New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Underside - The Third

[Underside Colony - Hub #3-Briz - Marketplace - Curvehorn's Fabrics & Textiles]

Inside, Rarity will find shelves upon shelves willed with rolls of fabrics of various kinds - some she won't recognize, as they're spun from materials found underground. When she steps through the door and utters her greeting, all the people in the store - some clerks, some customers, turn to look at her. One young goblin lady scurries over to her.
    Hello, um, miss. How may we help you?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Rarity blinks a little at the large number of looks and has the grace to look faintly embarrassed.
    How silly to expect to be the only one in here.

Shame!
    "Greetings! I've been commissioned to renovate one of the...mushroom farms nearby and was looking for materials to help me with my project. Preferably something to fit the local trends, which I'll admit to only have a slight grasp of."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

The store clerk looks confused. Decorate? Mushroom farm? Oh well. Money is money.
    Local trends? Well... this year, dark red with blue geometrics is pretty popular. Would this suit your needs?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"That sounds perfect! I believe I can whip something out of that."
    Rarity seems pleased, finding this particular trend much more interesting than the drab colors she had been expecting.

With a little clap of her hooves, the unicorn gestures on.
    "Let's have a look, shall we?"
    Absentee Spirit

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Of course. Follow me. The clerk guides Rarity through the store, in which the customers and the employees go back to business as usual. The two reach a shelf located in the back of the store, and the clerk has an assistant take off three bales of material. Each of the bales is in dark red and each of them has a different geometric design - one is covered in dark blue interlinking rings, the second one is covered in green dots and the third one is adorned with lots of thin white lines.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Rarity spends a few moments inspecting the fabrics, muttering to herself now and then about potential implementations.
    Not choices she would make in Ponyville, she's sure, but if it is the fashion here then it is her best bet for satisfying the farm-owner.

"I am satisfied. As for payment, is this currency acceptable?"
    The unicorn's tail flicks, depositing a bag that had been concealed within the curls onto the floor. After a moment of magical rooting-around, a few gold thick coin are produced. The Equestrian "bit". Larger than most coins, but often they don't require that many.
    Absentee Spirit

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

The store clerk examines the coins. They're not like anything she's seen before, but they're gold. Gold is always fine.
    They're quite acceptable. Now allow me to measure and cut the material for you... What follows is a rather boring - but not to Rarity, I suspect - procedure of measuring and cutting the required length of the selected material. It doesn't look any different than what Rarity is used to.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"By all means!"
    This is something that Rarity considers herself an expert on, so it's likely she may attempt to micromanage the process a little.
    Hopefully the goblin isn't the overly irritable sort.

But beyond that teensy bit of interference, the unicorn will wait quite eagerly for her materials.
    Almost ready to work!
    Absentee Spirit

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

The store is used to clients who know a lot about materials and have rather specific expectations, so Rarity's micromanaging won't be a problem. In the end, she ends up with a few bales of fabric.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Mission Stage 1: success.

"Many thanks for your aid."
    Then whatever form of payment that is deemed necessary can be arranged.
    Not really a part of the process Rarity cares for, just wanting to get to her work, but it must be done.

Then it is just a matter of grasping her newly-acquired fabric in a telekinetic grasp (courtesy of her glowing horn) and then she's off again!
    She has a few other supplies she keeps with her at all times, like basic needle and thread, so she's fairly confident she can work out a basic sprucing up with her latest acquisition.

If done right, maybe she can inspire the others to produce similar decorations and the entire colony will end up beautified!
    Ah, the dreams of a unicorn.

Something to do while she walks. Probably back to the tram.
    Absentee Spirit

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

[Underside Colony - Mushroom Farm]

Rarity will get back to the farm without much futher ado. The goblins there are somewhat surprised to see her back, and with a load of materials. They didn't really know what to expect...

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Rarity gives a chipper little hoof wave, obviously in a much better mood than when they saw her last.
    "Hello again, darlings! Now, before I get to work, I must ask: are there any preferences?"
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Dimak - the owner of the farm - steps forward, feeling increasingly ambivalent about the whole deal. Goblins, on the whole, don't take being surprised very well.
    I can't say I have any preferences. Decorating my farm has never been high on my list of priorities.
    There are some goblins who are really enthusiastic about it, though - a trio of small children peering from behind the adults.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ah children, always a source of enthusiasm.
    Also distractions. Sweetie Belle taught her this very well.

So while Rarity offers the little goblins a smile, she doesn't really do much to encourage their enthusiasm, retaining her efforts to the farm-owner.
    "Well of course not, you've been too busy ensuring that everything runs smoothly and everyone can get their paychecks and food, like a respectable owner."

The unicorn is far less abrasive when she has the opportunity to do things like this.
    "Well then, if you have no preferences, then just leave all the details to me! Your farm will be the talk of the town."
    Or city. Or colony. Or cave.
    Whatever term is best.
    Absentee Spirit

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure it will, Dimak says. Well, I suppose you're free to work. Please try to be careful, though. Some of the mushrooms are almost ready for picking.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Of course! I wouldn't dream of damaging any more of your mushrooms."
    That would require touching them. This is not something she plans on doing. She'll stand cramped up against a wall doing everything telekinetically if she has to.

"Very well then, I'll fetch you when I am done!
    I would prefer no interruptions, the working process is very delicate."

Or rather, her desire to keep her train of thought is very delicate.

If there are no further questions, comments, or notable concerns, the unicorn shall be on her way to work.
    Which will probably take awhile.
    Absentee Spirit

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

The goblins will let Rarity work, only watching her from a safe distance.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quite some time later, Rarity removes the glasses she had donned while working and stretches her legs a bit.
    "Well, that took a little longer than I had hoped, but no matter. A satisfactory first pass, I should think."

Now, just a matter of seeing if the goblins agree.

After taking a moment to fix up her now-disheveled mane, the unicorn leaves the farm-room to go seek out her hosts.
    Absentee Spirit

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Rarity will find the goblins gathered outside the entrance to the cave. Seems her work makes them quite curious. Dimak, the owner, is standing in the front of the crowd.
    Is it finished? He asks once the unicorn emerges.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well this is quite the pleasant surprises.
    Seems the goblins have taken an interest in her designs after all. Dare she say it, they look almost eager!
    Or wary-nervous, but Rarity will take it as eager instead.

More positive that way.

Wearing a vaguely tired, but nonetheless satisfied smile, the unicorn nods and gestures towards the door.
    "It most certainly is, awaiting your inspection and verdict."

Enter, ye curious goblinfolk!
    "Oh, forgo the torches, if you would, darlings. I dare say you shan't need them anymore."
    Why that is (ignoring the darkvision she is possibly unaware of), becomes fairly apparent for the first person to enter the cave.

As the first step is taken, gentle motes of black light descend from the ceiling, casting a unique glow over the fields. The nature of the lighting shouldn't be too horribly noticeable to darkvision (maybe she did notice?), but is enough to allow those without the boon to see fairly well. Even if colors are adjusts slightly.

The darker shades of fabric she purchased earlier have been applied to many of the edges of the room, to dispel any of the usual foreboding sense such places create in caves. The intended effect is to treat the eye with something more pleasant, but not out-of-place, when it is inevitably drawn there out of either curiosity or paranoia.

The lighter fabrics, with the green dots and white lines, have been carefully applied to the ceiling and walls in a manner that harmonizes particularly with the blacklight motes. Shading and shadows are cast specifically to help encourage the illusion of their crops being more prolific than prior (fungus on the walls?), but without any of the associated "ickiness" that Rarity attributes to dirt and slime.

The end result is fairly simple, with her limited supplies, but she took great care in her attempts at glamorized "illusion", to make the cave less forbidding and more full of life.

Rarity taps a hoof on the ground, in an almost nervous fashion, outside.
    She awaits an opinion!
    "If anything is to your dissatisfaction, I will of course immediately work to correct it..."
    Definitely possibly slightly nervous.
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The look on the goblin faces consists mostly of surprise. This is not what they expected, but... it doesn't actually look half bad. The three tiny goblin children look very excited, looking around the cavern with wide eyes. Dimak straightens the glasses on his face and says, with some amazement in his voice:
    I'd say it looks pretty good. And it won't interfere with the work, from what I see. I'm quite surprised. You clearly know what you're doing.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Any trace elements of nervousness that existed within Rarity is quickly dispelled at the goblin-approval. She may or may not be thriving just a teensy bit on that amazement.

With a definite pleased tone in her voice and after a happy in-place trot, Rarity supplies a little bow (whether Dimak is looking or not).
    "An designer such as myself lives for such generous praise."

Hopefully this will constitute an appropriate enough apology for unintentionally ruining part of their crop.
    And she got to infuse some of her designs into goblin society!

Win-win.
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say this is more than enough to make up for the damaged crop. Dimak extends his hand to Rarity. A pleasure doing business with you, Miss Rarity.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Rarity eyes the hand for the briefest of moments, contemplating the lady-ness of extending a hoof in return to shake.
    Politeness wins fairly quickly and she accepts the gesture with a gracious smile.
    "The pleasure is mine. This is what I live for, after all."
    Somewhat literally...bringing out the beauty in things is her special talent.

Hooray, she's in Dimak's good books again! Or...finally! Whichever is more accurate.
    Which means this is probably time to bring up a somewhat pressing issue.
    "If it is not too bold of me, I have no real idea of where I am..."
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Dimak raises an eyebrow and one of his ears perks up. He's not confused, though. Rarity's ignorance of where she is explains quite a lot.
    You're in Underside Colony, located in the are of Underside, which lies under the Nexus. I take it you didn't know you were coming here. It happens pretty often, he explains.
    The other goblins, meanwhile, examine the newly decorated cave. The children are especially interested in the decor.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Sometimes you just can't help when something goes wildly wrong and it places you in heavens-knows-where.

Rarity likes to think she's coping fairly well.

Underside Colony...okay, so that definitely confirms that this is a standalone, separate civilization area. Confirmation that she was below ground, as opposed to in a mountain somewhere, is useful too.
    Assuming the Nexus isn't a mountain, but she doubts it. More likely another city or country.
    "A series of locations I've never heard of, I'm afraid. I don't suppose Equestria rings any bells for you either?"

An eyebrow is quirked at the "happens pretty often" bit, but it isn't pressed.
    Perhaps this is just where all over-zealous teleportations lead.
    Absentee Spirit

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

No, I've never heard of it. Dimak shakes his head. Nexus is a very strange place that draws people from other locations into it. It's probably possible for you to get back home, though. What were you doing before you landed in my mushroom patch, if I may ask?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Of course he hasn't heard of it.
    Twilight seems to have really messed up this time, the poor dear.

Rarity considers this question for a moment, deciding which pieces of information would be most prudent or inessential.
    A simple answer is decided upon.
    "A friend of mine was casting a spell to take some other friends and myself to the kingdom capitol."
    Everything of importance, with none of the specifics, just in case.
    Absentee Spirit

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

I see. Well, if your other friends ended up in the Nexus, you should be able to find them. None of them are here, though. We'd have heard if more ponies had suddenly showed up in Underside, Dimak says.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

A relief and worry at the same time.
    Were all of her friends on their own, as she was?

Rarity's pretty sure that'd be bad for at least two of them.
    "Oh dear...well thank you for that bit of information. How would one exit Underside to reach the rest of the Nexus?"

They're in a cave...so she somewhat suspects the answer to this is going to involve tunnels.
    Wet, slimy, filthy tunnels.
    Absentee Spirit