New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1377
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Cat metal is amazing, and I'm not saying that because I'm a cat person (which I am).

My little sister heard a glimpse of Mutiilation's Sorrow Galaxies the other day and was mildly interested, so there may be hope.

Maybe.

tend to agree with you godspit

my younger sister (13) still has a short attention span. To decide if she like an artist she listens to 15 seconds of a song then skips around the song to see if the rest is worth listening to

how do you even do that? I listen to an album or EP 3-4 times before deciding if i like a band or not
    Yeah. Kids have no patience these days. It's kind of depressing. I was listening to twenty minute songs when I was thirteen though, so I might not be the best judge of today's youth.

It takes me several days to come to a definite conclusion on whether or not I like an artist. For example, on a first listen I wasn't crazy about Aakon Keetreh, but on further listening of about four or five days I found listening to Dark Winter was an interesting experience.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    Yeah. Kids have no patience these days. It's kind of depressing. I was listening to twenty minute songs when I was thirteen though, so I might not be the best judge of today's youth.
    Likewise. However, it was Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and the like. Yes is still pretty cool, but the rest?
    Pink Floyd's chill though, and everyone loves them.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    Likewise. However, it was Yes, Jethro Tull...
    Them's fightin words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Troll in the Playground

I stand by my convictions, good sir.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey man, Thick as a Brick is a good album.

Most of my training came from both Pink Floyd and live Led Zeppelin concerts.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jethro Tull
    is great, always has been.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    Abyssal Lord Fluffy Pants made my day. Thanks.

Likewise. However, it was Yes, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and the like. Yes is still pretty cool, but the rest?
    Pink Floyd's chill though, and everyone loves them.
    Yes has always been great.

But Jethro Tull is still good. I think you're outnumbered here, Moff.

So, Moonspell. The first album, Alpha Noir, is the heavier one. It sounds a bit like Memorial, and I'm almost certain I heard some black metal strains here and there. I'm still not fond of Fernando Ribeiro's harsh voice. It always sounds like he's in a shouting match with his 5 year old son. But the actual music's pretty good. Omega White is lighter and more melodic, with clean vocals, which I think actually sounds better. Not quite old-school gothic rock, but it's getting there. Something I'll actually listen to.

Hey, that was very nearly an actual review. I might just flesh it out and submit it. Heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dada View Post
    Don't start out with Death Metal. Power Metal is generally an easier way to sow the seeds of kvltness, even if it may not be kvlt itself.
    Confirmed.
    My almost 7 years old daughter listens to Gamma Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Another +1 for Jethro.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Confirmed.
    My almost 7 years old daughter listens to Gamma Ray.

Another +1 for Jethro.
    y'know killer
    that does not surprise me :P

also yes
    jethro is awesome

@godspit, when you say live led zeppelin concerts, you mean bootleg recordings right? or did you actually see them?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Cat metal is amazing, and I'm not saying that because I'm a cat person (which I am).

My little sister heard a glimpse of Mutiilation's Sorrow Galaxies the other day and was mildly interested, so there may be hope.

Maybe.
    Now all you have to do is get her interested in Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul and Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.

It takes me several days to come to a definite conclusion on whether or not I like an artist. For example, on a first listen I wasn't crazy about Aakon Keetreh, but on further listening of about four or five days I found listening to Dark Winter was an interesting experience.
    I think it honestly depends. I can listen to half a track and know whether I'd want to listen to the whole album or not. I've listened to single songs and thought "not totally digging this, but there's something there", and then later find I dig it.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

For me, if nothing catches my attention first listen through (like a particularly epic metal scream or whatever) I try to listen to it 3 or 4 times for a definite impression. I'm very picky about what I like, but I might not catch everything the first time around.

The newest Agalloch album for instance took at least 5 or 6 times for me to really get into it. And I'm still not totally feeling it.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

on the discussion about getting into stuff

it took me forever to get into meshuggah, i liked djent, but it took me 9-10 listens of meshuggsh albums before i went Oo this stuff is good!
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    How often am I not outnumbered in this thread?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Orc in the Playground

CAN I SUGGEST YOU... GET ****ED!?
    If there was an animated laughing emoticon, it'd be right here.

I love Whitehouse. Birdseed is one of my favorite PE albums. :3
    But that's just the thing: I gathered that it's supposed to a very good Power Electronics album. That's why I determined that PE wasn't for me. Then later my interest in the genre was piqued by the PE band Haus Arafna until I found out that the material from that band I enjoyed the most was their material that doesn't sound all that Power Electronicsy, as evidenced by the track I just linked. Oh well.

EDIT: Newly released track from an upcoming Shining cover EP. That particular track sounds pretty much exactly like the Katatonia original. I'm really liking Kvarforth's vocals, though.

Speaking of cover albums, Ulver is releasing one (which also has a newly released track) commemorating a bunch of (mostly) lesser known 60's psychedelic, garage, and folk rock bands.
    Last edited by eyeofsaulot; 2012-05-02 at 11:13 AM.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

While I loooooooove Whitehouse's Birdseed, I can understand not liking it. Your mileage for Whitehouse largely depends on how much you can enjoy William Bennet screaming about rape, samething with Sutcliffe Jügend and Kevin Tomkins.

Like black metal, PE is a very varied genre, however. Because it's experimental electronic music with little in the way of boundaries, it can end up sounding very varied. Other examples: Genocide Organ, Dead Body Love, and Taint. Power electronics, harsh noise and death industrial (DI is basically harsh noise's more dark ambient form, see: Brighter Death Now) are very closely related, so taste in any tends to bleed in to taste in others, and even within artists and albums.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

i think a good chunk of us like Sun 0)))

and handshake!
    HANDSHAKE FO'EVA!
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

@Faulty: wonder how Purrzum would get along with White Mice.
    They should both be introduced to Hatebeak.

on the discussion about getting into stuff

it took me forever to get into meshuggah, i liked djent, but it took me 9-10 listens of meshuggsh albums before i went Oo this stuff is good!
    Same for me. If some of my friends hadn't kept evangelizing them to me as the greatest metal band on Earth, I would've given up on them pretty quickly. They aren't my favorite, but I love them now.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Newly released track from an upcoming Shining cover EP.
    Nice cover. Listened to the two back to back.

Now all you have to do is get her interested in Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul and Vampires of Black Imperial Blood.
    That will never happen. She probably couldn't get behind the production. I've given up trying to convert her to anything. The mere interest was in itself an act of luck of her passing by and hearing a snippet. Oh well.

All those are seriously awesome though. It's a shame some won't get it.

Everybody's a philistine and a critic.

Grimbold: I have a Zeppelin concert dvd as well as How the west was won
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-05-02 at 10:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

That will never happen. She probably couldn't get behind the production. I've given up trying to convert her to anything. The mere interest was in itself an act of luck of her passing by and hearing a snippet. Oh well.

SHE'S NOT EVEN 7 YET.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, seriously, give her time. Chances are, considering she is a... what do you call it... oh yeah, human being, she won't be into metal. Sorry metalheads, but the fact is, probability says any individual person you meet will happen to not be a metalhead. Granted, considering she's got metal parenting, chances are higher, but still, don't get your hopes up. Especially because when she becomes a teen, she'll probably start hating any music you try to get her into out of spite-- err, rebellion.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    SHE'S NOT EVEN 7 YET.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, seriously, give her time. Chances are, considering she is a... what do you call it... oh yeah, human being, she won't be into metal. Sorry metalheads, but the fact is, probability says any individual person you meet will happen to not be a metalhead. Granted, considering she's got metal parenting, chances are higher, but still, don't get your hopes up. Especially because when she becomes a teen, she'll probably start hating any music you try to get her into out of spite-- err, rebellion.
    I was referring to my sister when I was saying that. She's 16. She typically listens to me when it comes to other stuff though (a terrible notion, probably out of above spite/rebellion of our collective lifegivers.)

And you'll be surprised. Today I was walking around where I live where these two valley girl-esque women complimented me on my Bathory shirt, sounding like they knew what they were talking about. I've also seen some people who don't look like metal heads at all moshing all the harder and kicking the ass of the most metal looking people at the concerts.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

and handshake!
    HANDSHAKE FO'EVA!
    Fixed. You forgot the link...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Troll in the Playground

It took me four whole years to get into Tristania. I tried it every few months and finally it clicked for me. It was just too dense at first.

I'm sometimes surprised by the metal knowledge of non-metalheads. Of course, usually you get "Trivium is the heaviest band evar!" but sometimes some poppy airhead will be able to tell you all about Judas Priest's lineup changes or whatever.

Personally, I blame the parents.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    They should both be introduced to Hatebeak.
    Oh Hatebeak, you cad. <3 Hatebeak eats White Mice. Purrzum eats Hatebeak. Purrzum also eats White Mice.

The rawest I could take when first getting into BM was Emperor's Anthems, and now I realize that that album is just terribly mixed (Emperor > all of Emperor's other releases). [/unpopularopinion]

Yeah though, the LLN was amazing. Those albums are beautiful, as are Vlad Tepes, Belketre and Black Murder to name a few.

And you'll be surprised. Today I was walking around where I live where these two valley girl-esque women complimented me on my Bathory shirt, sounding like they knew what they were talking about. I've also seen some people who don't look like metal heads at all moshing all the harder and kicking the ass of the most metal looking people at the concerts.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met an awesome trans man the other day who's a huge power metal and 80s heavy metal fan. He's pretty wicked.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Troll in the Playground

Metal is a very broad and diverse genre. Chances are, for any given music fan, there exists some metal that they will find appealing. A child, or someone rebelling against me and my tastes specifically would be harder to convert, sure, but I actually tend to have a pretty decent success rate when I recommend metal to my various groups of friends.

I was once complimented on my Iron Maiden shirt by a self-proclaimed monk who was handing out copies of the Bghavad Ghita on the street.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

SHE'S NOT EVEN 7 YET.

how does one get more rebellious than cattle decapitation or revocation?

i mean, i have a friend who has a video of his baby dancing to revocation's cradle robber
    a song about a mother comitting suicide after a baby dies :P

doesn't get much more rebellious than that :P

pfft you lucky...
    my kvltness alienates me from most beginner metalheads i know :P

i try to stay positive and bring people towards the kvlt and i have several friends who i have made into folk metal fans so yay me!
    My Metal Blog

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Dwarf in the Playground

My kvltness doesn't alienate me from mainstream society. I know a few people who are very much mainstream and don't treat me like an alien from another planet. It's mildly annoying actually because I generally don't like them, but they talk to me anyway for some reason.

The rawest I could take when first getting into BM was Emperor's Anthems, and now I realize that that album is just terribly mixed (Emperor > all of Emperor's other releases). [/unpopularopinion]
    I generally agree. Whilst Anthems didn't induct me, it did help me steer towards the Darkthrone way of things instead of the path of Dimmu which was where I was heading (gasp). I consider Anthems my wake up call.

I still don't know what I saw in that band other than the fact I was fifteen and amazingly stupid. It wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't In Sorte Diaboli, but it was.
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-05-03 at 05:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ogre in the Playground

The rawest I could take when first getting into BM...
    I am a child.

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Troll in the Playground

My kvltness doesn't alienate me from mainstream society.
    Same. I don't look kvlt anyway.

I generally agree. Whilst Anthems didn't induct me, it did help me steer towards the Darkthrone way of things instead of the path of Dimmu which was where I was heading (gasp). I consider Anthems my wake up call.

I still don't know what I saw in that band other than the fact I was fifteen and amazingly stupid. It wouldn't have been that bad if it wasn't In Sorte Diaboli, but it was.
    It was Death Cult Armageddon for me. I also early on listened to Cradle of Filth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I am a child.
    One day you will find stuff like this, this and this to be listenable. Seriously though, I listen to Transilvanian Hunger and think it has a clear production. Haha. I literally lose track of what is and is not good production if I don't listen to something with actual production values to snap me back to reality.

Spoiler
    Show

I actually reach the lowest rung on that image.

Anyway, I ordered some LPs and cassettes today! One of them was metal: Ash Pool's latest cassette, Cremation is Irreversable. For some reason he decided to release the CS on a German label, so I have to pay the equivalent of $12 instead of the $6-8 I could get from a US distro. Oh well. Good band, good artist (Dominic Fernow, the two LPs were of his noise project Prurient) and good distro (also released SatanNoiseVomitChaos which is a brilliant black noise album).

Also Cattle Decapitation are coming to town, but with like 5 bands that I don't care about. Lame. I'd love to see them again, but not like that.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-05-03 at 10:18 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sometimes, when I have the school studio to myself, I'll set up a few mics, patch in a ton of distortion/filtering/delay/auto-tune/what have you, turn everything up to the point that the speakers are distorting, and just listen to the feedback. If you do it right, you can churn out some goddam weird stuff; I'll record it some time.

Anyhow, that thing bothers me. Shoegaze is 4 but post-punk is 3, while Krautrock is 5? Post-hardcore is 2 but industrial and math-rock, which are subgenres of the above, are 4? Same goes for screamo. "Avant garde" and "experimental" are substantially different? Free Jazz is easier listening than drone? "Field recording" refers to a ton of different things.

o.O

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

One day you will find stuff like this, this and this to be listenable. Seriously though, I listen to Transilvanian Hunger and think it has a clear production. Haha. I literally lose track of what is and is not good production if I don't listen to something with actual production values to snap me back to reality.
    I could not bring myself to read that sentence any other way. Also, my first thought: "only 240p? What is this, 2006?"

Spoiler
    Show

I actually reach the lowest rung on that image.
    I'm always that guy. Why am I always that guy.

"Field recording" refers to a ton of different things.
    It can mean Beethoven's 5th if you're from Mars.