New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #819 - The Discussion Thread

Tarquin is made of win. There is no other explanation. I want to see a fight between him/his army vs. Xykon/Xykon's army.

Not to see who would win, but to see who's superior.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
    Tarquin is made of win. There is no other explanation. I want to see a fight between him/his army vs. Xykon/Xykon's army.

Not to see who would win, but to see who's superior.
    This misses the point of how Tarquin operates. He doesn't have an army; he just leads one. One possible scenario is this:

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest. Xykon, thinking it's his own idea, sends Redcloak and the goblins to the Windy Valley. Redcloak is killed. The leaderless goblins are attacked by the old Empire of Tears (now the Empire of Surprise), and are saved by the new leaders of the old Empire of Sweat. Gratefully, they accept their place in that empire, now re-named the Empire of Ruthless Efficiency.

In a year or two, Hinjo's army comes in and attacks Xykon's...

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    As I have stated before, it is more practical for evil people to surround themselves with (lawful) neutral ones, whose loyalty will not be easily overcome by sadism, ego or greed.
    I agree with this completely - which is another reason I argue that Malack is actually a LN alignment.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    Welcome to sighood. Hope you don't mind.
    Last edited by FlawedParadigm; 2011-12-11 at 03:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    This misses the point of how Tarquin operates. He doesn't have an army; he just leads one. One possible scenario is this:

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest.
    I agree up to this point.
    Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest.
    Xykon is way to Chaotic, unpredictable and, worse of all, smart, for Tarquin to use as a figurehead. Tarquin would rather contact Elan and pull of an Enemy Mine to get rid of Xykon. Then he would disguise a random skeletal undead as Xykon. There is no better figurehead than one without free will.
    Last edited by Lynn; 2011-12-11 at 04:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Excuse me? I'm pretty sure the rule limit to two magic rings had always been in place in 2nd edition already, and probably even in 1st.
    Correct, that rule was in 1e AD&D.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Me, as an old-school Dungeon Master, I can tell you that if any player had tried such a stunt in my game, his character would probably have lost about 8 out of 10 fingers rather quick.
    I'd just rule that at any given moment, any given ring has a 90% chance of not working. (80% really, but chuck in an extra 10% for showing off.) Easier to play.

Back to the comic: if Tarquin has known all along that the Order were together (which doesn't surprise me, they gave him enough clues), how does that affect our perception of his claim not to have known that Nale was infesting the place? He'd seen Thog, he should have seen Zz'dtri and probably Sabine if he's been using True Seeing on a regular basis.

Did he deliberately used the Order to flush Nale out? If so, what was his plan before they unexpectedly turned up on his doorstep?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Xykon's army fights the Empress's army. Xykon kills the Empress and the empire of Blood becomes Xykon's Empire of Fear. Soon, his general is Tarquin, and Redcloak never figures out how Malack got to be head priest. Xykon, thinking it's his own idea, sends Redcloak and the goblins to the Windy Valley. Redcloak is killed. The leaderless goblins are attacked by the old Empire of Tears (now the Empire of Surprise), and are saved by the new leaders of the old Empire of Sweat. Gratefully, they accept their place in that empire, now re-named the Empire of Ruthless Efficiency.

In a year or two, Hinjo's army comes in and attacks Xykon's...
    And Hinjo could be puppet leader for Tarquin or the elves since he needed them for military might unless he ally with possible tribes in southern continent (like Mongolian skyrim Nords).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Back to the comic: if Tarquin has known all along that the Order were together (which doesn't surprise me, they gave him enough clues), how does that affect our perception of his claim not to have known that Nale was infesting the place? He'd seen Thog, he should have seen Zz'dtri and probably Sabine if he's been using True Seeing on a regular basis.
    Maybe he wasn't using True Seeing regularly. He could have been using different rings, then switched when they went into Infiltration Protocal.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Maybe he wasn't using True Seeing regularly. He could have been using different rings, then switched when they went into Infiltration Protocal.
    Of course that's possible. It's just that the RoTS opens up a new set of possibilities and probabilities that weren't (obviously, at least) on the table before.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'd just rule that at any given moment, any given ring has a 90% chance of not working. (80% really, but chuck in an extra 10% for showing off.) Easier to play.
    Which is actually lenient next to the rules that are written for AD&D. By the rules, if you wear more than 2 magic rings there is a 100% chance that none will work at every given moment.

Although I do recall a magic item or two that could be worn that could allow you to wear equip yet another magic ring and have all work at once.
    Last edited by Belril Duskwalk; 2011-12-11 at 10:25 PM.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.
    The docks of a small fishing village. One of the character's nearly drown trying to catch a fish barehanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What the DM says goes. If he says enough stupid stuff, the players go too.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

An amazing chapter. I loved the insight Tarquin gave about Nale just before the exposure. He really is always prepared.

12. - Top - End - #222

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I agree up to this point.

Xykon is way to Chaotic, unpredictable and, worse of all, smart, for Tarquin to use as a figurehead.
    Also, way too high level. Tarquin wants low level saps who won't put up too much of a fight when it's time to replace them with the next figurehead.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Also, way too high level. Tarquin wants low level saps who won't put up too much of a fight when it's time to replace them with the next figurehead.
    And before anyone comments that the Empress doesn't fit this description, yes, she actually does. Based on the fact that she doesn't have any spells yet, she is at most a Very Young red dragon and therefore a CR 5. At this point even Elan could probably solo her. Although her larger-than-average qualities probably give her quite a bonus to her HP and crush damage...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Truly chaotic evil men are not insane. they are cold, tactical, and brutal. they will fight their enemy with years of experience and with every resource available to them.

Nale has none of these. making him a poor villain.

His farther does. but he exercises restraint. I think he may be lawful evil. this makes him a lovable villain. lovable villains are the best. you hate them, but you understand why they do what they do.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Maybe he's using Fantasy Batmans fancy utili-ring which automatically equips the right ring on his other ring finger 1 round before he was going to need it?