New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40k fluff thread VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten

I assumed kroot have a partial control over which genes they take into their code even after eating it or else they would soon transform into weak critter (which do make up the huge majority of a carnivore's meat supply), perhaps they have to decide whether or not they absorb, even if they cannot control which one. That would make sense, that way they could (and would) still eat orcs but they wouldn't take on their abilities at the risk of loosing their own reproduction capability.
    Last edited by Platinius; 2013-01-02 at 04:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    That's what the Shapers are there for! First they eat a bunch of Orks, which makes them tough but removes their reproductive capabilities, and then the Shaper has them hunt and eat the sexiest humans they can find.
    Oh, dear! Time to hide in my kroot-proof bunker!
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

3. - Top - End - #1323

SolithKnightGuy

it gives the words "sexual predator" a totally new meaning

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Atlas Infernal features Ahriman as the main antagonist. While the book doesn't focus on him so much, he is a major part of the book - and what an excellent book it is!

But that's about it. All the other novels that deal with Chaos you've pretty much already mentioned.
    So... thoughtfully, BL have just released the book I wanted, in my preferred format no less:
    http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhamme...ile-ebook.html

Coincidence, or obscure superpower? If we get a new Heresy novel in the next month which tells us absolutely anything about the Khan & the White Scars (my next wishlist item), then we'll know..
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

So i bought and read Salvations Reach and Pariah recently.

Salvations Reach: Good- Too much fussing about, too many new characters, not enough fighting. Not that it's not good, but a whole lot of the book isn't really what i bought it for. General but whole-book spoilers in spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    They spend an entire book getting to a place for a climatic, suicidal battle... and it's over and done with in what my kindle informs me is the last 15%. An army of loxatl appears... and is dealt with more quickly and easily than the handful of bunker troops in Traitor General. I swear to god, nothing is affected by the Law of Inverse Ninjitsu like loxatl.

The book also introduces about half a dozen new people, each of whom does one thing half-heartedly and vanishes. A Boy, who Gaunt is conflicted by. A Woman, who Gaunt gets his mack on with. (Gaunts Ghosts is way better than most, but the fact remains that like 30% of the women in the series have hopped aboard Gaunts Armoured Sentinel.) A band, who are ineffective but then prove their mettle, and blah blah I want more Ezrah and Mkoll.

The Salvations Reach battle makes for an interesting change-up but feels a little anticlimactic. I'm a connosieur of good death scenes, and the ones in this book were... not as good as Bragg or Muril's. It's partly because, again, they died in a fight that took up a tenth of the book and was practically a walk in the park as far as we could tell.

Paraiah: Meh+ Too much running and being pursued and being loosely ineffectual, not enough awesome sexy inquisitional work. Sets up well for the next series at a cost of a kind of stretched and flabby resolution. Definitely suffers from being the first book in a trilogy.

Some of the new enemies are pretty cool, even if there is the sense of Abnett putting every idea he has on the page, causing a certain lack of focus. Some sections really kind of lost me - who are all these people, what are all these places- but usually someone we knew would appear to shoot someone we didn't in the head and bring it back on track.

Also, the first 40K novel I've read that mentions back to modern times. It does this twice and both times feel super out of place. We don't speak the languages they spoke in the palaeolithic era: modern French in the 40K universe fits similarly poorly.

Overall i wouldn't get either of them if you aren't an established fan of the serieses. Neither one will change a poor opinion, or, I think, boost a neutral to a good.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    What WOULD happen if the kroot ate [snip] chaos dudes?
    I recall reading a story a while back about the first encounter between the Tau and Chaos. In it, some of the Kroot ate Chaos bodies between firefights, got tainted, and as such switched to the Chaos side in the next firefight.

It was a while ago though, so I don't remember if it is/was canon, and my google-fu is too weak to find it for confirmation one way or the other
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I have one idea that some of the Spacemarine chapters might be descendents of Loyalists from Traitors Legions.
    The ideas are spoiled since it might be part of some books that I haven't read
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Blood Ravens might be descendents of Thousand Sons since they have psykers, and one of theory why Davian Thule burned the evidences of their heritage on Kronus (and Necrons are based on Egyptians).
    -Storm Wardens could be descendents of World Eaters since both of them are warriors and prefer close combats. Or they could be one of the lost legions.
    - Souldrinkers might be one of the lost legions since they discover that Rogal Dorn was not their Primachs.
    Those are some of the flimsiest excuses; "warriors and like close combat"? That applies to all Space Marines.

Blood Ravens is explicitly hinted at to being Thousand Sons, especially due to their nature as heavily Psychic, and even similarities in their Pre-Heresy colouration, although this means little; non Blue Ultramarine Successors, Non Word Bearer Descended Chapters in Grey, etc. Closer ties need to be made; especially when this comes in "Gotoverse" fluff.

Storm Wardens are essentially ignored by the entire 40K tabletop; they're only mentioned AFAIK in the 40KRP games. Their lack of knowledge as being who their Primarch was is hardly unique; other well establised Chapters do not know who it is; the sad problem for this is because everyone writing an index astartes for their homebrew chapter (But also working for GW and having the ability to put said homebrew in "canon") had to have every little bit of fluff "done for a reason" or there for "rule of cool - instant mystery and ominous music time".

Soul Drinkers; again, for the most part, ignored in the greater part of the TT/BL/FFG systems as being one authors homebrew chapter; very little inter correlation or cross referencing. Even other authors have the opportunity to include their own creations elsewhere; the Iron Snakes primogenitors in Know No Fear, Honsou et al in Angel Exterminatus; Soul Drinkers have none of that. Although there is no "official" record of a who's who in 40K, the fact that by not including the Soul Drinkers novels in the canon would have absolutely no effect on the setting is disappointing.

Take Battle for the Abyss; frequently cited as the worst/most forgettable story in the Heresy, other than filler fluff in booms "Oh Furious Abyss destroyed? Oh well", "Darn Furious Abyss Destroyed, at least I have 2 more" suggests that other authors don't take such "modular" novels into account. Ironically, said "modular/forgettable/non-essential novels" were both written by Ben Counter; as are his Grey Knights which are completely ignored in other 40K fiction; in fact only his other HH novel actually considered to be any decent; and that is thanks to McNeil and Abnett probably plotting out the opening story trilogy arc in such minute detail before going to press to "get it right" that Ben Counter was not able to F# it up by making a filler/non event novel that is as equal use to the Reader advancing the setting as litter basket material.

Conversely, since the introduction of Omegon, how often was that brought up? Same for Vlka Fenryka/"we are the executioners"? Or Butcher's Nails? Or indeed any other iconographical occurence?

As for a chapter which may logically be one of the Traitor Legions;

Minotaurs; their Primarch is KNOWN but kept HIDDEN from them, they are at the leash/behest of the High Lords (rumoured) and hence have greater resources than even the rest of the SM chapters, their Scout Training Phase is accelerated, they operate in Legion Tactics, they have little comradeship with their fellow Astartes Chapters and are frequently used to "police" Astartes who cause trouble for the Imperium in general, despite the Displeasure of Ultramarines and their successors, their is very little heat brought against them outside of nasty words, they have Relic Assault Ships as their main Flagship, don't have a homeworld being Fleet Based.

Their fighting styles are close brutal assaults, they share the bronze of their armour with the World Eaters/Warhounds battlefield honour of Bronze Arms/Shoulders/Hands; as well as their original rules having the exact same Special Rules as that of Khorne Berserkers.

Alternatively they share the name of a Son of Horus Assault Ship which made a suicidal attack run on its Mother Ship (the carrier believing the ship was friendly), killing entire companies. With Garro returning to Terra carrying a certain "Luna Wolf" after his return to Istvaan, the gathering of such information may have been the catalyst for creating the Minotaurs.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

So what are official chapters of Deathwatch (what are they, their strengths, weakness, and Primach's Curse? I never played it before and planned to play it. Is it like X-Com with D&D elements?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Deathwatch marines are recruted from many chapters, and warriors are "borrowed" and later returned. It's comparable to X-Com in that the Deathwatch fights aliens, and is not above using alien technology, which is usually pretty iffy in the Imperium of man.

However, as far as I understand X-Com, which isn't very far, X-Com soldiers are more like a secret government organization, the Men in Black. While the Deathwatch wears black, too, they're not just secret government agents, and certainly no mooks. They're elite kill-teams.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So what are official chapters of Deathwatch (what are they, their strengths, weakness, and Primach's Curse?
    Deathwatch aren't a single Chapter.

Rather, they're a special ops team of Space Marines from all Chapters who volunteer or get drafted into the military arm of the Ordo Xenos. Typically they get sent out into frontier space (the Halo Stars) along with Imperial Guard and Explorator Fleets to further the Imperium's reach. But they can be sent into warzones where a xenos threat is particularly strong.

As 'The Deathwatch' are made from different Marines from all sorts of different Chapters, each squad can learn from every member of it's team to learn different tactics to overcome different situations. Then, when their Vigil is done, a Marine will return to his Chapter with a whole bunch of new knowledge of how to fight aliens, and also have valuable contacts with other Veteran Marines from other Chapters.

Essentially, the Deathwatch are Grey Knights. Except the Deathwatch use Science and Skill instead of Psykery and cheating.

The only non-Veterans in a Deathwatch Vigil are Librarians. A veteran Librarian is far too valuable a resource for any Chapter to give up - even to the Deathwatch. So they typically send Librarians that aren't exactly the best in the Chapter. But, because of their inexperience, 'Deathwatch Training' is invaluable to a Librarian and if he survives his Vigil, he kind of comes out the other side being the ultimate badass.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-01-03 at 11:21 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

Deathwatch aren't a single Chapter.

Rather, they're a special ops team of Space Marines from all Chapters who volunteer or get drafted into the military arm of the Ordo Xenos. Typically they get sent out into frontier space (the Halo Stars) along with Imperial Guard and Explorator Fleets to further the Imperium's reach. But they can be sent into warzones where a xenos threat is particularly strong.

As 'The Deathwatch' are made from different Marines from all sorts of different Chapters, each squad can learn from every member of it's team to learn different tactics to overcome different situations. Then, when their Vigil is done, a Marine will return to his Chapter with a whole bunch of new knowledge of how to fight aliens, and also have valuable contacts with other Veteran Marines from other Chapters.

Essentially, the Deathwatch are Grey Knights. Except the Deathwatch use Science and Skill instead of Psykery and cheating.

The only non-Veterans in a Deathwatch Vigil are Librarians. A veteran Librarian is far too valuable a resource for any Chapter to give up - even to the Deathwatch. So they typically send Librarians that aren't exactly the best in the Chapter. But, because of their inexperience, 'Deathwatch Training' is invaluable to a Librarian and if he survives his Vigil, he kind of comes out the other side being the ultimate badass.
    I mean which of many chapters are playable in Death Watch, like Salamanders (though they may have pet peeve on other spacemarine gunning down imperial citizens) or Imperial Fists.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I mean which of many chapters are playable in Death Watch, like Salamanders (though they may have pet peeve on other spacemarine gunning down imperial citizens) or Imperial Fists.
    Oh! You're referring to the Deathwatch RPG by Fantasy Flight, and you want to know if there are RPG rules for being a Deathwatch marine from different chapters, like if you were playing a Salamander you'd get +15 to Punch attacks or something.

I cannot answer this question, but I suspect that the folks over in the 40k RPGs thread in other gaming thread may have more answers for you
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

All of them?

Core; Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Storm Wardens and Ultramarines.

Rites of Battle; Imperial Fists. As well as various Ultramarine, Dark Angel, Blood Angel and Imperial Fist successors.

First Founding; The rest. Iron Hands, Raven Guard, Salamanders and White Scars. As well as additional rules for BAs, DAs, IFs, SWs and UMs.

EDIT;
    Also Honour The Chapter; Has a whole bunch of Successor Chapters, most of which come from the Badab War books.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-01-04 at 01:13 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think Honour the chapter has rules for some successor chapters like Crimson Fists and Blood Ravens, too.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have searched for whether this question has been asked here, but to my surprise I didn't find anything.

How big of a threat are the Dark Eldar? Are they a 'local' threat, in that they're only pirates and are unlikely to do serious damage to any of the other factions? Or are they a galactic threat, on the level of Orks, Tyranids and Chaos? I imagine that their power level is roughly on par with that of the Craftworld Eldar. If so, then although their numbers are very low with respect to the other major factions, they are disproportionately dangerous for their numbers.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    How big of a threat are the Dark Eldar? Are they a 'local' threat, in that they're only pirates and are unlikely to do serious damage to any of the other factions?
    They are a threat anywhere there is a webway gate.

