New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

I think that's pretty hard to quantify or prove one way or another. In the pre-internet days, it was excruciatingly difficult to make it in music without a dedicated fanbase (or a ton of cash...) and dedicated fanbases blend into scenes pretty seamlessly.

I could point to the Rhode Island noise scene; it's not a direct comparison, but it was a small number of bands playing a style of music possibly even more abrasive than black metal, and none of them'd be anywhere if not for the support of the scene, man. Also, the internet sorta throws off the whole paradigm since scenes aren't limited by geography anymore.

I guess my point is: if an artist didn't care about the cultural context of their music, they wouldn't release it. And no matter how much you think it's cool to avoid the word, "scenes" are a big part of that, especially in more fringey genres like black metal.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Hmm... Metal might be all I listen to, but I guess I don't really count as a metalhead. Usual attire would be khaki shorts, polos, and flip-flops.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

I'm probably closest to the Power Metal guy. I pretty much always wear jeans and a band shirt. My hair is usually pretty long, but I get it cut twice a year so that my sparring helmet will still fit for Taekwondo. Actually, come to think of it, I have a picture that I've been meaning to share from the meet and greet at the Iced Earth show I went to a month ago anyway.

I'm the one with the Death shirt and curly hair. The one with the Priest shirt is my younger brother, and the guy in between us is an old friend of ours who plays drums in my brother's band. The picture is a little on the huge side, so here is a link if you want to be able to see the whole thing at once.
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of the other people I know who listen to metal are some unholy amalgam of the Pantera guy, Deathcore kid, and Brutal Death Metaller, only with neckbeards. Their musical tastes are, sadly, more or less in accordance with this image. Pantera, Metallica, Cannibal Corpse, Whitechapel, Slipknot, Korn, Mastodon, and Tool are all pretty well represented, with a lot more overlap than one might expect if they only really talked with other metalheads online.

Regarding scenes:
    People generally are a part of a scene because they like the music. Similar tastes in music often correspond to similar ideas of what is cool in terms of fashion, imagery, etc and there's really nothing wrong with that. There are probably a few people who are the other way around, listening to the music to fit in with the scene, and that is a little depressing, but it doesn't invalidate the idea of scenes or make them into a necessarily negative thing.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-04-14 at 02:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Yeah, I'm unsure of how Triscuits seems to be conflating black metal, drone, and sludge. One form of unlistenable garbage is the same as the next, I guess.
    One sounds like people whacking instruments as hard as they can, one sounds the former got slowed down 1000000x, and the other is secretly indie rock. What's not to get confused?
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    can anyone tell me how to upload pictures from facebook to here? or is that not possible?
    Download to computer, upload to imageshack/phtobucket/etc. is the only way I know of.
    I guess my point is: if an artist didn't care about the cultural context of their music, they wouldn't release it. And no matter how much you think it's cool to avoid the word, "scenes" are a big part of that, especially in more fringey genres like black metal.
    Amen. Scenes keep anything that isn't mainstream from starving.
    Also known as Jarbis

5. - Top - End - #965
    Dwarf in the Playground

You're probably right Chumley. ADBM is relatively new, and due to the relatively reclusive nature of the fans, the scene may very well be in the Internet.

As for Death Magnetic(Spotlight center stage), I remember the day that came out.

It was the day I realized the strength of men failed.

I was so hyped for that album when I was fifteen you have no idea. I was hoping for a revival of Kill them all. What a fool I was. I bought a twenty dollar copy at my local record store. This was then I realized that Metallica's distributors grossly over priced their CD's. After getting home from another day in the hell we call "High school" I immediately retreated to my lair and proceeded to listen with great earnest.

After listening to it I immediately looked for any redeeming qualities in vain, ever the optimist. What a fool I was.

It didn't kill that optimism, but it helped. That day I realized Metallica was dead in my eyes.
    (Bows, exits stage right)
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-04-14 at 04:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

See, I don't care about anything that an artist cares about aside from their music. You can say that artists care about that scene, but how does that matter? Varg cares about racial superiority and Odinism, but that doesn't make Filosofem any better or worse. Musicians are just people who make music and the things that they value don't deserve any more or less respect because of their music.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-04-14 at 03:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    Your probably right Chumley. ADBM is relatively new, and due to the relatively reclusive nature of the fans, the scene may very well be in the Internet.
    I might've taken you seriously, had you not made that glaring grammatical flaw.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

You got more than "I really don't like Death Magnetic from that monologue, you're taking it way too seriously.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

You got more than "I really don't like Death Magnetic from that monologue, you're taking it way too seriously.
    Your sentence makes no sense. As in, it's structure and wording literally does not make any sense.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Dwarf in the Playground

Then I'll put this in a way you can understand.

