New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Favorite black metal vocalists (no order):
    Oh man, I totally overlooked Famine. Was fascinated by Arioch - vomiting words indeed! Gonna look into Mgła, too.

Neige really is a great black metal vocals, you're right. It's a shame he doesn't use his harsh vocals as much now. Also that his song writing post-Le Secret/Ruines Humaines has gotten hit-or-miss as ****.
    Now I won't agree on the 'hit-or-miss' songwriting (to each their own and all that), but I will admit that it's a damn shame he doesn't use his harsh vocals very much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    also... I GOT INTO MOTORHEAD THROUGH HAWKWIND!
    pfft, losers who don't have their classic rock chops up i'm teasin ya
    hawkwind is pretty awesome though...
    Whoa whoa whoa... first Swans and now Hawkwind? Gotta say I'm impressed, man.

I didn't know the two bands were connected for the longest time until one day while I was listening to "Lost Johnny", I thought, 'Boy, that sounds uncannily like Lemmy...' A quick trip to the internet later and my mind was blown.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

In general I am not one for thrash, and find that old school thrash really doesn't do it for me. In general I'm a lot less fond of old school metal that pre-dates old school black and death metal. Artillery's By Inheritence is the only thrash album I think I truly, truly love. Such a good album.
    fair enough my good man

also
    IMPORTANT: I am writing a 20 page essay for school on the history of metal, if anyone knows of a killer metal quote for my introduction i would be SOOOO grateful!
    Last edited by grimbold; 2012-03-24 at 05:54 AM.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

fair enough my good man

also
    IMPORTANT: I am writing a 20 page essay for school on the history of metal, if anyone knows of a killer metal quote for my introduction i would be SOOOO grateful!
    "Metal is a way of life. I have been metal for many years, only I did not know about it."
    ~Christopher Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    And every second y'all spend arguing over it is a second you wasted on not listening to either.

:v
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Listening as I type.
    You must be the worst multitasker ever, Comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Oh man, I totally overlooked Famine. Was fascinated by Arioch - vomiting words indeed! Gonna look into Mgła, too.
    Arioch is also Marduk's current vocalist, but I don't really care about Marduck. Funeral Mist, on the other hand, is one of my favorite bands. I highly suggest Salvation. I reviewed Mgła's latest album recently. You can find it on metal archives. They are a top quality band. Their best three releases are the Mdłości EP (which was rereleased with the Further Down the Nest EP), Groza and the new one, With Hearts Toward None. Top quality, seriously.

Now I won't agree on the 'hit-or-miss' songwriting (to each their own and all that), but I will admit that it's a damn shame he doesn't use his harsh vocals very much anymore.
    His dualing vocals with Famine on "Dueil Angoisseus (Christine De Pisan, 1362-1431)" is one of my favorite moments in the history of black metal. As far as hit-or-miss, it seems that for every good song he writes, he writes a boring one (IMO, of course). All of the Alcest albums have been half-good, half-bad and the Amesoeurs album was a mix of great moments with some disappointing or confusing ones (seriously, why is "I XIII V XIX XV V XXI XVIII XIX – IX XIX – IV V I IV" even on that album?). I still enjoy Amesoeurs, but it's not as solid overall as Ruines Humaines, and I think Tristesse Hivernale and Le Secret are superior to his shoegaze work. Plus he ruined Lantlôs. Lantlôs was good, but .Neon put me to sleep.

At some point I think I might make a playlist of the Alcest songs I like, so I can just listen to those. lolz

fair enough my good man

also
    My good queer, or my good woman would probably be better.

As far as metal quotes, why don't you look through songs about metal to find one? I only know black metal ones (e.g. "Unholy Black Metal), but I'm sure you could find some more suiting heavy/thrash ones.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Yep. If I try typing whilst listening to muif you like to gamble I tell you I'm your man, you win some lose some it's all the same to mesic, suffice to say my attention gets all divided and Ithe pleasure is the play, makes no difference what you say can't focus on what I'm typing.
    How on Earth am I the worst multitasker? I'm listening to No Lif 'Til Leather, and typing this at the same time. If anything, I'm one of the better multitaskers, no matter what anyone says.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

How on Earth am I the worst multitasker? I'm listening to No Lif 'Til Leather, and typing this at the same time. If anything, I'm one of the better multitaskers, no matter what anyone says.
    ...Pretty sure they said Comrade is the worst multitasker...

Also, if your paper is going to include a black metal section (how could it not?), then "Black Metal ist krieg" would be a great quote to start that with. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by cleric_of_BANJO; 2012-03-24 at 02:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    ...Pretty sure they said Comrade is the worst multitasker...
    Ah, didn't catch that. Oh well. I'm going to be at ComiCon in two weeks, so maybe there'll be some nerdy metal bands playing there. There usually are.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    "Metal is a way of life. I have been metal for many years, only I did not know about it."
    ~Christopher Lee
    Thats is really cool
    And i will use it

But i need something more for starting an essay

Like a definition of metal from a. Metal god
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Troll in the Playground

"If you think you are too old to rock 'n roll then you are." - Lemmy

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you think you are too old to rock 'n roll then you are." - Lemmy
    Faulty, that is pretty brilliant
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #821

As far as metal quotes, why don't you look through songs about metal to find one? I only know black metal ones (e.g. "Unholy Black Metal), but I'm sure you could find some more suiting heavy/thrash ones.
    If he were going to do that, he absolutely needs to quote Dream Evil
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Oo
    So beautiful...
    My Metal Blog

13. - Top - End - #823
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

A most amazing Band
    He only won because he didn't die first...

14. - Top - End - #824

This band is... Really cool.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

also
    Joey DeMaio has a bucketload of fun quotes you can use. My favourite is:

"If you're not into Metal, you're not my friend."
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Joey DeMaio has a bucketload of fun quotes you can use. My favourite is:

"If you're not into Metal, you're not my friend."
    *has never read something that has so well refkected his lifevphilosophy*
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

New Heidevolk album out. Sounds like it could be good.

Also I've been trying to read up on Moonspell's next release, but there's nothing. Just the tentative release date of 17 April. It's weird.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

New Heidevolk album out. Sounds like it could be good.

Also I've been trying to read up on Moonspell's next release, but there's nothing. Just the tentative release date of 17 April. It's weird.
    new heidevolk?

WHY DID NO ONE INFORM ME OF THIS?
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #829

Yeah, it is pretty strange. But I am still looking forward to it.

Speaking of upcoming albums

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

Thrash covers are amazing. I love KISS, don't get me wrong; I just love a cover in a new genre by a more favored band (my opinion!) more.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it is pretty strange. But I am still looking forward to it.
    Word.

Speaking of covers, I just realised last night for the first time that Tiamat's Sympathy for the Devil is a cover of the actual Rolling Stones song, just really really different. And this after listening to Tiamat for over 8 years, and to the Stones for almost 15 years. it was... bizarre.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

Thrash covers are amazing. I love KISS, don't get me wrong; I just love a cover in a new genre by a more favored band (my opinion!) more.
    wow.
    It must have passed a decade since the last time I listened to Attack of the killer b's...
    So, thrash covers? in this moment, i recall only These boots, by Megadeth. I'll think on it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Anarchy in the U.K. (U.S.A.?!) What a bizarre cover.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of covers, I just realised last night for the first time that Tiamat's Sympathy for the Devil is a cover of the actual Rolling Stones song, just really really different. And this after listening to Tiamat for over 8 years, and to the Stones for almost 15 years. it was... bizarre.
    *reassuring pat*
    My Metal Blog

25. - Top - End - #835
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED THIS YET?!?!?!

Specifically the part that says:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer."

Yeah. This is happening.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED THIS YET?!?!?!

Specifically the part that says:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer."

Yeah. This is happening.
    I might be jumping to conclusions over the mere pluralization of the word 'album', but my mind went straight to 'double album'. And I do like double albums.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

27. - Top - End - #837
    Troll in the Playground

It took him long enough to get off his lazy ass and make that. Anyway, Wintersun was wildly overrated, so I don't think I'll be holding my breath. Also in before it's released in summer 2015.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

what is this wintersun you speak of?

*hopes he doesn't come off as unkvlt*
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Are you serious? I figured you'd be all over Wintersun. It's a project of Jari Mäenpää's, Ensiferum's former vocalist. Started out as just him and a drummer, but it's evolved into a full band, though as far as I know, it's wholly his project. It's a similar sort of viking/power/death metal blendocalypse as Ensiferum, but without Ensiferum's folk aspects, and with a lyrical/thematic focus on winter in general over viking shenanigans. I think it's overhyped in general, but "Winter Madness" is one of the best metal songs I've heard, and the solo is incredible. You should give the whole thing a listen.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-03-30 at 01:09 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #840
    Barbarian in the Playground

One of my friends posted this on FaceBook today. It's a graph that shows roughly the number of metal bands per 100,000 people per country. Nothing too ground breaking, though both Canada and Australia have higher percentages than I would have guessed. Kinda neat to look at, I think.

Spoiler
    Show