New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Are you serious? I figured you'd be all over Wintersun. It's a project of Jari Mäenpää's, Ensiferum's former vocalist. Started out as just him and a drummer, but it's evolved into a full band, though as far as I know, it's wholly his project. It's a similar sort of viking/power/death metal blendocalypse as Ensiferum, but without Ensiferum's folk aspects, and with a lyrical/thematic focus on winter in general over viking shenanigans. I think it's overhyped in general, but "Winter Madness" is one of the best metal songs I've heard, and the solo is incredible. You should give the whole thing a listen.
    holy ****ing ****

i think i just had a metalgasm

faulty this is amazing!

another thing to add to this frabjous day NEW SLAYER

on the topic of the map thing
    i'm pretty sure france is lower than that and the phillipines probably a bit higher...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Huh, I thought Brazil had a larger metal scene than suggested by that image.
    Fan fact: like, 60% of all Brazilian metal bands are NSBM.  ̄\(。_°)/ ̄

Also lol Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    holy ****ing ****

i think i just had a metalgasm

faulty this is amazing!

another thing to add to this frabjous day NEW SLAYER

on the topic of the map thing
    i'm pretty sure france is lower than that and the phillipines probably a bit higher...
    I figured Wintersun would give you the warm fuzzies. Like I said, I think it's overhyped, but it's still a very good album and will probably be right up your alley. If you have the money, it'd be a good purchase.

Also, France has a pretty bustling BM scene.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ogre in the Playground

I figured Wintersun would give you the warm fuzzies. Like I said, I think it's overhyped, but it's still a very good album and will probably be right up your alley. If you have the money, it'd be a good purchase.

Also, France has a pretty bustling BM scene.
    Sure but the majority is post black
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Haha, no way. People just think that because Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord are from France. Even post-LLN, there's a bunch of raw and non-post bands in France.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha, no way. People just think that because Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord are from France. Even post-LLN, there's a bunch of raw and non-post bands in France.
    all i know of is glorior belli (who are kvlt to the MAX)

suggestions?

specifically symph black which is so my thing!
    My Metal Blog

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Glorior Belli have been playing like... southern black metal recently, which isn't hugely kvlt.

Of course most of my favorite French black metal is so raw it's barely comprehensable (), but some stuff you might like:

Anorexia Nervosa's New Obscurantis Order and The Redemption Process are both very symphonic. I'm usually not a symphonic BM fan, but I find those albums very enjoyable. Mystic Forest's Romances is a gorgeous album. It's not really symphonic, it's rather very classical and the backing instrumentation (accordians and piano and such) reminds me of chanteur/chanteuse music. Again, not actually symphonic, but La Rumeur des Chaînes' eponymous EP might be something you'd enjoy. Melodic and jazzy.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Glorior Belli have been playing like... southern black metal recently, which isn't hugely kvlt.

Of course most of my favorite French black metal is so raw it's barely comprehensable (), but some stuff you might like:

Anorexia Nervosa's New Obscurantis Order and The Redemption Process are both very symphonic. I'm usually not a symphonic BM fan, but I find those albums very enjoyable. Mystic Forest's Romances is a gorgeous album. It's not really symphonic, it's rather very classical and the backing instrumentation (accordians and piano and such) reminds me of chanteur/chanteuse music. Again, not actually symphonic, but La Rumeur des Chaînes' eponymous EP might be something you'd enjoy. Melodic and jazzy.
    thank you very much faulty!

also

i noticed you do reviews and whatnot
    wanna guest post on my blog?
    My Metal Blog

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

I'm taking a break from reviewing temporarily. Thanks for the offer though.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

9. - Top - End - #849
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Huh, I thought Brazil had a larger metal scene than suggested by that image.

On the other hand I am immensely disappointed that there are apparently no Somalian metal bands.
    Brazil is probably hurt by its very large population. And me and one of my friends have decided to move to central Africa and start a metal band to help out their numbers.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    Brazil is probably hurt by its very large population. And me and one of my friends have decided to move to central Africa and start a metal band to help out their numbers.
    well yeah
    half of brazl is farly wealthy the other half is poor as dirt...

nice idea about central africa though
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Anyone else seen Metal Archives' April Fools prank yet? It's quite amusing, though it only took me about a minute to figure out.

