New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 122728293031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1377
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    You forgot to add Megadeth, Anthrax, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and a few other bands.

Besides, you should fear me. You can't make hipster's head implode.

EDIT: Or did your head explode before it was cool?
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2012-04-22 at 08:08 PM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    They're terrific. Merrill's a hell of a singer, and supposedly they put on a really great show. Check 'em out, you'd probably like 'em.

And grimmy, they're too sincere to be hipsters.
    yes moff meluv

i think i would make hipsters gawk if they saw the obscurity of some bands i listen too...
    doing unsigned reviews on a metal blog helps
    Last edited by grimbold; 2012-04-22 at 09:14 PM.
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

You've got it backwards, bro. You're not making their heads implode, you're swelling their egos.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Troll in the Playground

You've got it backwards, bro. You're not making their heads implode, you're swelling their egos.
    Let's assume that their egos are kept inside their heads.

Let's also assume that their heads are also of limited capacity.

Their egos swell to such sizes that their heads explode. So I did have it sort of wrong.

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Troll in the Playground

The former assumption is reasonable, but I've seen no evidence of the latter.

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Troll in the Playground

The former assumption is reasonable, but I've seen no evidence of the latter.
    Hipsters must look like characters from Jimmy Neutron.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

On the other hand I wasn't aware egos had a physical volume. :B

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Troll in the Playground

I love Quintessence. Vortex is such a great vocalist.
    Yeah, Quintessence is my personal favourite as well. The Olden Domain was pretty good, but I actually prefer Vortex's vocals.

On to Urd then. Different than I expected. The vocals are like 70% clean. Vortex kills, but Vintersorg's screams are pretty awesome as well. It's way more progressive than I expected, which is actually what I like. Pretty damn good album.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Four words: "A Change of Seasons"
    Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Four more words: "The Count of Tuscany." I love that song, arbitrary 3 1/2 minute sad piano section, Portnoy faux-growling, and all.
    I tend to lean toward their more progressive albums, myself. A Change of Seasons is good, certainly. But In the Name of God is still a killer song. Black Clouds and Silver Linings is, as you said, kind of right on the edge of the more heavier albums. Meh. A Dramatic Turn of Events as well, which I think is actually slightly better.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-04-23 at 02:49 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Troll in the Playground

I'm too black metal for that garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yeah, Quintessence is my personal favourite as well. The Olden Domain was pretty good, but I actually prefer Vortex's vocals.

On to Urd then. Different than I expected. The vocals are like 70% clean. Vortex kills, but Vintersorg's screams are pretty awesome as well. It's way more progressive than I expected, which is actually what I like. Pretty damn good album.
    I may check it out. Quintessence is really the only Borknagar album I listen to. Simply never explored the early stuff and after Vintersorg took over I lost interest because his song writing doesn't interest me, despite his great voice.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Troll in the Playground

I'm too black metal for that garbage.
    I'm TOO THRASH HEAVY for black metal. Found some CDs at Half-Price Books, bought 'em, trashed 'em. They're literally garbage.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

i don't wanna ask what albums trisuit threw out...

but i have to
    what albums where they?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Dwarf in the Playground

I find that stuff isn't intense enough (thematically or otherwise). Have fun though.

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    i don't wanna ask what albums trisuit threw out...

but i have to
    what albums where they?
    Well, I kept the Iced Earth album, but I chucked the Sunn 0))) one.

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Dwarf in the Playground

So you would rather throw away a CD you got in a bundle instead of selling it for five to ten bucks, which could easily get you food, or a fistful of picks?

Seems wasteful bro....

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    So you would rather throw away a CD you got in a bundle instead of selling it for five to ten bucks, which could easily get you food, or a fistful of picks?

Seems wasteful bro....
    Believe me, I tried to sell it. Those who would have wanted it (2 people) had it, and the rest were listening to the more mainstream pop and techno.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Dwarf in the Playground

Believe me, I tried to sell it. Those who would have wanted it (2 people) had it, and the rest were listening to the more mainstream pop and techno.
    eBay? No matter.

Seeing Watain, Behemoth, In Solitude, and The Devil's Blood tonight. Should be most triumphant.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Watain, Behemoth, In Solitude, and The Devil's Blood tonight. Should be most triumphant.
    Please tell me how it is. I wanna know what I'll be facing.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I kept the Iced Earth album, but I chucked the Sunn 0))) one.
    some days you make me sad triscuit

but i still love you
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Bugbear in the Playground

So at work, I got the strangest idea. I realized I desperately wanted to hear a black metal cover of Billy Joel's She's Always A Woman

Like, you guys, I could hear it so perfectly in my head.

