New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Telekineticist (3.5 D&D, PEACH)<-really, you should.

Well, I guess then it shall be free drop, move activate, dmg all the time at 20.

Looking at it, our capstone is huge lol. But I also feel that we are basically done. Now, the other fun stuff. PrC and epic. Who has ideas? Ill run with whatever you give me.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

For unarmed TK, I'd like to suggest the weapon upgrading to counting as Epic damage for the purpose of DR at level 20.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

You know what, that makes sense. Since it already has the progression for overcoming DR I see no problem with it. So it shall be!

Any other thoughts for epic?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

That was mostly my big concern.

Does the weapon count as a force effect? Can you strike immaterial targets with it?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As stands these are the only force effects in the class: force blast, the damage from focused shield but not the shield itself, and the unarmed TK weapons.

Later all abilities gain the ability to effect things immaterial.

Side question: are we still adding trapfinding? And are Unarmed TK weapons able to be modified by any enchantments like amulet of natural weapons? Otherwise they will pale later in levels...oh well.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, I have made more updates. Streamlined Focused Shield's writing. Please check it over. Added the Unarmed TK weapon augments for 20. Please check them over. And...oh yeah added that Flight Feat, Disable Device, and Trapfinding as rogue. Did I miss anything?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

I'm unsure about the range for Unarmed TK weapon, and how do you figure the attack bonus? Count it as a melee weapon, using charisma for attack and damage? It isn't indicated within the ACF, so it's a bit unclear.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmmm. Should state that it is range of Hands like in TK Fighting. And since it is a weapon being wielded by your Hands you would use Cha for to hit and dmg as states in TK Fighting.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Might be good to clarify that. Remember, a player will try and take advantage of every little missed ruling or clause that could keep them from abusing the heck out of stuff.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, made changes to unarmed. Please reread the full ability and make sure it makes sense...too early in the morning to be sure lol.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

And I apologize if I sound cynical, but you do have PEACH at the top. So I'm going to be as honest and open as I can about the class.

Looking it over.... Is this what you mean for increasing range?

"For every 1d6 you add to the Unarmed TK Weapon (should probably give it a name) add 5ft to the weapon's reach."

If it counts as a reach weapon at that point, can you hit adjacent foes?

I would suggest, for clearer terms:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Unarmed Telekinetic (I refuse to use Telekineticist) may create a weapon of pure telekinetic force known as a TK Blade. The TK Blade is a melee attack modified by the Unarmed Telekinetic's Base Attack Bonus + Charisma modifier requiring at least one hand invested that deals 1d6 force damage + charisma modifier, with an additional 1d6+1 damage per Hand used. This weapon may be with a range of 10ft increments. You may make as many TK Blades as you wish, up to the maximum number of Hands free.

At 6th level, the TK Blade counts as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. At 10th level, it also counts as Cold Iron and Silver. At 16th level is also counts as adamantine, and at level 20 the TK Blade finally adds Epic to the list of qualities for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

My main concern is clarifications of abilities. If it's confusing to one person, chances are it will be confusing to a potential DM. I've had far too many DMs turn away good homebrew classes because they looked too complex to bother with.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Bugbear in the Playground

I quite like the remix of Unarmed TK just there...leaves the range increments in (it needs to state here 'to a maximum of your Telekinetic range') so we can still reduce range penalties quite happily throughout the levels, but it becomes much more streamlined...

With regards to your request for ability clarification, where do you propose said clarity is required? I'm happy with the place this class has got to, it's been a lot of hard work and heated discussions but it currently performs in a fairly unique and reasonable way. As such, I'd like other people to enjoy it too, so we should be presenting it in as simple a manner as possible. All help/PEACHing is appreciated so don't worry about offending, I believe DerTollUdo and I can tell the difference between an honest critique and a troll!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just as a thought, but if the Unarmed TK blades do force damage then what is the point of saying they overcome DR like adamantite and cold iron and silver... wouldnt force damage just bypass all the DR anyway?

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

First off, that is not at all what I meant and would be incredibly broken. I only put that bit in about how they get bigger because it is a normal part of the TK Fighting that you can wield weapons larger than normal once you get improved. And since I didn't want that to become unusable because of the ACF I made a clarification.

