New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darksiders

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Darksiders

So I got Darksiders I & II through the Steam Winter Sale and decided to play II first, since I had seen all of I's cutscenes a long time ago, before even thinking of playing the games.

I like it so far, though I hate the boss battle against Karkinos and I'm still stuck on it. I keep rolling the eggs into it, but they either bounce off or turn into sea crags mid-throw.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darksiders

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    So I got Darksiders I & II through the Steam Winter Sale and decided to play II first, since I had seen all of I's cutscenes a long time ago, before even thinking of playing the games.

I like it so far, though I hate the boss battle against Karkinos and I'm still stuck on it. I keep rolling the eggs into it, but they either bounce off or turn into sea crags mid-throw.
    Holding your mousewheel button pressed let's you charge them in. If you already do that then... on what mode do you play? I remember it being fairly easy (although I mistimed 2).
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If I remember correctly, you need to wait for Karkinos to charge, and then roll the eggs into its back, knocking it over.

Also, a tip for later in the game: weapons with health regeneration on hit are among the best in the game. The health recovery is equal to a percentage of your damage, so possessed scythes with health regen, critical chance and critical damage can get you far, and make the game's relatively high enemy damage values far more manageable.

My possessed scythes built this way got me through the first 95 waves of the Crucible in one sitting. Then I died to a Sorrow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I just finished Darksiders 1 last night. I'm finally done with staring at War's double-chin! Time to install DS2!

Should I keep DS1 installed while installing DS2, or does it not make a difference? I'm afraid there might be carry-overs between the 2 games?

DS1 didn't really give you a chance to invest in War's non-sword weapons. Given the free-roam nature of DS2 that I keep hearing about, I'm hoping this means I get the chance to play around with Death's more esoteric equipment without worrying about weakening him too much for the main plot. Bought DS2 during Steam sale, has all the available DLCs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    I just finished Darksiders 1 last night. I'm finally done with staring at War's double-chin! Time to install DS2!

Should I keep DS1 installed while installing DS2, or does it not make a difference? I'm afraid there might be carry-overs between the 2 games?

DS1 didn't really give you a chance to invest in War's non-sword weapons. Given the free-roam nature of DS2 that I keep hearing about, I'm hoping this means I get the chance to play around with Death's more esoteric equipment without worrying about weakening him too much for the main plot. Bought DS2 during Steam sale, has all the available DLCs.
    Getting the "game complete" achievement in Darksiders unlocks two low-level items for Death early on in Darksiders 2. They both serve rather well for a number of levels, the scythes especially (they have a ludicrously high +crit chance and +crit damage property, which given they are legendary items cannot be passed on to possessed weapons).

As for gear in Darksiders 2: if Darksiders 1 was (roughly) Zelda + God of War + Devil May Cry, then Darksiders 2 is that plus Diablo. Again, roughly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Managed to finish off Karkinos easily enough after a bit more struggling. The bosses after that were easier. Now I'm on the flying ship and boy, I hate it. Love the concept idea, hate hate HATE the execution. Platforms moving in multiple directions at the same time while you have to hop between them? Okay, that can be quite difficult. Making jumps where the camera angle makes a 180 when you hit something with death's grasp? Downright near impossible. It gets worse when there are multiple of them in a row. God. Hate it. So much hate.

EDIT: Gotten past that point, but man, that took much longer than it should have.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-01-20 at 03:28 PM.
    YouTube channel:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just played approx 4 hrs of Darksiders 2. Very very good. I disagree with all the complaints I've previously heard via hearsay, especially in comparison with DS1.

(1) "Dumbed down combat. Poorly paced dungeons."
    Death has more complex combo system than War, and just more combos in general. The lack of block is more than replaced by a better evolved dodge system. Played 2 dungeons so far and I don't feel any poor pacing. Only aspect of poor pacing is if you wander around and stumble on an optional/secret boss your Death is absolutely not ready for.

(2) "Slow plot/game pacing due to addition of Diablo gamplay element."
    I don't like Diablo type games, this is why: I like looting and customization, but I don't like mouse-click combat which lacks skill-based gameplay. DS2 is Diablo "done right": The loot/customization system I like, plus DMC/GoW-type skill-based combat application of your loot/customization.
    As for the Diablo-style fetch quests... Meh, I don't care. As long as I keep getting more of the above.

Only problem with the game I'm currently having, is I just hit level 5, so all my DLC items suddenly come into play and I'm spoiled for choice. I feel like I'm cheating, or I don't have an opportunity to slowly grow into my loot. I wish there's an easy way to mod this game; I'd mod my DLC items across a range of exp levels rather than just all unlocking at level 5.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Just played approx 4 hrs of Darksiders 2. Very very good. I disagree with all the complaints I've previously heard via hearsay, especially in comparison with DS1.

(1) "Dumbed down combat. Poorly paced dungeons."
    Death has more complex combo system than War, and just more combos in general. The lack of block is more than replaced by a better evolved dodge system. Played 2 dungeons so far and I don't feel any poor pacing. Only aspect of poor pacing is if you wander around and stumble on an optional/secret boss your Death is absolutely not ready for.

(2) "Slow plot/game pacing due to addition of Diablo gamplay element."
    I don't like Diablo type games, this is why: I like looting and customization, but I don't like mouse-click combat which lacks skill-based gameplay. DS2 is Diablo "done right": The loot/customization system I like, plus DMC/GoW-type skill-based combat application of your loot/customization.
    As for the Diablo-style fetch quests... Meh, I don't care. As long as I keep getting more of the above.

Only problem with the game I'm currently having, is I just hit level 5, so all my DLC items suddenly come into play and I'm spoiled for choice. I feel like I'm cheating, or I don't have an opportunity to slowly grow into my loot. I wish there's an easy way to mod this game; I'd mod my DLC items across a range of exp levels rather than just all unlocking at level 5.
    As you said: Options rule. The nice thing was I had possessed scythes pretty early on with great stats. The secondary weapon system was awesome. Either an even faster weapon or a slower stronger weapon next to your pretty fast scythes. I remember running around nearly not using my scythes from time to time because my secondaries were that much better. You actually can kill all the enemies you meet right from the start... if you don't let you get hit. Although about the equipment there are a few things that sucked.
    No tooltips for special abilities and amulets that are a real tough choice between regenerating this or regenerating that, special abilities or stats.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Trust me, most of the DLC items soon get eclipsed by standard gear, and when your first possessed weapon shows up, they'll become even more redundant.

Only the Chaos Fang scythes you get for beating DS1 have any longevity, due to their utterly insane +200% crit damage and relatively high crit chance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh okay then. I guess I'll just abuse my DLC sets while I can. I'll use it to go kill that secret boss in the Weeping Crags dungeon. With my current non-DLC gear, he kills me in 1-2 hits.

As for the "Diablo pacing of the story lacking urgency"... If I was the writer for DS2, I'd have written it differently if I wanted a naked weak Death gradually powering up via leveling/looting. Plotwise it does seem strange, since Death wasn't de-powered like War.

I would have set DS2's story to be shortly before the events of DS1. when the game starts, Death would be off doing his own thing regarding the Crowfather, nothing concerning War. Negotiations with Crowfather falls through, as it does in the current game, and Death gets zapped into the other world. With the side effect of him being stripped of his equipment and much of his power.

Then as the game progresses to the midway point, the events of DS1 happens, and urgency is added as Death decides to stop playing around, hurry up to regain more power, and go investigate for War. This explains both his absence early on in DS1, and also allows him to just quest around without slowing a narrative established at the very beginning.
    Last edited by MLai; 2013-01-21 at 08:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

How good are possessed weapons? I've got a bunch, but only noticed them really when I noticed a pop-up telling me I got another one and telling me how to make them stronger. All white/green gear I've found so far I've already sold, though.
    YouTube channel:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

How good are possessed weapons? I've got a bunch, but only noticed them really when I noticed a pop-up telling me I got another one and telling me how to make them stronger. All white/green gear I've found so far I've already sold, though.
    Possessed weapons are the best in the game, if you build them right.

The secret is feeding them a weapon with +% health steal or health on hit, I forget exactly what the stat is called. Combining this with +crit chance and +crit damage makes you hit very hard, and vastly increases your survivability.

A possessed weapon with this setup effectively renders other weapons obsolete, and is key to completing the Crucible and, arguably, some of the later optional bosses.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I see... is there a limit to the amount of weapons you can feed to a possessed weapon?
    YouTube channel:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Trust me, most of the DLC items soon get eclipsed by standard gear, and when your first possessed weapon shows up, they'll become even more redundant.

Only the Chaos Fang scythes you get for beating DS1 have any longevity, due to their utterly insane +200% crit damage and relatively high crit chance.
    Many of the DLC secondary weapons are actually possessed weapons, which helps.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I see... is there a limit to the amount of weapons you can feed to a possessed weapon?
    Different items give different amounts of XP to a possessed weapon. You can level them up to five times.

And yes, you can feed possessed weapons to possessed weapons. It's a good way to pass on weapon traits that you want to keep.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I rather preferred 1 on the whole. DS1 was basically Zelda, which the PC doesn't get enough of. The whole gear thing felt super superfluous in 2, and War felt a lot chunkier and nice to control, and the game overstayed its premise a little bit.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I think I may start up Darksiders 1 soon, as I'm nearly halfway through 2 now and I kind of got the feeling like WHERE ARE ALL THE ANGELS AND DEMONS? I know they aren't supposed to be in it, as Death is just bailing War out, but still.
    YouTube channel:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

All the level 5 DLC heavy hammers/axes seem to be plain Possessed Weapons without any attributes. So I'm supposed to level/specialize them with food of my choosing... They're all the same except for appearance, right?

Personally I rather preferred 1 on the whole. DS1 was basically Zelda, which the PC doesn't get enough of. The whole gear thing felt super superfluous in 2, and War felt a lot chunkier and nice to control, and the game overstayed its premise a little bit.
    I've finished DS1 and I'm about 6 hours into DS2 (currently in the Maker-lands). I personally feel DS2 is a better game, or at least a worthy sequel.

(1) DS1 felt more like GoW or DMC to me. Which is fine. But I've played GoW3, DMC1, and DMC4.

(2) I currently like the Diablo-style gear implementation in DS2. I can't think of any other DMC-type game that has a Diablo loot/customization system. I never did manage to collect all the pieces of that secret Abyssal Armour for War, and even if I did it would have only been used for the final battle anyways.

(3) Now that I'm using Death, I realize how slow and plodding War was. Death has a better dodge system (reminds me of Spiderman), more integrated primary-secondary weapon system, and he scrabbles about walls and cliffs like those gravity-defying Moria goblins in LOTR. It would have been nice if I could select between the 4 Horsemen, though. Or at least select between Death and War, as a fun DLC or something. I wouldn't mind if they just copy/paste him into DS2, plot be damned.

(4) The premise is fine, but DS2's story could be better. I'm currently at the beginning of the story, but it feels like it's just retreading old ground (Death: "I want to clear my brother's name") and I'm 6 hours in and the plot is currently irrelevant (Death: "I have to help these giant Scots with their Fern Gully problem that has nothing to do with my brother or the Heaven-Hell War.")
    I'm 6 hours into the game, and I should be knee-deep in conspiracies and shifting alliances in all of the Purgatory realms on the sidelines of the Heaven-Earth-Hell War. A large free-travel game is a format meant for that type of sprawling web of storytelling, rather than a linear plot with a singular focus (the game is not linear, but the plot seems to be). Game of Thrones this is not, and it could have been.

I think I may start up Darksiders 1 soon, as I'm nearly halfway through 2 now and I kind of got the feeling like WHERE ARE ALL THE ANGELS AND DEMONS?
    Yeah, they're all on Earth, in War's game.
    Despite some of the fantasy-esque locales, all of DS1 takes place on Earth except for a brief jaunt into Eden near the end of the game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

All the level 5 DLC heavy hammers/axes seem to be plain Possessed Weapons without any attributes. So I'm supposed to level/specialize them with food of my choosing... They're all the same except for appearance, right?

(4) The premise is fine, but DS2's story could be better. I'm currently at the beginning of the story, but it feels like it's just retreading old ground (Death: "I want to clear my brother's name") and I'm 6 hours in and the plot is currently irrelevant (Death: "I have to help these giant Scots with their Fern Gully problem that has nothing to do with my brother or the Heaven-Hell War.")
    I'm 6 hours into the game, and I should be knee-deep in conspiracies and shifting alliances in all of the Purgatory realms on the sidelines of the Heaven-Earth-Hell War. A large free-travel game is a format meant for that type of sprawling web of storytelling, rather than a linear plot with a singular focus (the game is not linear, but the plot seems to be). Game of Thrones this is not, and it could have been.

Yeah, they're all on Earth, in War's game.
    Despite some of the fantasy-esque locales, all of DS1 takes place on Earth except for a brief jaunt into Eden near the end of the game.
    I think so.

You're helping them because you have to get to the Tree of Life (Which is Yggdrasil as a transport system) and corruption is blocking the path. Also:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corruption is very related to the Horsemen and Death in particular.

And I think I prefer it as an action game than a political intrigue game, especially since the war is over by the time 2 starts. It was over about the time War fought Straga in the prologue of 1.

You also go to the outskirts of the White City, which is basically Heaven, and I'm not sure the Tower is part of Earth either.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    And I think I prefer it as an action game than a political intrigue game,
    The plot of the game does not affect the gameplay.

especially since the war is over by the time 2 starts. It was over about the time War fought Straga in the prologue of 1.
    There's a century worth of time between the Apocalypse (DS1 prologue mission) and when War starts the game proper in DS1. The war should still be going on when Death is adventuring in DS2.

You also go to the outskirts of the White City, which is basically Heaven, and I'm not sure the Tower is part of Earth either.
    I don't remember seeing Heaven/ White City.
    The Tower is part of Earth; you see it on the horizon when you're in the post-apocalyptic city.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tower is part of Earth; you see it on the horizon when you're in the post-apocalyptic city.
    I believe he's talking about the penultimate overworld in DS2. Though calling it an overworld is perhaps a little generous.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The plot of the game does not affect the gameplay.

There's a century worth of time between the Apocalypse (DS1 prologue mission) and when War starts the game proper in DS1. The war should still be going on when Death is adventuring in DS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    I believe he's talking about the penultimate overworld in DS2. Though calling it an overworld is perhaps a little generous.
    Again, I didn't want the political intrigue.

And, no, the White City closed and locked the gates after Straga killed Abbadon. After that, the war was essentially over, though Ariel and the survivng hell guard continued to strike as best they could, since they were stuck on earth with no way home.

No, the final boss fight in 1 takes place right outside the White City, it's why you have to get Azrael's help.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Nevermind the Possessed Weapons. Each time I feed a weapon that'd upgrade them, my game freezes.
    YouTube channel:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    And, no, the White City closed and locked the gates after Straga killed Abbadon. After that, the war was essentially over, though Ariel and the survivng hell guard continued to strike as best they could, since they were stuck on earth with no way home.

No, the final boss fight in 1 takes place right outside the White City, it's why you have to get Azrael's help.
    Wow, that doesn't make any sense. I'll chalk it up to sophomoric writing.

(1) I didn't realize the Hellguard can't go back. That makes no sense.
    (2) If they're fighting right outside the White City, it makes even less sense that the Hellguard can't go home.
    (3) So Abaddon was attacking Heaven... by himself... yeah ok.

The Black Tower was definitely on Earth, though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, that doesn't make any sense. I'll chalk it up to sophomoric writing.

(1) I didn't realize the Hellguard can't go back. That makes no sense.
    (2) If they're fighting right outside the White City, it makes even less sense that the Hellguard can't go home.
    (3) So Abaddon was attacking Heaven... by himself... yeah ok.

The Black Tower was definitely on Earth, though.
    White City/Heaven locked the gates after Abbadon died. Hellguard can go to the gates, but they will not open, to keep demons from getting in.

And Abbadon's pride and over confidence is one of the driving forces of the plot.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Whelp, I guess I'm done with Darksiders II. I'm at the City of the Dead, on the first floor, and I can't get past the advancing killing floor where I'm supposed to out-climb it and reach... whatever floor it leads to. It may very well just be my computer being a little too slow and my keyboard's keys occasionally misfiring, but the end result is still the same.

It saddens me.
    YouTube channel:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You're playing DS2 (and going to play DS1) with keyboard + mouse?
    Get a PC control pad. It's worth it. Really.
    You'll get plenty of use out of it with other PC action-adventure games even after you're done with this franchise.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

You'll get plenty of use out of it with other PC action-adventure games even after you're done with this franchise.
    It's overrated really. I played both with keyboard + mouse. Played it again with gamepad and the only thing "better" is the reachability of secondary skills everything else stays the same if you have a mouse with "extrabuttons".
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

What makes such a big change about it? Never seen the need for it while playing Assassin's Creed or Skyrim. I do still have the other AC games, Devil May Cry and BioShock lying around waiting to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    It's overrated really. I played both with keyboard + mouse. Played it again with gamepad and the only thing "better" is the reachability of secondary skills everything else stays the same if you have a mouse with "extrabuttons".
    Just an ordinary mouse here.

And currently no income.
    YouTube channel:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

What makes such a big change about it? Never seen the need for it while playing Assassin's Creed or Skyrim. I do still have the other AC games, Devil May Cry and BioShock lying around waiting to be played.

Just an ordinary mouse here.

And currently no income.
    The need could be explained to be used to play such games with a gamepad. I found it hard to play AC2 without Gamepad and as such stayed with it. Same goes for Legend of Dragoon, I'll play it with Pad instead of keyboard (I'm emulating this).
    Bioshock or every other "shooter" like skyrim, fallout or such I see better with Keyboard Mouse as I suck at aiming with a controller.
    I've got F.3.A.R. at christmas for the PS3 and well... I played the prologue on easy and wasted ammunition on the first guard you try to kill there and even with bullet time and such stuff I died in a room where you are forced to rush into. Normally such shooters (like Quake 4) I play on at least Normal (or the next after normal).

Those buttons are not necessary as long as you configured everything else in a good way. My Mouse-Extrabuttons only were for the Grip and for the Gun to change between these two. The part you mentioned... let's just say I needed a few tries too, just memorize that part. Good Luck.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman