New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The True Archmage (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post
    Well, for a moderate fee the prepared caster can effectively "know" (by scribing into his spellbook) every spell even slightly worth knowing of his chosen descriptor for spontaneous casting at any time. Would it really be that much worse to give the Spontaneous caster knowledge of all spells with the descriptor? A lot of them will be redundant, but after a certain point quantity has a quality all its own.
    Oh okay, that works

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whow, this class is dealing in massive forces.

Theoretically, I'd say the huge costs and the great powers balance each other out but practically, if you put two 10 ton weights on the sides of a balance scale, even though they are the same weight, you risk breaking your scale.

Thus, I probably would not want this power in the hands of players but I do think, this interesting effects combined with a good level=CR scale that probably works, this class could be the base for an interesting final boss NPC.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

I practically fell in love with this class. Till the no casting part.

I would like to play this class for epic levels since you practically already have full casting.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    I practically fell in love with this class. Till the no casting part.

I would like to play this class for epic levels since you practically already have full casting.
    Level 15+ is practically epic levels, anyways, so if you don't have a schtick by now, something has probably gone wrong.

I think it's kinda a misnomer to call it an Archmage when its open to any caster, not just arcane. Something like True Mystic would be more appropriate.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Level 15+ is practically epic levels, anyways, so if you don't have a schtick by now, something has probably gone wrong.

I think it's kinda a misnomer to call it an Archmage when its open to any caster, not just arcane. Something like True Mystic would be more appropriate.
    Yeah but the loss of 9th level spells can suck at levels 20+. Every monkey and his uncle has wished for +5 to his main stat. Bypassing the xp cost isn't that hard anyway.

I'd personally put 2 caster level advancements in there. So that when the guy reaches 21 he can cast 9th level spells. But that's just me.
    Extended Hombrew Signature

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    Yeah but the loss of 9th level spells can suck at levels 20+. Every monkey and his uncle has wished for +5 to his main stat. Bypassing the xp cost isn't that hard anyway.

I'd personally put 2 caster level advancements in there. So that when the guy reaches 21 he can cast 9th level spells. But that's just me.
    2 CL is all a prepared caster needs to get 9s pre epic, they come online at CL 17. That only holds true for spontaneous casters, who get it at CL 18.

Also, nothing stops you from going back to your previous class or whatever to advance your casting in epic. You stop getting spells when your progression hits 20th, so a Wizard 17/True Archmage 5 has 9s at 22nd level, so I don't think that's actually a real problem.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!