Spoiler
    Show

It also happens to be an exact copy of the Megaupload notice, which is where I'm assuming they got the image from.

And if you want to access the site,
    Spoiler
    Show
    just double click on the banner.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

half of brazl is farly wealthy the other half is poor as dirt...
    Welcome to everywhere.

Also, I read about the MA prank before using MA, so it was spoiled for me.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

i'm going on a big trip and need new music to keep me entertained
    so you guys know my likes and interests

What do i get?
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Janvs (Vega) and Limbonic Art (Moon in the Scorpio) might appeal.

By the way, out of curiosity (given the conversation about metal bands per capita), I went through my last.fm tags. I always tag black metal bands by nation as well as simply as "black metal". This represents my own taste, but still.

Countries most tagged: US (61), France (50), and Norway (30).
    Countries least tagged: South Korea, Iran, and Brazil (all tied at 2), Kyrgyzstan, Estonia, Monaco, Israel, Ireland, Belgium, Argentina, Scotland, Romania, and Turkey (all tied at 1).

Of course, I know of/have more music by other bands from those countries (e.g. Goatpenis are from Brazil and Altar of Plagues are from Ireland, but I've yet to listen to them, and thus haven't tagged them), but that's what I have tagged anyway. I actually don't have any African black metal tagged, though I do have an album from a South African BM band. I imagine Egypt has some BM bands...
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-01 at 03:13 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

If we're talking about black metal from weird countries, Al-Namrood are an interesting one - they're Saudi black metal. Some of the keyboards can get a bit cheesy, but they're capable of sounding damn good at times.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

16. - Top - End - #856
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    The problem with that is, then you'd be living in central Africa...

I actually don't have any African black metal tagged, though I do have an album from a South African BM band.
    Do tell.

It's not Azrail, is it? Cause they're... not so good.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks for the suggestions faulty!

also
    listening to alcest today... something clicked I LOVE THAT BAND NOW!
    My Metal Blog

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

The Middle East actually has a bunch of bands. I've heard BM from Bahrain, Israel, Iran, Iraq, etc. It's pretty cool really.

As for as the SA band, it's Wildernessking.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

Checked out Wintersun. It's surprisingly good. Hell, I like it more than Ensiferum.

also
    listening to alcest today... something clicked I LOVE THAT BAND NOW!
    I've always had a soft spot for that more melancholy sound. Alcest does that brilliantly. My only peeve is that we don't hear more of Neige's screams. That man has got an inhuman voice.

As for as the SA band, it's Wildernessking.
    Oh hey, I know of them. I've never had the chance to listen to them though. Let me know what you think when you do.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure I'll get around to it anytime soon, haha. It's not on my shortlist right now. I particularly have a lot of noise, power electronics, death industrial, industrial, neofolk, martial industrial, experimental and all that good stuff to listen to, because I'm going to start experimenting with industrial myself.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #861
    Troll in the Playground

's cool. My industrial pile is also distressingly small. I'm more a fan of electroindustrial myself, wumpscut and stuff.

New Axel Rudi Pell out. Should be interesting to hear. I really liked Kings and Queens. Nice straightforward old school heavy metal.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Orc in the Playground

By the way, out of curiosity (given the conversation about metal bands per capita), I went through my last.fm tags. I always tag black metal bands by nation as well as simply as "black metal". This represents my own taste, but still.

Countries most tagged: US (61), France (50), and Norway (30).
    Countries least tagged: South Korea, Iran, and Brazil (all tied at 2), Kyrgyzstan, Estonia, Monaco, Israel, Ireland, Belgium, Argentina, Scotland, Romania, and Turkey (all tied at 1).
    That's funny, I do the exact same thing on my RYM account, specifically with black metal as well. My numbers by comparison would be skewed because I tag them by the album and don't wait until I've listened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    If we're talking about black metal from weird countries, Al-Namrood are an interesting one - they're Saudi black metal. Some of the keyboards can get a bit cheesy, but they're capable of sounding damn good at times.
    Looked up a few more of their songs. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ever heard of the AAIL? They're essentially the Middle Eastern version of the LLN or the fabled Black Metal Inner Circle, led by Anahita of the one-woman-black-metal band Janaza (see Related Links on that page). As far as I've heard from their bands, it's pretty terrible music, but the Legion is very interesting on a cultural level.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    That's funny, I do the exact same thing on my RYM account, specifically with black metal as well. My numbers by comparison would be skewed because I tag them by the album and don't wait until I've listened to them.

