New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    If you do (and you are playing Soulstorm), look into the the Ultimate Apocalypse mod, its cranks things to 11
    Holy carp, the most recent version is from TODAY?

People still mod for soulstorm!?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

What happened to Chaos Dreadnaughts, by the way- They're not in the codex anymore, from what I saw, and GW doesn't sell them anymore- Have they all become hellbrutes?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Colossus in the Playground

Going by the codex description, yes.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    What happened to Chaos Dreadnaughts, by the way- They're not in the codex anymore, from what I saw, and GW doesn't sell them anymore- Have they all become hellbrutes?
    Yeah, "Hellbrute" is just another way of saying "Chaos Dreadnaught". I believe it was said that the terms were interchangeable and that you can use normal Dreadnaughts as Hellbrutes.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

For the next... 47 and a half hours, the Dawn of War franchise pack is down to 9.99 for the whole thing on Steam.

Now, 75% off on a short term sale is pretty typical for an old game on Steam. It's just the low price of the bundle itself (The relatively new bundle is $40 base)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I know the Death Korps use cloning, and that there are genetor Tech-Savants trying to recreate Space Marine geneseeds, and that the Inquisition likes to do all sorts of experiments to try and create their own supersoldiers, but are there any other reasonable reasons for someone in the Imperium (specifically on a Forge World) to be screwing about with gene-tech and test-tube babies? Are there any cases of Tech-Priests maybe trying to use gene-tech to improve their Skitarii? And do Skitarii ever get to retire, or get forcibly retired or abandoned or just disbanded in the middle of nowhere like Imperial Guard regiments often do?
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

7. - Top - End - #1267

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    So, I know the Death Korps use cloning, and that there are genetor Tech-Savants trying to recreate Space Marine geneseeds, and that the Inquisition likes to do all sorts of experiments to try and create their own supersoldiers, but are there any other reasonable reasons for someone in the Imperium (specifically on a Forge World) to be screwing about with gene-tech and test-tube babies? Are there any cases of Tech-Priests maybe trying to use gene-tech to improve their Skitarii? And do Skitarii ever get to retire, or get forcibly retired or abandoned or just disbanded in the middle of nowhere like Imperial Guard regiments often do?
    Genetors will often gleefully experiment with gene-tech for any reason. That's their thing. Generally speaking, if it can be done with genes, Genetors do it. Making Skitarii stronger and faster is definitely on their to-do list.

Given the heavily-bionic nature of the Skitarii, plus their genetic upgrades and mental conditioning, I'd say that most Skitarii never retire and are effectively immortal, so you probably get 400 year old elite Skitarii.

The Rogue Trader book Into The Storm also gives an optional character background called False-Man that essentially lets you be a test-tube baby, so apparently tublings are made for reasons other than Skitarii.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-12-23 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

but are there any other reasonable reasons for someone in the Imperium (specifically on a Forge World) to be screwing about with gene-tech and test-tube babies?
    To make Abhumans, and/or determining if someone is mutant or abhuman (which is kind of a big deal since one gets purged and the other doesn't).
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

The False-Man past is sort of my reason for asking this. I'm making a Rogue Trader character, and he's an ex-soldier from a Forge World with False-Man on his origin path.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I assume one of the reasons the nobility of the Imperium has such longevity is because of designer-genes (also meant to counteract the inbreeding problems of said group) in addition to the customary upgrades and rejuvenation technology.
    Also it wouldn't surprise me if the psyker genes were artificially introduced into the genome of the general population during the Dark Age of Technology, to get any wrong conclusions of my idea out of the way, I meant without tinkering the psyker ratio would be 1/10'000'000'000 (give or take a zero) rather than 1/1'000'000 (give or take a zero again).

As for the genetors trying to recreate the geneseed, it took the Emperor himself an impressive amount of high end technology of the DAoT (probably martian tech at it's apex), one of the most brilliant minds in the history of the galaxy (his own) and is own totally overpowered genes (he didn't have to work from scratch) to create the primarchs and from them, the Space Marine geneseed. To recreate such a feat, even with some of the original data and geneseed at hand (though definitely no fresh DNA from Big E) would be an epic undertaking and would take at the very least several hundred years, the resources of a Forgeworld and the focused teamwork of the Imperiums best genetors to achieve.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    To make Abhumans, and/or determining if someone is mutant or abhuman (which is kind of a big deal since one gets purged and the other doesn't).
    I thought that which was which was just decided ad-hoc by the people discovering them?
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I thought that which was which was just decided ad-hoc by the people discovering them?
    Kind of.
    Abhuman is a standard genetic template. When you breed, you get another one the same. Fun fact; Beastmen are in 40K, and they don't get purged. In fact they're Imperial Guard regiments and they're some of the most Holy dudes around.

Mutations are totally random (i.e; from Chaos, Capital C), two mutants who breed wont have an offspring with the same mutations. Purge the mutant.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #1273

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    As for the genetors trying to recreate the geneseed, it took the Emperor himself an impressive amount of high end technology of the DAoT (probably martian tech at it's apex), one of the most brilliant minds in the history of the galaxy (his own) and is own totally overpowered genes (he didn't have to work from scratch) to create the primarchs and from them, the Space Marine geneseed. To recreate such a feat, even with some of the original data and geneseed at hand (though definitely no fresh DNA from Big E) would be an epic undertaking and would take at the very least several hundred years, the resources of a Forgeworld and the focused teamwork of the Imperiums best genetors to achieve.
    That's the thing, though; from first conquering Terra to ending up on the Golden Throne, the Emperor was only around between M30 and M31 - less than a thousand years, quite a lot of which was taken up by the Great Crusade and then the Heresy.

Since then, despite lacking his expertise, his resources and overwhelming authority to do whatever is necessary to get results without interference, the Imperium has had 10,000 years and a nigh-limitless number of incredible minds working on the project - And they're slowly getting there.

And so what if it takes another 10,000 years to get back to the Emperor's level of technology? The Imperium doesn't expect to be going anywhere, so in lieu of technical brilliance they're quite content to employ the Infinite Monkeys Theorem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    In fact they're Imperial Guard regiments and they're some of the most Holy dudes around.
    Perhaps 'pious' rather than 'Holy'? The latter isn't.... quite accurate.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-12-24 at 06:22 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

14. - Top - End - #1274

SolithKnightGuy

My point was they haven't been able to recreate geenseed because said genetors aren't capable of working together for these few hundred years necessary. Ego, internal squabbling and all that. The actual resources are not the issue, imagine being able to produce space marines numbering in the millions rather than thousands each year, with the ability to make nigh anyone with the necessary mental fortitude into a marine (even if he can't get power armour)

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Platinius View Post
    Ego, internal squabbling and all that. The actual resources are not the issue, imagine being able to produce space marines numbering in the millions rather than thousands each year, with the ability to make nigh anyone with the necessary mental fortitude into a marine (even if he can't get power armour)
    You know...They were able to do that, once upon a time. Do you know what happened? Ego, internal squabbling and all that.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #1276

Kobold

The False-Man past is sort of my reason for asking this. I'm making a Rogue Trader character, and he's an ex-soldier from a Forge World with False-Man on his origin path.
    Ah. So it's an Archmilitant character then? Hmm. He could've been a personalized bodyguard for a particular genetor who was serving the Rogue Trader when she died, thus leaving your character in his service. Or he could've been tithed into the Guard! There's no reason you couldn't have a Forge World that was known for producing high quality clone soldiers (For bonus points, name it Onimak).

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

Would such a character have a normal name, or would they be given a number or designation or just be called whatever the genetor thought sounded cool?

(Recaiden) He lives!

18. - Top - End - #1278

Kobold

Would such a character have a normal name, or would they be given a number or designation or just be called whatever the genetor thought sounded cool?
    Like most things in 40k, that's up to you. Maybe the Genetor gave him a number because he's a cold and unfeeling jerk. Maybe what the Genetor *really* wanted was a son, so he gave him a name and raised him like a person. Maybe the Genetor only ever gave the poor sod a number, but he chose a name for himself, because he's determined to rise above the circumstances of his birth. Maybe he was mass produced as part of a huge batch of tithed elite soldiers, but has a name anyway because research shows that human names help to increase unit cohesion.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2012-12-24 at 03:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1279

SolithKnightGuy

@Cheesegear

exactly, and that's the way I like my 40k, people can't get their **** together to get **** done as a team, not because of a lack of ability or resources, it's their own ****ing fault, so very tragic, so very.... GRIMDARK

(I'm sorry about the implied cursing, but sometimes a few nice curses really help emphasizing to bring a point across)

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    but has a name anyway because research shows that human names help to increase unit cohesion.
    Everyone loves Republic Clone Troopers. tehy kill droids and don't afraid of anything.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #1281

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Holy carp, the most recent version is from TODAY?

People still mod for soulstorm!?
    They sure did. Titans, super tanks, greater demons and super weapons for everyone.
    The mod makes it an almost completely new game.

22. - Top - End - #1282

SolithKnightGuy

Cannot resist to post this little jewel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Have fun!

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so I noticed that low level Inquisition acolytes are often left on their own for months at a time until their Inquisitor needs them. Are they ever just abandoned, or left alone, or just ignored if their Inquisitor never finds use for them again, or never finds out where they went to when off the job?

(Recaiden) He lives!

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Are they ever just abandoned, or left alone, or just ignored if their Inquisitor never finds use for them again, or never finds out where they went to when off the job?
    I'm pretty sure if an Inquisitor sends his Acolytes on a job, it'll be important, and there should always be a way to contact them somehow. Otherwise both the Inquisitor and the Acolytes have failed at basic teamwork. If an Inquisitor doesn't have a use for them, he'll tell them to sit tight. A good Inquisitor never gets rid of a potential resource if he can help it. If he can use you once, he can use you again - even if it's not for another 20 years.

However, in theory, if an Inquisitor was to die, the Acolytes on the job would have no real way of knowing and would, sooner or later, be left to their own devices.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I'm pretty sure if an Inquisitor sends his Acolytes on a job, it'll be important, and there should always be a way to contact them somehow. Otherwise both the Inquisitor and the Acolytes have failed at basic teamwork. If an Inquisitor doesn't have a use for them, he'll tell them to sit tight. A good Inquisitor never gets rid of a potential resource if he can help it. If he can use you once, he can use you again - even if it's not for another 20 years.

However, in theory, if an Inquisitor was to die, the Acolytes on the job would have no real way of knowing and would, sooner or later, be left to their own devices.
    I don't have any evidence to back this up but I was under the impression that if an acolytes Inquisitor died then another Inquisitor may attempt to raise one of the acolytes to Inquisitorhood or add them to their own group. Politics being as important to Inquisitors as anyone else in the Imperium.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, as far as I know, it's pretty common that a) an Inquisitor takes over the case of a fallen comrade, and that he b) at least leads his most promising interrogators to full Inquisitorial rank.

So I'd assume the new boss would at least make use of the ressources until the case is closed. But I think it's not uncommon that Acolytes get swapped between Inqusitors, especially after the death of their old master.
    Last edited by GolemsVoice; 2012-12-28 at 08:06 AM.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you all. Very illuminating.

So, how do Acolytes explain to their day job that the have to leave for an undetermined time and possibly won't be coming back at the whims of the space detectives?

(Recaiden) He lives!

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I don't have any evidence to back this up but I was under the impression that if an acolytes Inquisitor died then another Inquisitor may attempt to raise one of the acolytes to Inquisitorhood or add them to their own group. Politics being as important to Inquisitors as anyone else in the Imperium.
    The source you were looking for was Eisenhorn.

Is good books.

Although....
    Spoiler
    Show
    A deamonhost that can kill a titan? HAX!
    Last edited by iyaerP; 2012-12-28 at 09:00 AM.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, how do Acolytes explain to their day job that the have to leave for an undetermined time and possibly won't be coming back
    They don't. They just leave. People go missing or dead in the Imperium for no reason all the time. Who says anyone needs to explain anything? And, in most cases, 'day job' means 'slave labour', so most people are glad to leave for whatever reason they can.

If they're in a position where they are likely to be missed (Arbites or the Guard), the Inquisitor 'requisitions' somebody, the paperwork gets lost and everyone keeps their mouth shut.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-12-28 at 09:21 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ogre in the Playground

But...what about when they go BACK to their day jobs when their Inquisitor doesn't need them for months at a time?

Although, knowing the Imperium, it wouldn't be surprising if the Inquisitor just drops them off on some planet and 'Inquisits' them into some similar job to make them stay put until needed again.

(Recaiden) He lives!