New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1377
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

moff, faulty
    i love you guys
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    You dig the facial pubes.
    Fixed that for ya. And yes, yes I do.

I'm glad your mental image of me is close to Sara Quin. I would punch sexist dudes in the face but I probably couldn't do **** with a punch. Seriously when I go to the gym I have trouble benching 15 pounds.
    Pffffwhaaat? Well, I guess that's what kubotans were made for.

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Seventh Son is a bit hit and miss for me. A lot of it is good, but it lacks the bite of some of their other releases and the title track is one of the few longer Maiden songs that actually feels bloated to me. I consider Number of the Beast strong the whole way through. Past the obvious classics it has a great second tier of songs like "Children of the Damned" and "22 Acacia Avenue," and even the weaker material on the album like "Gangland" and "Total Eclipse" are solid and helps to make the overall experience into more of a 'musical journey' as it were.
    Interesting. I'd have thought SS would be the favorite for any big Dream Theater fan. But then again, I guess you don't exactly fit the bill of a usual DT fan who would likely think of that 'bite' you speak of as being a rather non-essential element of metal. Anywho, for me, NotB provides a solid rockin' time, but SS is the journey.

And for the record, Powerslave is second on my list, though if I were allowed to include Bruce Dickinson solo albums, second place would be The Chemical Wedding. I can't say all this definitively, since I haven't listened to their entire discography (or even everything from Bruce for that matter). I've been meaning to check out the Blayze Bayley albums. From what songs I've heard from them, that era of Iron Maiden might just be underrated. Kind of like Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath.

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Are you crazy? There's gonna be 66 cassettes manufactured, and if any of them anywhere get uploaded to a file sharing service, a squad of pale-skinned, blank-faced Metal Archives senior members will be dispatched to tar and feather the perpetrator. Minimally and experimentally.
    Then I guess I'm lucky I don't have the super-advanced technology necessary to rip cassettes.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. While I love the hell out of Number of the Beast, my favourite Iron Maiden album was their comeback Brave New World. The Nomad is one of the best songs they've ever written, and that album didn't have even one bad song.

I love NWOBHM, and I'm a bit of a NWOBHM revivalist, what with Axel Rudi Pell and early Edguy and whatnot. NWOBHM certainly is a genre in itself, and not simply a crossover phase. That said, NWOBHM and classic heavy metal (and speed metal) are very different things. It does not do to lump them all in one big "old school metal" box. And some of my favourite albums are from that era as well. Painkiller, yes. Black Metal, hell yes.

As amusing as those pictures were, I don't conform much to general metalhead stereotypes. Hell, I wouldn't call myself a metalhead at all. I just listen to and enjoy metal. You don't have to look like Gaahl to listen to black metal, scene or no scene. 'Course, personality wise, I seem to be a power/folk metaller through and through, hee.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    Recommend me some Folk Metal, i need more of it in my life.

I currently listen to Equilibrium and Eluveitie, but thats about it for folk-y metal.
    I only just saw this. Thought I might weigh in, as it's right up my alley. Equilibrium and Eluveitie are the current big ones, so you're all right there.

Skyclad was mentioned, and is one of the earliest and best examples. Falconer has some decent power-metally attributes, as does Elvenking (they're a bit cheesy, but what the hey). Dalriada (formerly Echos of Dalriada) and Lumsk is in a similar vein. Heidevolk is great, and Alestorm, as has been mentioned, is very piratey.

Ensiferum and Korpiklaani is more on the Viking side of metal, but they're great as well. Wintersun was mentioned earlier, and is excellent. Fintroll is... unique. Svartsot and Thronar is.. really not all that great, but will do in a pinch.

Turisas is great and has a nice epic sound to them. In Extremo is some great medieval metal. Leaves' Eyes and Midnattsol has folk elements, but they're probably more correctly classified as symphonic metal. Still great, though.

Bands like Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Bathory, Windir are more on the Viking (or black-ish) side of metal, but are all great as well.

Whew. What did I miss? I'd provide Youtube links, but my internet connection is much too crappy for that at the moment. Maybe I'll come back later and add some.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Huh. While I love the hell out of Number of the Beast, my favourite Iron Maiden album was their comeback Brave New World
    Indeed. I put BNW easily on their top-three albums, togheter with powerslave.
    for the third, it's a hard race. I love Number, but also like Piece of Mind, Iron Maiden and Somewhere in time...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

meh
    now you got me thinking my top 10 maiden albums :/

1. Number of the Beast
    2. Dance of Death
    3. Seventh son of A Seventh Son
    4. Iron Maiden
    5. Brave New World
    6. Killers
    7. Piece of Mind
    8. Fear of the Dark
    9. Powerslave
    10. Final Frontier
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

I should list my top ten Metallica albums!

1. Master of Puppets
    2. And Justice For All
    3. Kill 'Em All
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. Oh crap,
    6. I forgot
    7. the rest
    8. weren't
    9. all that
    10. great.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

Speaking of Metallica, I must let it be known that Call of Ktulu is a fantastic song to make out to.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to see Opeth, Mastodon, and Ghost this week, but I have no idea who the latter is. Are there any fans of them here that can point me to a good album of theirs? I generally don't like walking into big shows like this blind.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-04-19 at 09:32 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Space Admiral View Post
    Speaking of Metallica, I must let it be known that Call of Ktulu is a fantastic song to make out to.
    Does this mean you do it to Orion?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I should list my top ten Metallica albums!

1. Master of Puppets
    2. And Justice For All
    3. Kill 'Em All
    4. Ride the Lightning
    5. Oh crap,
    6. I forgot
    7. the rest
    8. weren't
    9. all that
    10. great.
    ahahhaahah
    made my day
    triscuit one day trve metaller you will be

i prefer this one

although steel panthers "17 girls in a row" is more true to life
    My Metal Blog

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Pixie in the Playground

Only if it's the Mastodon cover, which I find to be far superior.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

Only if it's the Mastodon cover, which I find to be far superior inferior.
    Fixed that for you.

I hate this cover. Honestly, this is that kind of feeling I get when I listen to a cover. Hell no, the original was way better.

Is their drummer and rhythm guitarist better? Yes. Is the tuning wrong? Yes. Is the bassist not Cliff Burton? Yes.

This song was played live 20 years after Burton died, because it was played at his funeral. The way I see it, this band has every right to play this song, but to think it's better is an insult to those who have passed away.

Also, they missed a lot of notes.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-19 at 10:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I'm going to see Opeth, Mastodon, and Ghost this week, but I have no idea who the latter is. Are there any fans of them here that can point me to a good album of theirs? I generally don't like walking into big shows like this blind.
    It's presumably the Swedish Ghost, in which case their only album is Opus Eponymous. They're a heavy metal band with a King Diamond-esque theatrical aspect (the singer dresses like some kind of undead bishop). I love their cover of "Here Comes the Sun", personally.

Fixed that for you.

I hate this cover. Honestly, this is that kind of feeling I get when I listen to a cover. Hell no, the original was way better.

Is their drummer and rhythm guitarist better? Yes. Is the tuning wrong? Yes. Is the bassist not Cliff Burton? Yes.

This song was played live 20 years after Burton died, because it was played at his funeral. The way I see it, this band has every right to play this song, but to think it's better is an insult to those who have passed away.

Also, they missed a lot of notes.
    Saying that liking a cover of "Orion" more than the original is disrespectful of the dead is pushing it a bit, kid.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Saying that liking a cover of "Orion" more than the original is disrespectful of the dead is pushing it a bit, kid.
    Don't call me a kid. If anything, I'm just as capable as most adults are; I'm just in high school. You shouldn't use "kid" as an insult anyways, seeing how it's hardly relevant to a teenager.

If you think it's pushing it, keep in mind how all of you defend the genres I attack. Guess what? This is the same thing. You're just not a fan of Metallica, so it has no weight to you.

Oh, and I overdrive Sunn brand amps with my bass all the time now.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Don't call me a kid. If anything, I'm just as capable as most adults are; I'm just in high school. You shouldn't use "kid" as an insult anyways, seeing how it's hardly relevant to a teenager.
    Judging from your response, it seems fairly relevant to you. 'Kid' doesn't have any inherently disparaging overtones, and I sincerely doubt that Faulty intended to insult you, so what's the issue? Chillax.

If you think it's pushing it, keep in mind how all of you defend the genres I attack. Guess what? This is the same thing. You're just not a fan of Metallica, so it has no weight to you.
    That comparison really doesn't make any sense. Genre discussion generally involves taste and aesthetics; this has nothing to do with that. You simply hold a belief that happens to have little to no factual evidence or logical reasoning, and Faulty pointed it out.

