New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim III: I took an arrow to the knee, then I reversed a meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcran View Post
    Heh, who here ended up just killing all the Thalmor at the Embassy?
    My sneaky guy did. The first few guards didn't even know what hit them. The last few guards at least suspected I was in the room. Serves the smug Altmer's right. Hammerfell will rise again!
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2011-12-05 at 04:20 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Hammerfell will rise again!
    Uh, Hammerfell is quite independent.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Created from stuff we've posted on the previous threads, here is the:

List of things I wish I knew before spending 30+ hours playing Skyrim and then restarting...

1) Never attack a Giant or their mammoths prior to level 20ish unless you have some place to run away to where they can't reach you or maxed out Sneak Attack Perks. They will kill you.

2) After the tutorial, follow whoever you escaped with to Riverwood. Talk to everyone in town, and do all of the quests that they give you, especially the menial ones. I know that there's a massive world out there to explore. Don't worry. You'll get to it. Just go follow the main quest for the first 5 hours or so. It will teach you and your character many things and make your life as a player much easier in the long run.

3) You can change which quests show up on your compass and map from the Quest menu (hit Esc by default on the PC). Select just 1 quest at a time. (The interface is cruddy, so this takes a little trial and error to figure out). Buy the Clairvoyance spell from Lucan Valerius at the Riverwood Trader in Riverwood, and use it. This will dramatically cut down on the amount of time going in the wrong direction and backtracking.

4) If you are a ranged build (Archery or Destruction focused), hate being surprised by enemies from behind, or just want to have someone to carry extra treasure back with you from dungeons, then be sure to get a Follower. Many different NPCs will do this for free (if you complete certain quests) or for a small fee, and you can get one as soon Riverwood.

5) If a combat is too hard, run away and come back later. Your enemy will be at the same level of difficulty, but you will be stronger.

6) It's possible to play the game without any crafting (Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy, and their red headed step son Cooking). But doing so is an easy way to dramatically increase all of your abilities.

7) Always carry a Pickaxe. It can be used to mine ore nodes, which will yield ore and occasionally gems. Ore can be turned into ingots at Smelters, which are behind most weapon shops. (The first one you will encounter will probably be in Whitehall. There isn't one in Riverwood). Gems can be combined with precious metal ingots and forged into jewelry, dramatically increasing their sale prices.

8) In Riverwood (and many other locations) there is a Woodchopping Block. If you pick up the nearby Woodcutter's Axe, you can chop wood there. This wood can be sold to Hod in Riverwood for 5 gold a piece, and combined with 1 leather strap to enhance a bow (increasing it's sale price, making bows some of the most efficient loot to carry back to town)

9) Food can be combined and cooked over certain pots near campfires or fire places. The resulting meals are can generally be sold for a price that's higher then their constituent elements, or eaten to restore or increase the restoration rate of health and stamina. But it doesn't increase any Skill, and does not produce as much money or as powerful results as Alchemy. So don't bother collecting food.

10) If you're nice to certain dogs and talk to them, they will follow you and fight by your side, in addition to your humanoid Follower. The best dog in the game is Barbas, who can be found on the road outside of the city of Falkreath (in the south near the border). He has a quest associated with him. So if you recruit him, follow him to his cave, go inside and clear it out entirely, talk to the statue, but do not retrieve the ax to complete his quest, he is immortal.

11) Early in the game you can use pretty much any weapon, spell, or item that you want. But by mid game if you try to use something that is outside of your selected Perks, it could be uncastable, or deal negligible damage, or add negligible defense. If you try to be a master of all Skills, you will suck at everything. So pick 4-6 Skills that reflect a play style that you enjoy, and specialize in them.

12) Similarly, if you make poor Skill and Perk choices early in the game, it will make the late game much more difficult. You cannot convince boss enemies not to kill you with Speech, or prevent their attacks by Pickpocketing them, or Lockpick your way out of the problem. In addition, many high level boss enemies are immune to Fire, Cold, Electricity, Illusions, Fear, Paralyze, and/or Poisons, and occasionally will not be distracted by Conjured creatures or Follower. Thus playing a pure Thief will make combat extremely difficult, and playing a pure Mage is powerful early in the game, but much more difficult later in the game. So it's generally advisable to invest in One Handed or Two Handed and/or Archery, plus Heavy Armor or Light Armor or Alteration.