I don't see why the range needs to be in the ACF more than I have it in because that is a normal part of the class, and thus should be understood before ever taking an ACF. And while a smaller text block would make it look more streamline, it doesn't have necessary clarifications thus making it actually less optimal of a choice.

As for the force things and DR...well, that is an oversight lol. Maybe we should not make them force but instead be just normal weapon damage types. Add in that they count as B P or S whichever is most beneficial to the user. Refluff it so they are they ability to actually make your Hands into weapons. Then the DR bit stays and they no longer get hosed completely by a single spell. On that note maybe we should change wall damage to untyped. Then the only thing effected by anti Force stuff is Force Blast. Thoughts on this?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I think, that I made some clarifications in Shields at the beginning. So check them out.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

This class is looking less like Telekinetic and more like a Green Lantern base class

The only reason I'm asking for range to be included in the ACF is because you shouldn't have to go back between the ACF text block and the TK Fighting text block. Everything you need to use the TK Blade should be included in the text.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    The only reason I'm asking for range to be included in the ACF is because you shouldn't have to go back between the ACF text block and the TK Fighting text block. Everything you need to use the TK Blade should be included in the text.
    So you're suggesting we copy/paste the relevent info from TK Fighting into the Unarmed TK text, right?

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    World Warper

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much I guess. You should be able to cut out the removed abilities from the base class with the ACF, or otherwise indicate on what is similar.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As is, it does state how far you can wield them. As for replacing that block in the acf, no. The ability does not change in any other fashion besides only being able to wield the UA Blade as opposed to normal weapons. And that is already stated.

So, are there any other thoughts on things?

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by DerTollUdo View Post
    As is, it does state how far you can wield them. As for replacing that block in the acf, no. The ability does not change in any other fashion besides only being able to wield the UA Blade as opposed to normal weapons. And that is already stated.
    In all fairness, what Turalisj is asking for is to standardise the text layout so it falls in line with published materials, usually an ACF gives you complete replacments for abilities which change, even if 95% of it stays the same. If you like, I'll do the neccessary copy/paste and edit for the ACF so you don't have to (It's a lot of effort for something which doesn't seem immediately important!) Thing is, I'm inclined to agree that it should all be completely clear and keep to the format that published materials have. Those of us who've been involved in the R&D on this are gonna have an easier time understanding the class and it's intricacies because we made it! Others will not have the same advantage when reading through for the first time.

On a side issue, new PC parts ordered so may be up to normal capacity in the next 3 or 4 days (keep fingers, etc crossed for me!)

World Warper

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

It seems foollish to me is all lol. But Ithen suppose if that is the normal format for released classes then go ahead and do the edit and I will put it up. When you get your parts, put your thoughts up for the minor changes and suggestions made recently.

Also when I get bored enough I think I will fluff up the class.

21. - Top - End - #291

Fluff is certainly needed, aye! Might do a little myself if it's not all fluffed-out by the time my PC recovers!

Will give a full read and critique when I've got more than a ChaCha to read on (my eyes hurt!)

Full edit for Unarmed TK and a feat or two which may have survived the PC implosion (for TK Fighting) will be with you in a couple of days with any luck!

World Warper

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Due to life suddenly being full, I wont have time to make fluff until like rhursday morning ish. But I can still make clarifications to any of the class features if anybody needs them :)

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Added fluff, also added some lines to abilities for the sake of clarification.

TK Hands:
    These Hands are not Force effects. The only class ability which is a Force effect is Force Blast. Things normally immune to Telekinesis are not immune to the abilities of this class.

Mental Strength:
    These movements are smooth and the pressure is uniform over the object.

Force Blast:
    If holding an item with Mental Strength that could be used for this ability, you may use the Hand holding it in the Force Blast, and maintain your hold on the item after the blast so long as it is still in the range of your Hands.

Ghostly Touch:
    Your Focused Shields now affect ethereal creatures.

Pure Telekineticist:
    The range of your Disrupting Throw becomes 10ft/class level.

Unarmed Telekineticist:
    These deal damage equal to 1d6/Hand damage and count as either Piercing, Bludgeoning, or Slashing whichever is most beneficial.

If anybody has better/more fluff they feel like they would want to see, let me know. What is up is just my first attempt at fluffing this class.
    Last edited by DerTollUdo; 2012-04-07 at 12:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

I have a functional PC once more! I've lost all my data, and need to try and recover books/brew, but I'm back!

Sweetness and pie DerTollUdo, this looks good now, really good. Noticed a couple of minor points which need tidying up, as detailed below

Mind's Eye doesn't state the use of a Hand at first, suggest adding this:

At 5th level, as a full round action you may gain Touchsight out to half the range of your Hands until the end of your next turn. This requires the use of one Hand and you must be psionically focused to do this.

Trapfinding isn't listed on the table, I'd suggest putting it at 3rd level next to TK Reach personally.
    Also, we need to add Search to the class skills, no point in having trapfinding otherwise...

On a related note:
    Mine Sweeper [Psionic]
    Requirements:Trapfinding class feature, Mind's Eye class feature
    Benefits:You gain the ability to use your Mind's Eye to make a search check in a large area. You may make a search check as if you were searching a single 5ft square (you may not take 20 unless you have an ability which states directly otherwise) to instead apply this result to the entire area of this effect for the purposes of trapfinding. You become instantly aware of any traps you find, and know where they and their triggers are.
    This is a cone shaped emanation with a range equal to your Mind's Eye radius which requires three Hands and a full round action to complete. You may use additional Hands to gain a cumulative +2/Hand bonus on the search check.

I'd tidy the TK Reach fluff as such:
    "It's just a floating sword! It can't be that dangerous...right?" Captain Reokus' last coherent words.

TK Flight needs a minor tweak here:
    At 11th level, your fly speed increases to 40ft and you may stay aloft for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom score. You only need two Hands to keep this up indefinitely.

Also thought I'd give the intro fluff a going over, see what you think:

When a psion or wilder begins manifesting their power for the first time, they often discover their powers through telekinesis. The sudden movement of objects, flying crockery, stacking chairs and juggling balls in mid air are all commonplace events when a young psionic is learning. Most grow out of this phase, finding other, more dramatic, specific or subtle uses for their talents. However, a few never move past the telekinetic, finding that the more they practice, the more control and precision they gain on the world around them. Over time their mastery of movement becomes legendary, and many a story has been told of various members of this class. These rare individuals are known as Telekineticists.
    Last edited by Veklim; 2012-04-09 at 06:45 AM.

World Warper

25. - Top - End - #295
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thanks for catching those :)

Added those to the class. And put up your new feat. It is very cool. Also liked your opener since I felt it needed some work :P

Anything else you noticed?

26. - Top - End - #296

OK, edit continues!

Couldn't resist expanding this:
    Force Blast(SU): The first sign of the wandering Telekineticist would have been the tree, upside down in the keep's main tower. Then of course there were the cows...OK, what was left of the cows, all over the town square. Though, the thing that really stuck in the minds of Griftshire's people was the day the prince crash landed, upside down, and slightly exploded, on the pulpit halfway through the holyday sermon. As it turns out, Telekineticists aren't always subtle.

Problem here:
    Wild Talent: His powers weren't born from years of study; his powers were born from the his wild imagination.

Far Trick(SU): "Not very long ago, you thought that because you tied me up and surrounded me with guards I was no longer a threat. Would you care to re-assess?" ~A Telekineticist after disarming and grappling his captors from a chair in the corner of the room.

Because I already had something in mind here:
    Martial Skill (EX): "Do you know how easy it is to train with a weapon when your body doesn't get in the way? No? Wouldn't have thought so..." ~A Telekineticist discussing his satchel of unusual weaponry with an incredulous guardsman.

Because fun is the point, and always should be :
    Focused Shield(SU):"You know what's fun? A good fight. You know what isn't fun? An unfair fight. Let's just fix this real quick...and there we go. Now this is good fight fun."

Also figured I'd have a stab at rewording Singularity (nearly no rule changes except slight unification of repulsion/attraction, mostly just a clarification/simplification edit):
    Singularity
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a standard action, you may use one Hand to create a Singularity point anywhere within your TK range. The Singularity may effect any number of creatures (not objects, although undead are susceptible) within 30' of it's center point, even if this would go beyond your TK range. Each target creature must be hit with a ranged touch attack from an unoccupied Hand, whereupon they must succeed a Fortitude save or be affected by the Singularity point. To target a creature it must weigh no more than 50lbs/level. You may use additional hands to increase the save DC and maximum weight for a target, each additional Hand yields +2 DC or +50lbs/level. You may dismiss Singularity as a free action.

The Singularity may be used in one of two ways, attraction or repulsion. These are detailed separately below:

Under attraction, all affected creatures are drawn towards the Singularity, where they collide with each other and are held. Upon collision, all targets take bludgeoning damage equal to 2d6/10' each target traveled put together (for example, there are 3 targets. Target A travels 20', target B travels 10' and target C travels 30'. Upon collision at the center they each take 12d6 bludgeoning damage).

Every round at the start of their turn, affected creatures get a new Fortitude save to escape the effect. The save DC increases by +2 for every other target caught in the singularity (so if four creatures were caught inside, the DC would be at +6). For every round they fail this save, the target will take 5d6 crushing damage as the force holding them applies pressure. You may invest more Hands in the Singularity, to increase the damage they take by an additional 5d6/Hand.

Under repulsion, all affected creatures are thrown away from the Singularity instead. A repulsed creature is thrown 30' directly away from the Singularity and takes 5d6 damage. If nothing obstructs this movement, the creature is left prone outside the area of the Singularity and may not reenter by any means until the end of the Singularity effect (though they may still fire ranged weapons and spells into and through the effect). However, if an object like a wall or pillar obstructs this movement, they take an additional 2d6 damage for every 10' they failed to travel, and are crushed as if under attraction instead of repulsion until the end of the effect. You may invest more Hands in the Singularity to increase the distance thrown and damage inflicted by repulsion, for each additional Hand so invested you gain +10' distance thrown and +5d6 damage.

You cannot form multiple Singularities in the same square or in any square occupied by Lockdown or Focused Shield.

Note: Might wanna decide, since I unified the repulsion and attraction entries, whether a lone Singularity may both repel AND attract, or whether it may only do one or the other, chosen at time of creation? My vote is for only one at a time, with perhaps an epic feat allowing for more precise shenanigans post 20th. We might also want to think about putting a maximum duration on it, as it is now, there isn't one...

Also, finally caught this, which is where all the confusion came from! Add in the underlined words:
    Any creature that attempts to pass through the barrier and fails takes force damage equal to 1D6 +1/ class level.

We've missed putting (Metacreativity) after The Maker's title in the ACFs as well, noticed last week but forgot to mention it!

That's about it for now, bet you're glad I'm back eh?
    Last edited by Veklim; 2012-04-10 at 10:12 AM.

World Warper

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Alright, I found some time! Your fluffy goodness has been posted. Your rewrite of Singularity has been done. Fixed the cathces you found.

Got anything else? Also, we really need some ideas for epic/PrCs.

28. - Top - End - #298

Nothing else popping out at me right now, I'm amazed I found so much with the last check-through actually, although it's the first time in weeks that I actually sat and read the entire thing (it's rather massive no?!).

I am getting married in 2 weeks, and therefore have holiday coming up, this means I shall have lots of time beforehand, and then no time at all afterwards, each for about a week. I'm intending to use at least some of my spare time to run more comprehensive playtests and check out lockdown & singularity since neither existed with my last round!

As far as epic is concerned, I've not had much to do with epic (most of my campaigns run out of stuff to destroy by about level 16-18!) so I'm not terribly up on it, but I shall do some reading once my books are back (they were on the HDD which imploded, but most of them are being recovered across town as I type). Hopefully I can come up with something reasonable for epic then.

With regards to PrCs, I actually DO have an idea for one which would progress the savant classes (any of them) into 9th level powers over 10 levels, and another half-formed thought about a TK/rogue fusion which may end up being all those things that the soulknife repeatedly failed to be, but the second one is early concept.

I shall endeavour to produce the rudimentary shell of the savant PrC asap, and the TK/rogue sometime after next saturday when my hols begin!

World Warper

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been mulling over the idea of a pupetier prc class some more, but been finding it a bit silly. AFCs seem to be taking the build focused Prc place, but feel free to make up some prcs...
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hey bob!
    I have also had ideas about a kind of puppeteer as a Prc. It seems like a fun offshoot. I would love to see your idea for it :)