Anyways, people die all of the time, and I certainly don't see why anyone who wasn't actually acquainted with him would make such a big deal about someone like Cliff Burton. Different strokes, I guess.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-04-20 at 12:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Interesting. I'd have thought SS would be the favorite for any big Dream Theater fan. But then again, I guess you don't exactly fit the bill of a usual DT fan who would likely think of that 'bite' you speak of as being a rather non-essential element of metal. Anywho, for me, NotB provides a solid rockin' time, but SS is the journey.

And for the record, Powerslave is second on my list, though if I were allowed to include Bruce Dickinson solo albums, second place would be The Chemical Wedding. I can't say all this definitively, since I haven't listened to their entire discography (or even everything from Bruce for that matter). I've been meaning to check out the Blayze Bayley albums. From what songs I've heard from them, that era of Iron Maiden might just be underrated. Kind of like Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath.
    The usual DT fan would probably brand me a heretic for having a slight preference for Train of Thought over Scenes from a Memory.

I should give Chemical Wedding another shot. When last I heard it, it came off as a weaker version of A Matter of Life and Death, and I ended up gravitating toward Accident of Birth which has more of a classic Maiden vibe, and hence was more what I was looking for at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    I actually showed that song to some real life friends of mine just the other day. None of them are really metalheads, but I think it's safe to say that a bunch of them are now Powerwolf fans.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and I overdrive Sunn brand amps with my bass all the time now.
    You know who else liked to play through really loud, distorted Sunns? Sunn O))). And Earth, Boris, Red Fang, etc. The sound of a distorted Model T or Beta Lead is kinda the quintessential drone tone.

Also, what sort of amp and speaker are you using? Unless you're using a tube Sunn, and those are kinda absurdly overpriced these days, or a solid state guitar head with an overdrive channel, solid state Sunns will not start distorting until very high volumes unless your speaker is at the wrong impedance. I'd check that, it'd be a shame to wreck vintage gear.

Listen, Triscuits, most of us have been in the position you're in now, and I know it's no fun, but there's only one way to stop being treated as if you're immature, and that's acting in a more mature fashion.

I will regard all cries of "hypocrite!" as totally irrelevant since everyone already knows I'm an eight year old at heart and at no point have I bothered denying it.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2012-04-20 at 01:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Troll in the Playground

You know who else liked to play through really loud, distorted Sunns? Sunn O))). And Earth, Boris, Red Fang, etc. The sound of a distorted Model T or Beta Lead is kinda the quintessential drone tone.
    I know Sunn 0))) uses Sunn amps. That was the point.

You know what happens when you overdrive a guitar amp with a bass? It blows up. Sunn amps sound nice, but fall apart all too easily.

My point? I hate Sunn 0))), and I break their amps for kicks.

I will regard all cries of "hypocrite!" as totally irrelevant since everyone already knows I'm an eight year old at heart and at no point have I bothered denying it.
    Old person.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-20 at 01:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    The only Ghost sing I've heard is Ritual. Someone linked it from here a while back. Sounds pretty good, pretty catchy. Like Faulty said, it's off of their only album.
    Last edited by Nomrom; 2012-04-20 at 02:16 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Troll in the Playground

Oh lord, you've dragged me into a gear argument.

First of all, a little history on Sunn. They were founded by the bassist from The Kingsmen (Louie Louie, anyone?) and his brother in the mid 60s, and made some of the most durable and solid amps of their era. Users included The Who, Jimi Hendrix, The Stooges, Nirvana, KISS, and Rush. During the 80s and 90s they fell out of fashion and were therefore easy to find for cheap at pawnshops, which is why they saw a resurgence in the largely DIY and independent stoner and drone scenes.

I know what happens when you play a bass through a guitar amp, because I spend several hours a day every day playing a bass through a guitar amp. On a combo amp where the speaker isn't rated very high above the wattage of the amp, you risk blowing out the speaker, which is doesn't damage the amp in the slightest. Just ruins a speaker. There weren't a ton of Sunn guitar combos made; the Beta Lead is the only one I can think of that regularly sells for affordable prices, and Sunn overbuilt their amps so much that I'd be surprised if the speaker wasn't rated well above the capabilities of the power amp. If you do manage to blow it out, good for you; you've ruined an amp that was never associated with any drone metal act on earth (no self-respecting drone act would use a combo). But it'd take some real doing.

And if your Sunn's a head and you're using it to blow out a cab, so long as you're aware that the only thing in the chain you're damaging is the speaker, and the amp itself will remain totally unharmed, knock yourself out.

In any case, every Sunn I've played, be it a bass amp, guitar amp, or PA head, has made for a great bass amp regardless of volume.

tl;dr: no. Your amp will not blow up unless you **** with the power supply and melt the capacitors. You might damage the speaker a little bit, but the electronics will be totally unharmed. When you get through taking out your frustration on a piece of gear twice your age, send it my way.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    The usual DT fan would probably brand me a heretic for having a slight preference for Train of Thought over Scenes from a Memory.
    Heee! You're right about that, old boy. Although for me, Train of Thought is a close second. I've said this before, but In the Name of God is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Also, new Borknagar album out. I've heard it's close to The Olden Domain, so that sounds promising. Also, ICS Vortex is back. Report to follow.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow. Not sure how one gets to that conclusion.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Heee! You're right about that, old boy. Although for me, Train of Thought is a close second. I've said this before, but In the Name of God is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Also, new Borknagar album out. I've heard it's close to The Olden Domain, so that sounds promising. Also, ICS Vortex is back. Report to follow.
    how about Haken

like DT
    ONLY BETTER

also
    the new borknagar is indeed most excellent
    My Metal Blog

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

Wow. Not sure how one gets to that conclusion.
    Let's just say I'm the biggest fan of Metallica you'll meet for a long time.

@Chumley, even I lie sometimes.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-20 at 01:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Judging from your response, it seems fairly relevant to you. 'Kid' doesn't have any inherently disparaging overtones, and I sincerely doubt that Faulty intended to insult you, so what's the issue? Chillax.

That comparison really doesn't make any sense. Genre discussion generally involves taste and aesthetics; this has nothing to do with that. You simply hold a belief that happens to have little to no factual evidence or logical reasoning, and Faulty pointed it out.
    Exactly. Listen, you're 15. You are totally a kid, whether or not you think so. If you don't look back at your 15 year old self 7 years from now and think you were a kid, you need to work on knowing thyself. Honestly, if you're in high school you're still a kid more than likely. Time makes everything smaller; when you're out of high school, you'll know what I mean. Looking back, stuff'll seem much different, and I know that when I'm in my late 20s or in my 30s, I'll look back at my 21 year old self and think that I really knew jack ****. Hindsight is 20/20 kid, remember that, and regardless, there's nothing wrong with being a kid. Everyone has to be one at some point.

And yeah. Aesthetic preference of a cover over the original song != disrespecting the dead. It's acting as if that kind of preference is the same as spitting on Burton's grave, which is a bit melodramatic.

You're in touch with your inner child, Chumsy.

I love Quintessence. Vortex is such a great vocalist.

It finally happened. I finally have over 400 bands tagged as black metal on last.fm. I dunno whether to pat myself on the back or stare into the bathroom mirror full of self-pity and loathing.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    The only Ghost sing I've heard is Ritual. Someone linked it from here a while back. Sounds pretty good, pretty catchy. Like Faulty said, it's off of their only album.
    It's presumably the Swedish Ghost, in which case their only album is Opus Eponymous. They're a heavy metal band with a King Diamond-esque theatrical aspect (the singer dresses like some kind of undead bishop). I love their cover of "Here Comes the Sun", personally.
    Thanks, thanks.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Dwarf in the Playground

It finally happened. I finally have over 400 bands tagged as black metal on last.fm. I dunno whether to pat myself on the back or stare into the bathroom mirror full of self-pity and loathing.
    Stare into the bathroom mirror full of self-pity and loathing. It's cool, we can share mirrors.

And Chumley, if Triscuits does send you that Sunn amp, we are sharing. Period. I'm sick of my trashy Fender amp.

All I remember about being 15 was obsessively reading Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, and Shakespeare and bitterly hating anything that wasn't a cat. So really I was a 65 year old cat lady.

Haken is a better DT. I agree.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    All I remember about being 15 was obsessively reading Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, and Shakespeare and bitterly hating anything that wasn't a cat. So really I was a 65 year old cat lady.
    For me, Stephen King, Kurt Vonnegut, Shakespeare, Michael Crichton, S.M. Stirling, etc.

I get called a dork for being able to translate Old English into Modern English. I like being a nerd, but a dork? That's calling me a fool, and I'm no fool. Unless I want to be.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

I'm no fool.
    I AM NO MAN

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Dwarf in the Playground

I took a Latin class too at 15. If anything will instill a powerful hatred of the Romans in you it's that. And by "Old English" do you mean that abhorrent looking language that came out of Celtic Ireland? That language looks terrifying.

I AM NO MAN
    I see what you did there *Salutes*