New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: [Nexus] Home 10

1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Home 10

Hallowmere Lake

Charity squeezes Edijar's hand. It feels so good to see Sunny in a home, even if it isn't something that she and Edijar have planned.

Sunny finishes setting the table, then goes to hug her sister tightly. This was only the second time she'd seen her sister since the wedding some months back, even though they emailed regularly.

"It looks beautiful. You and Carl did a wonderful job decorating," Charity says. "You look beautiful."

Sunny steps back a bit to look at her sister, trying to identify what was different. Finally she said, "You look older."

Charity knows what she's seeing - the effect of working as a medic, being around the sick and dying - but she isn't going to bring that up now, on a night of festivities. So she laughs it off. "Still older than you," she says. "What's for dinner?"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Front Gate]

Eventually, Harnel does indeed stop, and Kate will be heard. After a moment, Harnel will come to the gate and open it for her, "Come on in; I've been waiting for you. If I'm going to make equipment for you I'll need to take a few measurements, to make sure everything is the right length and shape.. by the end of it, you'll have some very good quality stuff. Now, do you want plate or something lighter?"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep - Front Gate

Kate will blink.

"Armor? I thought you were going to make some padding to use as sparring equipment. Um... I think something lighter, definitely. Don't want to limit my range of movement... and I'm not all that fit, so something light is necessary..."

She thinks.

"Maybe a chain shirt? I bet those are hard to make though. What metal are you going to use? If it's really light I may be able to get away with something a bit... but even scale messes with your range of movement... OH! and if you're making something, you should see this."

She takes off her backpack and turns around, revealing a hole in her shirt, which itself reveals some kind of large plug-in on her right shoulder. That's odd.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sparrow's Fall, World of Eight Moons]

"That would work, I think. Wouldn't even have to pay a film crew...", Trium muses, smiling happily, and going to wrap the blanket around them. "You've got some good ideas, especially now that you've stopped relying so heavily on that thing in your wrist."

[Talnissa's]

The robot laughs.

"They were overly fond of messing with other species, weren't they... What happened to them? Were they still around when you were dealing with the Wraith?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    The robot laughs.

"They were overly fond of messing with other species, weren't they... What happened to them? Were they still around when you were dealing with the Wraith?"
    "We noticed," Kara says dryly, chuckling, then turning serious. "And no...most of them were killed by their own creations in a war millenia prior...the remainder fled back to Earth and wound up Ascending, becoming some of the energy beings I was talking about."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

"Hm... Interesting. If they could become energy beings, why not do so there, and use that to win the war?"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Harnel will look curiously at the socket, examining it for a moment. He says as he does so, "We'll use wooden swords and padded armor for you during normal training, but you'll need some more reasonable equipment eventually."

"Now, what is this on your back?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

"That would work, I think. Wouldn't even have to pay a film crew...", Trium muses, smiling happily, and going to wrap the blanket around them. "You've got some good ideas, especially now that you've stopped relying so heavily on that thing in your wrist."

"Now, now, we needn't go that far."

Spec lightheartedly mock-chides.

"This compact doohickey has saved my scrawny hide more times than I can count on both hands and one foot. It is a rich resource that ought to be abused. I would have hacked it years ago if I had the know-how to pull it off. I am prohibited from using trial and error on it either. If I mess it up, it'll blow my arm off."

Spec pauses. From the expression Spec wears, Trium might gather that she doesn't like her wrist device. It is more a temptation than a cool resource. A temptation which would blast her arm and portions of her torso off if it ever malfunctioned due to a power shortage, physical component error, or misconfiguration.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

"Hm... Interesting. If they could become energy beings, why not do so there, and use that to win the war?"
    "Because as energy beings, they're forbidden from directly interfering in the affairs of mortals. A co-worker of my uncle's Ascended - humans can do it, at least some times anyway - and got tossed back to mortality because he kept trying to interfere and help," Kara explains, looking a tad sour.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Alexandrian View Post

"Now, now, we needn't go that far."

Spec lightheartedly mock-chides.

"This compact doohickey has saved my scrawny hide more times than I can count on both hands and one foot. It is a rich resource that ought to be abused. I would have hacked it years ago if I had the know-how to pull it off. I am prohibited from using trial and error on it either. If I mess it up, it'll blow my arm off."

Spec pauses. From the expression Spec wears, Trium might gather that she doesn't like her wrist device. It is more a temptation than a cool resource. A temptation which would blast her arm and portions of her torso off if it ever malfunctioned due to a power shortage, physical component error, or misconfiguration.

Trium thinks for a moment, looking curious, before reaching for the wrist device.

"Can I take a closer look at it, magically? And I thought you rather disliked people that hacked theirs? You certainly seemed quite offended when you thought I'd done so..."

Spec might be able to tell that Trium doesn't particularly like the thing either - mostly because it means her girlfriend has a malfunctioning bomb in her arm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    [Talnissa's]

"Because as energy beings, they're forbidden from directly interfering in the affairs of mortals. A co-worker of my uncle's Ascended - humans can do it, at least some times anyway - and got tossed back to mortality because he kept trying to interfere and help," Kara explains, looking a tad sour.
    [Talnissa's]

"Who forbids them? Other Ascended? If so, I'm surprised that they weren't patient enough to wait until they were the stronger side, and could thus change the laws..."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Mithar Keep - Bedroom, Later On]

Harnel frowns, looking at Cessie funny, "... A wetnurse? isn't that a bit... impersonal?"
    [Mithar Keep - Bedroom, Later On]

"Impersonal? It's common practice in Hestopia. My mother used a lot of wet nurses for instance." Cessie replies, sounding slightly confused. "And breastfeeding is supposed to have a number of advantages over goat milk, like a reduced chance of diseases and infections. I read it in a book I got from Isolde."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-12-28 at 08:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Harnel will look curiously at the socket, examining it for a moment. He says as he does so, "We'll use wooden swords and padded armor for you during normal training, but you'll need some more reasonable equipment eventually."

"Now, what is this on your back?"
    "Okay, so remember how I said that all the stuff that happened to me was a long story? Said long story ended with a mad scientist doing extensive surgery on me against my will, because Mad Science. This is a slot for, well, a third arm."

She pulls the artificial arm and the 'normal' hand out of her backpack, puts the hand on the arm and the arm into the slot. And it moves! Naturally, even.

"The weird thing is that it works perfectly; it's really only weird if I think about it, the same way that your whole body is weird if you think about it too much. So yeah, if I were to have time to prepare for an encounter instead of just being thrown into one, I would probably use my third arm here. You see, it came with a couple different hands: the hand here, a claw, a camera, and, well, a laser gun. And if I got to choose I would use the laser gun, to avoid close combat unless necessary."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Hell - City of Demons]

"If you really need to get a hold of Master, step on outside and beat some poor sap with a stick or something. She'll find you. Nobody knows where she lives. They say it'd be an unnecessary security risk."

"She sees everything, supposedly. One way or another, if you challenge her, you'll meet her, but trust me, buddy, you don't ever want to meet Master."

The bartender raises her index finger to her chin and strokes it thoughtfully. She is clearly pondering something or other.

"You smell like Master, but you don't know where she is. She hasn't chosen to protect you, has she?"

An innocent enough question. An innocent question with terrible consequences if Dave answers it incorrectly.
    Hell - City of Demons
    Dave thought for a moment. Clarissa possibly could be consider Master in this place, but then why would she say that finding the Master would help him?
    "Well, I met someone who I didn't know that said to find someone called Master here and who also said she'd protect me....so perhaps she has?"
    He shrugged.
    "I don't know, I'm just a ninja gym teacher who has a demon for a wife who's also an Incarnation of Gluttony, Lust, Envy, and Greed(I think), it's not like I know everything."
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

Harnel seems mighty confused as well, "Right, but why aren't you doing the breastfeeding? Your own milk is perfectly good, and you have the chance to do so, what with being pregnant and healthy. Is there a reason you can't?"

Harnel nods, thinking, "In that case, We'll be training for the use of all your arms, no exceptions, and We'll make sure you can use all of the hands you have effectively, gun included." Harnel will attempt to reach up and grab the metal hand. "Do you feel that?" she shouldn't Doctor Fields didn't put any feeling into the cybernetics, so it should feel a bit weird. "If you can't feel it, it'll complicate things... and make them easier."
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-12-28 at 02:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

That sentence causes Cessie to blush slightly, "I can't do that." That's for poor people! "Breastfeeding is supposed to be uncomfortable and unpleasant, not to mention... carnal."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

Harnel looks at her rather flatly, "Cessie, this is something mothers do to bond with their children and get used to having them around. They're family. Carnal shouldn't really be a problem."

17. - Top - End - #257

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

The mage fakes a cough, "Did your mother do that Harnel? I mean, she was a dragon after all."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

"She did. Why wouldn't she have?" Harnel says, tilting his head quizzically, "She made a lot of strides to be more like a human for the people around her."

19. - Top - End - #259

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

"I... breastfeeding isn't very common in Hestopia. If you can afford a wet nurse you usually have one." Cessie explains, looking as confused as Harnel as it seems so natural to him.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

"Breastfeeding is common practice in Ascaerin," Harnel says as a counter point, "As long as you're healthy, it's something to be done personally." he still looks confused.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

"Who forbids them? Other Ascended? If so, I'm surprised that they weren't patient enough to wait until they were the stronger side, and could thus change the laws..."
    "We don't know. It's just The Rules. And out of...well, we don't know how many there are, but precisely four Ascended (aside from the one of us) were helpful. All the rest were determined to enforce the law - or flaunt it on the dark side," Kara says with a sigh.
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2011-12-28 at 03:36 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #262

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

I'm not sure that counts as a counter point Harnel.

"I guess we got pretty different traditions then." Cessie replies as she looks at him. She don't look confused anymore at least.

"But as for breastfeeding, I'm not sure I would be ready for that. I never really considered children in general until I meet you and Aegnor."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

"Interesting... So the only way they might have been able to do that would have been to make a temporary alliance with the non-helpful ones that wanted to interfere?"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

It was as much a point as Cessie saying that's how it worked in her world

"It's something to think about at least. And if you do the breastfeeding yourself We'll have one less person we need to pay," draconic frugality at its finest, "but ultimately, the choice is yours. It's your body."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

[Talnissa's]

"Interesting... So the only way they might have been able to do that would have been to make a temporary alliance with the non-helpful ones that wanted to interfere?"
    Kara snorts in a decidely unladylike fashion.
    "Considering that the non-helpful ones wanted to be worshipped and to purge the universe of everyone who refused to bow to them? Not going to happen."

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Hell - City of Demons
    Dave thought for a moment. Clarissa possibly could be consider Master in this place, but then why would she say that finding the Master would help him?
    "Well, I met someone who I didn't know that said to find someone called Master here and who also said she'd protect me....so perhaps she has?"
    He shrugged.
    "I don't know, I'm just a ninja gym teacher who has a demon for a wife who's also an Incarnation of Gluttony, Lust, Envy, and Greed(I think), it's not like I know everything."
    [Hell - City of Demons]

Dave is a gym teacher! That might not last much longer. Clarissa has other plans for her spouse.

The bartender huffs despondently. Sigh.

"If you have a demon for a wife, then you are probably off limits. That's no fun. Here I thought we might be able to auction off your soul. Whatever."

The demon's eyes grow distant and flash suddenly. It takes her a moment to shake herself back to a relatively normal state.

"I have some good news and some bad news for you. The good news is, I think I know where Master is. The bad news is that she might not be able to see you right now."

The demon reaches up and rubs the back of her head, gaze turned to the floor.

"She's not well. She is in critical care over at the hospital."

Oh no!

-------

Trium thinks for a moment, looking curious, before reaching for the wrist device.

"Can I take a closer look at it, magically? And I thought you rather disliked people that hacked theirs? You certainly seemed quite offended when you thought I'd done so..."

Spec might be able to tell that Trium doesn't particularly like the thing either - mostly because it means her girlfriend has a malfunctioning bomb in her arm.

"Uh, sure! You can take a look at the machine if you want to."

Spec's wrist is probably seized and the contraption is likely examined! The results of this act will vary depending on what Trium is magically searching for!

"I envied the hackers. I was extremely jealous of the ones who were able to remove the device from their arm. Many of them lost the arm they had the device attached to in tampering with the device, but that is a risk that I am more than willing to accept."

27. - Top - End - #267

[Mithar Keep - Bedroom]

"I don't think we would hire a wet nurse just for that service but we'll see what I will end up doing." She tells him, smiling slightly. "In any case, isn't it time for those thankmas gifts?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2011-12-28 at 04:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    [Talnissa's]

Kara snorts in a decidely unladylike fashion.
    "Considering that the non-helpful ones wanted to be worshipped and to purge the universe of everyone who refused to bow to them? Not going to happen."
    [Talnissa's]

"I did say temporary. Though I suppose you'd prefer a solution where only the helpful ones would be able to interfere..."

"Uh, sure! You can take a look at the machine if you want to."

Spec's wrist is probably seized and the contraption is likely examined! The results of this act will vary depending on what Trium is magically searching for!

"I envied the hackers. I was extremely jealous of the ones who were able to remove the device from their arm. Many of them lost the arm they had the device attached to in tampering with the device, but that is a risk that I am more than willing to accept."

Basically, she's using magic to, quite literally, look around inside it, searching for the bomb, and also generally examining the internal workings of it. If she can find the explosive, she'll then try to magically determine its chemical composition.

"Ah. That makes sense, then... I might be able to help you remove it, if you want..."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Harnel nods, thinking, "In that case, We'll be training for the use of all your arms, no exceptions, and We'll make sure you can use all of the hands you have effectively, gun included." Harnel will attempt to reach up and grab the metal hand. "Do you feel that?" she shouldn't Doctor Fields didn't put any feeling into the cybernetics, so it should feel a bit weird. "If you can't feel it, it'll complicate things... and make them easier."
    After a moment, Harnel may notice that the arm tries to move. After a bit, Kate will shake her head. "I can't feel it like I had skin, but I can feel the resistance in the joints."

A moment.

"So, where do we start?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

It seems that the device spans the entire length of Spec's arm. It is hooked into her bicep. Wires are strung through her joints and tiny holes bored into her bones. Removing it would require massive surgery. Components of it are scattered throughout Spec's arm seemingly at random. The explosive resides behind the interface of the contraption itself itself. It can only be set off by an electrical signal from the device, and is rather inert to any other energy source or environmental change. It is a powerful explosive. If it were to prime itself and detonate, Spec wouldn't survive. Nor would the person standing beside her. The same would go for the ten or so people standing beside the one next to Spec. The blast radius would be gigantic for such a small cube of explosive material. Trium might also note that the explosive would be triggered if the gadget were removed from Spec's body without it first being powered down. It would respond to the detected heat change in its surroundings.

"Do you truly think you can dispose of it?"

Spec inquires, both looking and sounding very hopeful.