Alas, when I got home, I discovered that this is but the fever dreams of a madman. I did, however, find this.

That'll do, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Four more words: "The Count of Tuscany." I love that song, arbitrary 3 1/2 minute sad piano section, Portnoy faux-growling, and all. Actually, Black Clouds and Silver Linings is an interesting specimen with regard to the point I was trying to make, in that it sort of sits at the intersection of the things I was contrasting. Most of the songs on the album come from personal experiences and inner feelings, but its all being expressed in a way which is significantly more theatrical than on ToT.
    Haven't actually listened to any DT since ToT. Not exactly sure why. I'll read reviews about them/listen to samples and get interested and whatnot and then never follow through with my interest. I'm sure I'll get around to them someday. That said, I listened to one song from ADToE and was not the slightest bit intrigued.

Yeah, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Best I can guess is that I was really intent on finding a Maiden connection, and AMoLaD, being the darkest musically and most thematically grim of the Maiden albums, was the best I could come up with.
    Hah, I've definitely been there before, where I revisit an album I only listened to once years before and can't quite figure out why I assessed the album the way I did.

I plan on listening to Shadows of the Sun first. Sounds up my alley.
    Really? I didn't know you enjoyed the lighter side of ambient.

Today, as well as a split with The Flaming Lips.
    I'm so checking this out. /losingmetalcred
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I do enjoy A Dramatic Turn of Events. It's nothing spectacular, but it's pretty solid.

I forgot to mention, but Borknagar does a serviceable cover of My Friend of Misery. I did not expect to see that on the album (special edition, whatever).

I love dark ambient almost as much as metal, but for some reason I never could get into Ulver. Although I haven't actually listened to their newer stuff.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright ladies and gents. I have returned from the unwashed hordes of metalheads to tell you about the concert.

Watain was absolutely f***ing amazing! If you don't like masses of people don't front line it. Mosh pit was the most intense I've ever been in. Got the wind knocked out of me no less than four times by some jerk who elbowed me in the solar plexus. Damn hockey players.

In Solitude was fun. Not great, but they were the opening act. Fun light head banging music.

Devil's Blood was weird. I liked them personally, but a lot of people didn't. Psychedelic black metal definitely threw people off. It didn't help that they were essentially unknown.

Behemoth was Behemoth. No more I can say about that.

If folks have any other questions feel free to shoot.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Orc in the Playground

Storm Corrosion (the Mikael Akerfeldt/Steven Wilson project) just released a track. Not sure how I feel about the song yet, but damn, that music video...
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

I love dark ambient almost as much as metal, but for some reason I never could get into Ulver. Although I haven't actually listened to their newer stuff.
    You familiar with the noise act Sutcliffe Jügend? Their new album, Blue Rabbit, is pure dark ambient and is seriously ****ed up.

Was there fake blood and pig heads?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Pixie in the Playground

Any super kvlt people in corpsepaint?

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Was there fake blood and pig heads?
    Fake blood yes. Pig heads no. There were though two totems holding up rotting horse skulls though. Kvlt as fv*k.

Any super kvlt people in corpse paint?
    Nobody in the audience had corpse paint. There were a fair amount of kvlt people. A lot of people dressed pretty ostentatiously, but then again, welcome to San Francisco. I just went in with a plain black cut sleeve and ugly grey cargo pants. I save the ostentatious stuff for when I go to my friend's indie concerts for ironic effect (btw Chumley, next concert will be interesting. Heh heh heh......)

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

@godspit
    you get to meet chumley? boo... i hafta wait till NEXT april :P

also
    This band

oh
    my
    god

amazing
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Dwarf in the Playground

That band reminds me of These guys for some reason.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Troll in the Playground

You familiar with the noise act Sutcliffe Jügend? Their new album, Blue Rabbit, is pure dark ambient and is seriously ****ed up.
    Never heard of them. Not a huge fan of noise either. But I'll check it out.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Troll in the Playground

Never heard of them. Not a huge fan of noise either. But I'll check it out.
    They usually make power electronics, but the album is dark ambient. Trigger warning though, they have a lot of lyrics that include rape/sexual assault. But that's part of what makes it so disturbing.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-25 at 08:18 AM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives