New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I think once you're a magos, YOU'RE doing the condemning. Well, unless you show up with your newest deamonmachine and go all "look you guyz!"
    I suppose the next question, then, is how I get promoted to Magos. I have no idea what the promotion system for the Admech is. Is it like getting a PhD, where I write a long argument about tech or design something new, and then have to defend it before a council of Magi?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    If it was me, and I was going Heretek on purpose...

I'd bring my new-fangled invention to my peers and be all like "Look what I made." then when I draw up the STC to make it for everyone, I design plans to make a bomb that actually blows up in their face, and when it does, I steal all their stuff.

Then me and my Rogue Trader pal fly off into the Halo Stars screaming "NO-ONE CAN HAVE IT BUT ME!!! BAHAHAHAHA!"
    Sometimes I really like the way you think. Still, I feel like it'd be better to do things the legal way, and thus keep the support of the most powerful organization in the Imperium.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose the next question, then, is how I get promoted to Magos. I have no idea what the promotion system for the Admech is. Is it like getting a PhD, where I write a long argument about tech or design something new, and then have to defend it before a council of Magi?
    Probably this, but I'd expect they'd let you work a long time as an apprentice to all kinds of people, doing the lowest work and instilling proper respect before both the Machine God and your superiors. Since it's easy to live for 100+ years for techpriests, you can expect working your fair share of time as a nobody.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #1233

Kobold

Probably this, but I'd expect they'd let you work a long time as an apprentice to all kinds of people, doing the lowest work and instilling proper respect before both the Machine God and your superiors. Since it's easy to live for 100+ years for techpriests, you can expect working your fair share of time as a nobody.
    Well, except that as a player-character, this techpriest would be an Explorator, and thus already out on his own doing stuff and having adventures with no adult supervision.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe bring back something that is useful to the AdMech? Forgotten technology? A newly charted, useful world? Or maybe they gave you a mission beforehand? Or maybe just serving in a leadership position on a ship for a certain time is enough? There's likely as many methods as there are AdMech temples.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Still, I feel like it'd be better to do things the legal way, and thus keep the support of the most powerful organization in the Imperium.
    What does the Administratum have to do with this?
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Troll in the Playground

You mean the Imperial Guard? Because the Administratum can count things. But can it count Guardsmen? No! Because there are ALWAYS MORE GUARDSMEN!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Barbarian in the Playground

Once you get to High Magos you do make your own rules to an extent, but there are a short list of things that will get anyone excommunicated and declared thoroughly heretek.

The aformentioned ban on AIs, "Abominable Intelligences" as they call them, is one of the top offences. The obvious evil of them being agreed by most, what with being one of the main reasons for the fall of Man's first empire. The War of the Iron Men was basically a galaxy wide version of The Terminator, with predictably bleak results. No repeats please!

Any blending of the warp and technology is also a big no-no. I've heard rumours this is because experimentation with, corruption by, and ultimately possession of technology by the warp was what caused said Iron Men to revolt in the first place. And seriously, putting demons anywhere near anything is a terrible idea. One obvious form of this is the Dark Mechanicus "Scrap Code", seemingly meaningless strings touched by the warp, that when taken in by cogitators drives them mad. Better hope you have good firewalls!

If you get discovered breaking these little "guidelines", the first you'll hear about your peers unhappiness is with the inquisition knocking on your door.
    With melta-torpedoes...

Of course, like everything in the Imperium, the Mechanicus is by no means a single unified group. There are conclaves scattered all over the place that are much more... tolerant... than the others, but when the Inquisition comes knocking you might find all your colleagues strangely slow to come to your defence.

One particularly hilarious group is the Phaenonites, a minor Inquisitorial grouping and an offshoot of the Xanthites. They believe in the merging of Flesh, Machine, and Warp into something better, and the rebirth of the Imperium under their rule. Interestingly they don't worship the Chaos Gods at all, and but wish to enslave the warp to serve man, instead of the other way around. Bind demons into machines and make them work for you, against their will and getting nothing in return, like batterys and computers etc. Kind of like the DnD malkenvoker in that respect.

Sounds like a great idea that nothing could possibly go wrong with, doesn't it? The other members of the Inquisition certainly think so, because the Phaenonites have the dubious honour of being one of the only factions to be declared completely Excomuicate Traitoris, Kill on Sight. Even radicals think they're going to far. For more information on them (and other weird as £$%& groups) look up the Dark Heresy book Radical's Handbook. The Disciples of the Dark Gods is also a good read for various cults, or as my friends refer to it "The Bumper Book of Heresy".
    Last edited by Voidhawk; 2012-12-09 at 09:41 PM.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Priests of Mars kind of implies that this is the case. The Magos was kind of a big deal about a century ago, but all the Science he's done since then has failed and he's kind of a joke now, and his huge expedition is basically the only way he can keep all his Forges.

As far as different patterns of the same thing are concerned from about a page back; Altering the STCs is a huge no-no...Unless it isn't.

Use STC. STC is great. Look how good it's working!
    The Dark Angels rock up to a siege, and the enemy keeps blowing up their Vindicators before they can get in range. Hmm. Our Land Raiders aren't cutting the wall, and our Vindicators are getting the crap kicked out of them. Techmarine! What should we do!?
    Uh...What if we mounted a Demolisher Cannon on a Land Raider. That would work.

AdMech: NO ALTERING THE STCs! YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HERETEK HELL!
    Techmarine: Err...Are you punishing us for winning? Because mounting a Demolisher Cannon on a Land Raider is totally sweet and we're doing it from now on.
    AdMech: Uh...Err...Tell us how you did it. Make us a new STC and we'll let you live.

Essentially if the AdMech can gain from your new pattern, altering the STC is fine and you're the new Magos sent straight from the Omnissiah! If you alter the STC and it blows up in your face, you totally deserved it and how dare you defy the Omnissiah and we're totally going to lobotomise you!
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-12-10 at 01:19 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

Victory needs no explanation. Defeat deserves none.

10. - Top - End - #1240

Griffon

AdMech: NO ALTERING THE STCs! YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HERETEK HELL!
    Techmarine: Err...Are you punishing us for winning? Because mounting a Demolisher Cannon on a Land Raider is totally sweet and we're doing it from now on.
    AdMech: Uh...Err...Tell us how you did it. Make us a new STC and we'll let you live.
    In fairness, this isn't the only way to interpret the same scenario.

Techmarines are, after all, members of the Ad.Mech. and as such can be expected to be privy to their sacred rituals and the necessary absolutions needed to make such drastic alterations.

It might not be the case that a Techmarine, pushed by dire circumstances, has to jury rig something nigh-blasphemous that he later manages to defend under the same tactica that GolemsVoice just mentioned.
    It could well be that there are rituals, prayers and sanctified circumstances already in place that exist to allow the splicing of two vehicles and/or weapons like that. There's no reason to think that the Ad.Mech DON'T have competing factions - like the Amalathians versus the Istvaanians of the Inquisition - that might favour or revile different interpretations of the Omnissiah's will in similar ways.

Which, I think, is one of the better parts of things like the Ad.Mech. being so vaguely defined in the canon - this could be a very interesting way of getting promoted to Magos in the first place. Someone receives 'divine inspiration' for a unique technological solution to an existing problem (in this case, getting Demolisher Cannons close enough to be used), spends a decade researching the correct prayers and rites and making sure that they are compatible with the theology, and then undertakes an immensely solemn and strenuous ritual under the watchful eyes of his superiors to create the first prototype.

Assuming it works, and his 'psalms' are judged to be appropriate and devote enough? Congratulations! The Omnissiah walks with you, here's a pay rise and a new name tag. Get to work, Magos.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #1241

Also, the Land raider and Demolisher cannon are both completely valid pieces of STC tech and with the known adaptability of the original STC machines it is entirely possible the Land Raider has a so-far unknown set of mounts that slots neaty onto the bolts of a Demolisher cannon.

About the Heretek story: I can recomend Atlas Infernal. Apart from being possibly the best book in BL it contains a few nice descriptions of Heretek tech-projects.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

Yup, I'd also say that one of the "advantages" of combining the Land Raider and the Demolisher cannon are that they both are already approved technology. Only their combination isn't.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    In fairness, this isn't the only way to interpret the same scenario.
    Kind of.

Which, I think, is one of the better parts of things like the Ad.Mech. being so vaguely defined in the canon
    Graham McNeil is certainly trying. Since that's kind of his thing. Find something that's relatively untouched and put it into the 'verse. He even very specifically detailed out The Quest For Knowledge and it's Lores.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgh View Post
    About the Heretek story: I can recomend Atlas Infernal. Apart from being possibly the best book in BL it contains a few nice descriptions of Heretek tech-projects.
    Priests of Mars gives a few. And even shows a pretty good example of getting around the whole 'Soulless Sentience is Bad' issue.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

You mean the Imperial Guard? Because the Administratum can count things. But can it count Guardsmen? No! Because there are ALWAYS MORE GUARDSMEN!
    Yes it can.
    It will just lose a few million of them in a rounding error, resulting in nobody bothering to send them food, fuel, or ammunition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

15. - Top - End - #1245

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Yes it can.
    It will just lose a few million of them in a rounding error, resulting in nobody bothering to send them food, fuel, or ammunition.
    To be fair, they don't really need ammunition or fuel. That's the whole point of las-everything.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

To be fair, they don't really need ammunition or fuel. That's the whole point of las-everything.
    Still need food and water, fuel for the vehicles, ammo for non-las weaponry, spare parts for when things get broken down, replacement soldiers to make up for attrition...the list goes on. Logistics are important.

17. - Top - End - #1247

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Still need food and water, fuel for the vehicles, ammo for non-las weaponry, spare parts for when things get broken down, replacement soldiers to make up for attrition...the list goes on. Logistics are important.
    Actually, most of the vehicles are designed to run on a wide variety of fuels. I think most of the tanks can even be converted to wood-burning mode if need be.

Food, water, and humans can be acquired from the local populace. Unless you're invading a death world, I guess.

Replacement parts and artillery shells are still a concern, but lascannons and lasrifles will keep a regiment going for a long time.

18. - Top - End - #1248

Kobold

On a much, much more important note, Lathe Worlds pg 91.

"Many may even have heard a title, mumbled over a cup of joilique or infusions of illegal toxicant scrapcode...."

Apparently some techpriests substitute bad code for beer. I guess it makes sense, since "Drunkenness" is essentially just kicking your brain into a less efficient state...

But still, there's something wonderful about the idea of techpriests drowning their sorrows in a big mug of Windows 98
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-12-12 at 09:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Troll in the Playground

On a much, much more important note, Lathe Worlds pg 91.

"Many may even have heard a title, mumbled over a cup of joilique or infusions of illegal toxicant scrapcode...."

Apparently some techpriests substitute bad code for beer. I guess it makes sense, since "Drunkenness" is essentially just kicking your brain into a less efficient state...

But still, there's something wonderful about the idea of techpriests drowning their sorrows in a big mug of Windows 98
    If 98 is beer, what the heck is Vista?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Is it this? I was excited at first. But then I realised that it's a phone-game, that is also playable on PC.

Or maybe it's whatever the garbage code was that made Chaos Gate unplayable due to a glitch from Windows XP so severe that not even 'Compatibilty Mode' to '98 could save it?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #1251

Griffon

Is it this? I was excited at first. But then I realised that it's a phone-game, that is also playable on PC.
    I'm not gonna lie; I took one look at it, and thought someone was pranking me with pictures of FMV's from the 1996 Space Hulk game on the PS1.

By the description that I've read of the gameplay since then, I'm still not entirely convinced that it's a different game at all.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #1252

Kobold

I'm hoping it'll have everything that I like about Xcom, but with the 40k logo on it.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Vodka. Really bad vodka.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Vodka. Really bad vodka.
    Russian Prince.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Orc in the Playground

So, a couple of minor reviews of some items from the BL 2012 Advent Calander. Add your own!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/advent-calendar-2012

Dust
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, a 1K Sons story! Boo, it's incredibly short and gives the merest hint of the current state of the Legion (post HH Novels, pre-Assault on Terra. Really, even at 99c, it was too short for any characterisation or meaningful events. A little bit of background on Azhek, but nothing spectacular.

Warmaster (MP3)
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of my first audiobook listens, and surprisingly enjoyable. Not a vast amount of meat, but nicely dramatic, and fun to get a monologue from such a core character, especially in a smallish dose like this. Don't go in for the content, go for the mood setting
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    So, a couple of minor reviews of some items from the BL 2012 Advent Calander. Add your own!
    Thanks. I was just about to post and ask if anyone had bought any of the advent calender things yet. I'm adding all the 40K ones to my cart to buy once they've posted them all.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

Vodka. Really bad vodka.
    I think it's more like that last shot of Jaegermeister you have only because your friends are egging you and the next thing you know, you're waking up in a hedge smelling of vomit while clutching a traffic cone... not that I would know or anything.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Just in case anyone doesn't have them, but doesn't follow the Steam sale, The Entire Dawn of War franchise (Including every last DLC) is on sale for 20 USD on Steam.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

29. - Top - End - #1259

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Just in case anyone doesn't have them, but doesn't follow the Steam sale, The Entire Dawn of War franchise (Including every last DLC) is on sale for 20 USD on Steam.
    Oh god, THQ's nigh-bankrupcy sales just make me feel so guilty

Still, the time of the LANs will soon be upon me and my friends.

30. - Top - End - #1260

Oh god, THQ's nigh-bankrupcy sales just make me feel so guilty

Still, the time of the LANs will soon be upon me and my friends.
    If you do (and you are playing Soulstorm), look into the the Ultimate Apocalypse mod, its cranks things to 11