New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question Immortals handbook

I recently heard that this is a better version of the deities and demigods sourcebook, however when I read it I found several bits very confusing, namely;
    • Templates(are they automatically assumed to have been applied to the outsiders of certain HD, or are you supposed to add them to outsiders of certain HD)
    • Quintessence(how exactly do you gain quintessence from your inherent power/killin' stuff/having worshippers)
    • How do you get worshippers?

I'm going to have one of the powerful outsiders in my campaign ascend to deity status and this seems like the better system for doing so.

P.S if they had had a cohort that had bound her soul to her centuries ago when she was just a low-epic outsider and underwent several spells/rituals to merge their mind and souls more completely and at the time of ascension she's CR25+ what happens when the deity ascends?
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Immortals handbook

That book is a joke. Really, it kind of is. I believe Glyphstone had a great quote on it, but I can't find it.

3. - Top - End - #3

I know the higher level stuff is borked, but the whole thing?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    That book is a joke. Really, it kind of is. I believe Glyphstone had a great quote on it, but I can't find it.
    Something about monkeys and typewriters.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    I know the higher level stuff is borked, but the whole thing?
    Yup. Look, at the kind of scales it deals with, the game has gone beyond broken and reached an insane mess with no logic, reason, or consistency, and only brings confusion, despair and pain to those who try to use it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

And yet the Neutronium Golem can be defeated by a 20th level spellcaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    Something about monkeys and typewriters.
    Ah, yes. I believe it was along these lines:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The Immortals Handbook is not rules. It is the result of putting boxing gloves on an epileptic monkey and letting it pound on a number pad for a few hours, then editing the typos and adding names to stuff.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-12-16 at 11:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Exactly. No logic, consistency or reason.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm scared to ask how... But i know it features an ass load of no SR spells that cannot be stopped or using a Solar army or something that no DM in there right mind would allow... but How do you kill a Neutronium Golem?
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the only thing I would ever use that book for is to hold the threat of a demilich becoming an Akalich up there as a neat plot hook.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    I'm scared to ask how... But i know it features an ass load of no SR spells that cannot be stopped or using a Solar army or something that no DM in there right mind would allow... but How do you kill a Neutronium Golem?
    i find it ironic that you asked this in the topic called "immortals handbook"m because the this same question is in an archived topic from this same forum called the Immortal's Handbook...available at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-122986.html

the answer is at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-159082.html
    Last edited by Soren Hero; 2011-12-17 at 12:00 AM.
    Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    ...you're saying that if I go to heaven, I will find alcoholic bears waiting for me?

HELL! I CHOOSE HELL!

[GENERATION 16: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. This is a social experiment.]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

My presence in this thread is already redundant.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Soren Hero View Post
    i find it ironic that you asked this in the topic called "immortals handbook"m because the this same question is in an archived topic from this same forum called the Immortal's Handbook...available at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-122986.html

the answer is at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi...?t-159082.html
    Omg... you kill it with a spell-within a spell... SPELLCEPTION! coming to a theater near you

I like that trick... is there anything else that can whip the floor with these so called "Broken Abominations"?
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

14. - Top - End - #14

Kobold

God, has anyone come up with a compilation of the best infinite damage loops?

15. - Top - End - #15

frown Re: Immortals handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Yup. Look, at the kind of scales it deals with, the game has gone beyond broken and reached an insane mess with no logic, reason, or consistency, and only brings confusion, despair and pain to those who try to use it.
    Bugger. I wanted to make my outsider a deity but the deities and demigods approach did virtually nothing and made my head hurt.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Bugger. I wanted to make my outsider a deity but the deities and demigods approach did virtually nothing and made my head hurt.
    Frankly the best way to make deities is to not bother with ranks or anything. At least no ranks above 1 and leave out alter reality. Just use a bunch of class levels and call them gods. It's what I've been doing for my epic game. Elder evils and rank 0 work fine without unbalancing anything or inducing headaches, use that for lesser gods and mythical bringers of ragnarok. Rank 1 is for greater gods, ban alter reality and go to town, crank out some flavorful unique SDAs. Many things are just a leap of fluff rather than crunch, try not to fuse them completely and you'll be fine.

The deities and demigods approach will net you:
    Rank 0-
    Huge AC boost
    Tons of Immunities
    Immortality

Rank 1-
    More Immunities
    A lump of SLAs
    SDA
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

17. - Top - End - #17

Yeah, but the only problem was that she had most of the divine immunities anyway as well as being immortal, I was mainly planning on using the immortals handbook to help make her growing church.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, but the only problem was that she had most of the divine immunities anyway as well as being immortal, I was mainly planning on using the immortals handbook to help make her growing church.
    How were you going to pull it off? I am willing to bet it can be done without that horrible book.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

For a minute, I thought this thread was going to be about that awful disappointing movie...

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    How were you going to pull it off? I am willing to bet it can be done without that horrible book.
    Are you asking how was she going to ascend or how was I going to change her stat blocks for the deityhood?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    For a minute, I thought this thread was going to be about that awful disappointing movie...
    Nope, just an awful disappointing implementation of a nice idea.

Some of the fluff in Ascension was good. The basis in various theology was cool. Some of the monsters were pretty cool. An astral serpent with pandimensional reach? Living wormholes? That was pretty much the highlight of the book.

But the mechanics... dear lord. Many 0s does not a game make. And who is honestly going to play a game till level 200,000? Everything could have been done on a 20-40 level scale and would have worked just fine.

Not just the scale, but the grasp of the rules... give a CR 120 monster CL 240 casting! Give a CR 45 monster no casting! Yuck.
    Are you asking how was she going to ascend or how was I going to change her stat blocks for the deityhood?
    Both really. Enough templating and class abilities and rank is redundant.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2011-12-17 at 03:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Basically shes a advanced templated succubus with lvs in fiend of possession and fiend of corruption who became the demon lord of a plane, but through a series of events too long for me to write out eventually became redeemed to CN, and set up shop as a sort of near-deity regarding the portfolio of freedom,chaos and experiences(pleasure,pain,etc). Her cult(freed slaves,revolutionaries and hedonists) combined with herabsorbing several other being was going to make her a demi to lesser deity.

I didn't actually know how I was going to change her stat blocks to reflect this, which is why I was looking at the immortals handbook.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Basically shes a advanced templated succubus with lvs in fiend of possession and fiend of corruption who became the demon lord of a plane, but through a series of events too long for me to write out eventually became redeemed to CN, and set up shop as a sort of near-deity regarding the portfolio of freedom,chaos and experiences(pleasure,pain,etc). Her cult(freed slaves,revolutionaries and hedonists) combined with herabsorbing several other being was going to make her a demi to lesser deity.

I didn't actually know how I was going to change her stat blocks to reflect this, which is why I was looking at the immortals handbook.
    Really she just fulfills a role, she does not need rank to do that. The stat changes are entirely metagame and have no bearing on "divinity" an in game construct. Divinity however has major connotations and expectations.

1: Power- You can traverse space, possibly time and alter reality
    2: Control over a dimense
    3: Worshipers (depending on what divinity means in your setting)
    4: A sense of inevitability- this is all description, but a touch of invulnerability (permanent emanation AMF, schism manifesting timeless body) can help a bit

Her innate abilities do most of it already. She a PC or NPC? Ardents are a great class to imitate portfolios with and would be a non associated class so only +1 CR per 2 levels, practiced manifester pumps that fast. They can traverse time and space and grab reality revision. Stick on supernatural transformation and she can spam alter reality. Give her a demiplane. Psionic Genesis, done. Needs followers? Leadership, grab a bunch of mini clerics to spread the word. The rest is all world description.

If you are really hung up on rank, give her rank 0. It gives all the other immunities and a huge AC boost. But divinity really comes down to showing the players what she is rather than her stat sheet.

In my game Susano-O-Mikoto is just an energy mantle dominant ideal ardent. Izanami is just a reflavored solar with a darker spell selection and better feats. Nidhogg is an advanced linnorm with rank 0 and elder evil traits for the immunities. But the players do not know. They just hear a description and say "we're in deep, aint we?" and after the session they can see the sheets if they have to.

TL;DR, tell players "this is a god", it's powerful enough that rank is redundant and give the players the ability to feel epic if they trash it anyway.

24. - Top - End - #24

Shes a DMPC, usually just existed to run ridiculous plots in the background, until she got redeemed.

Dont actually use non-associated class mechanic, purely because overtly vague and easily abused(see stone giant wizard).

Ok she's got a plane(nicked it off adimarchus),she strong enough to be unbeatable for a CR20 party(campaigns usually end there for the group, just because epic gets...difficult to manage)

Shes got several loose cults worshipping her(she freed some slaves, helped some revolutionaries and as a succubus she has hedonists hanging off her)

So possibly adding DR0 and/or some more cool abilities(already has immunity to mind-effects and divinations as well as the possession/corruption class level stuff)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Shes a DMPC, usually just existed to run ridiculous plots in the background, until she got redeemed.

Ok she's got a plane(nicked it off adimarchus),she strong enough to be unbeatable for a CR20 party(campaigns usually end there for the group, just because epic gets...difficult to manage)
    Eh, never underestimate a lvl 20 party. My parties are finding ways to break continents by level 15. Unless she has fullcasting (or is possessing someone who does), any confrontation is a recipe for roflstomp.

DMPC? As in you have a character who regularly interacts with the party and takes a role alongside them...but is infinitely stronger? Because that's never a good idea. If she's off scene then she is an NPC.

Otherwise she already fulfills the role and needs no fancy rank or anything. Either she needs stats because she will be an enemy, in which case omnipotence is bad, or she needs stats to be a team member, in which case omnipotence is worse, or she will not interact in any way that needs stats and don't bother wasting time with them.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    Eh, never underestimate a lvl 20 party. My parties are finding ways to break continents by level 15. Unless she has fullcasting (or is possessing someone who does), any confrontation is a recipe for roflstomp.

DMPC? As in you have a character who regularly interacts with the party and takes a role alongside them...but is infinitely stronger? Because that's never a good idea. If she's off scene then she is an NPC.

Otherwise she already fulfills the role and needs no fancy rank or anything. Either she needs stats because she will be an enemy, in which case omnipotence is bad, or she needs stats to be a team member, in which case omnipotence is worse, or she will not interact in any way that needs stats and don't bother wasting time with them.

With them,against them whatever furthers her own goals, almost always through intermediaries and forcing them to jump through hoops to get her to give them the slightest bit of help if she doesn't feel like it. I meant DMPC as shes built like a PC(sensible equipment/build and all) but I'm the one using her.

She already proven she can take on a lv20 party easily, after the last adventuring group got destroyed in about 3 rounds, and most of that was because she was holding back.

In all seriousness though she can basically do all that I just wanted to know as there will always ALWAYS be someone who attacks or an uber-enemy and It just makes it easier if I have stats for her(in my campaign the gods are basically just really powerful beings, not the anthromorphic personifications of the fundamental forces underlying reality itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

With them,against them whatever furthers her own goals, almost always through intermediaries and forcing them to jump through hoops to get her to give them the slightest bit of help if she doesn't feel like it. I meant DMPC as shes built like a PC(sensible equipment/build and all) but I'm the one using her.

She already proven she can take on a lv20 party easily, after the last adventuring group got destroyed in about 3 rounds, and most of that was because she was holding back.

In all seriousness though she can basically do all that I just wanted to know as there will always ALWAYS be someone who attacks or an uber-enemy and It just makes it easier if I have stats for her(in my campaign the gods are basically just really powerful beings, not the anthromorphic personifications of the fundamental forces underlying reality itself.
    She is already that, meaning she's finished as is. She fulfills the role of a god as defined by your setting. Both deities and demigods and immortals handbook just makes things miserable when added.

I am interested in knowing what her build and levels are and what the party composition is. Succubi have never been serious threats in my games.

28. - Top - End - #28

She uses some third-party material; but is basically a redeemed demon lord vecna-blooded war aspect advanced succubus fiend of possession6/fiend of corruption6. with epic leadership and some of the summon enhancing feats.

yeah...she was originally just low20s,but she just kept evolving over the course of the campaign, it's slightly ridiculous.

Shes very fond of using her posession ability to take control of someone when theyre asleep(she NEVER fights fair EVER) then summoning balors into the camp, then playing along for a couple of rounds while she sets up a backstab with her SLAs, even if they kill the body shes inhabiting, she emerges completely unharmed,against a depleted party, whom she then tries to possess again.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

She uses some third-party material; but is basically a redeemed demon lord vecna-blooded war aspect advanced succubus fiend of possession6/fiend of corruption6. with epic leadership and some of the summon enhancing feats.

yeah...she was originally just low20s,but she just kept evolving over the course of the campaign, it's slightly ridiculous.

Shes very fond of using her posession ability to take control of someone when theyre asleep(she NEVER fights fair EVER) then summoning balors into the camp, then playing along for a couple of rounds while she sets up a backstab with her SLAs, even if they kill the body shes inhabiting, she emerges completely unharmed,against a depleted party, whom she then tries to possess again.

Demon Lord? Is that from Frank and Ks Tome stuff? The one that ends up with free wishes? But yeah, epic leadership is nasty, I can see her taking out a ECL 20 party with mega minions. Hmmmmm, I do want to suggest swapping demon levels out for Ur-Priest so she can draw divine spells from herself. Most "I am a God!" types run that way.

30. - Top - End - #30

Actually the dragon magazine one, the one that gives like 20 at will SLAs,epic DR,SR30+ and an average of +4 to all stats.

Her minion is a half-fiend grey elf wizard/ur-priest/mystic theurge/archmage(only has 20lvs), who also serves as her lover

I like the ur-priest idea, I might gestalt her with some ur-priest lvs

The war aspect and vecna-blooded are from when she was one of vecna's generals(black ops sort of stuff), however she left his service shortly after becoming a demon lord, almost died at the hands an alaex leading high level lich wizards and demon rogues riding chauchmers after her.
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2011-12-17 at 08:12 AM.