New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    But...what about when they go BACK to their day jobs when their Inquisitor doesn't need them for months at a time?
    They don't go back. Typically, an Inquisitor's mission will traverse a sub-sector. They're not going to drop you back home. They're going to drop you wherever is convenient and where they can get to you again and pick you up someday, maybe. Here's some Thrones for your work. See you 'round.

Or, the person was recruited on-the-spot to be an inside man on whatever operation the Inquisitor was running. When the organisation has burned to the ground and nobody's left standing...The Inquisitor leaves the poor sod in the dust.

Inquisitors, generally, are not nice people.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-12-28 at 09:38 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Or, if he's a bit nicer, he drops the guy somewhere and says: watch this man/organization/whatever, report to me regularly, or he gives them some other work that spans months or years. Remember, most of the work of an Inquisitor is spent researching and investigating, and there's hardly any downtime. When he's not actively investigating investigating somebody, he's got his people all over the sector looking for trouble.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Which actually would make sense, inquisitor literally means investigator and to be inquisitive means to be nosy. Having people looking everywhere seems very in character for people such as them.
    There are also very few (full) Inquisitors in the IoM, my guess would be a hundred million, probably less. While individually usually competent, outsourcing is a sensible idea, hence their right to recruit, deputize and impound nigh anyone or anything they need from 99,999% of the population. (SM's, important governors and so on are the other 0,001% probably even far less)
    Last edited by Platinius; 2012-12-28 at 06:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Are you kidding? Inquisitors will try and use space marines almost any time they can. Having one of humanity's finest as part of your retinue, or even better, having a squad or so of them to assist you in matters of imperial justice? That's having your cake and eating it too.

Now from a story standpoint, this usually only occurs with inquisitors who are the bad guy for that particular book or whatever, due to space marines being plot/balance destroyers, but it does happen often enough.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

"Any time they can" being the key phrase. Inquisitors don't have authority over the Astartes, or at least none the Astartes have to listen to unless they want to. 99.99% of the time, a problem can be solved without involving the Astartes, since that tends to take either lots of favor-trading or asking really, really nicely, so they'll use other avenues first.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The only real hold an individual inquisitor has on most Astarte chapters, especially the high profile ones the fluff tends to focus on, is respect. Short of serious action (which, in all but the gravest cases, is ill advised) like declaring a company or chapter Excommunicate Traitoris, an Inquisitor can only control a Space Marine Company through force (which generally requires you to have another company of space marines backing you up) or persuasion. It doesn't help that several chapters have a history of expressing their displeasure with inquisitorial actions they disagreed with with their fists (or more lethal measures, although a punch from a power armored Space Marine is lethal enough).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine a punch from an unarmoured space marine would be lethal enough.
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Firbolg in the Playground

I imagine a punch from an unarmoured space marine would be lethal enough.
    If not lethal, then certainly enough to take one right outta the fight.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Deathwatch rules indicate that an average unarmoured Marine can punch holes through Carapace Armour without any difficulty. So, if you're not wearing a helmet, he can quite easily put a hole in a normal human's head with his fist.

That is, if you agree that the 40KRPG rules are as good as fluff. Which I would agree that they are. But the 40KTTG are not - in that, even paper armour can block a Chainsword.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Deathwatch rules indicate that an average unarmoured Marine can punch holes through Carapace Armour without any difficulty. So, if you're not wearing a helmet, he can quite easily put a hole in a normal human's head with his fist.

That is, if you agree that the 40KRPG rules are as good as fluff. Which I would agree that they are. But the 40KTTG are not - in that, even paper armour can block a Chainsword.
    To be fair, it would have a decent chance at fouling the mechanism. It isn't far removed from my kevlar pair of chainsaw pants, and those protect me by fouling the mechanism before it can cut all the way through.

Chainsaws aren't really designed to cut through things that are more likely to tear then they are to resist. Actual literal paper most certainly wouldn't do the trick, but depending on the materials involved, something like a commissar's armoured greatcoat* would actually be pretty awesome at stopping a chainsword. The big billowy flaps make it much more likely to get hit by the swinging chainsword, and once it is hit, it will catch and foul the mechanism. Said chainsword would actually have an easier time cutting through solid plate like ceramite or carapace armour, assuming that the chain teeth are harder on the mohs scale than wherever they are cutting through.