Death magnetic is a terrible album. It's an improvement from their previous albums, but it still sucks.

Venom is a far better band. Listen to them.

Addendum: Heard an Irish pub rock song with a strong Deathcore breakdown. Gave me a bit of auditory whiplash.
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-04-14 at 08:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    See, I don't care about anything that an artist cares about aside from their music. You can say that artists care about that scene, but how does that matter? Varg cares about racial superiority and Odinism, but that doesn't make Filosofem any better or worse. Musicians are just people who make music and the things that they value don't deserve any more or less respect because of their music.
    As a musician, who plays in a gigging band, I have a lot of love for the tiny scene we're trying to create/tap in to, and a hell of a lot of frustration with people who think they're too cool for our scene, purely because it's a scene. Apologies where appropriate, but we live in a world with an evil called ticket presale minimums, and y'all have no idea how much crap those can give a band without a loyal scene. You can lose money playing shows if you don't sell enough tickets, and having a scene in place means you don't have to worry about that.
    That's why every music fan should care about scenes: they make it so bands can continue making music.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Your sentence makes no sense. As in, it's structure and wording literally does not make any sense.
    Yes it does, son. Insert another quotation mark after 'Magnetic' and the sentence becomes "You got more than 'I really don't like Death Magnetic' from that monologue, you're taking it way too seriously." Which is perfectly grammatically and structurally sound.

When you get down to grammar nitpicking, you're approaching a line. It's a line that is not in your, or anyone's, best interest to cross. Don't cross that line, Triscuits, I'm saying this as someone who cares about your well-being. Don't be that guy.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

Death magnetic is a terrible album. It's an improvement from their previous albums, but it still sucks.
    Metallica is hated by fans of other forms of metal. You clearly don't like them. Thus, I don't care. I like Death Magnetic, Beyond Magnetic, and some songs on Lulu (I like Lou Reed, a lot).

As for Venom, they're good. Better than most black metal.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-15 at 12:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #973

Recommend me some Folk Metal, i need more of it in my life.

I currently listen to Equilibrium and Eluveitie, but thats about it for folk-y metal.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post

I currently listen to Equilibrium and Eluveitie, but thats about it for folk-y metal.

DM
    Enlighten me, what is this curious subgenre known as folk metal? It sounds very interesting, like playing The Four Horsemen on acoustic guitars.

15. - Top - End - #975

Enlighten me, what is this curious subgenre known as folk metal? It sounds very interesting, like playing The Four Horsemen on acoustic guitars.
    well i dont have too much experience with it myself but from what i have heard it seems to draw from elements of both Power and Black Metal, having a similar "core" sound, but with the addition of "Folk-y" instruments such as flutes, bagpipes and accordions.

This would be a good example.

DM

16. - Top - End - #976
    Dwarf in the Playground

Korplikanni is the band that immediately comes to mind. Folk metal isn't my specialty.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

Metallica is hated by fans of other forms of metal. You clearly don't like them. Thus, I don't care. I like Death Magnetic, Beyond Magnetic, and some songs on Lulu (I like Lou Reed, a lot).

It's perfectly fine to enjoy Metallica's first three albums and think the rest of their output is mediocre (the next two) to garbage (everything after). No need to get ornery.

Also, on that subject, what's yer favorite Velvet Underground album? I'm partial to White Light/White Heat, just for Sister Ray. Hell of a song.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Halfling in the Playground

I like the insturmentals of Folk Metal, but I hate the death growl that permiates the genre... I find myself turning to folkish bands like Elvenking, Wuthering Heights, and Celtic Legacy instead, despite loving instrumentals from Korpiklanni, Schandmaul, Folkearth, et al. Eluviete is fantastic as well, but I haven't really been able to get into them as much.

I do thoroughly enjoy Alestorm however, but they're just fun Any song that starts with a pirate bellowing
    Last edited by TARDIS; 2012-04-15 at 07:46 AM.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

19. - Top - End - #979

I'll just drop this here

It kinda made my day

*warning: ponies*

EDIT: this too

DM
    Last edited by Hawkfrost000; 2012-04-15 at 11:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #980

DM
    If you like MeloDeath mixed in, Wintersun, Kromlek, Euphoreon are good*.

For straighter up Folk, the big names that you're missing would be Ensiferum, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Turisas and Tyr.

*It seems my default response to "Do you know any good bands in X genre?" is "I know some good MeloDeath bands that incorporate elements of X".
    Last edited by Zocelot; 2012-04-16 at 12:38 AM.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

DM
    you want folk metl you say?

well theres

Amon Amarth
    Skyforger
    ENSIFERUM
    Trollfest
    Korpiklaani
    Midnatsoll
    Wintersun
    Tyr
    HAMMER HORDE
    Kamelot (kinda power metally but still)
    Heidevolk
    Wayfarer
    and that should give you a good start...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding looks, I look like Sara Quin or Kaki King, really. Basically I look like a 20 something lesbian, only sometimes I wear shirts for black and death metal shirts instead of button ups or Cat Power shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    I mostly wear black jeans/cords, plaid flannel button-ups, v-necks, and the few concert shirts that I still hold on to (Dax Riggs, Kylesa, Baroness, Pelican, Russian Circles, and Mono, at the moment). Aren't I just a special snowflake?
    My mental image of you is this:

But not cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Makensha View Post
    Amen. Scenes keep anything that isn't mainstream from starving.
    I like that a ton.

Gonna say it: Metallica's best album is Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets is overall bad, and while it sucks that he died, I could care less about Burton. When I took bass for a short time, my bass teacher didn't tell me to listen to Metallica, he told me to listen to Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.

Anyway, you probably like(-ish?) Venom because they aren't even black metal. They're just a speed/thrash band whose Satanic themes influenced black metal's, and of course they came up with the name. They're in the "first wave" due to historical influence, as opposed to first wave bands like Bathory or Master's Hammer, that actually sound like BM as it is known today.

DM
    Hey bronydude. Here's some suggestions: Skyclad (one of the progenators of folk metal, and one of my favorite metal bands; folk/thrash) and Hardingrock (pretty killer project that is a fusion between folk rock and metal, and Harding fiddle).

EDIT: Oh bawls, neither I nor anyone else suggested Аркона! They're great. Folk metal with black metal touches. You would love them.

On a not responding to posts note:

Hey Grimbold, I'm clearing out my music folder of un-wanted/needed stuff, and got to my ...And Oceans folder, and remembered that they used to be symphonic black metal. If you're interested in some new symphonic BM, check out their first two albums, The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts and The Symmetry of I - The Circle of O. Sample of Dynamic, sample of I, sample of O (The Symmetry of I - The Circle of O is a double album, half-BM, half-ambient). I also think you'd really like the Arthemesia album Devs - Iratvs.

As far as ...And Oceans, they later became less symphonic, more electronic, with a death metal edge. I do not at all suggest their last two albums... it wasn't a change that worked in their favor IMO.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-16 at 08:46 PM.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Gonna say it: Metallica's best album is Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets is overall bad, and while it sucks that he died, I could care less about Burton. When I took bass for a short time, my bass teacher didn't tell me to listen to Metallica, he told me to listen to Béla Fleck and the Flecktones.
    It's like you guys have never even heard of the album in-between, which is far better than Kill 'Em All.

I usually listen to Ride the Lightning, Piece of Minds, Peace Sells, and Rust in Peace.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Troll in the Playground

I know RTL exists. I still think Kill 'Em All is better (and RTL is better than MoP, but seriously I think that album is bad).

If I ever make a black metal band, it will use "ov" extensively.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-16 at 09:04 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

I know RTL exists. I still think Kill 'Em All is better (and RTL is better than MoP, but seriously I think that album is bad).

If I ever make a black metal band, it will use "ov" extensively.
    Our guitarist and vocalist are arguing over band names. Way to go, guys; we'll break up before we even practice.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

Our guitarist and vocalist are arguing over band names. Way to go, guys; we'll break up before we even practice.
    Give yourself a stand-in name so you can start practicing. At some point, as a group, start marking down names you like over the course of a week or two. Then sit down with them, and discuss which you like and dislike. Hold a vote, with yeas or nays for names, then discuss whichever remain. Do it democratically, and if people can't stay civil, set up the most neutral member to lead the discussion, or do a talking stick deal.

Also, regarding you saying you're too young for extreme metal, to twist Lemmy's words: If you think you are too young to rock and roll, you are. And of course by "rock and roll" I mean "cut your flesh and worship Satan".

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #987
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is why I don't generally like working with other musicians.

I could never get behind Megadeth for some reason. I do still quite like Piece of Mind though, even thought my Iron Maiden days are over.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Pixie in the Playground

This is why I don't generally like working with other musicians.

I could never get behind Megadeth for some reason. I do still quite like Piece of Mind though, even thought my Iron Maiden days are over.
    I quit Megadeth after trying to listen to the travesty that is Endgame (though they were losing my favor already). When I did still listen to them, I was rather fond of So Far... So Good... So What?. I spent many angsty nights of my younger teenage years listening to Mary Jane on repeat.

As for Maiden; they're classic, but they never got beyond a band that I appreciated from a bit of a distance. Though this is probably considered heresy among many of my die-hard metal peers, I can't say I regret it. NWOBHM is rightfully noted by history as a transition, and shouldn't be taken as much beyond that, IMO.

If you disagree with that, need I say to you anything other than "Venom"?

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

I understand both appreciation, or lack their of, of NWOBHM. I think your mileage varies based on to what extent you're a riff-and-rock-and-roll person. I appreciate some old school heavy/speed metal (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Venom, etc), but... yeah I mostly listen to black metal. :B

I think people get too polarized about heavy metal. Y'like it or you don't.

OH HEY GRIMBOLD again. Bishop of Hexen: melodic black metal with symphonics. I keep running into stuff I think you'd like as I clear out my library. lol
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-17 at 07:37 AM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway, you probably like(-ish?) Venom because they aren't even black metal. They're just a speed/thrash band whose Satanic themes influenced black metal's, and of course they came up with the name. They're in the "first wave" due to historical influence, as opposed to first wave bands like Bathory or Master's Hammer, that actually sound like BM as it is known today.

Hey Grimbold, I'm clearing out my music folder of un-wanted/needed stuff, and got to my ...And Oceans folder, and remembered that they used to be symphonic black metal. If you're interested in some new symphonic BM, check out their first two albums, The Dynamic Gallery of Thoughts and The Symmetry of I - The Circle of O. Sample of Dynamic, sample of I, sample of O (The Symmetry of I - The Circle of O is a double album, half-BM, half-ambient). I also think you'd really like the Arthemesia album Devs - Iratvs.

As far as ...And Oceans, they later became less symphonic, more electronic, with a death metal edge. I do not at all suggest their last two albums... it wasn't a change that worked in their favor IMO.
    i beg to differ on metallica's best album
    i think kill em all is the most True to their cause but musically MoP is more appealling.

Also, ima just accept you on Venom, i heard they were considered BM by some, they're not really my trip, i just think they're important :P

and i will check out that band, they seem pretty kvlt

I understand both appreciation, or lack their of, of NWOBHM. I think your mileage varies based on to what extent you're a riff-and-rock-and-roll person. I appreciate some old school heavy/speed metal (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Venom, etc), but... yeah I mostly listen to black metal. :B

I think people get too polarized about heavy metal. Y'like it or you don't.
    NWOBHM is mah lief
    i really like Maiden, and Priest is one of my fav bands, and of course motoooorheeaaaaad forever!
    i also like a lot of revival bands like kissin' dynamite (linked to them a while back)

Give yourself a stand-in name so you can start practicing. At some point, as a group, start marking down names you like over the course of a week or two. Then sit down with them, and discuss which you like and dislike. Hold a vote, with yeas or nays for names, then discuss whichever remain. Do it democratically, and if people can't stay civil, set up the most neutral member to lead the discussion, or do a talking stick deal.

Also, regarding you saying you're too young for extreme metal, to twist Lemmy's words: If you think you are too young to rock and roll, you are. And of course by "rock and roll" I mean "cut your flesh and worship Satan".
    faulty is right
    as always

i think i love you

Quote Originally Posted by Space Admiral View Post
    I quit Megadeth after trying to listen to the travesty that is Endgame (though they were losing my favor already). When I did still listen to them, I was rather fond of So Far... So Good... So What?. I spent many angsty nights of my younger teenage years listening to Mary Jane on repeat.

As for Maiden; they're classic, but they never got beyond a band that I appreciated from a bit of a distance. Though this is probably considered heresy among many of my die-hard metal peers, I can't say I regret it. NWOBHM is rightfully noted by history as a transition, and shouldn't be taken as much beyond that, IMO.

If you disagree with that, need I say to you anything other than "Venom"?
    i liked endgame... i thought it was most tasty, the new records a bit cleaner though...

DIE FOR NWOBHM
    for me the two bands i would die for are slayer and priest...
    maybe maiden

just sayin....
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!