If so, then although their numbers are very low with respect to the other major factions, they are disproportionately dangerous for their numbers.
    Yes and No. Because of their low numbers, they generally don't cause massive damage like other factions. But, they're fast and they don't stick around after they've finished what they're doing (capturing people). Furthermore, because they live in the Webway, they're basically impossible to catch once they're gone.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

17. - Top - End - #1337

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Animastryfe View Post
    I have searched for whether this question has been asked here, but to my surprise I didn't find anything.

How big of a threat are the Dark Eldar? Are they a 'local' threat, in that they're only pirates and are unlikely to do serious damage to any of the other factions? Or are they a galactic threat, on the level of Orks, Tyranids and Chaos? I imagine that their power level is roughly on par with that of the Craftworld Eldar. If so, then although their numbers are very low with respect to the other major factions, they are disproportionately dangerous for their numbers.
    The Dark Eldar are a weird one. Their mastery of the webway means they can strike with as many troops as they want pretty much anywhere, which means that if they took it into their heads to just destory the Imperium, they could start picking off key planets pretty quickly and easily.

On the other hand, canonically, a single battle barge that wanders into Comorragrargargragh manages to do serious damage and eliminate most of the ruling caste. Given that this was one battle barge, it seems entirely possible that, say, six battle barges full of space marines (Two chapters teaming up?) would be enough to finish it off.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Troll in the Playground

Dark Eldar are also ot really out to conquer, as other species. As such, they rarely destroy whole planets, rather raid individual cities, ships or remote villages. The Imperium as a whole can suffer that loss.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Dark Eldar get power and pleasure from causing pain. If they wipe someone out... that someone's no longer there to play with.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

All of them?

Core; Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Storm Wardens and Ultramarines.

Rites of Battle; Imperial Fists. As well as various Ultramarine, Dark Angel, Blood Angel and Imperial Fist successors.

First Founding; The rest. Iron Hands, Raven Guard, Salamanders and White Scars. As well as additional rules for BAs, DAs, IFs, SWs and UMs.

EDIT;
    Also Honour The Chapter; Has a whole bunch of Successor Chapters, most of which come from the Badab War books.
    I know that one of the books has rules for writing your own chapter rules.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I know that one of the books has rules for writing your own chapter rules.
    Not really. I think you might be thinking of Rites of Battle, where it says to pick the rules for an existing Chapter that closely resembles what you want yours to be like. It's not really even close to the same thing.

Or Honour the Chapter, where you get to pick Traits/Talents from a 'Codex Chapter', which is essentially a table of generic skills and talents that you may or may not be good at which is actually a pretty lame table.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-01-04 at 05:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Soul Drinkers; again, for the most part, ignored in the greater part of the TT/BL/FFG systems as being one authors homebrew chapter; very little inter correlation or cross referencing.
    Didn't the name Soul Drinkers first appear in 2nd ed, in the details of the Age of Apostasy, in the Sisters of Battle codex?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Banned

Devil

Having not played 2nd End I cannot say; however as far as the novels are concerned I do not know of any other BL author using them, or GW actually acknowledging the work of such "homebrewed" fluff with their Spider Legged Mutated Librarian Chapter Master non-Heretic or whatever "rule of cool" rubbish Ben Counter spewed up.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh yeah...

Garro; Sword of Truth
    We had the cover jacket art for this for ages. But, something went wrong in it's production cycle, or, maybe it's the fact that it's two discs long may have had something to do with it? But, for some reason, we ended up getting Legion of One first, and everyone and their dog was like "Who the eff is Varran?" since Garro had clearly been on another adventure between Oath of Moment of LoO.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rubio, from Oath of Moment is still crying about being exiled from the Ultramarines for using his powers. Garro tells him to quit whinging and put his armour back on - including his Psychic Hood. Rubio grows some balls and puts his Grey Power Armour on in a very Iron Man-ish sequence with spinning rings and stuff.

A not-insignificant Fleet shows up at Terra's Mandeville Point. And has Terra in a panic. Malcador sends his two Knights Errant, a Custodes and bunch of dudes from the Imperial Army to investigate. It turns out that the fleet is nothing more than a whole bunch of civilian ships and merchant tankers escaping the aftermath of the Heresy being led by a World Eaters frigate being commanded by Varren.

Turns out, Varren has Battlestar Galactica'd his way from Istvaan III, unlike the Eisenstein, the Daggerline had to drop out of the Warp every so often because it couldn't make sustained jumps. When it did so, it picked up civilian ships and told them what's happening. So Daggerline's voyage was significantly longer than Eisenstein's.

So...Varren is fleeing from Angron, and BSGing his way to Terra...And somewhere along the way he picks up some Emperor's Children and some White Scars. Garro says everyone is totally traitors and Varren calls him on his crap because Garro was a Death Guard and so he's suspect too. Garro realises that he's totally a hypocrite and sends Rubio off to do some investigating.

Who ends up being the traitor is predictable and I called it as soon as they mentioned how 'totally loyal' they were after the third time.

Rubio stops being a wussy and uses his powers, and Garro recruits Varren into the Knights Errant.

Overall, the longest Garro audiobook (two discs this time) happens to be the worst and most boring/predictable, and the whole time what I really wanted to hear about was how Varren made it from Istvaan III to Terra because it sounds like Battlestar Galactica, and anything even like BSG is automatically good.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-01-04 at 09:08 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #1345

(snip)
    Overall, the longest Garro audiobook (two discs this time) happens to be the worst and most boring/predictable, and the whole time what I really wanted to hear about was how Varren made it from Istvaan III to Terra because it sounds like Battlestar Galactica, and anything even like BSG is automatically good.
    sad to hear, I really enjoyed the other two and varren sounded like a interesting dude. I'd love to hear some of his backstory. He must've completely gone batpoo furious at Istvan III (world eater who is also a man of honour? yup, he lost his cool), how he got that that under control would be awesome to hear.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

How high of a rank is Magos, exactly, in the Adeptus Mechanicus?

And would it be appropriate for a rank 1 character in Rogue Trader?

Also, how does the AdMech choose who to promote, and what's heretical newtech instead of rediscovered oldtech?
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    How high of a rank is Magos, exactly, in the Adeptus Mechanicus?

And would it be appropriate for a rank 1 character in Rogue Trader?

Also, how does the AdMech choose who to promote, and what's heretical newtech instead of rediscovered oldtech?
    Traditional 40k answer: it varies widely. Magos gets used to represent just about every upper rank, so depending on the writer and the story you'll see a Magos in charge of a small research team, or administrating an entire planet.

Given the overall power level of Rogue Trader characters, I'd say it's not unbelievable for a character to be a Magos.

That said, the Techpriest hierarchy is as organized and well defined as the Imperium's, so whether being a Magos actually gives him any pull is going to depend wildly on who he's talking to and whether they like him.

SECOND QUESTION:

The Admech decides who to promote by deciding, usually based on their discoveries and their services. Each individual has their own ideas about what is right and what is evil, and bases their decision on that. Thus, one priest might say "An engine that goes 20% faster? Wonderful!" while another would say "This engine is too fast. If the Omnissiah wants you to go fast, he will give you roller skates." while another would say "An engine invented by Steve? I hate Steve! Clearly the ENGINE is evil, too!"

Oldtech is usually pretty easily identifiable, being ancient and awesome.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-01-06 at 01:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Kobold

Eldar soul-vessels can be accessed by things other than Eldar, right? Demons and suchlike can sneak in?

I'm considering using a wraithbone shrine that the party will assume has a powerful Eldar inside, but is actually the prison for a greater daemon.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Techno - Magos seems to be interchangable with terms like professor, doctor, lord or any other honourific, so yeah, a RT character could use it IMO.
    If you imagine it to be like academia as Shadow outlined with more lobotomies, pogroms and religious warfare you probably won't go far wrong.

@ Shadow - that's what killed Eldrad. He tried to access the infinity circuit of a Blackstone fortress and it was filled with daemons. Wraithbone is essentially a method of plumbing that allows psychic juice to flow around for the Eldar to access without having to handle it directly. If a daemon gets inside the warp spiders (the creature, not the warrior) kill it, but enough could overwhelm them: the plot of one of the RT campaign books is purging a posessed craftworld.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

Ave Imperator.

Some questions to those more learned than I--- What significant differences are there between the time periods ~404.M41 and ~999.M41? Am I mistaken in the reckoning that Ravenor and company were active during the former time and Cain and company during the latter time? What is the canon, if any, period of the Dark Heresy line?
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915