New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5 only] 20th level wizard build with 15th level wizard casting?

For a relatively brief game I'm in, I'd like to play a wizard (Or Wu Jen) who has a prestige class or multiclass which results in him losing five levels of spellcasting throughout. This will indeed make said character noticably weaker than wizard 20, and I am aware of that.

I thus figured I'd ask the boards, though - what are some really cool prestige classes that are normally held back by losing way too many caster levels, but in this case are ideal for the aimed power level?

(I do plan on taking practiced spellcaster regardless; the goal is primarily 'barely gets 8th level spells'. Losing more than 5 may be acceptable depending on the neatness).

The character will be good, which may limit things a bit. I'd prefer not to go mix it up in melee nor summon things. I can end up as a theurge of some sort, but the more wizardry the better. Character will be made at level 20, so it doesn't matter when the five level drops happen. If game does go epic, it will not utilize epic spellcasting (But I wouldn't count on it going epic).

I was looking at Wizard 15 / Master of the Unseen Hand 5, but am feeling a bit meh about it due primarily to already wanting to use MotUH on a couple other builds, so let's see what the boards suggest ^_^
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2011-12-13 at 07:53 PM.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: 20th level wizard build with 15th level wizard casting?

Arcane Archer? fighter levels + Eldritch Knight? um... there are several more Im sure, all I can think of right now for some reason though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 20th level wizard build with 15th level wizard casting?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_Ruadrik View Post
    Arcane Archer? fighter levels + Eldritch Knight? um... there are several more Im sure, all I can think of right now for some reason though.
    Hm, let me specifiy in the opening topic that this is 3.5 exclusive, not pathfinder (as I believe pathfinder's AA allows progressing casting, while 3.5's does not). Being ten levels of casting down is five more than I'm willing to go for. :P

Whereas Eldritch Knight is too physical for what I'm aiming for. Thank you, though!

Edit: What the? The topic kept refreshing amidst my typing - and only allowing part of it to go through. O_o
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2011-12-13 at 07:54 PM.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 only] 20th level wizard build with 15th level wizard casting?

I vote wizard10/mindbender 10. I've never seen mindbender taken all the way yet.
    Originally posted by DuncanIdaho488 "Tomb of Horrors drinking game? BRILLIANT!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some good examples of Mindbender in the Iron Chef competition going on right now. However you specified that you'd like to be good, and mindbenders can't be. If your DM would drop the alignment prerequisites then it might be usable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh right, forgot the alignment requirements. Well if you really want to sacrifice your power for flavor try looking up the lightening warrior.
    Originally posted by DuncanIdaho488 "Tomb of Horrors drinking game? BRILLIANT!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

1/2 casting PrCs that might interest you:
    -Acolyte of the Skin (Wear demons! Still has alignment issues)
    -Green Star Adept (lol...become a construct and have really lame fluff)
    -Master Transmogrifist (Turn into stuff! Technically 6/10)
    -Mindbender (already mentioned)
    -Spellsword (Gish?)
    -Dragonslayer (Ditto)

Others that seem cool but lose casting levels:
    -Effigy Master (Crush them my robot minions!)
    -Blood Magus (Nice fluff, not actually good, but...chug, chug, chug!)
    -Argent Savant ([Force] spells are good)
    -Jade Phoenix Mage (If you don't mind losing caster levels, you can even take all 10 levels of it)

I'm sure there's more...

*edit* Ooh, Swiftblade.
    Last edited by A_S; 2011-12-13 at 08:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

What about Rainbow Servant, going by table rather than text?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Forget finding bad-but-good prestige classes. Start looking at a dip into something else that's useful, like ToB, MoI, Binder, or similar. Swordsage, if you can turn the AC bonus to Int, makes for a fairly strong dip, providing you with quite a few options, some of which won't even feel martial(MotPM for instance).
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

wink Re: 20th level wizard build with 15th level wizard casting?

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    Hm, let me specifiy in the opening topic that this is 3.5 exclusive, not pathfinder (as I believe pathfinder's AA allows progressing casting, while 3.5's does not). Being ten levels of casting down is five more than I'm willing to go for. :P

Whereas Eldritch Knight is too physical for what I'm aiming for. Thank you, though!

Edit: What the? The topic kept refreshing amidst my typing - and only allowing part of it to go through. O_o
    you dont need to take all 10 levels of arcane archer.. you could just take... 5?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

5 levels of duskblade? *is shot*

5 levels of Archmage?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RAGE MAGE!!!! I've always wanted to play one, even though they suck.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Five levels of Truenamer. ... What? It's wizard-like in flavor.

EDIT: Somewhat more seriously, take five levels of a divine casting class and then 10 of Geomancer. It's flavorful with some interesting special abilities, and it's not something that normally gets played.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2011-12-14 at 01:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Wizard5/swiftblade10/fatespinner5 loses 5 caster levels. Wizard5/swiftblade9/spellsword5/mindbender1 is also a possibility.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

How about Wizard 5/Archivist 5/Dweomerkeeper 10(progressing Wizard? ) Assuming that your DM uses Supernatural Spell RAW, that is. Archivist still feels pretty "wizardy," and the flavor of a scholarly researcher of divine and arcane magic becoming a Dweomerkeeper fits quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    This is the first thing that came to mind.