Looked up a few more of their songs. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ever heard of the AAIL? They're essentially the Middle Eastern version of the LLN or the fabled Black Metal Inner Circle, led by Anahita of the one-woman-black-metal band Janaza (see Related Links on that page). As far as I've heard from their bands, it's pretty terrible music, but the Legion is very interesting on a cultural level.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize she was connected to the scene in greater. I've actually listened to her before but don't have her tagged because it was on my iPod. I remember thinking of her EP as favorable but it's been at least a year.

I can't be arsed to tag every band I enter into my library, so I just wait until I listen to them.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmn... Saxon are playing at my uni!!!

25. - Top - End - #865
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    WHY HAS NOBODY MENTIONED THIS YET?!?!?!

Specifically the part that says:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer."

Yeah. This is happening.
    Somehow I knew you were talking about Wintersun before I even checked the link. I can't imagine anyone getting that excited over a new album unless it's been 8 years in the making.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #866

I don't know if I have posted about them before, but does anyone know Disillusion?

Two albums, first one more on the melodeath side of things, second one definitely progressive.

Samples:
    Album #1 - Back To Times Of Splendor
    Back To Times Of Splendor
    Alone I Stand In Fires
    And The Mirror Cracked

Album #2 - Gloria
    Don't Go Any Further
    Too Many Broken Cease Fires
    Aerophobic

I find the first one to be enjoyable and somewhat fresh, but nothing too special.
    The second one, on the other hand, took me about a year until I finally found access to it, and since I think it's great.

What's your take?

27. - Top - End - #867
    Troll in the Playground

Back to Times of Splendor is on my list of non-black metal, non-industrial/power electronics/death industrial/noise/neofolk/martial industrial/ambient/experimental albums (I require 3 favorite lists...), so, disclaimer.

For starters, it's not really melodeath (if we're defining melodeath in terms of the Gothenburg tradition). Back to Times of Splendor is melodic, yes, but at its core it's a very progressive take on death metal. They write technical riffs that don't come off as technical in the tech-death-masturbatory way, and incorporate them into well written, often long songs that have excellent keyboard touches (the bridge of "...And the Mirror Cracked" and the chorus of "Back to Times of Splendor" omg). That album is damn incredibly.

I love Gloria, however, too. A lot of people hated it when it came out. I was actually expecting something similar to earlier stuff and then it came in the mail and I was like wut. A lot of people were all THEY HAVE BETRAYED US, but I agree that it is quite good. It's very interesting, and well handled, and it's nice to see them do what they want, especially given that Splendor and The Porter really exemplified their earlier sound quite well. "Avalanche" is probably my favorite on that album. The way the tremolo picked riffs build on one-another. Oh my, so wonderful.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

28. - Top - End - #868

Yeah, I could have said it was melodeath-ish, but I don't define melodeath by the gothenburg sound. That one is just the most prevalent and widely known, but not all melodeath is of that school.

And yeah, the fan reactions to Gloria... It wasn't too accessible, I'll grant that, but it's definietly not a betrayal. Avalanche is great, but the whole "order from chaos"-part in Aerophobic makes me like that song most on the album. That song is pretty much a story of "the path to enlightenment" told through songwriting.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

I differentiate between melodeath (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, etc.) and melodic death metal (Disillusion, for example).

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #870
    Orc in the Playground

So I'm probably the only one 'round here who cares what Ihsahn is doing these days, but in case I'm not, his fourth solo album is coming (June 19th)! I like how he decided continue using the Saxophoning talents of Shining's Jorgen Munkeby.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym