New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Getting the most out of Fusion!

Fusion is a power from the Egoist list that allows you and another person to effectively become a gestalt character, but better. Your HP is the combined HP of the two (an improvement!) but everything else is just like gestalt.

The best trick I know of so far is to use Psychofeedback to raise your Con or Strength sky high, then use fusion to regain your normal set levels (or better) so that you have abusively high stats.

The other one I have been thinking about is using Leadership to get a melee cohort, which gives you melee stats when fused. Or get a Telepath Psion to cast Schism, getting you extra casting at a level equal to the cohorts on top of the combination.

What are the best tricks the playground knows for Fusion?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2011-12-17 at 02:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Getting the most out of Fusion!

I had the BBEGs use this, one was a thrallherd and the other was wiz/ur-priest/Mystic theurge, do when they fused they had access to just about every ability in the game.
    Not game-breaking but sorta neat.
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The XP cost is a bit of an issue, so any Fusion you do should last as long as possible. You should also keep in mind that two unfused characters have twice as many actions, and so are actually better, unless they're build right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't think 50 XP is really a problem at level 15. You might not want to use it constantly without some way to make is persisted/permanent, but such is life.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The XP cost is a bit of an issue, so any Fusion you do should last as long as possible. You should also keep in mind that two unfused characters have twice as many actions, and so are actually better, unless they're build right.
    Example of "built right": Wizard and Psion (psion extra actions fuels wizard abilities)
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Fusion is a power from the Egoist list that allows you and another person to effectively become a gestalt character, but better. Your HP is the combined HP of the two (an improvement!) but everything else is just like gestalt.
    Actually, you also combine feats and racial abilities - another improvement over gestalt.

The best trick I know of so far is to use Psychofeedback to raise your Con or Strength sky high, then use fusion to regain your normal set levels (or better) so that you have abusively high stats.
    You can also Body Fuel yourself for more ammunition in a pinch, and ignore the burned ability scores by using those of your partner. You'll both likely be in trouble when the Fusion ends though.

Another trick is merely to keep casting fusion. Why be a gestalt when you can be a tristalt? Get some sneak attack, vestiges, even maneuvers or incarnum into your build.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7

Cant cast fusion again while under the effects of fusion, it actually mentions it in the text, I think
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-17 at 09:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    Cant cast fusion again while under the effects of fusion, it actually mentions it in the text, I think
    No, it only says that you can't use Fission (and you wouldn't want to anyway.)

Fusion
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #9

Exclamation Re: Getting the most out of Fusion!

Why am I suddenly getting the mental image of someone using persist and abusing the hell out of this?

By your powers combined, I am Captain Make the DM Cry!
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-17 at 09:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Multime ultimate fusion

[Fusion+incantrix metamagic effect(persistent spell)]times X. Then simulacrums or Ice Assasins of fused self. Needs third party that isnt fused.

Fuse with a wujen and persist Body Outside Body. Be sure to have CL boosters and be fused with good warrior types(good as in skilled not the alignment). I like fusions to make Emerald Legionaires cheap. Wujen also gives you giant size so that you may fuse with any creature. Mindrape your Ice Assasin/Simulacrums. Be sure to pick up immunity to nonlethal, Regeneration, Poison Immunity(specifically Trollbane), Ability score immunity, Mind affecting immunity, death immunity, and super saves, and as many feats as you can.
    Use Psychic chirurgry on them to repick all their feats. Also movement modes.

This spell is reallyabuseable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I just had the mental image of a BBEG using this to nom up people with powers he wants, Sylar style. I might need to do that at some point...

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Salanmander View Post
    I just had the mental image of a BBEG using this to nom up people with powers he wants, Sylar style. I might need to do that at some point...
    but fusion also carries over the minds, would they be absorbed/destroyed, if they are wouldnt their cumulative personalities overwhelm his own(either causing him to stop or go completely mad)/how would he know how to use his newfound powers. If he suppresses them could they form a gestalt and overtake his personality long enough to temporarily weaken him so the PCs can defeat him (ala savage tide adventure arc)
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

13. - Top - End - #13

Why am I suddenly getting the mental image of someone using persist and abusing the hell out of this?

By your powers combined, I am Captain Make the DM Cry!
    Psionics doesn't have Persist.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But it is minutes a day, and easily extended. 40 minutes is plenty IMO.

15. - Top - End - #15

Not without Hyperconscious anyway

(Or if using pure WotC - you could abuse a PP recharge trick of some kind, and keep it going with multiple Temporal Reiterations.)

but fusion also carries over the minds, would they be absorbed/destroyed, if they are wouldnt their cumulative personalities overwhelm his own(either causing him to stop or go completely mad)/how would he know how to use his newfound powers. If he suppresses them could they form a gestalt and overtake his personality long enough to temporarily weaken him so the PCs can defeat him (ala savage tide adventure arc)
    The manifester has control by default. This reads to me that he would have access to their knowledge (which he'd need to use their powers), but the component minds would have no ability to override his wishes.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Also it has to be a willing person. The cool part would be using it with Psychofeedback over and over again to get all of your physical stats into the 30s.

Also, Fusion with a Telepath could get you Schism and combine it with Metamorphosis (form of a Choker) to get 3 standard actions a turn.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

This multifusing is reminding me of Paul Muad'dib from Dune for some reason.

EDIT: Fusion with an Ettin gets you two heads. No RAW benefit, but you might be able to convince your DM that it gives you extra casting actions.
    Last edited by Anxe; 2011-12-17 at 06:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    EDIT: Fusion with an Ettin gets you two heads. No RAW benefit, but you might be able to convince your DM that it gives you extra casting actions.
    It does - there's a feat in Savage Species that lets multi-headed characters cast extra spells.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #19

Also it has to be a willing person.
    Sylar knocks out his victims anyway, so it's still accurate in that respect.

Also, Fusion with a Telepath could get you Schism and combine it with Metamorphosis (form of a Choker) to get 3 standard actions a turn.
    Not to mention Twinned/Quickened Synchronicity, Temporal Acceleration etc.

One thing you won't be short on are PP, so you may as well translate it into as many actions as possible.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20

Actually it does, its just not in the XPH

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    This multifusing is reminding me of Paul Muad'dib from Dune for some reason.

It's making me think more of Alpha and Echo from Dollhouse, actually.

On the Ettin, don't they get some ability based on their two-headedness? You should get that as well.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.