Ultimate Magus might also interest you. Without relying on Practiced Spellcaster, you will be losing at least 4 levels of wizard (one for the multiclass, three throughout the prestige class) and possibly more if you focus more on the spontaneous class. On the other hand, it can be quite fun, especially with the more situational metamagic you wouldn't always use. Silent Spell, Still Spell, Invisible Spell, and Disguise Spell for Wizard/Bard/UM are my favorites.

You might also try dipping into a non-caster class. A few levels of Shadowdancer would probably be pretty interesting with an Illusionist variant that grants you hide as a class skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Fleshwarper is troublesome to qualify for without multiclassing (since it requires both a familiar as a class feature and a prerequisite feat that needs 10 ranks in Heal). If you don't care about losing the caster levels, Cleric 4/Wizard 6/Fleshwarper 10 gets you there, and then you can staple freaky grafts to yourself to your heart's content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

True Necromancer (LM) immediately leapt to mind, but that has alignment issues.

Luckstealer (RotW) is a very cool class with 7/10 casting. I'm sure you can find some way of losing 2 caster levels . . . perhaps a couple levels of Fortune's Friend (CS)? It fits thematically, at least.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19

Warblade 1/ Wizard 5/ SwiftBlade 10/ Abjurant Champion 4

Def my pick if I had to lose 5 CL. I know you said gish isn't what your going for but here you have a wizard who can throw up a +9 shield as a swift action, an undisspellable haste as a free action which grants a load of extra bonuses including two standard actions a round.

You can cast a Dispel magic as a swift action each round and use higher level spell slots to get the benefit of a time stop effect which you would normally miss out on due to not having 9ths.

The few of manuevers and a stance to give some added "This is to easy, imma just gonna beat you with my sword" is icing on the cake.

Switching Ab Champ with Jade Pheonix is also an option but I have no actual experience with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    What about Rainbow Servant, going by table rather than text?
    Seconded, highly so.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Wizard 7/void disciple 13. You lose 5 caster levels and gain a few neat special abilities. The most efficient losing caster level builds are gishes, though.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The classes that lose caster levels but have worthy class features typically don't lose that many caster levels.

Incantatrix, Shadowcraft Mage, Dweomerkeeper, and Planar Shepherd are some of the best PrCs for casters. All have full casting progression. Only Dweomerkeeper might require losing 1 caster level for a pure arcanist, and Planar Shepherd is normally off-limits to a full Wizard, anyway.

If you plan to be a "Wizard" 15/whatever5, then make the whatever5 count. Most likely, you're a gish. Maybe you capitalize on X Stat to Y Bonus.

What do you most want from your 5 levels of whatever, and your 15 "Wizard" levels? Why not get L9 spells?
    Last edited by Endarire; 2011-12-14 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane archer would be good for a 2 level imbue arrow dip on a caster. Tricks include anti-magic field arrows and repulsion arrows, I forget what else.

Force missile mage isn't too shabby for good magic missiles, and only 1 caster level lost.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is always Theurging/Cerebramancing could lose you the 5 levels and getting magic stuff in exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

25. - Top - End - #25
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Wizard 7/void disciple 13. You lose 5 caster levels and gain a few neat special abilities. The most efficient losing caster level builds are gishes, though.
    I second this. You still play like a Wizard, but you've got a few special tricks up your sleeve that cost you (lost caster levels).
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Spamalot in the Playground

Thirding Void Disciple, it's often cited as being almost worth it despite losing as many CL as it does.

You could try Rage Mage or Green Star Adept for the heck of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to Rainbow Servant and Void Disciple, Visionary Seeker from Planar Handbook makes for a cool divination-focused wizard, with solid benefits that normally aren't good enough for the lost caster levels.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

28. - Top - End - #28

Take Force Missile Mage (Dragon Compendium) and Argent Savant, possibly with Warmage/UM tacked on at the end (or middle) depending on what level you start. Edge is nice for the build.

Focused Specialist Evoker 3/Master Specialist 2/Force Missile Mage 5/Argent Savant 5/Warmage 1/Ultimate Magus 4 etc.

I think that loses 5 caster levels if I recall the classes correctly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Another vote for Master Transmogrifist. Polymorph based wizards rarely take it due to 6/10 spellcasting progression, which makes them totally failing on their primary job (polymorph). But if you are willing to give up some level, you are fine.

Maybe:

Wizard 3, Totemist 2, Soulcaster 6, MT 9
    (15 spellcasting levels - MT 10 might be better, but only 14 SL).

or

Wizard 4, Monk 1, MT 10, Wizard 5 (with Kung fu Genius)
    "Statement: The path of tolerance and compassion is self-destructive, master." - HK-47

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

On the truenamer topic...Fiendbinder. Taking it 10/10 will lose you 3 CL, so you'll have to lose two more elsewhere, but it does give you some fun stuff for minions, and it goes quite well with straight wizard.

Additionally, Fatespinner 5. Goes well with the above, or with most everything else. Loses 1 CL.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2011-12-16 at 09:21 AM.