New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How are you spending YOUR Forever Day?

Linky

I'm a big fan of Alex Day, a British musician/Youtuber who is trying to storm the charts Christmas week by getting all of his fans to purchase his single on the same day/week. So far he's up to #4 on the British charts, which is awesome. I figured I'd spread a little love here, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: How are you spending YOUR Forever Day?

Man, the Christmas Charts are always so silly.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It still baffles me how anyone still cares about the Christmas number one spot, given its status as a dumping ground for novelty gimmik singles and talent show contestents. Even compared to how meaningless charts are normally it's still pointless.
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2011-12-18 at 02:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The Christmas number 1 isn't a big deal in the US, so I don't have much opinion on it anyway, but I will say that I support Alex in his goal far more than I supported RATM when they did it a few years ago, as Alex is an independent artist.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    The Christmas number 1 isn't a big deal in the US, so I don't have much opinion on it anyway, but I will say that I support Alex in his goal far more than I supported RATM when they did it a few years ago, as Alex is an independent artist.
    RATM weren't actually behind that particular attempt at chart-jacking. Their song just happened to get picked by a couple of fans as part of a facebook a chart-jacking campaign aimed at trying to stop the trend of the spot going to the whoever won that year's X Factor contest (they'd previously tried different songs for a few years before then with limmited success). The band didn't really get involved until after it had already gathered a significant amount of momentum.
    Was it particularly valuable as a cause? No, but it's not as if Day's attempt at self-publisising is any more commendable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

It comes down to the single fact that charts, and the Christmas charts especially, are silly, pointless, and useless.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Linky

I'm a big fan of Alex Day, a British musician/Youtuber who is trying to storm the charts Christmas week by getting all of his fans to purchase his single on the same day/week. So far he's up to #4 on the British charts, which is awesome. I figured I'd spread a little love here, too.
    What the...? I don't even...?

Where's Brad Jones when you need him?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    RATM weren't actually behind that particular attempt at chart-jacking. Their song just happened to get picked by a couple of fans as part of a facebook a chart-jacking campaign aimed at trying to stop the trend of the spot going to the whoever won that year's X Factor contest (they'd previously tried different songs for a few years before then with limmited success). The band didn't really get involved until after it had already gathered a significant amount of momentum.
    Was it particularly valuable as a cause? No, but it's not as if Day's attempt at self-publisising is any more commendable.
    My understanding of the RATM thing was that the fans wanted to stick it to the corporate, faceless Simon Cowell product of the X Factor winner by getting the anti-establishment stylings of RATM the number one spot. The irony is that the X-Factor winner's music is owned by Sony Music, who also owns RATM's music, so all the anti-corporate "Let's Make RATM number 1" purchases went into Sony's pockets.

Alex is an independent artist, not a platinum-album big-label artist. Sure he's got a lot of Youtube subscribers but that's really his only platform. He doesn't have big star friends like Paul McCartney and Dave Grohl telling people to buy his songs. Plus he's giving all the money to charity anyway, so it's both cooler in that sense and more impressive if he gets the number 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Alex is an independent artist, not a platinum-album big-label artist. Sure he's got a lot of Youtube subscribers but that's really his only platform. He doesn't have big star friends like Paul McCartney and Dave Grohl telling people to buy his songs. Plus he's giving all the money to charity anyway, so it's both cooler in that sense and more impressive if he gets the number 1.
    This. I'd rather buy a decent pop song from an independent musician giving the money to World Vision (a charity that he has volunteered for in the past) than a decent pop song from a contract slave where the profits are going to fund efforts to pass SOPA. It doesn't hurt that I've been following him on Youtube for about two years now ;D

His original reason for doing it is here (Youtube Link). He agrees that the Christmas charts are usually bull these days, but this year the X-Factor song was released the week before Christmas, so he's got a chance at number 1.

Check out the i-Tunes chart. He's at #5 in the overall charts in the UK (and #5 in Sweden, and #10 in Ireland). He's also doing amazing in the Vocal charts (number 1 in nine countries), pretty good in the electronic charts (number 1 in the UK, number 4 in the US...), and even has a version on the alternative charts. That's quite an accomplishment for any musician, let alone an unsigned musician.