New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Dragonshard War [4E Eberron Campaign] (IC)

----

A Half-Elf, dressed in a finely woven blue and gold robe, adorned with red and green floral embroidery saunters up to you. The stiff wind makes his long, blonde hair flow backwards like a sea of yellow-white wheat. His cheek is emblazoned with a shimmering blue and purple tattoo. His voice is melodic yet firm, "I am Tarsis d'Lyrander of House Lyrander. Milady Esravash d'Lyrandar, matriarch of our House, has taken note of your skills and has followed your career with great interest for many years now. She would like to invite you to her manor on the island of Stormhome." He pauses for a moment as he retrieves a a rolled parchment, bound by a golden silk ribbon. "This is your invitation. She is expecting you on the 16th of Aryth. You may board the the Kind Cleaver, one of our Airships, which will see you safely to Stormhome."

The Kind Cleaver is a small airship, probably one of the first constructed by House Lyrander. It has perhaps 20 crew members, all of whom look like veteran sailors. The Captain, one of Nataru d'Lyrander, has the look grizzled old man, who has seen too much combat, too much death. You inquired to the crew and they told you he was once a Captain in the Aundair Navy, he saw battle in the Scion Sound on a regular basis. Hashala d'Lyrander, the female first mate of the ship, looks far more elven than her half-elven kin, with high cheek bones and green eyes; she has the look of youth and inexperience about her yet the way she barks orders at the crew and the manner in which she carrier herself, says the opposite.

You find yourselves in the wardroom, awaiting appetizers. You can hear Snickerdoodle, the goblin cook, cursing to himself in goblin as the sound of pans clanking and fire roaring boom out of the floor below you. The wardroom is nicely adorned, with several pictures of half-elves wearing fancy clothing, as well as a few landscape paintings scattered about. The dining table was removed from the room, to accommodate several sofas and other chairs. As you look around, you see a dozen or so people mingling, some are recognizable, others not. The First Mate sits alone in a chair looking longingly out the window. One of those traveling with you, a human dressed in an outfit that marks him as a noble from Lhazaar, stands about flirting with several of the servants; a Hobgoblin wearing a silver breastplate, acts as his wingman. Three Dwarves stand at the back of the room, by the small bar, drinking heartily. Two elves, dressed in flowing robes, sit next to the door, stone silent.

Given recent events, you can't help but think these guests may have something to do with what the Sharn Inquirer is calling the Dragonshard War...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map:

Map Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Brown: Deck of the ship
    Light Brown: Covered room
    Red: Large Sofas
    Peach: Tables/Counter Tops
    Charcoal: Grate (leading below deck)
    Olive: Stairs

Last edited by Felhammer; 2011-12-08 at 08:08 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: The Dragonshard War [4E Eberron Campaign] (IC)

Cav

What a group this makes....Cav smiles at some private thought and nods toward the man sitting close by. "How are you enjoying the trip, Sir d'Orien?" Cav asks and leans back, a short glass of rum in one hand. "I remember the first time I saw one of these airships..." He chuckles and swirls the dark brown liquor in the glass. "...my first thought was how do they do that? A close second was how do I get my own?" With a wink he drinks the rest in the glass and sets it on a nearby counter. "Truthfully, I haven't really figured out an answer to either one just yet. Something always seems to come up."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Faceless Man

Saal appears as a short, well groomed human with long silk black hair and a hawk nose. He dresses in a fashionable dreamsilk doublet that glows with the yellow and red of a Sharn sunset with matching breeches. Beneath the doublet is a cloudsilk tunic that appears the color of white mist. His cloudsilk hat is feathed with a single red plume.

Saal smiles warmly and greets all who approach him with cheerful smiles of flashing white teeth. He introduces himself to any who inquire with tradition Aundarian pride. Seeing the lone mate, Saal extracts himself from any would-be conversationalists and glides over to her sofa.

With a flourish, he removes his hat and bows deeply. "Pardon me, m'lady. I could not help but notice both your beauty and your disinterest. What burdens you?"
    Last edited by Sploosh; 2011-12-08 at 11:49 PM.
    Some men are born to kill.
    Others push people around.
    A few are destined to lead

I was born a tank.

¶▅c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
    ▄████████████████▅▄▃▂ Avatar by Lordsmoothe
    █E█V█I█S█C█E█R█A█T█O█R██►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The First mate, still staring out into the blue skies, dispassionately states, "The Bar does not have a bottle of Château Fairhaven... Its the wine I always drink on this, the day my sis..." She cuts herself off, shakes her head and looks up into the eyes of Saal, "Sorry, I was just reminiscing about ancient history. What brings you aboard Mr... Saal, was it?"

Off in the distance you can hear Lord Gunner Fate come to the climax of some heroic tale of adventure he had on the high seas. A red haired half-elf servant seems quite taken with the Lhazaar nobleman. The groans of disbelief emanating from Law Chiefsaber, dignitary from Droaam, are clearly audible to everyone except for Lord Fate and his doting servant girl.

Roarf Waur, the ugliest of the three Dwarves, saunters up to Cavolinus Archer, a pint of ale in hand and rather jovially says, "How be ye laddy? I be hearin you're quite the Knight. My brother back there," Roarf points towards Tanro, "Says you saved a damsel from... Well some less than reputable folk. A man like you," Roarf lowers his voice and whispers, "Could go far by working with me an' my Clan. When this silly business in Q'Barra is over, I will be requestin' your services." The Dwarf then chuckles loudly, pats Cavolinus on the back, and quite loudly says, "Ah yes, I would love your recipe for Vulture Stew!"
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2011-12-09 at 12:13 AM.
    DMing:

5. - Top - End - #5

The Faceless Man

Saal nods, his face feigning empathy. "Yes, my dear. My name is Saal. Today is not about me however, but...ancient history." He puts his hand on hers. "Perhaps, I can find some Château Fairhaven and we could toast those who still haunt our hearts. I shall make it my quest." Saal pledges as he departs in search of the elusive wine.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

To Saal:
    Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to make a Streetwise check to see if anyone on the ship has a bottle or knows of any on board.

Last edited by Felhammer; 2011-12-09 at 12:28 AM.
    DMing:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaz

Khazomiel smiles along at the end of Lord Fate's tall tale, and takes a demure sip from a glass that has steadfastly remained at three-quarters full for most of the party. Truth be told, she'd rather be outside admiring the blazing elemental rigging that keeps the ship aloft- in part to have an excuse to keep the hood of her robes up and her horns covered. Still, his stories are no less entertaining for being thoroughly implausible, and there does seem to be an endless supply of them...

The latest explosion of noise from the kitchen, though, has Khaz a little concerned. She turns to a nearby servant- "Is everything alright down there?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Khazomiel flags down a tall, ruggedly handsome Human male, with flowing blonde hair and bulging biceps. He turns, slowly, as if trying to maximize the amount of time his long hair can remain afloat. His voice is chiseled and deep, "Milady," The servant bows deeply, "It is my pleasure to inform you that all is well in the Kitchen. The Head Chef is..." He dashes his head to the left and feigns grief, "How shall I say, a bit eccentric, no? Sadly, he enjoys chaos far too much. However," his head swings back forward, his hair flows in air behind him like a sea of wheat, his eyes meet yours as he continues, "When you live aboard a ship as long as I have, venturing from one exotic port to the next, you learn to accept the faults of others and, in time, embrace their eccentricities. Chef Snickerdoodle is merely putting on a show for all to hear. He does this so you will be most kind when he asks you how his food tastes... Which, as a fellow employee of this fine, sturdy ship, I can assure you is quite excellent."
    DMing:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaz

Oh my.

"Well. I'll look forward to it, then," she mutters, momentarily tongue-tied. She looks away, composing herself in the length of time it takes to tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, then gives the sailor a polite smile.

And I certainly hope your friend finds that kindness isn't the sole purview of sailors and long acquaintances."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bren

Sitting in the belly of the beast that threatens Orien's overland transportation, Brennen manages to remain cordial with his hosts, for the sake of his mission. He shares a drink with the friendly gentleman beside him, and does his best to entertain the comments on the airship, Yes, the craft is truly a wonder. He chuckles at Cav's remarks concerning acquiring a ship of his own, but the man's wink sets off a familiar feeling in the Orien heir. He extends his hand to shake Cav's, Brennen Adalgo d'Orien. Forgive me but, have we met before?

He listens as the dwarf praises the man beside him, and then catches a glimpse of another familiar face, though this one he recognizes. He waves to Khaz in greeting and invites her over to join him and the gentleman sitting next to him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The blonde-haired servant flashes a coy smile, his pearly-white teeth almost glisten in the light. "Kindness is a virtue milady, one that the Nine have gifted me in spades."
    DMing:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaz

"How very fortunate," Khazomiel notes, privately thinking that they could have used a touch more modesty. Or prudence. But oh, he was pretty.

"I don't believe I caught your name- ah, and I've just caught sight of an old friend," she adds, returning Brennen's wave. "Will you be joining us?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Vaine

Vaine casually strode around the ship, making conversation with most everyone. He was a short, skinny human (at least in form) with brown hair, green eyes and pale skin. His clothing looked fairly ordinary, but those with discerning tastes would recognize the materials as at least fairly expensive.

During this trip, Vaine decided to use his talents to "fit in". Having travelled a great deal, he could reasonably carry on a conversation about a great many things, most of which would be true. He casually conversed with the dwarves, the hobgoblin and the Captain and First Mate. Everytime, he would talk of a great many things, but be vague enough by not mentioning names and dates. Even here, someone may be tracking him.

He silently cursed being invited using his true name. It wouldn't be prudent to start to use a false name with those here since he didn't know who else was invited (or knew his real name). He only made mention of it when asked, however.

Seeing two of the "other" humans conversing about the airship, he decided to take his barely-touched wine glass and join them. "Greetings and well met. What brings each of you on a vessel towards Stormhome?"
    Emongnome

14. - Top - End - #14

Cav

"A Knight? Believe me, the stories grow in each telling. No, I've merely a sword and not much smarts and have been lucky to be in the right place at the right time...well, more than a few times." Cav says and chuckles, then leans over to the end table and pours some more rum into his glass. "I rarely plan that far ahead, but I've longed to see the dwarven homelands." He says quietly out of the corner of his mouth and shifts back to his seat.

"I'm afraid someone's tricked you, Sir Dwarf. The first thing you need to know about Vulture Stew is that you don't want to eat it. Seriously. Gnawing off your own leg would be a better meal." Cav closes his eyes briefly and shivers. "Not that I've tried that delicacy, but the stew you're referring to would blanch even the staunchest dwarf, and that's no insult." He says and raises his glass. "It's a foul brew, made with a demons curse. I'll say no more of it this evening."

With a nod towards the dwarf Cav turns to the d'Orien. "Not personally, no, but I've heard of an exploit or two. I'm impressed, and that's no easy feat." Cav takes a sip and then shakes the offered hand. "Right, of course. I'm Cav Archer, an...explorer and guide, I suppose."

Spoiler
    Show
    @Fishy
    Vulture Stew could be a mean nickname for some cultural tiefling dish, if you wanted to make a slightly awkward moment for Cav.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

15. - Top - End - #15

Bren

Brennen shakes the man's hand, his mind working on the name. Cav... Archer, Cav... Archer. Jungles and strange elves of blackest skin come to mind, and Brennen can see that same wink the man just gave him. Suddenly, and with a snap of his fingers, Cav Archer! Yes, you're the explorer traveling the Thunder Sea! Now that the veil has been lifted from his mind, Brennen visibly relaxes and follows Cav's example, pouring himself another glass.

I recognized you from the novels they print of your exploits. I buy them for my nephew when I can. I no longer train him for his duties in the House, now I must train him to fight giants and fire-wielding elves. He stops just before taking another sip, jokingly adding as an after-thought, Having never faced a giant or fire-wielding elf, I'm hardly qualified to teach him such things, but we get along as best we can.

When Vaine comes over, Brennen gives a non-committal smile, Business I presume, but at the moment, fine spirits and company.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2011-12-09 at 12:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Khaz
    The servant bows deeply once more in front of Khazomiel, "Milady, it is my honor to tell you that my name is Bello Hermoso." The Lhazaar Nobleman calls Bello over, as the human walks away, he twitches his head ever so slightly upon every step so that his hair ebbs and flows like the waves of the ocean.

Saal
    After chatting with a Halfling servant, you discover that there are two bottles of Château Fairhaven onboard - one is in Snickerdoodle's Kitchen and the other in Lord Gunner Fate's private quarters, located above the wardroom. How the halfling knew the Lord had a bottle, given that only female servants have visited Fate's quarters... Is anyone's guess.
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaz

Khaz leave her name with the sailor, and steals a glance as he leaves, then shakes her head, moving to join the group in the corner.

"So Brennen d'Orien comes to my rescue yet again," she says with a wry grin, once she's out of earshot. It only lasts a moment before returning under a mask of civility. Always a pleasure."

"Though it's an odd sort of business that would require us, wouldn't you think?"

18. - Top - End - #18

Saal attempts to casually examine the female servants and make sure he understands the basic habbits of the creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

Insight check:(1d20+30)[37]

Having felt comfortable with their mannerisms, he will discreetly obtain another, far cheaper bottle of wine.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thievery?
    (1d20+19)[39]

Saal will then quietly sneak upstairs under the appearance of the female servant with the wine. He attempts to access the private quarters and simply switch the labels of the wines and removing all traces of the evidence.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealth (1d20+19)[35]
    Thievery (1d20+19)[25]

Bluff to appear as the servant:
    (1d20+29)[32]

Last edited by Sploosh; 2011-12-09 at 11:22 PM.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Saal

You observe a feisty brunette who wandered off to the kitchen, you casually change your appearance to mimic her's as you step outside into the brisk winter afternoon air. As you surmount the slippery stairs to Lord Fate's private quarters you are met by a gnarled old Bugbear who is wearing nothing save for a bandolier (filled with daggers), a rapier at his side and a pair of short red-and-blue trousers. He stands in front of the door leading to the Lord's quarters. His voice is gravely and deep yet refined, "Well met milady. What brings you up those slick stairs on this chilly day?"

Spoiler
    Show

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ank3sYOGKsQfdDVxZm90UDFGbWRqeGEwMEM4RG9ub VE
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2011-12-10 at 12:57 AM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #20

The Faceless Man

Faceless reflects back to the servant girl, attempting to recall all the traits that make up her personage. He spares only a moment to take in the bugbear's stance and demeanor.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight: (1d20+30)[37]

He then puts on a warm, flirtuous smile and huskily replies, "Oh, nothing, goodsir. Just setting up a little surprise for m'lord. To celebrate the party of course!" He then shakes his body, highlighting the chilling effects. "Brr! Chilly indeed!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+27)[46]

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

To Saal

The bugbear seems entranced with your beauty and flirty cheerfulness. He stammers a bit as he watches you shiver before says, "Go in, go in. Last thing I want to see is a pretty young thing like yourself catch a chill." He then reaches into his chest hair and reveals a large ring with tends of keys. He fiddles with them a bit before finding the one he wants. He holds it up to the light for a moment - it is a silver-colored skeleton key fashioned with great care and artistry. The guard then unlocks the door and holds it open for you.

The private quarters are nice and toasty, especially compared to the outdoors. There are several chairs (each with a different embroidered design). A large bed lies in the corner, with silken sheets and covered with rose petals. A desk has several open letters lying on top, while the cabinet next to the desk appears to house several wine bottles. The doors to the armoire are flung open, you can see several expensive outfits and a glowing dagger lie inside.
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #22

The Faceless Man

Faceless giggles, playing on the bugbear's uncomfortability. He lightly steps inside and begins rustling through the wine bottles, taking the time to hum and haw at several choices before taking the risk to quickly swap the bottles.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thievery
    [roll]1d20+19/roll] 20

Faceless searches for some glasses to go with the wine and then takes a moment to gingerly run his fingers along the sheets and petals. He lets out a throaty purr before skipping back towards the door.
    Last edited by Sploosh; 2011-12-10 at 02:11 AM.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

To Saal

You find a bottle of Château Fairhaven from the year 957 YK. You deftly make the switch. You also find two lovely glasses with tall heart shaped stems.
    DMing:

24. - Top - End - #24

The Faceless Man

Faceless blows one parting kiss toward the bugbear. He heads back down towards the main area but pauses long enough to emerge as Saal.

Saal enters the main meeting area once again and deftly approachs the first mate. He hands her one of the glasses and gently whispers "To those who've forever touched our hearts" as he pours.

I was born a tank.

◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

25. - Top - End - #25

Bren

Bren glances over Khaz's shoulder at the man with flowing blond hair, Rescue you? I think not, he seemed charming enough. With a smile, he stands and offers her a seat, his own dark shoulder-length hair moving in response, though his appearance is less deliberate than the deckhand's with a five o'clock shadow and grime from the road. An odd business indeed, though under better circumstances than we are used to, he says to her with a knowing look. I am enjoying the company thus far. Gentlemen, allow me to introduce a trusted friend and comrade, Khazomiel Ravadanci. This is Cav Archer, famed explorer. And we were just being introduced to this good man. He extends a hand to Vaine, Brennen d'Orien.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lord Fate chuckles loudly, "WELL during the war, you see, I was a dashing swashbuckler. I raided a many Brelish and Thranish ships. At last count, I think my steward said I looted nearly half a million gold pieces! They called me the Feather-Sail Kraken..." Lord Fate trails off as a black haired elf servant enters the room, almost immediately he pounces upon the poor girl and begins his seduction routine though he whispers too quietly for any of you to hear.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2011-12-10 at 02:57 AM.
    DMing:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Khaz

Khaz offers her hand to aforementioned famed adventurer, then takes the offered seat, legs crossed at the ankles and tail wrapped close around her body. "You're too kind."

At the casual, boasting mention of looting and pillaging Thrannish ships, Khaz narrows her eyes at Lord Fate, suddeny less amused.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Law Chiefsaber, the Hobgoblin Knight, groans loudly and walks over to Khaz, Bren and Cav, "So why have you three been summoned by the Matriarch? Here to join the war effort?"
    DMing:

29. - Top - End - #29

Cav

"Ah, well don't believe everything you read." Cav says and stands up as Khaz comes over, lightly shakes her hand. "Good evening, ma'am." His eyes follow hers to the boorish Lord Fate and he shrugs while sitting back down.

"Wars are generally bad for business, and something I try to stay out of." He leans back against the couch, slowly swirling the rum in his glass. "Being an outsider here has let me maintain that neutrality to some degree, though even that has it costs." He pauses a moment and glances over towards the First Mate before turning back to the group. "Truthfully, I couldn't say why our honored host has requested me, but I'll hazard a guess that it's more to do with my blade than my stories."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Roarf, one of the Dwarven dignitaries pipes up, "Well they didn't hire you for your good looks! Not a single Dwarven woman would find you attractive, what with your thin, tall body and lack of a manly beard!"

The brunette servant, obviously free from the clutches of Lord Fate, walks by with a plate of Hors d'oeuvres. As she passes Cav she whispers, "The Dwarf may find you ugly but I find you quite attractive."
    DMing: