black metal tape trade, and people recording black metal with cheap equipment in their basements, while Alcest and the wannabes trying to keep a firm grip on Neige's coat tails are going to be replaced by the Next Big Thing.

Also, I've listened to everything Neige released under Alcest except the remix of Le Secret, the split with Les Discrets and the "Autre Temps" edit. The new Alcest had the same thing for me. The first few songs were great, then it became yawn-inducing, it left my iPod, and I went back to enjoying Burzum. :B

Exactly the same for me. I listened to Anthems and Naglfar's Pariah for the longest time before actually getting into BM. Also Impaled Nazarene, specifically Pro Patria Finlandia.
    Holy balls. Are you me? Anthems and Pariah were the two albums I listened to. How is Pro Patria Finlandia by the way? It really has a creepy right wing feel, and I got past that with Peste Noire, but I dunno if it's worth the bother for IN because they never seem to be considered seminal.

It wasn't until I listened to Transylvanian Hunger and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss that I really started understanding what Black Metal was, and it was all uphill from there.
    When I was an entry level black metal listener, I didn't get Darkthrone and Burzum. When I revisited them upon having "gotten" black metal, I realized their genius.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #711
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lets see, my metal timeline...

As Cities Burn (Prog Rock)
    Demon Hunter (Metalcore)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Symphonic Power Metal)
    As Citeis Burn (Post-Hardcore(Same band, different time period))
    Crimson Moonlight (Deathened Black Metal)
    Symphony X (Symhonic/Prog Power Metal)
    Theocracy (Prog Power Metal)
    Blind Guardian (Symphonic Power Metal)
    Haste the Day (Metalcore)
    Fallstar (Metalcore)
    Slechtvalk (Symphonic Black Metal)
    Holy Blood (Folk Metal)

Seems like a very natural and typical progression to me.
    Also known as Jarbis

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    Lets see, my metal timeline...

As Cities Burn (Prog Rock)
    Demon Hunter (Metalcore)
    Rhapsody of Fire (Symphonic Power Metal)
    As Citeis Burn (Post-Hardcore(Same band, different time period))
    Crimson Moonlight (Deathened Black Metal)
    Symphony X (Symhonic/Prog Power Metal)
    Theocracy (Prog Power Metal)
    Blind Guardian (Symphonic Power Metal)
    Haste the Day (Metalcore)
    Fallstar (Metalcore)
    Slechtvalk (Symphonic Black Metal)
    Holy Blood (Folk Metal)

Seems like a very natural and typical progression to me.
    Going through all those bands, that's a very solid list. Mine is less so. It's basically "Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, rinse, repeat". I just can't enjoy any other metal, because it's "unpleasant". I don't know what words to describe, but there's a difference between unpleasant songs, and unpleasant band members. You'd be intimidated to meet a member of a band, for sure, but you'd be less frightened if they didn't wear makeup onstage, didn't defecate onstage, etc. Sure, makeup's a part of the effect, but I don't think anyone can have a conversation with Ozzy Osbourne, and walk away calling it "perfectly normal" and "totally sane". Joey Belladonna might seem quite a bit friendlier.

Oh, and Dave Mustaine is a pretty nice guy, from what I've seen. He's even been on Jeopardy. He knows his Elton John.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

I listen to bands' music. I don't hang out with them at the near by coffee shop.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

I listen to bands' music. I don't hang out with them at the near by coffee shop.
    My point is that I don't like bands that try to be "gritty" and "hardcore", and essentially go way over the top. I tend to stray from a lot of bands, even Slayer, for those reasons.

Besides, I'm allowed to have my own opinions. Besides, I actually saw Mustaine in Seattle before Gigantour. Smiling. What are the odds?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Troll in the Playground

It's part of the art. Anyway, when it gets to the point where one of your musical releases is named [/i]Children's Pornography Review Vol. I[/i], you're basically inured to anything that can be thrown at you.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

It's part of the art. Anyway, when it gets to the point where one of your musical releases is named [/i]Children's Pornography Review Vol. I[/i], you're basically inured to anything that can be thrown at you.
    I understand the art. And I know that art takes someone who can understand it to appreciate it. I can't understand one form of art, but I can another (this is why I perceive Roger Ebert to be a shriveled up old prune).

27. - Top - End - #717
    Troll in the Playground

Roger Ebert is a really perceptive and intelligent movie critic. I find I often agree with his views. Doesn't mean he's perfect, and I think his anti-video-games-as-art argument was at least relatively reasonable.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Roger Ebert is a really perceptive and intelligent movie critic. I find I often agree with his views. Doesn't mean he's perfect, and I think his anti-video-games-as-art argument was at least relatively reasonable.
    I'll think of it as "barely reasonable" when he makes his way to a controller for the first time in his undeath. In the meantime, he's basically beating down a show he doesn't watch.

But this isn't about Ebert, even though I brought up the topic. Back to rants about why I only like a little under 12 bands.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    My point is that I don't like bands that try to be "gritty" and "hardcore", and essentially go way over the top. I tend to stray from a lot of bands, even Slayer, for those reasons.
    The thing is, for every band that acts "gritty" and "hardcore" to fit an image, there's another that's just genuinely made up of... uh, for lack of a better word, interesting people. If you put Zombie Seth Putnam, Varg, Steven O'Malley, Matt Pike, and let's say Steve Albini in a room, I think that'd be enough weird in one place to curdle milk.

...I am aware Steve Albini is not metal. I just think the image of him in a room with those guys'd be hilarious.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    The thing is, for every band that acts "gritty" and "hardcore" to fit an image, there's another that's just genuinely made up of... uh, for lack of a better word, interesting people. If you put Zombie Seth Putnam, Varg, Steven O'Malley, Matt Pike, and let's say Steve Albini in a room, I think that'd be enough weird in one place to curdle milk.
    I don't see how that could possibly end poorly. Maybe next year?