New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

Yeah, technically speaking, the old style necrons are still there; They're just no longer the majority (What happens is a tomb world's AI is damaged, and as a result, it starts suborning the control of the necrons entombed, turning them into, well, old-crons, basically)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Tomb World Maire'ee-Soo.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #963
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Yeah, technically speaking, the old style necrons are still there; They're just no longer the majority (What happens is a tomb world's AI is damaged, and as a result, it starts suborning the control of the necrons entombed, turning them into, well, old-crons, basically)
    That, or a Destroyer Lord is in charge.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You might even say they...

got Retcronned.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965

Although on a somewhat serious note:
    The Canoptek wraiths/spiders/scarabs wake up first. Technically they have never been asleep but now they go from Maintenance mode to full on Wake up mode.
    After this it gets a bit confusing and it starts to depend on circumstance. I get the impression the first legions to wake up do a recon sweep to check for Aliens and they try to evict them. If they are unable (or if a certain plucky Commisar pours a refinery worth of burning oil into the tombs) then the wake-up sequence is accelerated and with precedence to the militarily might of the tomb.
    Imotek, the senior comander of his world, is mentioned as waking up to a mostly functioning tombworld so apprently the command structure is not the most important thing to emerge. Maybe the Immortals just wing it or maybe some junior lords set things up while the Phaeron hammers his snooze button.

If no squatters are detected I'm not entirely sure what happens but I'd imagine the whole sequence is pretty much the same only slower and more deliberate.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Troll in the Playground

And, again, the implication is always that it is the journey that takes forever, not the red tape. I suppose it's possible that they're spending years waiting for Charter Captains to inch them closer to Terra, system by system, sometimes waiting for generations between ships...
    Of course it's the journey, but that might be because they can't take the direct route, they fly with old, inferior ships, they wait until they get picked up again/until they have enough money to pay the next leg of the journey... and so on.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

7. - Top - End - #967
    Colossus in the Playground

"They had as wait in line on Alpha Centauri for 42 years, just to have our bags searched."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

It's kinda like that, really. I mean, imagine. The Imperium is pretty paranoid just in it's everyday dealing. Now imagine a neverending flow of pilgrims, all running towards the holiest place in the whole Imperium, where a strategically placed agent of the Arch-Enemy could wreak untold havoc! The security controls must be just incredible.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

9. - Top - End - #969
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And once you get there, entire generations of families live and die in the line to look at the Imperial Palace.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

It's worth it, man. Soil of Terra and all that stuff. But it kind of makes you reconsider the lines at Disney Land.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I wonder, what happens when they get there.

"We have seen the Imperial Palace! Just as our great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather wanted me to!"
    "Now What?"
    "Well, what do we know how to do?"
    "Wait in line."
    "Do we have any family back on Slumarius II?"
    "Not since it got virus bombed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

They probably see it and die from pure pilgrimmy joy. Or maybe they die from an extreme version of Paris Syndrome because the palace isn't exactly what they expected, the service is bad, the people rude and the toilets dirty (entire generations of families lived and died so taht their descendants could go pee).

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Tomb World Maire'ee-Soo.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    They probably see it and die from pure pilgrimmy joy. Or maybe they die from an extreme version of Paris Syndrome because the palace isn't exactly what they expected, the service is bad, the people rude and the toilets dirty (entire generations of families lived and died so that their descendants could go pee).
    You'd think it would be heresy to not reach the toilet in time when you visit the imperial palace.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    How so?
    I think he was just implying that every tomb world is now it's own special snowflake, so Necrons can finally have Mary Sues.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

15. - Top - End - #975

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    You'd think it would be heresy to not reach the toilet in time when you visit the imperial palace.
    Terra is a hive world; stripped long ago of all forms of resources; its soil is utterly barren and its atmosphere is a fog of pollution. Massive, labyrinthine edifices of state sprawl across the vast majority of the surface. Its oceans have long ago boiled away. Many mountain ranges have been leveled, perhaps all of them except the Himalayas, which seemingly remain all but untouched due to the laboratories said to be underneath and the chambers of the Astronomican that course throughout the whole mountain range.
    Despite being devastated during the Horus Heresy and earlier than that during the long Age of Strife, Terra is probably the most vastly-populated and built-up hive world in the Imperium. Beneath countless layers and millennia of urban accretion, catacombs hold older cultures completely different from the surface ones.
    Much of the population of Terra exists in the most terrible squalor, their greatest hope that one of their offspring might be accepted into the Adeptus Terra, the Priesthood of Earth, as a Menial, an adept of the lowliest sort.

A square metre of land on Terra costs more than a palace on any Hive World; only the most wealthy can even afford to own a small section of land.

The Imperial Palace is one of the largest structures on Terra, more like a sprawling hive-city than a single edifice. It covers the better part of the northern hemisphere and is guarded by the Adeptus Custodes, who rarely leave the Palace. It is the heart of the Administratum as well as the home of the Sanctum Imperialis, the great throne room of the Emperor. The Palace is divided into the Inner and Outer Palaces. It is described as "an endless, black hive of forbidden technology and subterranean passages delving deep within the bowels of the planet."
    They have bigger things to worry about than dirty streets - least of all the implication that Terra is so greatly ritualised and dedicated to the Imperial institutions that make it up, the vast majority of the population derive sustenance from cannibalism as no other sources exist unless you live work and die as an Imperial servant in some way.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

16. - Top - End - #976
    Troll in the Playground

No other sources like, you know, Agriworlds, that support every other Hive World in Imperium of Man?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, part of the issue that ordinarily, immigration to a hive world is rather limited. But Terra gets a constant influx of pilgrims, most of whom chose to stay. So you probably have a lot of said pilgrims falling into destitution.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    They have bigger things to worry about than dirty streets - least of all the implication that Terra is so greatly ritualised and dedicated to the Imperial institutions that make it up, the vast majority of the population derive sustenance from cannibalism as no other sources exist unless you live work and die as an Imperial servant in some way.
    If people on Terra are so densely packed, it makes you wonder why staying clean isn't important when a cholera outbreak could kill huge numbers of the poor.
    Last edited by Hazzardevil; 2012-11-02 at 12:07 PM.
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

It likely does, but just as likely nobody cares.

20. - Top - End - #980

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    No other sources like, you know, Agriworlds, that support every other Hive World in Imperium of Man?
    And distribute it, how? Even other Hive Worlds are unable to support their populations even with Agriworld support as well as their own production methods, and Terra is the most overpopulated and securely patrolled of them all.
    And store it, where? The entire continent of Asia is given over just to house the Imperial Palace; that's 3,000 miles to travel before you're not on ground so sacred that even the Inquisition has to ask permission just to visit.
    And how are these pilgrims unemployed, uprooted, desperate pilgrims going to afford to pay for what is probably the most expensive food in the galaxy?

You're right, there are sources like Agriworlds and such that can get shipped to Earth; for those who can afford it, and those important enough to deserve it.

Then remember that you're in competition with the High Lords of Terra, the Great Fortress of the Inquisition, the Schola Psykana, the Adeptus Custodes and the God-Emperor Himself for the label of 'important'

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice
    It likely does, but just as likely nobody cares.
    Yep, pretty much. Always more pilgrims where they came from. It is, after all, an unimaginable privilege to be able to die on Holy Terra, let alone to live there.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-11-02 at 03:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #981

SolithKnightGuy

And feeds Papa Nurgle

jokes aside, I am willing to assume that hive worlds regularly export people in huge numbers to very lightly populated plants for (re)settlement and whatever else one needs lots of warm bodies for

22. - Top - End - #982
    Troll in the Playground

Terra likely has to contribute to the Imperial Guard. They probably take people out of the line and make them join the Guard, and maybe that fast tracks them in the queue.

Why become destitute when you can DIE FOR THE EMPEROR?!
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-11-02 at 03:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #983

OldWizardGuy

"It is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself" after all.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Is it true that each of the Primarchs were designed to play a distinct role, as opposed to falling into it due to their upbringing and the circumstances of the Great Crusade? If personality=function, I can't imagine what Lorgar's job was supposed to be.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

25. - Top - End - #985

OldWizardGuy

Diplomancer, Beaurocrat, Synchophant to the Warmaster.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Is it true that each of the Primarchs were designed to play a distinct role, as opposed to falling into it due to their upbringing and the circumstances of the Great Crusade? If personality=function, I can't imagine what Lorgar's job was supposed to be.
    It is assumed that this is the case. It is also confirmed that each of the Primarchs were given a prater- and/or super- natural gift, but we're not neccesarily told what those gifts are. Confirmed gifts are Corax's ability to make people not look at him, Curze's ability to blend into shadows, and Dorn's ability to see the potential and what they can be, Alpharius can spot a liar. Russ makes those around him fight better.

Less concrete is Magnus is 'the Scholar', and Guilliman is 'the Statesman'.

The Primarchs were each purposely made different so that they could learn tactics from each other and be a dynamic force instead of having stale and predictable tactics.

Funny you bring up Lorgar. Since he's the one who brought it up in The First Heretic. Secondly, he's also the only Primarch without a 'gift' and without a purpose. Whether this is actually true, or whether he only believes it to be so is up for debate, since what Lorgar does...He does really well. Some fans believe that he was intended to be 'The Crusader'.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-11-02 at 10:41 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't read any of the Horus Heresy books sans an art one which just mentioned a crusade and an "enemy" where it never states what it is but it is clear it's chaos if you look at the picture on the front.

Anyway, I thought Magnus's ability was just he was good at research and could find things when researching faster than other people.
    My extended signature.

28. - Top - End - #988

Griffon

Confirmed gifts are Corax's ability to make people not look at him, Curze's ability to blend into shadows, and Dorn's ability to see the potential and what they can be, Alpharius can spot a liar. Russ makes those around him fight better.

We all know that the wings are not necessarily Emperor-given, but is Sanguinious' gift of prophesy not confirmed? Or is that something separate, and his true gift is that of endless compassion?

everyone loved him, and in the story I know he was even willing to forgive Horus before he was killed, but given that I haven't begun reading the Horus Heresy series I don't know how much of that is still 'true' or if we're going back to the Ollanius Pious story instead.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
    I don't have an inherent problem with the idea of hive worlds, it's just that the population figures given are ridiculously low, and IG human-wave tactics would probably not be viable otherwise.
    Very belated point of clarification: When I say 'don't have an inherent problem with', I mean 'I can see how this concept is technically realisable', not that I consider it an intrinsically good idea or a basically desirable state of affairs. (Or neccesarily a bad one. There are plenty of uninhabited rocks in the solar system that could more feasibly be made liveable through this method than any system of gradual terraforming. As long as you make space for Aubrey Plaza. ...I mean Parks and Recreation.)

Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
    Oh, no question. (Though that's a little like asking Michael Jordan if he wants to take up angel investing, or if Richard Branson has the urge to join the NBA.)
    Another very belated point of clarification: I'm not suggesting that top-down eugenics would be a great idea for humans, which for us has been socially and technically dubious at best, to say nothing of the horrifying, god-awful consequences at the other end of the scale.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thing is, background fluff indicates that the Tau castes were already showing serious phenotypic divergence by the time the ethereals showed up (to the extent that Air Tribe specimens even had membranes for gliding.) If they could interbreed at all, that would indicate a recent common ancestry, which in turn suggests some kind of deliberate(?) selection(?) pressure(?) was operating long beforehand. My point being, it may not be fair to apply human moral standards to a species with very different biological foundations for their philosophy.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I wonder, what happens when they get there.

"We have seen the Imperial Palace! Just as our great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather wanted me to!"
    "Now What?"
    "Well, what do we know how to do?"
    "Wait in line."
    "Do we have any family back on Slumarius II?"
    "Not since it got virus bombed."
    I think it's mentioned that few, if any, of these pilgrims actually manage to leave Terra afterwards.

...So that's how they feed the natives.