*Assuming it is armoured, and I am not just remembering wrong.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    The source you were looking for was Eisenhorn.

Is good books.[/spoiler]
    I haven't read that, it's on my to do list after I finsh Ravenor and Emperor's finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

I always say armour as also including chances the bullet hits will punch through and go straight out the other side without touching the wearer.

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    Big Physics Explanation
    I think the point Cheesegear was trying to make was that the tabletop rules are terrible at representing small skirmishes that a system like Dark Heresy has.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

So, let's say I'm fighting someone who has hired a small band of Kroot mercenaries. Let's say I killed the mercenaries quickly and efficiently in close combat, through a series of strokes of luck/mono-sword.

On a scale of one to ten, one being "Hey, that was a damned cool fight!" and ten being "Kroot sappin' mah desirable genetic qualities!", how upset would the war-sphere those mercenaries hailed from be with me? Would they hold no grudge, knowing I fought because I was threatened, or would they hunt me down for killing their kin?

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

So, let's say I'm fighting someone who has hired a small band of Kroot mercenaries. Let's say I killed the mercenaries quickly and efficiently in close combat, through a series of strokes of luck/mono-sword.

On a scale of one to ten, one being "Hey, that was a damned cool fight!" and ten being "Kroot sappin' mah desirable genetic qualities!", how upset would the war-sphere those mercenaries hailed from be with me? Would they hold no grudge, knowing I fought because I was threatened, or would they hunt me down for killing their kin?
    I don't think they're likely to care, Kroot live as mercenaries so their families are probably going to understand that the you were threatened so you fought back.
    Kroot society functions based on them being mercenaries, this is because they are trying to evolve to the perfect creatures by digesting other creatures in the same way space marines do.
    My extended signature.
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

They might respect you for killing off a band of Kroot in melee, which might make you a desirable target for eating if they get around to it, but aside from that, no. Doubtful they'll even learn of it, I imagine.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Depending on how easily you dispatched them, and if they find out, more may come and try to eat you, but in reality its more probable they'll never find out you killed the kroots in the first place, or they won't see the benefit in trying to eat a single human being with enough firepower to blow up half a war sphere and the disposition to do it.
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

16. - Top - End - #1306

Kobold

They might do things the polite way, and ask if they can purchase your corpse prehumously.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

The harsher and more difficult things are, the happier the Kroot will be. They believe that adversity makes them stronger and their entire culture revolves around personal growth. If you're deadly enough to wipe out a whole squad of skilled Kroot Carnivores in a fair fight, the only thing you'll get from their Kindred is respect. There's a roughly even chance that you'd have Kroot coming to hunt you as a test of skill, just as they would any other deadly apex predator, or showing up in small groups looking to work for you to learn what makes your character so good. Either way, they're going to want to eat your corpse when you die. That's about it. Kroot are overall pretty easy-going when it comes to battle, or at least the results of it, and they don't really hold vendettas (except against the Orks, who they're still a little mad at for nearly wiping out the Kroot race).
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    (except against the Orks, who they're still a little mad at for nearly wiping out the Kroot race).
    That's the Kroot's own fault really, they ate the Orks and evolved to the point where they didn't reproduce biologically, but didn't reproduce like Orks either.
    My extended signature.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    That's about it. Kroot are overall pretty easy-going when it comes to battle, or at least the results of it, and they don't really hold vendettas (except against the Orks, who they're still a little mad at for nearly wiping out the Kroot race).
    I think 'stealers as well, judging from that Cain book where a couple of Kroot charge an entire coven (including purestrains) to recover one of their fallen comrades.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I think 'stealers as well, judging from that Cain book where a couple of Kroot charge an entire coven (including purestrains) to recover one of their fallen comrades.
    That wasn't hatred, that was fear. They'd overheard what Cain and Amberley were saying about Genestealers infecting their victims and misinterpreted it as the 'Stealers being able to 'infect' the entire Kroot race that way.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-31 at 10:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

What WOULD happen if the kroot ate Tyranids? Or a psyker? Or chaos dudes?

