New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

The Space Wolf books are great. They have an obese Marine as a recurring secondary character.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of the night lords trilogy, in which order do the books take place? I'd like to buy them soon and wouldn't want to start on the wrong step.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Speaking of the night lords trilogy, in which order do the books take place? I'd like to buy them soon and wouldn't want to start on the wrong step.
    Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker. Each is pretty much a self-contained story, and you'd probably be fine reading Void Stalker without either of the other two, though a lot of the emotional impact and some of the nuances would be lost.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, on a hunch, I looked in A Thousand Sons, and it turns out that their temples, even 10000 years ago, were dedicated to the same schools as can now be rolled for in 6th Edition.

Corvidae - Divination
    Pyrae - Pyromancy
    Raptora - Telekinesis
    Pavoni - Biomancy
    Athanaeans - Telepathy

Just a nice bit of consistency.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    So, on a hunch, I looked in A Thousand Sons, and it turns out that their temples, even 10000 years ago, were dedicated to the same schools as can now be rolled for in 6th Edition.

Corvidae - Divination
    Pyrae - Pyromancy
    Raptora - Telekinesis
    Pavoni - Biomancy
    Athanaeans - Telepathy

Just a nice bit of consistency.
    They've been around since 'Inquisitor' came out years and years ago, probably before then, too.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

Hey folks:

I was looking at Lexicanum to find out about Company markings for Space Marines.

I want to build a Crimson Fists 6th Company force (under-strength, of course!), and it seems that 6th companies use orange as their colour.

However, in all the art I've seen of the CFs, they don't seem to paint the trim on their shoulder pads in Company colours. They seem to have the trim match the armour's blue.

The only company indication I can see in the CFs is that Veterans (1st company) have both gauntlets red, instead of one.

Hmmm.

7. - Top - End - #697

Like all non-Ultramarines-successor chapters, the Crimson Fists have their own unique heraldry and system of markings. As they're chronically understrength as well, they might be prone to alot of company re-shuffling and more fluid assignments of marines. Either of these could explain it. There's also the fact that orange and red massively clash!

You might be better off asking the Painting or Fluff threads about it though.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    However, in all the art I've seen of the CFs, they don't seem to paint the trim on their shoulder pads in Company colours. They seem to have the trim match the armour's blue.
    Insignium Astartes says Crimson Fists don't use Company markings. Essentially, if you go by the book, there should be no indication that your models are 6th Company unless you say they are. There's no reason given for why this is so, since InsA is just a colours/heraldry guide.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #699
    Bugbear in the Playground

Come to think of it, what do we know about their current organizational structure? Do they even have a 6th company with there being barely enough marines surviving the Rynn's World Incident to fill out a single company?

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    Come to think of it, what do we know about their current organizational structure? Do they even have a 6th company with there being barely enough marines surviving the Rynn's World Incident to fill out a single company?
    They probably have a nominal 6th Company, but I can't imagine there's anyone in it...they'd fill out the Battle Companies first, I think, before worrying about the reserves.

11. - Top - End - #701

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    They probably have a nominal 6th Company, but I can't imagine there's anyone in it...they'd fill out the Battle Companies first, I think, before worrying about the reserves.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that the 6th was reserve. Even if a meaningful amount of the 6th survived it would be dissolved to help rebuild 2nd-5th. Or at least it would in a codex chapter, from which the Crimson Fists deviate slightly.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2012-07-11 at 09:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh yeah, I forgot that the 6th was reserve. Even if a meaningful amount of the 6th survived it would be dissolved to help rebuild 2nd-5th. Or at least it would in a codex chapter, from which the Crimson Fists deviate slightly.
    Do the Crimson Fists deviate from the Codex aside from the measures taken to deal with the whole nearly getting wiped out thing?

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Current, post-Rynn's World;
    They have less than 500 Marines, and 128 of those are in the 1st Company.
    So, yeah. It's actually highly unlikely that they have a 6th Company at all.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-07-11 at 09:57 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #704

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Do the Crimson Fists deviate from the Codex aside from the measures taken to deal with the whole nearly getting wiped out thing?
    At full strength their 1st company is over-strength by codex and the captain of the 1st is the chapter master.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2012-07-11 at 09:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

At full strength their 1st company is over-strength by codex and the captain of the 1st is the chapter master.
    Gotcha, thanks.

16. - Top - End - #706

All this talk of Crimison Fists got me thinking about their sibling chapter. The Black Templars are known for being fanatical adherents of the Imperial Cult, but was that even a thing at the time of the Second Founding?

17. - Top - End - #707
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Current, post-Rynn's World;
    They have less than 500 Marines, and 128 of those are in the 1st Company.
    So, yeah. It's actually highly unlikely that they have a 6th Company at all.
    The Captain of the 6th is still alive, so it will be a task force led by the Master of the Watch. Since they don't use Company markings though, it doesn't really matter.

I figured the reserves would be built up first, since they're trying to rebuild. I also figured that the reserves would be most likely to have survived the Battle of Rynn's World, but I can see them sending Marines to the other companies if they were on active duty.

Also 6th Co.=Bikes!

List of Captains, taken from Lexicanum
    Spoiler
    Show

Chapter Master Pedro Kantor - Lord Hellblade, current Crimson Fists Chapter Master (M41), Captain of Crusade Company, 29th Chapter Master
    Captain Drigo Alvez - Captain of the 2nd, Master of the Shield, Captain in charge of defence of New Rynn City, overwhelmed and killed by Orks (dec.)
    Captain Ashor Drakken - Captain of the 3rd, Master of the Line, killed in the assault on Krugerport (dec.)[
    Captain Alessio Cortez - Master of the Charge
    , Nigh-invulnerable Captain of the 4th Company (pres dec.)
    Captain Selig Torres - Captain of the 5th
    Captain Olbyn Kadena - Captain of the 6th, Master of the Watch
    Captain Caldimus Ortiz - Captain of the 7th, Master of the Gates
    (.dec)
    Captain Matteo Morrelis - Captain of the 8th, Master of Blades
    Captain Raphael Acastus - Captain of the 9th, Master of Siege
    Captain Ishmael Icario - Captain of the 10th, Master of Shadows

Right, it seems that the HQ of the Crimson Fists have largely survived. This makes sense. They have a lot of Captains and support staff etc etc, but not many actual marines.

I think the Captain of the 10th will be very important right now, since it's his responsibility to replenish the Chapter's ranks.

The chances are that the Crimson Fists don't currently use a Company structure, fighting at the squad level until they have more marines. Captains will likely take command of several squads and operate in small units.

So, yeah, I'm thinking, play as the Master of the Watch and whatever bikers he's gathered.

Hmm, I'm wondering, have Crimson Fists never used company markings, or could it be a later development?
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-07-12 at 06:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    The main fluff change I found was in the Galactic Map at the end of Appendix 1. A whole series of places have been moved around, some quite extremely.

I was never that up on Galactic geography, but I swear the Tau Empire was south of Macragge, not north. And wasn't the Storm of The Emperor's Wrath in Ultima Segmentum? Now it's just east of the Gothic Sector. Badab is also much closer to the Maelstrom than I remember.
    (warning: big)
    Spoiler
    Show

This starmap is at least four years old, and it already contains the things you noted (the Storm of the E's W is on the ultima/obscurus border). Except for the Necron thing and the "astro telepathic duct tape" ...
    Last edited by Bavarian itP; 2012-07-12 at 07:03 AM.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I figured the reserves would be built up first, since they're trying to rebuild. I also figured that the reserves would be most likely to have survived the Battle of Rynn's World, but I can see them sending Marines to the other companies if they were on active duty.
    Not entirely. For critically under-strength Chapters, there is no such thing as a Reserve Company. And them 'building their Reserves' is exactly what they have been doing.
    In 989.M41, 128 Marines survived the Rynn's World disaster. These are the only Marines left and they go on to become the 1st Company.
    In 999.M41, ten years have passed, and somehow the CFs are at 'less than 500' strength.

Almost the entirety of the current Crimson Fists Chapter are Scouts as none of the non-Survivors can have been a Marine for more than ten years. Which mostly means that anybody not-Sternguard, and not in Scout-Armour, has only worn Power Armour for approximately 2-3 years.

And that's basically the current Crimson Fists situation; 128 Veteran Marines, and ~300 Scouts, and about 50 Tactical Marines - who can ride Bikes if they survived R'sW since the Armoury was destroyed.

Hmm, I'm wondering, have Crimson Fists never used company markings, or could it be a later development?
    It's really not clear. Since aside from Rynn's World and it's after-effects, there's actually very little in regards to CF fluff, it's quite definitely a post-Rynn's World affectation since their Company Structure has fallen apart entirely, but, before R'sWD, who knows? Personally I think Blue Armour and orange Company shoulder rims would look terrible...
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

I thought the 128 survivors thing was from the Crusade of Righteous Liberation, not the Battle for Rynn's World.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/C...ous_Liberation

I was of the opinion that they kept 128 Veterans since that Crusade, which was another time in which they almost lost their whole Chapter (in fact, this seems more disastrous than Rynn's World, aside from the loss of the Fortress Monastery, PDF forces and civilians. But it's 40K, PDF and civilians don't matter.)

EDIT: Is it just me, or are CFs just as unlucky as the Lamenters?

I think that the CFs, being under 500 just now, would probably have 128 Veterans, 150 Marines and about 150 Scouts, as well as a lot of support staff (Apothecaries, Techmarines and Librarians) kicking around. I guess about 200 or so survived Rynn's World. Most of these would be Veterans, or promoted to Veteran status here.

I certainly agree that orange trim would look hideous. I think that the survivors likely won't form into Companies, yet, but would likely form Strike Forces under their officers. I'll pick from the list of survivors to make the officers. Going for the Master of the Watch, since he'll be a biker.

EDIT:

Hmm, I wonder, do CFs use squad markings? And, if they do, what happens when squads from different companies fight together? How do we tell 2nd Company 1st squad from 3rd Company 1st Squad? Maybe the squad markings are different colours.

All I know is that I'm not putting orange on my CF bikers.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-07-12 at 09:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was of the opinion that they kept 128 Veterans since that Crusade, which was another time in which they almost lost their whole Chapter.
    Oh, lol. Then it happened twice. Since the CF casualties for Rynn's World Disaster was approximately 800. Poor Crimson Fists. Having to start from near-scratch twice.

I think that the CFs, being under 500 just now, would probably have 128 Veterans, 150 Marines and about 150 Scouts
    Err...You're going to need a source for that. Especially because 'I think' is there. It takes approximately 7-8 years for a brand-new Neophyte to wear Power Armour. If Rynn's World brought the Chapter down to less than 200 - which it did - and 128 of those became the new 1st Company, since that's the tradition, you don't have a lot of time to pull 150 Marines and 150 extra Scouts on top of that since recruitment and implantation is not perfect, which those numbers imply.

The concept of Crimson Fists is a whole bunch of very experienced warriors being forced to cart around a whole bunch of Newbies and not doing too well a job of it. The more you try and stuff 'normal guys' into it, the further away from the established fluff you get.

I think that the survivors likely won't form into Companies, yet, but would likely form Strike Forces under their officers.
    I see the words 'I think' in there. Lucky for you, that's exactly what the CFs do.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #712
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Oh, lol. Then it happened twice. Since the CF casualties for Rynn's World Disaster was approximately 800. Poor Crimson Fists. Having to start from near-scratch twice.

Err...You're going to need a source for that. Especially because 'I think' is there. It takes approximately 7-8 years for a brand-new Neophyte to wear Power Armour. If Rynn's World brought the Chapter down to less than 200 - which it did - and 128 of those became the new 1st Company, since that's the tradition, you don't have a lot of time to pull 150 Marines and 150 extra Scouts on top of that since recruitment and implantation is not perfect, which those numbers imply.
    Good points!

I wonder how many of their 10th Company survived the Rynn's World disaster? Because, some of those Scouts could have been near to finishing their training, gene-manipulation and what-have-you. That, combined with extremely rapid recruitment, could get an extra 100 boys suited in power armour. Unlikely, though, since Scouts would likely die quite easily on RW.

I'm thinking that some of the remaining scouts on RW would get power armour soon after. They could therefore have been full Marines for up to 10 years, some 5, etc.

23. - Top - End - #713

Well, as for the CF markings situation, as there are so few of them they might just remember each others names and what their armour looks like!

As they've lost access to their original armoury, they might use scavenged/frankensteined armour from dead marines more often than normal chapters. Not as much as renegade chapters of course, but enough that you're more likely to get distinctive patch jobs and recognisable marines other than a faceless swarm.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm thinking that some of the remaining scouts on RW would get power armour soon after. They could therefore have been full Marines for up to 10 years, some 5, etc.
    I'll try to find my source, but I remember reading in one of the short stories - or maybe it could have be Index Astartes - or like one of the 'fluff boxes' in a White Dwarf or somewhere;

When a critically under-strength Chapter (for example, the Crimson Fists) needs to rebuild quickly, and they have available, stable gene-stock (Ultramarine, Dark Angel and Imperial Fists and successors), the way to do so is just RECRUIT EVERYONE!!!one11!!! Because for every Marine they make, they get two more Gene-Seeds, leading to rapid, exponential growth in a short period of time. And it's also why 'under-strength' Chapters have an enormous disproportion of Scouts.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Also, isn't there precedent of the blood angels recieving stored gene seed from their successor chapters after some particularly disastrous losses? Could the Imperial fists have been nearby and given the Crimson fists some of their gene seed in a similar manner?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

26. - Top - End - #716
    Troll in the Playground

This makes perfect sense, yeah.

Re: Squark, it's more likely that the Black Templars would give the Crimson Fists gene-seed than the Imperial Fists, since they would be happy to ignore the rules on such, and also had very clsoe links during the Declates Crusade, fighting in mixed squads, and using mixed heraldry between the two Chapters.

Hmm, how to represent this on the table-top.

A disproportionate amount of HQ units (always take the max, with Command squads), Troops filled with Scouts, Sternguard spam in the Elites? Pedro seems to support this notion. A shame though, because I want bikes and like how Crimson Fists look/act.

What Chapters are known for bikes? Not Dark Angels or White Scars, though, I don't like their fluff, really.

Edit: This is totally a fluff discussion, or the other thread? Keep it here?
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-07-13 at 05:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #717

A White Scars successor chapter that happens to have fluff you like?

All this talk of Crimison Fists got me thinking about their sibling chapter. The Black Templars are known for being fanatical adherents of the Imperial Cult, but was that even a thing at the time of the Second Founding?
    Well the BT were the most rabid fanatics of the Imperial Fists legion, lead by Sigismund "chosen as the Emperors Champion for his fervent faith in the emperor and his undying devotin to mankind" (BT codex)

so yeah, adherents to the cult as far as possible. Remember that the Cult as we know it today did not exist until several thousand years after empy bit the dust.
    Last edited by Borgh; 2012-07-15 at 11:23 AM.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    A White Scars successor chapter that happens to have fluff you like?
    They kinda get shafted there. Their successors are either boring or don't exist much.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Make one up? There are a lot more successor chapters than are officially named/described, to leave room for people who want to create their own.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

For that matter, you can always make up a chapter that has no idea whose gene seed they have. Or, you could do a pre-Rynn's world disaster Crimson Fists (Seriously. You have the whole 41st millenium to work with. The Rynn's world disasterhappened in the last 12 years of it).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe