New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

The old Necron Codex called them The Talismans of Vaul- Vaul being the Eldar god of the forge.

In the Eye of Terror campaign, Eldar is sucked into the Corrupted infinity circuit of one of them.

Suggesting some Eldarish nature to them.

I did wonder if this might be retconned- with it instead being a tesseract labyrinth, and with the Blackstones being used by the Necrons to shatter the C'tan.

On humans- while when the Old Ones were beaten, and the Necrons went into stasis, 60 million years ago, the humans were only shrewish-looking proto primates, the Old Necron codex said the Pariah gene in humans was the result of "a terrible crop planted in ages past" by "the Devoured Ones"- seems like a hint at Necron meddling.

Maybe with the new codex saying the Triarch Praetorians were awake all that time, it now makes more sense that they were the ones meddling with humans, much later on.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So I was talking to a friend and he said how much he hates how their are a crap ton of Space Marines and not enough color schemes for the other races. Here is my 2 minute research:

300 Still Loyal
    69 Chaos Space Marines
    10 Lost
    12 left blank on the Lexicanum
    5 with ???? according to the Lexicanum
    4 Renegade (1 of which still supporting the Imperium?)
    2 Expunged, because they are from the lost primarchs

That's about 349 chapters.

Necron Dynasties and Dark Eldar Kabals are a crap ton. Though less than Space Marines.

Imperial Guard a crap ton of Regiments as well, too much to count.

Tau 22 colonies and one Homeworld.

Tyranids three main hive fleets and 19 minor ones.

Five Major Craftworld and 20 minor ones for Eldar.

Orks?
    9 clans including Speed Freaks and Feral.

Any of these numbers surprise anyone? I'm pretty surprised about the Orks, but then again, I'm biased.
    Last edited by DontEatRawHagis; 2012-04-19 at 06:26 PM.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, I finally got around to finishing the Ultramarines Omnibus. Overall, I like the characters and found it fairly engaging, although I wish Warriors of Ultramar had spent more time dealing with how Space Marines deal with what they gave up by becoming space marines, but I can understand why that might hurt the narrative flow some. Black Sun, Dead Sky (Might be the other way arround) was a lot of fun, although I think my favorite characters were the Unfleshed; There's just something strangely sad and yet heroic about all they've gone through, and it still hasn't dashed their faith in the Emperor.

Spoiler
    Show
    I really thought Ardaric Vaanes was going to come back for a heroic redemption. I wonder if McNiell deliberately channeled Han Solo's line in A New Hope there to mislead readers.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
    So I was talking to a friend and he said how much he hates how their are a crap ton of Space Marines and not enough color schemes for the other races. Here is my 2 minute research:

300 Still Loyal
    69 Chaos Space Marines
    10 Lost
    12 left blank on the Lexicanum
    5 with ???? according to the Lexicanum
    4 Renegade (1 of which still supporting the Imperium?)
    2 Expunged, because they are from the lost primarchs

That's about 349 chapters.

Necron Dynasties and Dark Eldar Kabals are a crap ton. Though less than Space Marines.

Imperial Guard a crap ton of Regiments as well, too much to count.

Tau 22 colonies and one Homeworld.

Tyranids three main hive fleets and 19 minor ones.

Five Major Craftworld and 20 minor ones for Eldar.

Orks?
    9 clans including Speed Freaks and Feral.

Any of these numbers surprise anyone? I'm pretty surprised about the Orks, but then again, I'm biased.
    Woohoo, back to screaming at the top of my lungs about fluff! I've missed this.
    (note: the following is not yet screamed at the top of my lungs.)
    I'm fairly sure the numbers are quite a bit larger then what you thought of in here. I'm sure for starters that the BRB states somewhere that there are around a 1000 chapters of loyalists at most times and then there are the infinite number of Chaos warbands, possibly each with their own heraldry. Add this to all the chapters who got lost over time and might crop up though "the warp did it" shenanigans you have several thousand possibilities.

The Dark eldar are indeed a crapton and I'd argue there is more variety then in the Space marines as there are possibly billions of dark eldar, ranging from the greatest Kabals to minor raiding-unions, not even including the garishly coloured Wych cults, jetbike teams and other more individually oriented bits. so several thousand possibilities at the least here.

As for necron, their worlds are pretty much everywhere and I'd say each world and possibly each royal court has its own heraldy so lots of variety there as well.

IG, yup, billions of guardsmen in millions of regiments in an infinity of campaigns will provide every variety you can think of.

Tau I don't really know but don't they use camouflage?

The Tyranids are stated to adapt to circumstance and, biologically, one of the easiest things to adapt is colour. This means that there are as many Tyranid coulour schemes as here are times the hive mind went "maybe bright blue is not that great as camo"

For the Weaklings you need to include the Maiden and Exodite words. This somewhat enlarges their number but it still isn't many.

So I'd aggue there is an almost infinite number of paint schemes that you can make Canonically correct without any effort at all.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I have a question about how a new chapter is founded; Is all the base geneseed of that chapter from a single founding chapter? Also, does a newly founded chapter consider itself a successor of the first founding chapter it shares its geenseed with, or could, for example, you have a Black Templars successor chapter?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

As to where the Geneseed comes from, it depends on how and when the Chapter is being founded. There are basically two ways for a new Chapter to be founded; directly by a parent Chapter, or at the order of the High Lords of Terra from the Adeptus Mechanicus and Inquisition Geneseed stores. The former happens when a Chapter has enough neophytes and Marines that it's exceeding the Codex organization and enough Geneseed stores for rapid recruitment, all in-house. In this case, the Geneseed all comes from that Chapter's pool, and would be considered a Successor to that Chapter directly, and to that Chapter's First Founding Legion indirectly. So, if the Crimson Fists had an excess of Marines (not that they do), they might Found a new Successor Chapter, who would be considered Crimson Fists Successors first, Imperial Fists Successors roughly equally and spiritual followers of Dorn.

The other route, as exemplified with the Cursed Foundings, uses Geneseed from only the Inquisition and Mechanicus knows where, with Chapters that mostly don't even know which Primarch their Gene-stock comes from, with rumours that leftover Geneseed from Traitor Legions was used for, say, the Minotaurs (I think).

In practice, there are already two Black Templars Successors (probably), the White and Red Templars, though the Whites are unconfirmed because the BT don't exactly share much with the rest of the Imperium. At least the Red Templars were merely a gesture to appease the Inquisition and attempt to look like a Codex chapter. In short, there's nothing preventing you from having a Successor to whatever Chapter you want, as long as it's not a Cursed Founding Chapter.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

And even then. Aren't some chapters rumoured to be Cursed Foundung successors?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Aren't some chapters rumoured to be Cursed Foundung successors?
    No. All of the Cursed Founding Chapters have extremely poor geneseed integrity and retention and have enough trouble keeping their own Chapters at fighting strength, let alone founding a new Chapter.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

In a slightly related question, how are new orders of the Adeptas Sororitas formed? What, precisely, causes some to swear vows of chastity and not others and, finally, what kinds of orders see active combat duty?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    No. All of the Cursed Founding Chapters have extremely poor geneseed integrity and retention and have enough trouble keeping their own Chapters at fighting strength, let alone founding a new Chapter.
    What he said. Basically, the Cursed Founding was a resounding failure on all counts. The Chapters that were part of the Founding suffer universally from massive issues with their Gene-stock, whether that be as Cheesegear said Chapters with extreme issues maintaining a pool of functional Geneseed to maintain their numbers or horrible impurities in the gene-stock causing mutations (Black Dragons, Blood Gorgons) and aberrant behavior (Minotaurs, Lamenters). Either of these problems outright eliminates their ability to Found new Chapters, either because of lack of numbers or straight-up Imperial bans on spreading their mutation-causing Geneseed.

In other words, when Fabius Bile looks at your work and says "Hey, when did the Imperium start listening to me? You guys want to swap notes?" (Paraphrased), you know that there's something wrong with it.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    In a slightly related question, how are new orders of the Adeptas Sororitas formed? What, precisely, causes some to swear vows of chastity and not others and, finally, what kinds of orders see active combat duty?
    Sororitas Convents are pretty much wherever any decent Schola Progenium is, where resources also allow ready acquisition of Bolters and Power Armour. Sororitas are basically picked out, similar to Commissars, Assassins and other kinds of Imperial Agents.

You go to school, you're female, and some Inquisitor/Senior Sororitas likes the cut of your jib. You get drafted. I'm unclear whether or not you're allowed to turn down the offer. Other times you just get left at the convent and you're raised as a Battle Sister. I understand that the majority of Sisters come from Orphanariums.

What causes you to swear vows? Guns to your head, personal trauma that you need to fix, choosing the life of a badarse. Why do people join nunneries in the real world? Don't answer that. It's rhetorical. 'Nuns with Guns' isn't far off the mark.

The Sisters are divided into four Orders;
    Order Militant - The Battle Sisters that you're familiar with.
    Order Hospitaller - Medics and Nurses. Not uncommon for them to see combat duty (and positions as an Inquisitor Acolyte). But they're equally as likely to be in a Hive or some well-funded Medicae that has the resources to acquisition Sororitas.
    Order Dialogous - Diplomats
    Order Famulous - Teachers and Chaplains. In the sense of a real-wrold Chaplain, not in the Space Marine sense. Typically these ones tend to be older, retired versions of the above three, but not always.

Only the first two are likely to see combat.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    What he said. Basically, the Cursed Founding was a resounding failure on all counts. The Chapters that were part of the Founding suffer universally from massive issues with their Gene-stock, whether that be as Cheesegear said Chapters with extreme issues maintaining a pool of functional Geneseed to maintain their numbers or horrible impurities in the gene-stock causing mutations (Black Dragons, Blood Gorgons) and aberrant behavior (Minotaurs, Lamenters). Either of these problems outright eliminates their ability to Found new Chapters, either because of lack of numbers or straight-up Imperial bans on spreading their mutation-causing Geneseed.

In other words, when Fabius Bile looks at your work and says "Hey, when did the Imperium start listening to me? You guys want to swap notes?" (Paraphrased), you know that there's something wrong with it.
    Is there a stated reason why the Black Dragons are still allowed other than that their geneseed somehow passes the purity standards? Or a definitive reason how it does so?

I understand that the majority of Sisters come from Orphanariums.
    Is this actually the official IoM term?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Is there a stated reason why the Black Dragons are still allowed other than that their geneseed somehow passes the purity standards? Or a definitive reason how it does so?
    According to Lexicanum, while the Black Dragon's geneseed tithes do pass the purity tests, the inquisition suspect they're stealing it from other sources.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Is this actually the official IoM term?
    Schola Progenium is the name for the places where orphans of Imperials tend to be sent.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    According to Lexicanum, while the Black Dragon's geneseed tithes do pass the purity tests, the inquisition suspect they're stealing it from other sources.
    That, or they have a separate farm of pure geneseed that they use for tithes, and a corrupted geneseed that they actually use for recruits.

The Black Dragons are my favourite chapter.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, ooh! Sisters discussion! Kinda!

What do you guys think of the Living Saints being called Daemons of the big E? It doesn't seem like that far off of a description to me, though phrasing it that way is likely a bad idea.

Then again, I'm not quite sure HOW Saints are granted their power, other than "The Emprah did it!"

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Schola Progenium is the name for the places where orphans of Imperials tend to be sent.
    Schola Progenium means school.
    Orphanarium is a type of Schola for orphans.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Aren't all people in the schola orphans, though? Or is that just commissars?

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Aren't all people in the schola orphans, though? Or is that just commissars?
    In an Orphanarium, yes. Not necessarily in others.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. First time I heard of an Orphanarium as a subset of Scholas. Ok.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarias, King. View Post
    Ooh, ooh! Sisters discussion! Kinda!

What do you guys think of the Living Saints being called Daemons of the big E? It doesn't seem like that far off of a description to me, though phrasing it that way is likely a bad idea.

Then again, I'm not quite sure HOW Saints are granted their power, other than "The Emprah did it!"
    Well, faith powers are a real thing, but apparently are not the same as psychic powers. I always thought it was similar to the Ork manifestation of psychic power, since WAAGH does not seem to operate via the normal rules of warp-magics. But I'm just grasping here.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

In an Orphanarium, yes. Not necessarily in others.
    Given that the usual method of qualifying for entry into a Schola is having one or both parents die in Imperial service, GolemsVoice's comment isn't too far off the truth.

23. - Top - End - #473

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Well, faith powers are a real thing, but apparently are not the same as psychic powers. I always thought it was similar to the Ork manifestation of psychic power, since WAAGH does not seem to operate via the normal rules of warp-magics. But I'm just grasping here.
    Another theory I heard is that as demons are to the Chaos Gods, so Saints are to the Emperor.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #474

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Another theory I heard is that as demons are to the Chaos Gods, so Saints are to the Emperor.
    More like as marked/chosen are to the chaos gods, Saints are to the Emperor. Saints are born as humans, daemons are completely extradimensional matter given form by nightmares and emotional termoil.

In first ed the Sensei were explicitely said to bear 'the mark of the star child', a direct equivilant to 'the mark of khorne/slaanesh/etc", the star child being the Emperor's soul that fled his body to hide in the warp. When 2nd ed cut Sensei (probably for being the bastard son of Highlander and Star Wars) but fleshed out the Sisters of Battle it took a while for Saints to pop up in more detail in 3rd ed and the release of Inquisitor, which detailed the Thorian faction of the Inquisition that believe certain people can be empowered by the Emperor's absent spirit and through studying these people a method for reincarnating the Emperor in a new body could be discovered.

The comic story Daemonifuge also went into Sisters of Battle and oddly empowered servants of the Emperor.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-05-17 at 06:37 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    More like as marked/chosen are to the chaos gods, Saints are to the Emperor. Saints are born as humans, daemons are completely extradimensional matter given form by nightmares and emotional termoil.

In first ed the Sensei were explicitely said to bear 'the mark of the star child', a direct equivilant to 'the mark of khorne/slaanesh/etc", the star child being the Emperor's soul that fled his body to hide in the warp. When 2nd ed cut Sensei (probably for being the bastard son of Highlander and Star Wars) but fleshed out the Sisters of Battle it took a while for Saints to pop up in more detail in 3rd ed and the release of Inquisitor, which detailed the Thorian faction of the Inquisition that believe certain people can be empowered by the Emperor's absent spirit and through studying these people a method for reincarnating the Emperor in a new body could be discovered.

The comic story Daemonifuge also went into Sisters of Battle and oddly empowered servants of the Emperor.
    Actually, mortals can become Daemons too. There are a lot of mortals that become Daemon Princes, for example, such as Angron.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    There are a lot of mortals that become Daemon Princes, for example, such as Angron.
    Huge difference. When a mortal becomes a Daemon, they can't leave the Warp for long or often.

There is no real downside to being Chosen or a Saint.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Also, when mortals become deamons, this is because the Chaos gods infuse them with their power directly (or by some other external power source) wheras normal daemons just spawn by themselves.

28. - Top - End - #478

Huge difference. When a mortal becomes a Daemon, they can't leave the Warp for long or often.
    More like a lot of little differances that add up. Sometimes Daemon Princes are just implied to be chosen that got so many chaos gifts they stopped being human anymore (literally in the case of the second third ed codex) but managed not to lose their minds and become chaos spawn.

Sometimes Chaos Spawn are described as 'failed' daemon princes or that spawndom is a punishment but its also suggested that to a chaos god's inhuman mind both daemon princedom and spawndom are equally great rewards.

Except for the not always beneficial mutations in the chosens case and not being sure whether or not the next priest you meet is going to want to burn you or venerate you in the Saint's case.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2012-05-18 at 08:42 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

So I am currently reading the horus heresy books, and despite enjoying the first four and blazing my way through them, I ground to a halt on Fulgrim. It is just so.... boring. I don't care much about the pursuit of perfection of the pretty boy marines, and I have to ask of the mechanical curdled dairy cog disk if the book gets better and picks up like the previous novels did, or if I should just skip ahead to the next book and pick up the details by inference.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Truedat. I never said they were the same, after all.