New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins VIII: This Thread Contains An Unexpected Variable

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I have never, ever, in my entire life seen someone take off multiple weeks in order to move. Maybe a day. Maybe. If I were your boss and you told me you needed multiple weeks off of work in order to move, I would laugh in your face.
    This doens't absolutely diminish the fact that to pack your things, unpackagin them and place it in your new house, requires a lot of free time, and it's not a thing that can be succesfully done in a couple of hours.
    You need to spend your evenings and your weekends, during the course of some weeks.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-03-29 at 05:06 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Ok... I'm a graphic designer, not exactly a comic artist. I'm not even that great at drawing but I do know how to use the software to ink and shade and layout, etc... and I've taken several drawing classes and have a good idea how that works too so I think I can make a good guess how long it should take.

For a page like the most recent "real" update (as opposed to the stick figure filler) I would estimate it accordingly:

Drawing/Sketching: 10+ hours. (I'm including layout planning for speech and such in this)

Inking: 6 hours (at least)

Coloring/Shading: 10 hours.

I think 40 hours is a bit much, but I wouldn't bat an eye at 30 (my estimates add up to 26 but could easily give or take a bit). Even 30 per comic means 60 hours a week... can't call that being lazy. And that's not even including story planning/story-boarding, that's just actual production time.

People just don't appreciate how much work goes into all the artwork they see every day.
    Last edited by Shivore; 2012-03-29 at 07:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shivore View Post
    snip
    Yuuuup! That's pretty much on point.
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

4. - Top - End - #874
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go to work tomorrow and spend all day on one minor, trivial task. Ignore the rest of your responsibilities for the day, but make sure that one task is absolutely "perfect". Then ask your boss what he thinks about your work.
    One of the more disgusting ideas to grow out of modern culture is the notion that one's boss is a better judge of one's work ethic than one's own self.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea and i have to laugh every single time someone decides that defending someone they respect from inane and misplaced criticism means I'm a hopeless fanboy about to bust out the torches and pitchforks then start busting the castle doors down.
    Except all that I actually said was that it's a poor repayment to the people who donated in order to help him get the house to miss updates as a result. I'm not the one who brought up work ethic or anything else. I was responding to other's points. Also, I didn't accuse you of any such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ialdabaoth View Post
    One of the more disgusting ideas to grow out of modern culture is the notion that one's boss is a better judge of one's work ethic than one's own self.
    That...that isn't a modern thing. Like, at all. It's as old as work itself.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    ... You mean, like every other artist that takes him/herself even remotely seriously?
    If by "artist" you mean "person who does something."
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

Except all that I actually said was that it's a poor repayment to the people who donated in order to help him get the house to miss updates as a result. I'm not the one who brought up work ethic or anything else. I was responding to other's points. Also, I didn't accuse you of any such thing.

That...that isn't a modern thing. Like, at all. It's as old as work itself.
    As someone who donated i don't call it poor repayment. I call it exactly what i paid for.

And i agree with the boss thing, that's how it works. Your boss IS a better judge of your work ethic than you are.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, that is exactly what you accused us of, actually. Also, you are the one who brought it up.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Can we please avoid the expression «work ethics»? It reeks of religion and was at a time used to justify some sense of moral superiority of a group of people. It makes my teeth cringe whenever I hear it.

If Thunt can get a decent living from his work then he is doing the amount of work he needs.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    Can we please avoid the expression «work ethics»? It reeks of religion and was at a time used to justify some sense of moral superiority of a group of people. It makes my teeth cringe whenever I hear it.

If Thunt can get a decent living from his work then he is doing the amount of work he needs.
    How in the world does "work ethic" have anything to do with religion? Work ethic is your willingness to keep doing work and not slack off and your determination that it be done with quality. And, yeah, there tends to be a certain ethical superiority to those who have a stronger work ethic.

I don't think anyone can say Thunt has a poor work ethic. He's dedicated to producing quality work and it doesn't look like he's going to quit easily. I think what most people are saying is that he might not be very efficient. That's an entirely separate issue.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    As someone who donated i don't call it poor repayment. I call it exactly what i paid for.

And i agree with the boss thing, that's how it works. Your boss IS a better judge of your work ethic than you are.
    Wait, what? The donation deal was that he was given money, and then he would give comics of Tempts doing crazy stuff. He had a timeline, which he has utterly and completely failed to meet. How is that "exactly what you paid for"? If it was a donation, then that's fine, but then you didn't pay for anything. So yeah... are you sure you want to say that you donated for the purpose of Thunt having to miss updates due to moving?

Missing updates on the general comic is a red herring anyway. It's something you just have to suck up. He has to move, and moving takes time and effort. And since he spends so much time on the comics, he's forced to cut into comic-making time. The discussion itself is pointless.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Wait, what? The donation deal was that he was given money, and then he would give comics of Tempts doing crazy stuff. He had a timeline, which he has utterly and completely failed to meet. How is that "exactly what you paid for"? If it was a donation, then that's fine, but then you didn't pay for anything. So yeah... are you sure you want to say that you donated for the purpose of Thunt having to miss updates due to moving
    Dude exactly what i paid for is an expression. You see i donated cuss i wanted Thunt to have a home, and for him and his family to feel secure. Along the way he lost the house he was in, and the need to move arose. Anyone who heard he was moving should have known he would lose time and miss and update or two along the way. He is getting a home, and he and his family do now feel more secure. That's what i sent the money for and that's what i got.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2012-03-29 at 07:35 PM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Wait, what? The donation deal was that he was given money, and then he would give comics of Tempts doing crazy stuff. He had a timeline, which he has utterly and completely failed to meet.
    The timeline that gets posted to go along with a Tempts Fate drive indicates when the monetary goals must be met in order for Tempts to succeed/survive. They have no bearing on when the Tempts updates will be posted and they never have. Yeah, the updates have been a looooong time coming, but they're not actually late

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

Exactly. He never stated a timeline. He has not missed any due dates for Tempts Fate because he never set them.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Banned

I'm bowing out of this discussion. It has the potential to get ugly.

Aaaanyway. Interesting update, I guess.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder what will Kin do after she call his "Rumpelstiltskin" name.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #887
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I wonder what will Kin do after she call his "Rumpelstiltskin" name.
    Itll switch back to dies horribly. For another 6 months.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Not getting the last panel with K'seliss and the egg. Is it female anatomy based?

19. - Top - End - #889
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Not getting the last panel with K'seliss and the egg. Is it female anatomy based?
    It's male anatomy based. Can't really explain here due to forum rules.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    No, it is most definitely male anatomy based.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #891
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

...huh. I thought it was the way K'seliss's fingernail apparently bends up when he's touching the ribbon, totally didn't see that....mistake.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    ...huh. I thought it was the way K'seliss's fingernail apparently bends up when he's touching the ribbon, totally didn't see that....mistake.
    Really, how would the "well placed" word baloon have affected his fingernail?

Also, what has been seen cannot be unseen.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

23. - Top - End - #893
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Really, how would the "well placed" word baloon have affected his fingernail?

Also, what has been seen cannot be unseen.
    I thought the word balloon had also been moved to...i dunno, cover the mistake while he fixed it?

Don't judge me!

24. - Top - End - #894
    Barbarian in the Playground

At first I thought it really wasn't that obvious too, but you need to imagine it coloured. The ribbon at the top is spot on, really.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

I really can't see what everyone else is talking about, but I can see something female anatomy based about what lizard man is doing.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

26. - Top - End - #896
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I really can't see what everyone else is talking about, but I can see something female anatomy based about what lizard man is doing.
    Note the section that's filled with red in the color version of the panel, including the part covered by Saves' word balloon and on the other side of that word balloon. Now look at that same section in the black and white panel, ignore K'seliss' hand, and "complete" the outline by flipping the top portion over the long diagonal center line of the whole section.

If you can't see it after that, you clearly have a far less dirty mind than most.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I guess one could see Kselliss touching a giant pregnant woman's round belly, but no, if you add in the coloring...

Well, here's a mushroom. It might help you see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

28. - Top - End - #898
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly cant see anything that looks like that mushroom in the picture, and it wasnt before comming here that i were even aware off that i should be looking for a mushroom.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #899
    Orc in the Playground

The only thing wrong there is his fingernail. Who would really see a penis there? Especially after being colored?
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

30. - Top - End - #900

Ok, when you LITERALLY have to turn your head sideways and squint to see it...
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.