New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

For countless years, the mortal races lived in peace and prosperity. Under the teachings of the Three Thrones; Oralius, goddess of love, Ashelon, god of Justice, and Akasha, god of Destiny, mortals knew little true strife. Their mistakes did cause them grief as is inevitable, but their wounds were tended and succor was given.

This golden age ended when mortals became full of pride. They began to seek knowledge and power of their own. Priests were replaced by wizards, and the secular grew more favored than the sacred. The mortal mages grew to overestimate their own power, and mastery over the fickle forces of the arcane.

In an act of cataclysmic foolishness, they attempted to bridge the gulf between the material realm and the other planes, so that they could be free to conquer. Instead, they quickly found themselves overwhelmed as the fiends of the Lower Planes poured through the gates they had created. The mortal lands were quickly reduced to nothing more than another front of the Blood War.

In this Time of Horrors, you find yourself struggling to make a difference. For you are of a dying breed. You took an oath as a defender of justice, and the virtues the Three Thrones gave to mortalkind. You are the Last Paladin.

Wind howls through the twilight, catching your long hair and whipping it about. As you've headed northward up this craggy, desolate road, the wind has grown stronger and colder. Nevertheless you push on, knowing you cannot turn back.

You turn your face from the wind, and the scar tissue on your face pulls. While not terribly noticeable, the wound wrought by demon claw resists complete healing, even by your restorative powers.

The feeling of the claw wound reminds you of how you got it, at the last village you tried to defend. While sometimes you are able to protect a village and its inhabitants, this time you failed; the ravaging spawn of the Abyss rent the bodies of every man, woman and child. For some reason, after defeating you they let you live, perhaps as a way of salting the wound, or simply at a whim. Such is the nature of the demons.

Now, you continue your grim, lonely pilgrimage. It has been over a day since you've rested, but you do not slow down your pace; while you can't see anything amiss, you sense something watching you.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Last Paladin IC (Frosty)

Karrin pauses on the road. Her earlier defeat weighs heavily on her mind and conscience. She may have not particualrly cared for those people, but she made a decision to protect them damnit and she wasn't able to! "Show yourself! I am NOT in the mood for any bull crap at the moment, and I won't hesitate to show you the extend of my frustration if you are hostile."

She tightens the grip on her lance as she plants it on the ground, ready for a fight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

A shadow falls as a large shape circles over you. Eventually, it lands, revealing a green dragon with a wingspan of about 15 feet. Its appearance is more than merely ferocious; it is fiendish.

"Sahqo Luv. I am Vulthuryol, scion of the Harbringer. I have been hunting you for some time, human. Feasting on the flesh of the last paladin would brimg me much honor."

The dragon lets out a roar of challenge; it perches 30 ft. from you up the road.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 48/48  AC: 18 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Pissed off
    A child of something called the Harbinger, that seeks to destroy paladins? This thing is surely evil as much as the night is black. She quickly tries to remember whether Liriam has ever mentioned such a creature in the past.

The paladin's mouth curls up in a smile that reveals her pearly whites. It is not a heart-warming smile however. Rather it is one of hunger and passion. "Thank you, Vul-McEvilPants. I've been WAITING for an appropriate target to vent my anger on. You've...just...MADE...MY...DAY!"

Karrin's eyes's narrow as she focuses upon Vul-whatever, and then she charges, lance in hand!
    Spoiler
    Show
    First, Knowledge rolls to ID the creature and its weaknesses.
    Religion: (1d20+7)[21]
    Planes: (1d20+10)[24]

Swift Action: Smite Evil on Vulthuryol

Full-Round Action: Charge with Lance (AC penalty already taken into account)
    Attack (+4 Smite, +2 Charge): (1d20+14)[15]
    Damage (+4 Smite): (1d8+8)[11]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

(Ok, Nat 1? ouch.)
    Your charge fails as the dragon laughs.
    "Mey ni draco. You have spirit, at least. This battle may prove to be entertaining after all. Nevertheless, you are no match for me. If you were wise, you would flee."

You recall that the Harbinger was one of the first devils to establish a domain in Validor. He is known to have sired many half-flesh spawn since.

The dragon opens its mouth, and barks a few words in a language whose sound you find revolting. An oily black cloud forms before you, roiling up around you as though with a life of its own.

The cloud strikes you, sending a spike of pain into your very soul. Your entire body is wracked with pain, and you struggle even to stand.

Take 10 damage, half on successful Will save.
    If save fails, be sickened for (1d4)[1] rounds.
    Will Save (DC 16):(1d20+7)[15]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 38/48 healed 10  AC: 20 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Sickened (removed)
    Damn her footing! Has the Three Thrones already found her unfit and abandoned her? "It would not surprise me..." thinks Karrin as she steadies herself for a slightly less reckless attack. But before that...

"*cough *HACK* Oh...oh GODDESSES! You're right, I may very well have to flee from your BAD BREATH! UHHHRG! Don't you ever brush?" If the cloud persists, she powers through the pain to move out of the way first before her left hand glows bright white, and wholesome energy washes the pain away from her body.

"But, I will not allow your disgusting habits to defeat me. It's a wonder you've been able to sire ANYTHING, Vul-face!" she taunts as she stabs at Vul.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If cloud persists, Move Action: Move out of cloud.

Swift Action: Lay On Hands on self (removes Sickened): (2d6)[10]
    Standard Action: Stab with Lance
    Attack (+4 Smite): (1d20+12)[30]
    Damage (+4 Smite): (1d8+8)[11]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2011-12-20 at 12:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The dragon's eyes narrow viciously at your retort. His head jabs forward serpent-like, razor sharp teeth flashing. You parry the blow with your lance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 48/48  AC: 20 + 4 vs Vulthuryol  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Encouraged
    Seeing her lance strike true, she smiles. Maybe she can do SOME good today after all.

"Wow, your bark really IS worse than your bite. Sit, doggy, sit! Play dead! Play REALLY dead!" Karrin shouts with sadistic laughter as she stabs yet again at Vul's tongue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard Action: Stab with Lance
    Attack (+4 Smite): (1d20+12)[21]
    Damage (+4 Smite): (1d8+8)[13]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Your lance blow pierces Vulthuryol's cheek, spilling acrid hissing blood upon the ground. The dragon lets out a wordless shriek, jumping back.

Attack of Opportunity:
    (1d20+12)[29], (1d8+8)[9]

The dragon turns on his wings and soars into the night. He lets off one particularly enraged roar before disappearing altogether.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-20 at 02:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 48/48  AC: 20  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Victorious!
    "What's the matter? Cat got yer tongue? Oh no wait, that was ME!" Alas, further taunting did not stop Vul from fleeing the scene like the decisive loser he is. Karrin feels a rush of eophoria from her victory. She sure needed it after her last fiasco.

However, after a minute or so, the euphoria faded, and she is still left with the feeling failure...her failure to defend the previous village. She turns and continues walking the way she was going originally.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The wind grows stronger and colder. You notice the sky has grown overcast, making the night even darker; you strain your eyes into the inky blackness.

A snowflake sails past you. You didn't realize it was so cold; you ache all over, and you feel the chill in your bones. You can go no further tonight.

Perception (take 20): 18
    You notice what looks like an entrance to a cave beside the road. You proceed into it, realizing you don't have much of an option at this point.

There is a dank, musty smell as you proceed into the cave. Slime clings to the walls, where there isn't pale fungus or mold. The floor is worn smooth, and occasionally you see a bone.

The cavern opens outward, into a chamber approx. 20 ft. across. While it is for the most part empty, you see what looks like scorch marks on the floor. Aside the way you came in, there is a small crack in the back wall, concealed behind a row of stalagmites.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Alert to the fact that she may have stumbled upon some animal's den, Karrin has her lance ready but not in a threatening position. She walks forward carefully, and will go to investigate that back wall assuming she doesn't see any threats along the way.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

You find an opening, leading to a small, rough-hewn tunnel about four feet tall and three feet wide. A terrible stench lingers inside, and you hear what sounds like the clamor of combat echoing down from inside.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The paladin bends down a bit, with her lance now in combat position. Someone might need her help in there! She moves as quickly as she can in a slouched position.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Crawling on your hands and knees, you fit through the too-small tunnel barely, your back scratching the ceiling. However carved this tunnel was a relatively poor craftsman; even you can tell that. The stench is nearly unbearable, and somehow gets worse as you push on.

Eventually, you come to the other end of the tunnel. Crouching behind a stalagmite, you look into the large room beyond. Near your position, you see a human woman (hf) armed with a large sword and shield struggling against a band of goblins (g). Across a river, there is at least one other visible goblin watching. A particularly nasty one is running across a wooden bridge. To your right, there is a pit, to your left a large but shoddy looking gate.

Stealth: (1d20-5)[-1]
    The goblins immediately notice you, and start shouting in their ugly tongue.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-20 at 06:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Initiative:
    You: (1d20+1)[8]
    Goblins:(1d20+6)[17]
    Map (Google Doc)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The goblins attack first. One charges at you, only for you to impale it on your lance. Its corpse slides off, landing on the dank cave floor.

From farther in, two goblins shoot arrows at you. One nicks you, causing a minor scratch.

Take 1 damage.
    (Normally I roll your AoOs in forum, but this was faster. In the future, you will see your AoOs)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Code:
    Karrin Ye
    HP: 48/48  AC: 18  Saves: 11F / 7R / 7W
    Conditions: Pissed off
    She was going to try to see if the fighting can come to a stop, but then they just HAD to shoot at her, so now it's ON! Stepping over the dead goblin in front of her, she performs her own charge at one of the goblins close to the human. "FLEE BEFORE ME if you want to live, goblins!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Full-Round Action: Charge with Lance at goblin in square 8H (stop at square 10H)
    Attack (+2 Charge): (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Once again, you completely impale your foe upon your weapon. The remaining goblins fall back. You take the opportunity to thrust at one.
    Attack of Opportunity:
    (1d20+8)[17], (1d8+4)[10]
    Your thrust neatly pierces the goblin's torso, and it falls never to stand again.

One of the goblins shoot at you. The arrow deflects off your armor.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2011-12-20 at 09:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Karrin takes a few seconds to survey the room and make sure that there are no goblins circling aroind back to stab her in the back, and then turns to the woman with the shield. "Are you all right, miss?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

You study the woman. She is wears piecemeal armor of scale and leather, which is battered and weathered. Her sword, however, would not look out of place amongst the nobility of old.

She struggles to a sitting position. Her face is dirtied and bloodied; her short brown hair disheveled and fallen out of the leather band that had tied it back.
    "Lost fight... not going anywhere for a while..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Staying here is dangerous, however. They might come back with reinforcements. Here, let me help you."

The paladin's hands glow white again as she lays hands upon the woman, and then helps her up.

Lay On Hands: (2d6)[9]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"A healing spell? Are you a priest?" she asks as she stands.
    "Regardless, thank you. My name is Mirabell."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"A priest? No. I'm hardly a woman of faith. I'm just a paladin. Now, which way did you come from? I was looking for some shelter, but this might not be the place we'd want to spend the night."

Did Karrin just say that she's a paladin with little faith?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"I came in through that gate. The goblins closed it behind me to try and trap me. I would have beat them, but there were too many."

You notice a dozen goblin bodies that were dead before you arrived.

"Whatever we do, we should do it quickly; there are a lot more goblins farther in. Past that gate, the cavern leads to a dry lake bed. They'll be expecting us to go that way, though. Where did you come from?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"You can call me Ms. Ye. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I crawled in through that hole over there. Think you can fit through it with all of your equipment?"

She points to where she arrived from.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"Shouldn't be too hard. You got through in plate. I think this is the better option, as they won't be able to take advantage of their numbers or their bows."

From deeper in the caves, you here the sound of drums.

"We better hurry. They won't take long to get here."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"You go first. I'll cover the rear...cuz it'll be MY rear they'll be shooting at." jokes Karrin as she nudges Mirabell towards the tunnel quickly.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

You crawl back through the tunnel, returning to the cave you first entered.
    "Well, we can certainly hold them here. Maybe if we're lucky, the hole will clog with corpses and they won't be able to get through. The lake bed I told you about before? If we are where I think we are, there's a ravine between here and there. Mind you, I'm no dwarf."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like we'll need to take turns keeping watch. You look more battered, so you should probably rest first. I wonder if we can just block the tunnel. See any large rocks we can use?"