(Recaiden) He lives!

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That wasn't hatred, that was fear. They'd overheard what Cain and Amberley were saying about Genestealers infecting their victims and misinterpreted it as the 'Stealers being able to 'infect' the entire Kroot race that way.
    More to the point, they misinterpreted it as being able to hijack the self-determined evolution of the Kroot race, which is pretty much anathema to the closest thing they have to a religion and certainly about the only thing you could threaten a Kroot with that they would find naturally and insufferably repugnant. I didn't count the 'Stealers, though, because nobody likes Tyranids.

What WOULD happen if the kroot ate Tyranids? Or a psyker? Or chaos dudes?
    Tyranids? Depends on the species, but they'd probably start to develop some nid-like traits. Thickened, chitin-like bone plates, maybe, or nasty talons, and certainly better reflexes and nasty toxins. I expect that any Kroot Kindred that spent long enough eating Tyranids would wind up as hybrids between Headhunters and Bold Hunters. They don't seem to be able to evolve psychic powers from eating psykers, since we've got a history of Kroot who eat Eldar becoming more agile and mentally alert rather than spontaneously able to lift things with their minds, but there's no telling that a Kroot who ate enough psykers wouldn't develop psychic powers of their own.

As for Chaos... Well, they don't. Kroot can taste the taint of Chaos on their prey, and Shapers can detect it without even taking a nibble first, and they don't like it. A Kroot deviant enough to want to eat Chaos-tainted corpses, or degenerate enough not to notice or care, would be quickly put down by the nearest Shaper for polluting the bloodline of the Kroot as a species.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

I have one idea that some of the Spacemarine chapters might be descendents of Loyalists from Traitors Legions.
    The ideas are spoiled since it might be part of some books that I haven't read
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Blood Ravens might be descendents of Thousand Sons since they have psykers, and one of theory why Davian Thule burned the evidences of their heritage on Kronus (and Necrons are based on Egyptians).
    -Storm Wardens could be descendents of World Eaters since both of them are warriors and prefer close combats. Or they could be one of the lost legions.
    - Souldrinkers might be one of the lost legions since they discover that Rogal Dorn was not their Primachs.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

I've read somewhere that certain species are taboo for Kroot to eat, and the shapers determine what can be eaten and what is taboo. I think everything chaos-related is straight out, and I think 'nids, too.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Has anyone else read the advent calender stories? If so, I have question about one of them, Out Caste:

Spoiler
    Show
    The main character leads her squad into combat, even though they were supposed to stay out and let the Kroots run rampant. They come across a Commissar who at first appears to be dead, but then gets up and attacks. The squad kills him, but not before he cuts through the main character's helmet and almost kills her. Now she seems to be cut off from the rest of Fire Caste.

So my question... Why would that happen? She did disobey orders, but the story seems to imply she is outcast because of the scar on her head. I don't know much about the Tau, so don't know if there is a reason they would throw out a scarred warrior. Doesn't make sense that they would, but maybe there is a reason. Or maybe I just missed the point and she is cast off for another reason.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I've read somewhere that certain species are taboo for Kroot to eat, and the shapers determine what can be eaten and what is taboo. I think everything chaos-related is straight out, and I think 'nids, too.
    The impression I got from the codex was a shaper would choose what Kroot is so they don't eat anything dangerous and eat the right creatures to get stronger.
    My extended signature.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that why they don't eat orks any more?

(Recaiden) He lives!

28. - Top - End - #1318

I'm pretty sure they still eat Orks if they can.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite the fact doing so made them incapable of reproduction?

(Recaiden) He lives!

30. - Top - End - #1320

Kobold

Despite the fact doing so made them incapable of reproduction?
    That's what the Shapers are there for! First they eat a bunch of Orks, which makes them tough but removes their reproductive capabilities, and then the Shaper has them hunt and eat the sexiest humans they can find.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED