New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Clandestine Operations playtest - "the Garrote"

It was raining heavily when you arrived in the village of Fair Hills. You left your horses in the stable and headed for the Fair Hills Inn, where you expected to find your target, Captain von Richter. You walked past an outhouse and a copse of trees as you approached the front door of the inn. You entered the inn, your clothes dripping with water. An attractive young woman greets you in the lobby with a practised smile.

"Welcome to the Fair Hills Inn. How can I be of service?" Looking at your wet clothes, she adds: "Do you need a room, perhaps?"

Spoiler
    Show

This is the IC thread for team 1: SamBurke, Vixsor Lumin and BarroomBard. You may start posting as soon as you're ready. Write any OOC (out-of-character) information in spoiler like this one here.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2011-12-13 at 03:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Clandestine Operations playtest - team 1

A fairly young man with middling length black hair smiles at her. "Hello miss" he said with a wink, "I don't know about my friends but id like to sit by the fire for awhile to dry off."

Spoiler
    Show
    I think we need to hash out a plan before we decide on a room
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyera, agreeing to the plan, waits outside the hotel for a few minutes, for everyone else to get situated. After staying as long as she can stand, she bursts in the door, carrying her supplies in her arms.

"Oh! Oh!" She pants, and collapses on a chair, looking for the count's men. "So... heavy... Could I get some help from some of you gentlemen?" She asks, as nicely as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling for Guile to get one of the off-duty bodyguards to help me: (1d20+5)[17]

Last edited by SamBurke; 2011-12-11 at 03:14 AM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

4. - Top - End - #4

"Very well," the woman replies. Pointing at the large room to her right, she says with a smile "Right over there. If you want to have dinner while you dry off, we have stew and pie, and a nice selection of drinks."

Spoiler
    Show

Is Jack carrying his bow?

EDIT: As you peek in and look around, you notice an Invictus soldier sitting at a table. Hearing the girl's request, he stands up and walks up to you. He's carrying a crossbow, wearing a brigandine armor with the usual black-and-red symbols of Invictus. He's also carrying a small dagger on his belt.

"I'll help," he says curtly.

There are also two commoners sitting around a table in the common room. There are currently no other customers you can see.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2011-12-11 at 03:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"Actually that sounds delicious, thank you" he says with a nod as he strides over to the fire.

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah he is its unstrung inside his quiver

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you, sir..." Alyera says, half-heartedly, handing over her tools and supplies. "Hold all these?" She sighs, and leans back, taking off her coat as slowly as she can. She smiles a little weakly, obviously very cold. "Thank you, sir..."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm shooting for... seduction? here. Another Guile roll, or the same one?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #7

Jack sits down and a waitress comes over, asking "What would you like to drink? We have ale, three kinds of wine, jaegerschnaps (that's hunter's shots). We're serving stew and pie tonight. Are you hungry?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, can I have a mug of ale and a bowl of stew?" Jack said as he sat at a table near the commoners but with a view of Aly and the soldiers. "So fellas, get any work done with the rain today?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Guile to seem friendly (1d20+6)[25]

9. - Top - End - #9

The soldier puts the shoulder strap of his crossbow on over his head and takes the tool kit. The tools clatter slightly and the soldier's eyes move swiftly back and forth from the tool kit to Alyeara. "Where do you want me to take your... equipment?"

Spoiler
    Show

You can use the same roll this time. You were successful, the soldier likes what he sees.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    how many soldiers are downstairs?

11. - Top - End - #11

"Yessir, ale and stew coming right away!" She heads back to the kitchen.

The two men turn to regard Jack and greet him. "Such bad weather.. to walk all the way here from Jarlsberg, ehh not our lucky day I guess? Me and Will over here are going to Ravenholm to the autumn fair. We'll be on the road again early in the morning. I hope it doesn't rain then... Anyway, what brings you here? Are you a hunter?"

Spoiler
    Show

There's just one soldier downstairs, he's talking to Aly. If he's one of the Captain's men, then the rest of them are probably upstairs.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"I just need to get a... room..." she bends slightly to sneeze, and the leans on him a bit to get up. "Sorry..." she smiles nervously and walks over to the counter to talk to the keep. "Could I have a room, please?"

Spoiler
    Show

I'm taking a random room, it doesn't matter where it is. Heh. Likes what he sees.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

13. - Top - End - #13

"A room for one. Very well. Here's the key. Oh and it's pretty dark up there." She puts a candle in a candle holder and lights it. "Here you go. It's the first door you can see when you walk up the stairs."

Aly and the soldier walk up the stairs. You hear a shout from the far end of the long corridor. "That you there, Ecker? You were supposed to wait downstairs!"

The soldier accompanying Aly replies: "Calm down Ruger! I'll be back down in a minute!"

Alyera can barely make out the figure of a man standing at the opposite end of the dark corridor (marked with R on the map below).

Spoiler
    Show

Your room is marked with an X.
    Code:
    .######-##-###-###-####.
    .#...#...=.#.....#..=.-.
    .#...#...#.=.....#..#.#.
    .-...#####.##########.#.
    .#...#...#.#..#..#..=.#.
    .#...#...#.#..#..#X.#.#.
    .#=###=###.##=##=####.#.
    .-R...................-.
    .###=###=#.###=##=#.#/#.
    .#...#...#.#...#..#.#/#.
    .-...#...#.#...#..#.#/#.
    .#########.########=###.
    .#.......#.=......#...#.
    .#.......#.#......#...#.
    .#.......=.#......#...#.
    .###-#####-###-#####-##.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2011-12-11 at 07:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"Jarlsburg eh? You have come much father than I have my friends." he waves the young girl over, can we have three hunters shots please? Yes I'm a hunter, and unfortunately all the animals have hidden from the storm tonight. So what did you think of those soldiers?"

15. - Top - End - #15

The girl brings Jack his stew and ale, runs back and brings a bottle of the "master hunter" liquor. He pours a shot for Jack and each of the two men, curtsies, and hurries back to the kitchen.

Delighted with Jack's generosity, the men say "To your health and hunting luck!"

They seem a bit reluctant to answer the question about soldiers. Avilonians know better than to voice any negative opinions about the Empire or its officials and soldiers in the public. One of the men just says "Well you know how people feel about them. I don't want any trouble, though. The one who was sitting over there just before you came here hasn't been bothering no-one, and no-one has been bothering him, and that's the way it should be. Why?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Old Man watches the plan unfold from a table in the corner. An untouched mug of mulled wine sits before him, and he stoops his shoulders to appear more old and frail.

When the girl leads the soldier upstairs, he smiles a bit despite himself. He waves the waitress over.

"Excuse me, my dear," he says, his voice wavering with exaggerated age. "I believe my granddaughter purchased a room. Would you do an old man a kindness, and tell me which it is? I fear I've stayed up far too late on such a dreary night."
    Last edited by BarroomBard; 2011-12-11 at 03:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Guile, I suppose? (1d20+4)[6]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you brothers" he said with a sincere smile "hopefully my hunting improves tonight." then all traces of mirth fall from his face. just checking to see if the sentiment is shared in this town as well. Does the fellow who went upstairs have any friends we should watch out for?" He looks over at Old man glad he had made himself known.

Spoiler
    Show
    do I need to re roll Gule? Or can I use the one from before still?

19. - Top - End - #19

The girl looks around, shrugs and replies "Well, we don't have many customers tonight, so I suppose I can." She walks over to the receptionist and returns shortly after. "Room number one. I hope you and your granddaughter enjoy your stay."

The man replies to Jack "I... I don't know what you are up to, and we want no part in it. There were three or four more soldiers here earlier this evening, one of them an officer." The other man nods. "Yep, the officer, him and two other soldiers."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

"You both seem like wonderful people and I would hate to have brought any misfortune upon you, I politely ask you to finish your drink and go home." He stood and walked to receptionist, "Thank you for your hospitality, but do you think I could trouble you long enough to get a room? Preferably one with a view." He smiled at her while discreetly checking his throwing knifes sheathed under his cloak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Legerdemain (1d20)[4]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you, sir..." Alyera curtseys, and giggles a little. "See you... soon? Bring a friend." She winks seductively, twisting her body a little.

Spoiler
    Show

'Nother guile check?

OK, we may need three rooms: one for me/the distracted soldiers, one for Grandpa, and one for Jack.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excuse me, sir?" Jack says as he motions to The Old Man "You look strikingly familiar, did you happen to live in Goldenheim a few years ago? I think you ran a shop!"

Spoiler
    Show
    there we go, two rooms and an excuse for you to be alone with the two guards while we "reminise"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you kindly, dear." The Old Man gets up and begins to limp toward the stairs, when Jack waves him over.

"Goldenheim? Oh, aye. I was a cooper - made the finest barrels in the empire, I did," Mattock starts, clapping Jack on the shoulder. He starts leading the youth to the stairwell. "Why, I remember one year, right around the harvest festival...." He trails off when they reach the stairs. The Old Man straightens then, and whispers to his partner. "Alyera has taken the soldier to room one. Let's be quick."

He finds room one, where Aly has "retired", and begins listening at the other doors, trying to find the one the Captain and his soldiers are in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Captain Richter still standing in the hall? If not, Awareness (1d20+5)[20]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Captain Richter still standing in the hall? If not, Awareness [roll0]
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasnt Richter it was a guard named Ruger

"Good, this is going much more smoothly than I thought it would, Grandfather" he whispered with a wink. He steps into a hall away from the guard and checks to make sure no one is looking

Spoiler
    Show
    Awareness [roll]1d20+4[/roll] if its clear he strings his bow
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2011-12-12 at 12:08 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grr Awareness (1d20+4)[10]

26. - Top - End - #26

The two men nod quietly, gather their belongings, pay for the dinner, and hastily leave the inn.

The young soldier, Ecker, gives a shy smile and says "Sure... later." He goes back downstairs and almost bumps into Jack and the Old Man on his way down.

Feeling the throwing knives under his cloak, Jack gets a lot of confused looks from the receptionist, but he manages to get a room with a nice view (room number three). She gives you a lit candle on a candle holder so you can find your room upstairs.

Ruger's still in the hall. You notice he's sitting on a chair, watching your every move, so it's impossible to check any of the eight rooms along the corridor without him noticing. He doesn't have any light source other than the scant moonlight coming through the window.

Code:
    .######-##-###-###-####.
    .#...#...=.#.....#..=.-.
    .#...#...#.=.....#..#.#.
    .-...#####.##########.#.
    .#...#...#.#..#..#1.=.#.
    .#...#...#.#..#..#..#.#.
    .#=###=###.##=##=####.#.
    .-R...................-.
    .###=###=#.###=##=#.#/#.
    .#...#...#.#...#..#.#/#.
    .-...#...#.#...#..#.#/#.
    .#########.########=###.
    .#.......#.=......#...#.
    .#.......#.#......#.3.#.
    .#.......=.#......#...#.
    .###-#####-###-#####-##.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack decides against stringing his bow in the open. He walks to his room and opens the door. "Come on Grandpa, we need to get you out of the cold and under some blankets." as he steps inside, and out of sight he finally strings his bow. At last I can be prepared and useful he thinks to himself, "Sorry about that Matty but I figured the less threatening you seem, the more surprising you'll be when you gut those pigs." he says with a laugh and a smirk. "Now how do you suppose we get in contact with our resident mechanic? Its my fault, I didn't expect a guard in the hall."

28. - Top - End - #28

Spoiler
    Show

There are no light sources in the upper floor other than what you're carrying, and you'll need a light source to move at normal speed. Only the squares directly in front of the windows are lit by moonlight. However, you can feel your way along a wall in the darkness if you don't want the guard to notice you're going to Aly's room. The Mobility TN to do so is only 5 if you move reeeeally slowly, and it's 15 if you try to move at normal speed. You also have to make a Stealth check, but since the guard isn't very near, the TN won't be very high.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2011-12-12 at 04:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the info and just out of curiosity, and not because I want to splinter cell my way around the outside if the inn but how visible is the inn from the road? Are there other buildings nearby?

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show

The stable is the nearest building, some 30 yards to the west from the edge of the map. That's where your horses are. The lights of the inn can be seen from the road at night, but it's quite impossible to spot someone sneaking around the inn from that distance.