13) On the PC, you can hot key Favorites. Open the Favorite menu and push a number while highlighting something and it is now keyed to that number. Also, if your Mouse has multiple buttons, then there is probably an driver on the internet somewhere that lets you re-program those buttons. This will make spell casting much more tolerable.

14) Assaulting chickens in a capital crime. This includes, but is not limited to, weapon strikes, dragon shouts, fireballs, electricity, ice blasts, and shield bashes.

15) Save often, especially in long trips, after tough battles, before picking a difficult lock, before opening a door in a dungeon, before navigating a death trap. Also be sure to Save in different slots at the end of each quest and before you level up, so that you can more easily backtrack if you later change your mind. The default key for Quicksave on the PC is F5. Use it.

16) There are a wide variety of traps spread throughout the game, especially dungeons, including pressure plates, swinging and spinning axes, trapped chests, etc. If you're traveling with a Follower, you'll often want to tell them to Stay Here while you navigate the trap and find how to turn it off (usually a chain or button immediately after the trap, although pressure plates do not have an off button). If you follow the main quest for about 8 hours you will also get a Dragon Shout that lets you ignore damage, which is handy for this and for jumping down cliffs.

17) If you come across a door locked by a puzzle in a dungeon, the solution is usually in the room itself (look around the room and search for a pattern of symbols on the walls, a journal, or something else you can interact with), or on the MacGuffin for that dungeon (ie, look at the Claw in your inventory, and click on it so that you can rotate the item).

18) Stealing is an easy way to get stuff that you want, and there are generally few plot repercussions unless you are caught. Just Save the game, Sneak or cast Invisibility, and pick it up. If you get caught, reload. All Stolen items get tagged with a red hand in your inventory. Items with the stolen tag can only be sold to Fences, and the only decent fences in the game involve joining the Thieves Guild (speak with Brynjolf in the Riften marketplace) or Dark Brotherhood. In addition, if an item can be Enchanted, mixed with Alchemy, or made into something else with Smithing, doing so will remove the stolen tag, allowing you to sell it.

19) "Read" every book you come across. You can do so just by picking it up - you do not need to page through it and physically read it. Books can improve Skills and grant new quests. You can read a book that someone else owns without stealing it by picking it up (default E key on PC) and then putting it down (default Tab on PC).

20) You can fast travel by going to the map (default M on PC) and clicking on any location that you've visited before. You can also go to Whitehall or any other major city and pay the caravan out front to bring you to any major city. This is a good thing to do soon after visiting Whiterun, just so that you have multiple starting points for traveling.

21) Your inventory is going to fill up fast, even if you frequently make trips back to town to sell things. You can store things in pretty much any random container, such as the barrels, chests, etc. But be wary that NPCs will occasionally pick them up, and container tend to re-spawn (replacing your stuff with random stuff appropriate for the container) once a month (in game). If you want a permanent place to store things, you need to buy a house and use the chest inside of it, which is never stolen from and never respawns. To do so, go to any major city and do any quests for the Jarl, so that you can become a Thane and own property.

22) Shopkeepers have limited gold and items that you may want to buy repeatedly (like ingots, alchemical items, or petty soul gems, to grind crafting Skills). If they run out, leave their shop and Wait (default T on PC) for 48 hours. All of their inventory will often be replaced.

23) Every time Steam or Skyrim is patched/updated (which is about once a weak), you may need to "Verify the Integrity of the Game" in the "Properties" tab before Skyrim launches properly.

24) Once you max out Enchanting and take the appropriate Perks, you're capable of making 4 pieces of armor that reduce the casting cost of any magical Skill by 100%. Since you can Enchant each item with 2 Enchantments, you can basically cast spells from 2 Skills for free or 3 Skills 75%/75%/50% off. So unless you're dedicated caster who refuses to use a One Handed or Two Handed weapon in the early game and intends to use Illusion AND Destruction AND Alteration AND Restoration heavily, there's not much reason to invest in Magicka or Perks that reduce casting costs.

25) Similarly, by level 30ish (or sooner, if you do certain quests early and get the weaker low level versions of certain unique items) you will find a weapon with the Drain/Absorb Stamina Enchantment. These damage your enemy's Stamina and add the same amount to yours when you hit an enemy. There's also a Light Armor Perk which increases Stamina Regeneration by 50%, and the Lady Stone gives you +25% Mana and Health Regeneration. So overall, minimal Stamina investment is needed to maximize your melee build as well.

26) Things that are most optimal to do early in the game:
    Spoiler
    Show

26) Things that are most optimal to do late in the game:
    Spoiler
    Show

• Most quests involving a leveled item, including the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and most Thane quests.
    • Miscellaneous Quests in general, which usually provide random level dependent treasure.
    • Just walk around and explore for the sake of exploring, going into and clearing random dungeons, caves, and buildings. You could easily spend 40+ hours doing this early in the game, and things will get very difficult for your character at mid-levels because you don't bother to unlock any Shouts.
    • Grinding any Skill (such as Persuade, Sneak, Smithing, Enchantment, etc). Grinding any Skill increases the difficulty of the game. The increase at low levels is dramatic, and can make the game unplayable (without changing the settings). Doing so at higher levels (when you basic combat Skills are already high, and you have plenty of potent equipment) has less of an effect on the game's difficulty.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

For my Honeymoon with Aela we went up there and wiped out all the guards out front too. Ah Love.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    Uhm.
    It's not pure hear-say.
    He's right there, in the dungeon.
    And Esbern won't open the door until you get the information from Brynjolf.
    the part I was referring to as hearsay was the correcting of the scheme by talking to the guard that arrests the guy you planted the ring on, I haven't tested it, so I was saying that as a disclaimer

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    That ignores the important parts of the questline though. That's my problem.

Spoiler
    Show
    I want to stop Mercer Frey. I want to make sure Galius gets justice and the Skeleton Key is returned to its rightful place. I want to pledge myself to Nocturnal (my character is very pious, even to the Daedra). I want, no, REALLY WANT that Amulet of Articulation you receive upon winning control of the Guild. But to get there, I have to do very un-heroic things, especially in the opening quest for it. It bugs me that every time I try to talk to Talen-Jei, Keirava, the owner of the Pawned Prawn, etc, all I'm met with is loathing.

My obsessive paladin-like, do-gooder nature is now conflicting with my obsessive completionist nature.
    Alternative: play up the "undercover agent" angle. Don't do the side jobs. Don't kill anyone (like instructed). Then in the end, bring them all to justice.

Though this is also one of the reasons why I dislike there not being a Disguise skill. It could be so awesome.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #67

I've read / been told that theft from a town affects that town's economy. Can anyone verify/deny this?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

So, having just gotten my first chance to really put some time into this game, I'm glad that the Dark Brotherhood is turning out to be just as enjoyable in this game as in Oblivion. They always seem like the most lovable and close-knit faction to me, although the Companions aren't too bad either. The Companions still don't have an adorable 200-year-old little girl alchemy instructor or an old man who melts people's faces off, though.

I noticed that the Dark Brotherhood has a set of robes as well as armor, too. What would be a good way to go about being a mage-assassin? I was thinking of a character focused on Sneak, Illusion, and Conjuration to creep up on enemies and either go for a sneak attack with a bound weapon or generally sow chaos with rage spells and summoned critters, using Quiet Casting to try to stay out of the fight.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I noticed that the Dark Brotherhood has a set of robes as well as armor, too. What would be a good way to go about being a mage-assassin? I was thinking of a character focused on Sneak, Illusion, and Conjuration to creep up on enemies and either go for a sneak attack with a bound weapon or generally sow chaos with rage spells and summoned critters, using Quiet Casting to try to stay out of the fight.
    you are talking about what I'm doing right now... creepy... but it works well, enjoy it, I'm having a blast with just that sort of character!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If/when I draw up another character, it'll be a sneaky destruction mage/assassin (I have a type and I'm sticking to it). It'll be hard to work out right, especially since it's hard not to notice a fireball, but it should be fun.

How do dogs work out for sneaky characters? I don't need a follower, I can one hit most everything on my own, but I do like dogs. Will they give me away when I'm trying to sneak?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Person_Man: Regarding #26, I never found Daedra Hearts particularly difficult to find. They regularly are stocked in Alchemical shops past a certain level and there's a guaranteed four hearts at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon every ten days.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    The Companions still don't have an adorable 200-year-old little girl alchemy instructor or an old man with Jim Cummings's raspy voice who melts people's faces off, though.
    FIFY
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I need a spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The quill that got lost in the lake? How do I proceed to find it? I don't get any quest marker for it anywhere.
    Told you in the last thread: reposted here for convenience.
    Thank you, good sir.

Edit: They are now happily married...
    Spoiler request:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The quill lost in the lake? I get no questmarker for that one... how do I proceed to find it?
    Spioiler Answer!
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you're Argonian or have water-breathing this is a lot easier (due to the lack of an oxygen meter).
    1) Go out to the Riften Docks
    2) commence swimming towards Goldenglow Estate
    3) Ensure you can see the bottom of the lake at all times.
    4) When you see a sunken Rowboat, that's your target, It should be about halfway between the docks and Goldenglow.
    5) Pick the lock on the strongbox

I tried.

There was nobody home.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2011-12-05 at 06:13 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

I didn't kill a single one until I got
    Spoiler
    Show
    down into the dungeon. Up to that point I'd thought the idea was not to be seen. I smuggled in about 6 invisibility potions.

I was annoyed to find, however, that despite my being an Altmer and wearing a full Thalmor outfit that I found laying around, the guards still attacked me on sight.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Recently my fire-loving Dumner mage found himself appointed as Arch-mage of Winterhold. While he is certainly a hand at destruction and alteration magic and can raid a tomb like Indiana Jones, he's not entirely sure he has the qualifications to lead an academic institute. Still the place seems to run itself with no one ever really bothering to ask him to do any form of paper work so he's quite content.

The various explosions and magical fallout that preceded his appointment however left him feeling that he should probably seek a source of funding before his college goes bankrupt financing the repair bills. The source in question? Why the Thieves Guild of course!

Spoiler
    Show
    Upon arriving in Riften he found his way into the Guild with little trouble, was declared a thievin' prodigy by a large Nord man and sent about some basic mafioso tasks. All well and good, but this isn't real thievery he railed! "Oho!" cried fate, as it is want to do, and along came a proper job: The Goldenglow Heist/Arson/WhateverThePeopleWillCallIt!

And so, in the late hours, Ar'ith left his faithful housecarl Lydia (who apparently doesn't care that her thane and saviour of the world is descending into the world of organised crime) upon the shores of the WhateverTheLakeIsCalledIDon'tHaveTimeForMinorDetai ls and swam out towards the Goldenglow island to find this secret sewer entrance he heard so much about.

Well he found it, but all it really seemed to do besides affording him the opportunity to char some skeever was take him from one side of the island to the other. He's pretty sure he could have just hopped up the little rock face to reach the door the sewers popped him up next to, but no matter, onwards to riches!

He managed his way through the house rather well through the use of stealth and the muffle spell, which seemed to work a treat despite his abysmal illusion skill (He never thought he might one day actually need it when liberal application of fire and frost had served him well so far). He even managed to sneak up to Arangoth's (sp?) room undetected to steal his key... only to find him sneak-crouched in the corner of his room behind a cupboard...

Ar'ith: "... oh well, he's clearly sleep... sneaking... whatever, I'm picking his pocket. And so I did!"

Funnily enough, upon returning to the door leading back downstairs a subtitle popped up on the screen:

Arangoth: "What was that noise?"

Ar'ith: "Frikkin' skooma addicts."

The rest of the sneaking went rather well. Ar'ith made his way to the basement and only had to burn and stab to death one guard who just couldn't be made to not look at where the brightly lit stairs Ar'ith had to go down were. Perhaps there is reason to carrying around those silly bow things that don't shoot balls of fire.

Safe robbed and a another, this time useful, trip through the sewers later and Ar'ith was back outside. Now to burn up some beehives. Oh, but they look well guarded. What to do...

Solution: Ar'ith, in a moment of brilliance, swam around to the back of the island upon which the beehives sat, hopped his way up the rock face to the top, stood on a rock which afforded him just enough height to peer over the fence and spot the top of the beehives... and blast at them with fire before leaping back into the water to retrieve his housecarl and report the job finished.

And you thought you were so smug, eh Mr. Goldenglow quest?
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I will never be using
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...those masks. They are simply way too ugly to be used by ANY of my characters, period. They look HIDEOUS.

Personally I finished the thieves guild quests at lvl 16, so yes, I could have gotten a better version of the armor, I guess. I am slowly working on getting my smithing skill up to 60, so I can improve it though.

However: Damn it! Now I want to start over...
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-12-05 at 07:54 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I cannot find the quest give for the Unfathomable Depths quest - "From Deepest Depths". I've visited the Fishery during the day, I've visited Healga's Bunkhouse at night, but the helmed argonian is nowhere to be found. Is there a minimum level for the quest?

Second, Agent of Dibella isn't supposed to give you a +10% melee damage in general, just against the opposite gender. But then, the reward for Unfathomable Depths is very different than what it's supposed to be: a boost to all armors and a fortify blacksmith effect.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2011-12-05 at 08:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    You're still promoting crime in the area by stealing things, planting false evidence to get innocent people arrested, altering peoples' business ledgers so their business loses money because you're skimming from it, and in the beginning basically making every good person in Riften hate you.
    You can purposefully fail the quest (start the quest, & get everyone set up then walk into a shop or outside Riften) Bro-nolf will then talk to you about other stuff

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want a readily available source of Daedra hearts, make sure you buy something from Enthir before you finish at Mage questline, otherwise the goods will no longer be available to you. If you buy at least once beforehand, he will continue selling to you at quest end.

This is the easiest way to get Hearts early on in the game, if not the most costly. Still, if you're selling enchanted goods you should easily have enough money to buy anything.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2011-12-05 at 10:14 PM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    If you want a readily available source of Daedra hearts, make sure you buy something from Enthir before you finish at Mage questline, otherwise the goods will no longer be available to you. If you buy at least once beforehand, he will continue selling to you at quest end.

This is the easiest way to get Hearts early on in the game, if not the most costly. Still, if you're selling enchanted goods you should easily have enough money to buy anything.
    I prefer to use the shrine of Mehrune's Dagon for my Daedra hearts.

Ignore what some folks say, getting access to the shrine is the real reward for doing his quest.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

...Okay, starting over...

Almost the same character, I think, but a bound weapon specialist. This seems viable, BUT it still seems I might be spreading my perks too wide:

One-handed, Archery, Light Armor, Conjuring, Stealth and Smithing...

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

...Okay, starting over...

Almost the same character, I think, but a bound weapon specialist. This seems viable, BUT it still seems I might be spreading my perks too wide:

One-handed, Archery, Light Armor, Conjuring, Stealth and Smithing...
    Yeah, having two weapon sets generally eats up most of your points. Assuming you go into Conjuration for ONLY Bound Weaponry, that build might work. If you focus only on archery or only on melee you would free up at least 10 perk points. You could arguably drop all points in Light Armor if you plan on never getting hit.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

23. - Top - End - #83

here's what I've currently worked out as my build, for a dark elf assassin/necromancer/illusionist, I still have a few perks to play with, and wanted some thoughts on the build, what is solid/what isn't, what should be used/what shouldn't, etc... http://skyrimcalculator.com/#16245

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have not played around with either magic or stealth builds, but the one issue I see is the complete lack of ability to do damage by yourself. You have invested points into the sneak backstab tree yet have not spent any points on a weapons that could actually benefit from it. So as long as you invest in one weapon perk tree you should have a solid build.
    Herpestidae made my Naktem avatar.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hunt11 View Post
    I have not played around with either magic or stealth builds, but the one issue I see is the complete lack of ability to do damage by yourself. You have invested points into the sneak backstab tree yet have not spent any points on a weapons that could actually benefit from it. So as long as you invest in one weapon perk tree you should have a solid build.
    Seeing as he took Assassin's Blade, he's probably using daggers. The prerequisite feats aren't doing him much good, but really there's not anything he can do about that. I think Armsman does affect daggers though, so points there are arguably put to good use. He's probably wearing the Dark Brotherhood gloves that double his sneak multiplier as well, so with Illusion he calms down enemies to get multiple 30x damage sneak attacks.

Anyway, here's what I think:
    Illusion - Keep in mind that the bonuses to the Illusion types from your perks are added into the spell effect before dual casting takes effect. So a Master level calm effect with Animage would be (25+8)x2 and a Master level calm effect with Animage and Hypnotic Gaze would be (25+8+8)x2. If you really want to skimp you coul probably roll with just Kindred and Animage.

Conjuration - The Thrall spells (IE Master Conjuration) are pretty lame. If you just want zombies, as your perk selection would suggest, the Master level perk would just be a waste.Nevermind, I forgot Dead Thrall was a Master level spell.

Sneak - Your Sneak perks are fine, Shadow Warrior is cool but keep in mind that the confusion only lasts about a second.

Light Armor - Deft Movement could be taken out, you probably don't want to be hit in Light Armor anyway (especially since you don't have Smithing to boost your Armor Rating). It will arguably save your life on certain occasions but I wouldn't count on it.
    Last edited by Bad Situation; 2011-12-06 at 01:41 AM.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, looking at this...

As I said I am not sure if I spread myself too thin or not, but:

Orc, Female (I know, it's not optimal, I just think the world needs more of them).

Archery

One-Handed (NOT dual weilding)

Conjuration, using on weapons ONLY. No zombies, no elementals. That should limit the perks needed there.

Sneak

On top of this I would like to go for light armor and enough Smithing so I can upgrade magical weapons and armor. No need to MAKE stuff, but I want to be able to upgrade what I find or buy.

Thoughts?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd suggest against going for one-handed without dual wield or a shield. One-handed and a spell isn't as useful as it might sound, when you can just press a button to prepare a spell. In return, you get the worst damage of all the melee options, and even worse you can't block unless you manually go and unequip your off-hand item, which you can't do with hotkeys. (Maybe it's easier on the console?) You'd be much better off either going for dual-wield for maximum damage, sword+shield for maximum defense, or a two-handed sword for the middle ground. (good damage and defense)

Edit: Funny how much confusion leaving out one little word can make.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2011-12-06 at 03:13 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    I'd suggest going for one-handed without dual wield or a shield. One-handed and a spell isn't as useful as it might sound, when you can just press a button to prepare a spell. In return, you get the worst damage of all the melee options, and even worse you can't block unless you manually go and unequip your off-hand item, which you can't do with hotkeys. (Maybe it's easier on the console?) You'd be much better off either going for dual-wield for maximum damage, sword+shield for maximum defense, or a two-handed sword for the middle ground. (good damage and defense)
    Trying to understand what you wrote but you seem to advocate for and against one-handed without shield or dual w:

First you say you recommend it.

Then you say it's NOT a good idea to have a spell in your left hand and a sword in your right, because you can just press a button to prepare a spell? But preparing a spell means you drop your left hand weapon!

Then you say something about it giving you the worst damage output without protection (true) and that you can't block (false!) without unequiping my left hand item? But you were up to now talking about NOT having a left hand item??

Please clarify...?

The last part makes sense; Max damage is dual wield. But you can't block at all then.

Sword-and-board is something I will probably use at times, but this build is "Magical Archer" with a side order of "backstabber". I will only fight with a blade up front if I have to.

...Which of course means I won't use 2-handed weapons either.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-12-06 at 02:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I meant to say I suggested against it. Edited to clarify.

Also, I should mention that you can use weapons/spells/etc for various skills without putting any perks into them. Having a high rank in Archery still helps you deal ranged damage, even if you don't put any perks into it. You won't be optimal, sure, but for some things like sneak, just raw skill can be more than enough.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentPaper View Post
    Sorry, I meant to say I suggested against it. Edited to clarify.

Also, I should mention that you can use weapons/spells/etc for various skills without putting any perks into them. Having a high rank in Archery still helps you deal ranged damage, even if you don't put any perks into it. You won't be optimal, sure, but for some things like sneak, just raw skill can be more than enough.
    Makes much more sense now

The thing is that I will probably dual-wield or use a shield, but I won't put any perks in those.

Speaking of this though... I know I have done this before, and left you guys hanging, but would anyone be interested in a let's play with this character?